Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

holy bills!

Comments

• Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    Nice, poor sims who can't afford this will definitely feel the challenges of poverty now.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    I wish people had voted for off-the-grid in the farming pack. Solar panels would be nice about now.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Yeah the bills are so ridiculous. My Sims live in Oasis Spring and I turned on thermostat as the toddler was cold during the winter. The bills were $69K. My Sims only had $100K. My Sims are going to be bankrupt at this rate. Makes the game a bit interesting right now, as my Sims always have tons of money. But with my garden, & most plants dormant (during winter), my Sims aren't making tons of money right now. The mom is writer...and she does have a couple grand coming in on book royalties and the dad is in the gardening career and also does archaeology where they send him random artifacts from time to time....but I'm thinking that if bills are that high next Monday....my Sims could be toast. No way my Sims can afford that without the income from the garden.

Might be time to invest in a greenhouse and more frequent trips to Selvadorado.

@Aeroprincess87 Yeah for sure. My Sims don't have any space on the lot for a greenhouse, unfortunately. It might be time for a new house LOL. It's almost Spring so I'll get my money maker back in a few days.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I haven't even added a thermostat to their home yet, maybe that's why they keep lighting the fireplace.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    I turned on the thermostat as soon as I put it in and have had it on the whole time, my bills went from around ~17k to around ~55k!! This isn't a problem considering my sims have a lot of extra money laying around (seriously, they've got around 1.5mil simoleons that I have NOTHING to do with)
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    well note to self AGAIN don't set to cooler either! lol I got the "morgue like" icon

lmao that's my favorite home temperature setting irl
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    I got my first bills and I started seasons on my game in late fall I turned on my thermostat to warmer costs more and my bill was $26,000!! haha (note to self set therm at cooler cost less!!)

My bill was 58000! I start from fall season.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I just got one.. $123,000. My Sims are rich, but come on?

• Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    So I'm guessing if you pay attention to the weather and only turn the thermostat on really extreme temp days your bills won't be as crazy? Can you freeze to death in your home if it's not warm enough or is the fact that it's a shelter just makes them uncomfortable?
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    HaleStorm87HaleStorm87 Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2018
    One of my sims is a writer so all those published books cover the cost but yeah its high.

I have at least one with the frugal trait, does it stack?

If only we have fans to help cool or blankets for couches to help :)
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    Oh boy.. I have a 5 bedroom house and 2 bathrooms... so it's pretty spacious and now I feel like my Founder is going to be struggling because the thermostat will probably make their bills really high.. and she doesn't have a job as this challenge requires you to make money from other stuff. Good thing I have her cooking to 10 and working on her gardening skill + she has almost level 8-9 in painting skill. So, she gonna have to get to work! lol.
  • Options
    concieconcie Posts: 4 New Member
    > @mollymegan30 said:
    > I got my first bills and I started seasons on my game in late fall I turned on my thermostat to warmer costs more and my bill was $26,000!! haha (note to self set therm at cooler cost less!!)

Oh no, I'm half way through fall. Now I'm worried lol.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    if I just have fires in the main rooms, and no thermostat on, will their bills still go up??
  • Options
    concieconcie Posts: 4 New Member
    > @CrystalAbyss1 said:
    > AquaGamer1212 wrote: »
    >
    > CrystalAbyss1 wrote: »
    >
    > so what happens if you’re sim can’t afford to pay bills? I had my sim quit their job just before I got my bill :# because the household was making a lot of money fast and I don’t want them having so much. My bill was originally 10-12k and it jumped to 41.5k I only had it 2 days so far
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Better have your sim on their knees begging the boss for their job back :D
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > His wife is still working and I have 380k now left but I don’t want to blow right through it...I was planning on killing him off too.

Painting and selling your art directly is pretty profitable. I use the wishing well to get skills to boost, use the night owl trait to make them grow even faster, and you get good at painting really fast.
  • Options
    powers6180powers6180 Posts: 15 New Member
    Hey! One thing to reduce the bills if you are doing some sort of lets play or challenge where you need to save money, turn the thermostat on only when nessary, and turn the lights on auto lights. Anyway, hope I could help. Happy Simming! -@powers6180
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    What if you don't add a thermostat at all? Does the temperature fluctuate?

Most of my sims are poor...
  • Options
    powers6180powers6180 Posts: 15 New Member
    @elanorbreton Yes, I do believe so. I'm not sure because I have never gone without one. It would be best to have one if you can use a money cheat. I highly recommend the cheat:
    Ctrl>shift>c
    Testingcheats on (or) testingcheats true (whatever one works for you)
    money ______ (fill in the _____ with the amount you want in your household funds. If you want 25,000 household funds type money 25000)
    Hope I helped! Happy Simming! -@powers6180
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    What if you don't add a thermostat at all? Does the temperature fluctuate?

Most of my sims are poor...

They can get warm with a fireplace or firepit and they can wear their winter clothes inside .. you can make 5 outfits.
    I haven't gotten bills yet and I'm skipping around has anyone gotten huge bills that lives in a small house?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I started with a fairly new save and a very small house, and just finished Spring and Summer - with the AC on for most of summer, the bill went from around $250 to $500 (and as well, there was a lot of new artwork in the house) so not outrageous.

Does auto-lights really affect the bills? I never thought there was a correlation.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I feel like this is a bug? If not it should be changed. Unless you’re living in a mansion, bills should not be that high.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Same thing happened to me although I was luckier I suppose, my Sims only owed just over 19,000. It's a cool way to raise bills for story purposes I guess but I think it's meant to only be used on "heat wave" or "freezing" days. Still, I have to admit I'm a little scared to use it again. X-D
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited June 2018
    Grynn wrote: »
    Nice, poor sims who can't afford this will definitely feel the challenges of poverty now.

I love this challenging element to the game. I have a lot of poor Sims as well. The struggle is already real.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    For me, I have yet to notice the increase. My Sims only have used the thermostat when it's a heatwave or freezing outside. So my Sims bills have remained in like 1K depending on where they live. Unless it hasn't been noticed by me yet...
  • Options
    SimsFreak2387SimsFreak2387 Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2018
    You only need to turn the thermostat on when it's COLD or HOT or worse, not WARM or COOL.
    <3I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here. <3
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    You only need to turn the thermostat on when it's COLD or HOT, not WARM or COOL.

Yeah I only do it when the Sim complains they are cold or hot.