Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some of my ideas for a farming pack

I was going through some old posts of mine on another thread. I thought since it seems like we might be getting a farming pack of some sort I'd throw the ideas I had a year ago back out there.

Running a farm: I'd like to be able to run a farm like a business lot whilst still living on it. The farm lot will have to be a larger lot to fit everything but it would be good to be able to set aside fenced areas for different purposes. Like you can have different pens for the larger livestock and have fenced areas for crops which you can tend to and harvest all at once.

and you can choose to either run it off the grid (have wind turbines and water silos for power and water) or on the grid. Running costs for an on the grid farm would naturally be higher.

New Items: this is just gonna be a list.
-chicken coops of different sizes
-A small herb planter for your kitchen
-More plant varieties
-more rustic decor
-Wind turbines
-Solar panels for your house for either the roof or just to be placed in the yard
-Water Silos (they fill when it rains)
-tin/corrugated iron roofs (with different sound effects when it rains on them vs normal roof)
-Water troughs and feeding stations
-shearing station for sheep

Moodlets: not going to make this one very long but I can think of quite a few moodlets which would be based on where a sim was born and raised.

Missing the Stars: sims who were born and raised in the country or have lived in the country for at least one life stage get this sad moodlet if they visit the city.

Too much smog: sims who were born and raised in the country or have lived in the country for at least one life stage get this stressed moodlet if they visit the city.

Fresh Air: sims who were born and raised in san myshuno get this dazed moodlet if they visit the country, if you were born and raised in the country you get this moodlet from coming home after visiting san myshuno.

Also if you were born and raised in the country and go to live in the city the missing the stars moodlet should pop up maybe once or twice every calendar year. All of the other ones should eventually stop popping up or change once your sim has adjusted to life in a different area.
A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png

Comments

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2018
    I wonder if the farm would be an Entire world tho?
    if I designed it... for My Sims, they are Irish-Scottish immigrants whoPlayed their cards right and became one of the worlds biggest wine and beer sellers and Now run a whole Farm.

It would have to be a full world, possibly all in one neighborhood, because I would want my house to be in the midst of the farm. and have a view of all my land.
    and each lot would over see different crops.

I'd have a Vineyard (with Winery), Orchard (with Brewery) and then Vegetables & Herbs.
    and my Cow and Pig stables would be the central area of the farm.

We're getting Honey with Seasons.

I would love Sarsaparilla, Peanuts, Wheat, Corn (To build a corn/wheat maze is one of my goals), Pumpkins. eventually I want to have a harvest festival on the Farm.

Other objects, Hay Stacks, Hay Bales, wooden Wine and Beer Kegs to store your crafts.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like the idea of "Missing the Stars". I do think "Fresh Air" would probably be a happy moodlet, but there could also be an uncomfortable one for sims with the city native trait. I'm thinking of something about stepping in cow plum sort of like what came with pets. There could also be one about, "Flies! Flies! Flies!" Too many insects or that the country is too dirty. Some people should get uncomfortable and stressed in the country. Then, there could be something like, "Home Sweet Country Home" for those who love the countryside.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    What makes you think a new Farming Pack is on the way?
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think the farming pack should come with a new world as well. I was looking through the worlds I have now to see it it would be possible to set up a farming community in case they never release a farming pack (I will cry if they don't) and I don't really like what I'm seeing.

I think they should make the new world "open world" like San Myshuno. It's not exactly open world, but I can step out of the apartment and go buy food from a vendor or start street sales. That space right there, should be added into the new world, and that space can be used to host farmers markets, and for kids to play HOPSCOTCH and other farm life activities.

The world doesn't even have to be that big. It can just be atleast five lots in a circle with that middle area being the place to hold the activities. Five big lots of course. Plants take up a lot of space.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    What makes you think a new Farming Pack is on the way?

Because one of the guru's did a poll on the subject of a farming pack recently. I mean sure it's not confirmed but there's a huge demand for a farming pack and they've clearly noticed this if they're doing a poll.

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I was going through some old posts of mine on another thread. I thought since it seems like we might be getting a farming pack of some sort I'd throw the ideas I had a year ago back out there.

