Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[SEASONS] Not Enough Holiday Traditions

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
So the game has maybe 45 or so options for you to select when creating your own custom holidays. I’ve made so far Veteran’s Day, 4th of July, Easter, and Halloween. There are a few more holidays I’d like to add but I don’t see appropriate activities listed to select. We have so many socialization options and things they could’ve added, but they only included a small amount.

I don’t think there are enough options. It really looks like I will be choosing the same traditions over and over for different holidays because there’s such a small pool to choose from.

Maybe CC creators can somehow come up with a way to add more holiday traditions so we can truly customize these holidays and play the way we want to.

Some of you will be in shock when you see you cannot be particular with activities like you can with say club activities for example.

I’ve seen a thread up here with people describing how they will customize their holidays. Someone mentioned they wanted to create a Grilled Cheese holiday for example and as a tradition they want sims to gain extra happiness and fulfill holiday goals by eating grilled cheese, talking about grilled cheese, cooking grilled cheese, etc. Well in the game, there is no way to select grilled cheese as a tradition.

Traditions are not this customizable. We can only select from a small pool of premade activities and for those of us who really wanna make these unique specific holidays, you will be unable to add them as traditions.

And if you can’t set it as a tradition, you’re just telling your sim to do these things on their own which we could already do which totally negates creating holidays in the first place.
Post edited by Chazzzy on

Comments

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    You can still make a grilled cheese holiday by choosing baking/cooking as the tradition. Then make only grilled cheese. It will still count, but I do agree that we could use more traditions. I'm actually more disappointed in the number of icons we have to choose from. Not nearly enough, just like the clubs. Needed a modder to fix that, too.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    For a grilled cheese holiday could you invite guests for a gc meal, give gc as gifts or appreciate gc as an object?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I'm actually more disappointed in the number of icons we have to choose from. Not nearly enough, just like the clubs. Needed a modder to fix that, too.

Yea I had to download a mod to give me more club icons too. Maybe they’ll extend that mod so it’ll apply for holiday icons as well.
    rudolpha wrote: »
    For a grilled cheese holiday could you invite guests for a gc meal, give gc as gifts or appreciate gc as an object?

Some objects you’re unable to appreciate. The option isn’t available. For example bookshelf is one. I’m not sure if you can click on a plate and appreciate.

Not sure if you can give food objects from your inventory. But I gave a Sim a pile of dirty laundry lol so maybe.
  • jaymancrazjaymancraz Posts: 92 Member
    I think 30 is actually really great.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    It's actually 46 traditions and most likely 47 with fireworks (don't have game yet but got a list from somewhere).
    edited June 2018
    jaymancraz wrote: »
    I think 30 is actually really great.

I thought so too until I started doing more custom holidays. I found myself picking the same traditions over and over and looking for a tradition that’s not even available to choose.
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    I haven't played yet so I can't say for sure how it will feel but I do agree that there doesn't seem to be enough. It would be fine if they planned to add new ones in the future but since they don't, I definitely would have liked more choices.
    Personally I would have loved some more "negative" traditions, like doing voodoo, drinking sims' plasma, etc. I would also have liked to be able to choose which sims to give presents to, which objects to admire... So that the other sims actually do that, and don't just admire random things everywhere... I don't know, those traditions are so broad that they don't even actually make sense.
    Also I'm not sure how the "something spirit" type of traditions work. For instance if it is "spooky spirit", do you have to make the spooky social interactions, or do other things like listening to spooky music, talking to ghosts, doing voodoo... do anything?
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    I haven't played yet so I can't say for sure how it will feel but I do agree that there doesn't seem to be enough. It would be fine if they planned to add new ones in the future but since they don't, I definitely would have liked more choices.
    Personally I would have loved some more "negative" traditions, like doing voodoo, drinking sims' plasma, etc. I would also have liked to be able to choose which sims to give presents to, which objects to admire... So that the other sims actually do that, and don't just admire random things everywhere... I don't know, those traditions are so broad that they don't even actually make sense.
    Also I'm not sure how the "something spirit" type of traditions work. For instance if it is "spooky spirit", do you have to make the spooky social interactions, or do other things like listening to spooky music, talking to ghosts, doing voodoo... do anything?

