March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Awfulness of Maxis-created Lots

2...Next

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    It's been this way since TS2, my first sims game.
    I personally believe that it's partly intentional. Awful lots encourages building your own and having a community of builders other simmers will seek out to get better lots. If Maxis created fantastic lots there would be very little need for a community of builders or to tweak/build anything yourself.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I agree @CK213 I like some of the lots but go into them and change them to my liking. They all have just the base game and houses to show off the objects and build stuff that that particular pack has to accommodate those who haven't bought everything.

I have got some building ideas from them though so they are useful.
  • Hoghead9400Hoghead9400 Posts: 8 New Member
    I enjoy remodeling the pre-made lots, but what really bugs me is apartment buildings in San Myshuno where the wallpaper on exterior (can't change) is the wallboard and doesn't match.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I certainly think there's something to the notion that they just don't care and figure then players will replace the lots anyway.

With that said, some of the lots are well done. I guess it's the inconsistency that bugs me the most.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm planning on going through and tweaking/remodeling most of the premades. I won't bulldoze them completely though or make them unrecognizeable, because I tend to like them. I just want to flesh them out more. The community lots especially.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I hate how empty and boring they are... I get that if there's a new pack that brings a new world with it they can't use other packs than base game and the pack that the world came with because not everyone has every single pack in the game. It's just why do you have to make so big houses if you can't fill up the whole 10x10 kitchen with something that makes it worth having that gigantic kitchen. I hate the empty space and I'm too lazy to decorate the houses myself.

One thing that frustrates me so much is that one house in Brindleton Bay where one of the windows is on a different level from the others...
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    I either renovate or tear down the lots I don't like. The gym in Windenburg was bulldozed to make room for a nice bowling alley,and I renovated the Rattlesnake Bar into a pizzeria named Coyote Pizza. One building in Brindleton Bay was bulldozed and replaced with a Showbiz Pizza Place building,and the Garden Path House was transformed into a gift shop. Bulldozing and replacing lots I don't like makes the worlds more interesting.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I either renovate or tear down the lots I don't like. The gym in Windenburg was bulldozed to make room for a nice bowling alley,and I renovated the Rattlesnake Bar into a pizzeria named Coyote Pizza. One building in Brindleton Bay was bulldozed and replaced with a Showbiz Pizza Place building,and the Garden Path House was transformed into a gift shop. Bulldozing and replacing lots I don't like makes the worlds more interesting.

Someone really likes their pizza... :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • alyssuhalyssuh Posts: 7 New Member
    That gym is honestly one of the most frustrating parts of the game lmao
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I tend to get rid of the gym in Willow Creek. It doesn't feel very gym-like and its design is just really awkward. Also, depending on the atmosphere of a playthrough, I'll also get rid of the Blue Velvet for a build of my own that has a more grungy, industrial vibe to it. I don't have too many qualms gameplay wise or design wise with the Windenburg gym, though. The locker room on the basement level makes a cool transition area from the front door to the gym proper...though, I can see how it can be annoying for players who just want their sims to get to working out already.

I usually only use the pre-built homes as temp housing (with a few exceptions), and either abandon or remodel them as needed...or, I'll just use them as a holding place for NPC's I want to have more interaction with. With pre-built venues, I'll destroy the ones I find ugly, boring, or repetitive. After all, I've got to put my Goth/Vampire bar somewhere... ;)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    This reminds me of that community lot downtown in Old Town in TS1, where they built it on purpose to be blocked by the Sax player. Up and down those stairs to get to a bathroom, you knew your Sim was going to be blocked in it all night. Maybe things are on purpose. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    I tend to rehaul a lot of pre-made Maxis lots.

For whatever reason in the majority of games most of the lots just aren't good or forget a few things. In the Sims 2 there was a restaurant that didn't even have a bathroom. :neutral: Sims had a bad time wetting themselves and crying about it. Haha.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm probably a little strange, but I like most of Maxis builds. (granted, I added a door to that wall in the gym) ...And I hate most of the furnishing choices and emptying them and redecorating is always one of my first tasks, but I'll also admit I'm a 90's kid so my taste is probably questionable anyway..or at least that's what people tell me about us 90's kids :D I tend to like lighter, airy colors and bold bright ones too. All the browns and burnt oranges they use icks me out.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.