Running a farm: I'd like to be able to run a farm like a business lot whilst still living on it. The farm lot will have to be a larger lot to fit everything but it would be good to be able to set aside fenced areas for different purposes. Like you can have different pens for the larger livestock and have fenced areas for crops which you can tend to and harvest all at once.
    I'd like to see a variation of this.
    A 64x64 lot as the 'homestead' lot, and then additional medium sized lots that you can buy as you would buy business lots.
    Neighbourhoods could have 6 lots, two being the larger size, and four being medium sized. That way there could be two farms per neighbourhood, or a wealthy farmer could buy all the lots, and have one huge farm.
    and you can choose to either run it off the grid (have wind turbines and water silos for power and water) or on the grid. Running costs for an on the grid farm would naturally be higher.
    Personally, I'd rather the off the grid stuff be in a separate off the grid themed stuff pack.

Trivia: 'water silos' are called water tanks in Australia. They're made from corrugated metal, concrete or fibreglass. By law, all new homes must have one (in my state at least). In Australia, we also have dams, hollows designed to catch rainwater.
    Dam1.jpg

Some are pretty big, and get used as a swimming hole.
    farm%20dam.jpg

Some are used for growing yabbies.
    P1040569.jpg

Missing the Stars: sims who were born and raised in the country or have lived in the country for at least one life stage get this sad moodlet if they visit the city.

Too much smog: sims who were born and raised in the country or have lived in the country for at least one life stage get this stressed moodlet if they visit the city.

Fresh Air: sims who were born and raised in san myshuno get this dazed moodlet if they visit the country, if you were born and raised in the country you get this moodlet from coming home after visiting san myshuno.
    I like these!

Farms should mean your sims can grow various grains, and from the grains not only make bread, or porridge, but also yeasty brew by fermenting the grain.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    @Movotti I'm from the west side. The tanks are the smaller to medium (about as tall as your house) sized ones at least over here. I meant really BIG ones intended to water whole crops. Also I think the new homes requiring water tanks might be a state specific law because there's tonnes of new development here in perth and sadly the water tanks don't seem to be included :(

I do like the dams idea though!

• 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    New radio station, the other version of Backyard from Perfect Patio Stuff
    I meant really BIG ones intended to water whole crops.
    Never seen them here in SA.
    Not much crop watering goes on here either, other than of market gardens and fruit crops in the riverland.

Also I think the new homes requiring water tanks might be a state specific law because there's tonnes of new development here in perth and sadly the water tanks don't seem to be included :(
    Quite probably, with SA being the driest state an' all.

This wide brown land is a little too wide at times, WA is like a whole other country :p

Movotti wrote: »
    Never seen them here in SA.
    Not much crop watering goes on here either, other than of market gardens and fruit crops in the riverland.

I know I have definitely seen a few big water silos before, probably because I grew up in WAs farming area, although they wouldn't be nearly as big as the wheat ones, just think of them as like water tanks that are far too large to be considered tanks anymore.

Although now that you mentioned it the large tanks were probably for watering the livestock, I just remembered the weather was relied upon to water the crops throughout the year, not the water reserves.

That said I am half right but I'm thinking of the wrong kind of produce. Things like vineyards are set up with a reticulation system over here to keep the grapes hydrated.

• 2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    Llamas and Alpacas would be adorable in a farming pack. I mean, milking cows and harvesting eggs from a chicken house would be ideal for a farming pack, but animals that aren't as obvious would make great additions. And just to add for child sims to interact with- an Ant Farm.
  • Sally1502Sally1502 Posts: 258 Member
    Llamas and Alpacas would be adorable in a farming pack.
    I agree! It would be awesome to finally have real llamas introduced in a Sims game. Providing wool, they could tie in well with a knitting skill.
    Cows, pigs, goats and chicken would be lovely too. And I'd really like bunnies.
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I didn't know about the poll. Such a shame! I'd love a farming pack!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    You know how we can have a maid NPC and a Butler NPC and other NPC's to do stuff? How about a farm hand NPC. You give them a room in the barn or shed or somewhere in your house and they help take care of the crops or animals.

In S3, the farm stuff was fun but, like with a lot of stuff, it takes so long to do and time would just slip by and my sims would go to bed tired and wake up tired. With a farm hand, we might get everything done on time.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Love your ideas. I'd also love to have a world come with it, with a huge area for horse training/jumping, and trails to ride on. Many people board horses in real life since they don't live on a farm.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    Love your ideas. I'd also love to have a world come with it, with a huge area for horse training/jumping, and trails to ride on. Many people board horses in real life since they don't live on a farm.

I want horses too, but in a pack of their own. And tbh, horses won't really contribute to a farm pack. The can't do chores like pulling a plow. They are more for pleasure. I think they would work well in a Equestrian pack or Dude Ranch Vacation pack.

So, assuming that they will give us animals like the ones in S3, the cows and chickens attached to a shed and a coop, let's make a list of other animals we want.