You can talk to ghosts. But in my case I don’t have any ghosts so adding that tradition would be pointless unless I send my Sim somewhere where ghosts are. I don’t know about spooky music.

For example, I added the Rememberance tradition to my Veteran’s Day holiday. But I don’t have any urns or tombstones on my home lot, so special interactions don’t appear anywhere. I’d have to send my Sim somewhere where there is an urn or tombstone or maybe place one from B.B. Mode. I didn’t try that but so far I wasn’t able to fulfill that holiday tradition.
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    I figure it's something that will be a lot more useful as soon as modders can expand it.
    I figure it's something that will be a lot more useful as soon as modders can expand it.

Hopefully the modders capable of making these changes have purchased seasons and are working on it lol can’t wait for all the Seasons mods to come
  • AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member

Maybe add your group with your holiday...example / have your group do all the specifics that the holidays doesn't have and then when making
    the holiday add five more things you want then combine the two.

It may not help the world but will help the main ones you want and the world will still celebrate however not as deep as your household and group.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited June 2018
    According to a combinations calculator, making a 5 tradition holiday with 46 options to choose from, apparently there are....

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Maths can be so useful at times.

edit: someone double check this for me. I find it hard to believe lol
    giphy.gif
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    According to a combinations calculator, making a 5 tradition holiday with 46 options to choose from, apparently there are....

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Take CL’s fireworks and it’s 184,072,680 even. Your calculations were correct :).
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I personally just wish there were more religious traditions. It's nice that they included lighting the Menorah and fasting, but I would have like to see a "go to church" tradition or something of the like since they wouldn't use the actual word church.

I saw that "attend holiday ceremony" or something like that was an option, which I assumed was to be their way to include going to church without being too specific, but the description of it seems so weird and basic. Almost like you just go to any random place and the tradition is fulfilled. Of course, I don't have the game yet so I can't judge it yet, but if that is the case, that's disappointing for me personally.
    I personally just wish there were more religious traditions. It's nice that they included lighting the Menorah and fasting, but I would have like to see a "go to church" tradition or something of the like since they wouldn't use the actual word church.

I saw that "attend holiday ceremony" or something like that was an option, which I assumed was to be their way to include going to church without being too specific, but the description of it seems so weird and basic. Almost like you just go to any random place and the tradition is fulfilled. Of course, I don't have the game yet so I can't judge it yet, but if that is the case, that's disappointing for me personally.

Yea I was looking for something like that when I made Easter. I’m not sure how they could make it more religious aside from lighting candles.

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Haha I can't believe you took the time to do the maths! X) It does sound like a lot but concretely there are traditions that you are probably never going to pair together. I can't imagine any context in which you would want to watch sports while wearing a costume and lighting a menora for instance :D
    I wonder, does order have an impact on the way you calculated those combinations though? What I mean is, if you want to calculate the number of combinations for a code, 1 2 3 is definitely different than 1 3 2. But for the traditions, the order doesn't matter. So imagining traditions are numbers, holiday 12345 and holiday 12354 (and all the other possible orders in which those first 5 traditions could be) are actually the exact same holiday. Anyway I don't know if you took it into account, just asking out of curiosity. X)
    I haven't done maths in... A while!
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Haha I can't believe you took the time to do the maths! X) It does sound like a lot but concretely there are traditions that you are probably never going to pair together. I can't imagine any context in which you would want to watch sports while wearing a costume and lighting a menora for instance :D
    I wonder, does order have an impact on the way you calculated those combinations though? What I mean is, if you want to calculate the number of combinations for a code, 1 2 3 is definitely different than 1 3 2. But for the traditions, the order doesn't matter. So imagining traditions are numbers, holiday 12345 and holiday 12354 (and all the other possible orders in which those first 5 traditions could be) are actually the exact same holiday. Anyway I don't know if you took it into account, just asking out of curiosity. X)
    I haven't done maths in... A while!

