The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Glass roofs not letting light in.

If you totally cover the room with glass roof the light doesn't come in. If you leave the roof justa little bit smaller than the room (ie the room has a hole in the roof) then the light comes in. is this just me?

Comments

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    And the glass roofs automatically remove the ceiling of the room below even if you didn't want them to
    edited June 2018
    The lighting is sorted - I didn't have my graphic options set high enough. I have to say though I'd have expected it to not be actually pitch black in the room below even if I didn't see the outline of the glazing bars. I'd still prefer to be able to choose to have the ceiling removed or not.
  • disneyandcodisneyandco Posts: 1 New Member
    I set my graphic options to the highest they can go, and I still can't get the glass roofs to let any light in :( I'm having the same problem you were. Is there anything else you did that fixed it?
    No there wasn't anything else. When you say you have yours the highest they can go, do you have any graphic options greyed out, which might mean your PC can't go to the highest settings? I don't think everyone's graphics card can do the highest settings.
  • 112061112061 Posts: 273 Member
    i dont get light in either
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I set my graphic options to the highest they can go, and I still can't get the glass roofs to let any light in :( I'm having the same problem you were. Is there anything else you did that fixed it?

Are you using any mods/CC?
    112061 wrote: »
    i dont get light in either

What are your graphics set at?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • slydog857slydog857 Posts: 68 Member
    I think if the majority of people are getting this issue it's simply a bug, however, in case you haven't tried, although it seems you have, you'd probably need to have the setting on 'High' or 'Medium' to actually see the light. I don't believe that light refracts on the lowest graphic option for lighting. Although it can tank the FPS, maybe put it on 'Medium'?
    Specs:
    i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition: GTX 1080 8GB
    16GB RAM
    2 x 1TB HDD - Toshiba @ 7200 Rpm

maxresdefault.jpg
  • PBSimmerPBSimmer Posts: 6 New Member
    Same problem here.
    The roof has to be smaller than the room to allow light inside.
    The shadows from the glass roof show on the room's floor when the roof is smaller than the room, no problem.
    It's when the roof is the same size as the room that the shadows & light disappear from the room.
  • TeaSpellsTeaSpells Posts: 1 New Member
    I have the same issue too, and setting my Graphics to Ultra only half fixes the problem, it allows light and shadows to be cast through roofs but only onto objects (e.g. garden planters) and not the entire room.

With my Graphics on Ultra I have this when rooms are closed:
    i.gyazo.com/03ce24e24c12c633e2fef9a6ffdb446c
    (copy and paste with ".jpg" added to the end. I'm not allowed to post links because "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.")

Versus this when they aren't:
    i.gyazo.com/5908f75fd539fd916041a1af6d0b0742
  • 112061112061 Posts: 273 Member
    in my case, i forgot to remove the ceiling, once removed the light shines in
    Well that's weird, because in my game, placing a glass roof automatically removes the ceiling below and won't let me rebuild the ceiling even if I try!
    When I put my roof on, and change it to glass, it LOOKS like the ceiling is gone... but when I move my roof one square back, the ceiling is there. I smash it with the hammer & light comes in. Great! There's light, there's shadows, it's wonderful!
    Then I move my roof back to the size of the room, the light goes back to as if there was a ceiling again. Uugh!
  • MetalFetishMetalFetish Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm having the same issue. I had to remove a section of wall on my greenhouse to get the light to come through the roof. I have this issue on both installs of the game, one pc has cc the other doesn't have any so cc doesn't seem to be the problem.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    From what I'm reading, it looks like its related to ceilings. Has anyone tried to select the room below the glass roof and selected the yellow part at the top? That's how you normally add or remove ceilings. Maybe it looks like the ceiling is gone but somehow it isn't? It's only a theory as I haven't had this issue in my game.
    The only time I didn't have light coming through the grass roof was when I removed the floor in the lowest room (it was a two storey build), granted, it had a half wall somewhere (indoor wall) and I know the game dislikes those very much when it comes to rooms and roofs.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
    > @MDianaSanders said:
    > From what I'm reading, it looks like its related to ceilings. Has anyone tried to select the room below the glass roof and selected the yellow part at the top? That's how you normally add or remove ceilings. Maybe it looks like the ceiling is gone but somehow it isn't? It's only a theory as I haven't had this issue in my game.
    > The only time I didn't have light coming through the grass roof was when I removed the floor in the lowest room (it was a two storey build), granted, it had a half wall somewhere (indoor wall) and I know the game dislikes those very much when it comes to rooms and roofs.

I tried it. Once you move the roof to cover the entire room it goes dark in the room like there is a regular roof on it. You can see the room through the glass roof but no light actually comes through it. If I sledgehammer a section of wall or make part of the wall a half wall, the light comes through fine but if it's a completely enclosed room the light doesn't come through the roof.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    The lighting is sorted - I didn't have my graphic options set high enough. I have to say though I'd have expected it to not be actually pitch black in the room below even if I didn't see the outline of the glazing bars. I'd still prefer to be able to choose to have the ceiling removed or not.

If you want to keep the ceiling, use the smallest (shortest) fence on the roof before placing the roof piece. That will keep the ceiling but you will see the ceiling through the glass roof when looking down on it.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've just experimented with one of my houses with two roofs intersecting one another, removing the opaque ones and putting the highly patterned glass on instead. The pattern is clearly shown on the top floors all over under both, so it must be related to video settings. I have Sims and Lighting very high and the rest High. Nvidia card GTX1060.
    Logged in today and the lighting is working fine now. idek. Glad it's working though.
    Good idea, DragonAge, thanks :)
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    You're welcome. :)
    Success!
    I changed the lighting setting from "High" to "Very High". *facepalm*