Hehe. I didn't do the maths on my own. I used a calculator. I wish I had the brains to make such calcuations! :smile: When I did the calculation (or rather, when I punched the numbers in) I told it order was not important. I think order will change the outcome though.

I used this:

https://www.hackmath.net/en/calculator/combinations-and-permutations?n=46&k=5&order=0&repeat=0

giphy.gif
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

It all depends on your imagination :) I feel like it's not so uncommon to watch sports at some point of any Holiday, and you can interpret costumes as wearing colors of your favourite team (let's say it would be a llama costume) - so here you go :tongue:
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    For what I've played with thus far they definitely give us a lot of possibilities to make for different holidays as closely as possible. Hoping they'll add some more in the future to get a bit closer to more specific holidays that aren't as. Major as the others.

I know they can't add every thing for different religions and holidays, but what they put in has been way more exclusive and diverse than any sims game at all. Definitely will be interesting to see modders open this up more to make even more specific holidays.

Like I'd like a tradition to appreciate sims that are parents to make like a mothers or father's day a lot better.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited June 2018
    @Chazzzy what else do you think they could have added? I don''t have the game yet but irl all i can think to do for holidays is eat, talk, relax, eat more, maybe sports, gifts....

@ListentoToppDogg as far as going to church, I think you can set where to send your sims for that special event you create. So if you have a church in your world you can send your sims there?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

It all depends on your imagination :) I feel like it's not so uncommon to watch sports at some point of any Holiday, and you can interpret costumes as wearing colors of your favourite team (let's say it would be a llama costume) - so here you go :tongue:

Haha :D I know there always is that one guy who wants to make something special and who would totally come dressed up as a mascotte, but having everyone wear a llama costume to watch sports on TV sounds a little bit extreme! It would be super creepy actually x) like a llama cult or something. Especially if they light candles and stuff. Haha!
    But yeah I still think some combinations just wouldn't make sense. I mean, add father winter and egg hunting into the equation and I think it is pretty clear that llama cult holiday just wouldn't make sense at all :D
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited June 2018
    @ListentoToppDogg as far as going to church, I think you can set where to send your sims for that special event you create. So if you have a church in your world you can send your sims there?

@BlkBarbiegal I hope that'll be the case. I'm hoping I'll be able to play a bit tonight to see for myself :D

• MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Haha :D I know there always is that one guy who wants to make something special and who would totally come dressed up as a mascotte, but having everyone wear a llama costume to watch sports on TV sounds a little bit extreme! It would be super creepy actually x) like a llama cult or something. Especially if they light candles and stuff. Haha!
    But yeah I still think some combinations just wouldn't make sense. I mean, add father winter and egg hunting into the equation and I think it is pretty clear that llama cult holiday just wouldn't make sense at all :D

Oh yeah? Avengers: Infinity War is said to be the most ambitious crossover, but TS4 has your back - the most ambitious crossover of holidays! :D Come to think about it, it's kinda similar to the plot of the Rise of the Guardians...

More on the topic though, I feel like more general traditions allow for more variety in holidays. Maybe it'll change when I'll have the pack on my own, but we'll see.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    For what I've played with thus far they definitely give us a lot of possibilities to make for different holidays as closely as possible. Hoping they'll add some more in the future to get a bit closer to more specific holidays that aren't as. Major as the others.

I know they can't add every thing for different religions and holidays, but what they put in has been way more exclusive and diverse than any sims game at all. Definitely will be interesting to see modders open this up more to make even more specific holidays.

Like I'd like a tradition to appreciate sims that are parents to make like a mothers or father's day a lot better.

In my main household I play there are two gay men, married and they adopted to boys from foster care who were friends but very afraid of being separated. So, when they were both adopted by the same family, they were very happy that now they really would be brothers. One of the dad's parents live with them, so, I will create two anniversaries for the family to celebrate and "Adoption Day" to celebrate when they all became one family. Birthdays (without aging up) for each sim too.