List an animal(s), what it could be attached to and what byproduct you could collect from it.

Pigs/hogs
    Muddy pigsty
    Truffles, meat, lard

Goats
    A set of rocks they can climb on and jump from
    Milk, meat, cashmere wool

Sheep
    Shed
    Wool, meat

Rabbits/bunnies
    Hutch
    Angora fur, meat, lucky rabbits foot

Ducks/geese
    Pond
    Eggs, feathers, meat
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    ashcrash19 wrote: »

I want horses too, but in a pack of their own. And tbh, horses won't really contribute to a farm pack. The can't do chores like pulling a plow. They are more for pleasure. I think they would work well in a Equestrian pack or Dude Ranch Vacation pack.
    Isn't a 'dude ranch' just a fancy name for a big cow farm?

Horses have plenty of use on a sim farm.
    They could be used to pull a plough, or an old style harvester.
    Horse-drawn%20Sunshine%20Harvester.jpg

They could be used to run a thresher
    0209016-040D%20Horse%20treadmill-L.jpg

They can be used to power a mill (flour, sugar, cotton, wool, whatever)
    cottongin.jpg

They can be used to round up stock, and take it to market.
    They could be used to pull a hay cart (which could double as picnic or wedding transport)

I think a lot of people would like to have horses for both work and pleasure.

Pigs/hogs
    Muddy pigsty
    Truffles, meat, lard
    As much as I love pork snags, I don't think they'd include a slaughterhouse :/
    The same goes for all forms of farmyard meat. We can want it, but the likelihood of it being included is very slim.
    Goats
    A set of rocks they can climb on and jump from
    Milk, meat, cashmere wool
    I love goats. They're such bonkers critters
    d07b56322357bddb50862099b8929da1.gif
    Buttermilk-the-Goat-knocks-down-other-goat.gif?ssl=1
    e078abe8bb2532c51c8a54681ff874ef.gif

They barely need rocks to climb on and jump from ;)

Horses will be no different in S4 than they were in S3. They will not be used to pull wagons or plows or any of those contraptions in those pictures. We'll have a tractor just like before.

A DUDE RANCH is a vacation spot based on horseback riding and equestrian events like we had in S3, jumping, racing and pleasure riding. In my idea, it would be located in a place like Death Valley with all the red rock formations and butte's. There would be a ranch where your sim could rent a horse and ride, jump or race other sims. It would have an Old West theme like the movie City Slickers.

There could also be a deserted ghost town with ghosts of a sheriff and bank robbers having the same shoot out that got them killed. There could be an abandoned gold mine to explore and, for entertainment, there could be a barn for dancing and the return of the electronic bull riding machine. Your sim could eat from the chuck wagon and sleep in a bunkhouse or out in the open under the moonlight while the coyotes howl in the background.
    @Dannydanbo I like the idea of keeping horses in their own pack. I feel if they were in a farming pack or a pack with other things they probably would be just as bad as TS3 horses.

Plus there's plenty of horse things to go around so they could really flesh it out and make it a standalone equestrian themed GP.

Also to whoever suggested it, I agree we cannot have a farming pack without llamas! It'd be a shame if they have all these llama references in the game without adding an actual llama into the mix!

@Dannydanbo I like the idea of keeping horses in their own pack. I feel if they were in a farming pack or a pack with other things they probably would be just as bad as TS3 horses.

Plus there's plenty of horse things to go around so they could really flesh it out and make it a standalone equestrian themed GP.

Also to whoever suggested it, I agree we cannot have a farming pack without llamas! It'd be a shame if they have all these llama references in the game without adding an actual llama into the mix!

If horses were in a separate pack, you could still add them to your farm. They don't need to be played separately, just released separately.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

If horses were in a separate pack, you could still add them to your farm. They don't need to be played separately, just released separately.

of course, I just feel they need a separate release to make sure they work and also look good.

• HopeCrashHopeCrash Posts: 119 Member
    Love the ideas above!
    I think about farming pack as a game pack, with one world with 1-2 neighborhoods.I think to edd horses will be great choice to this theme
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    I love your ideas so much.

The fresh air mood should be happy in my opinion ♡ I would love another happy moodlet from stargazing since the countryside's sky looks really clear and stars are more beautiful.

edited May 2020
    Elisdream wrote: »
    I love your ideas so much.

The fresh air mood should be happy in my opinion ♡ I would love another happy moodlet from stargazing since the countryside's sky looks really clear and stars are more beautiful.

I think at the time I meant that it'd be dazed if you lived in the city for a long period of time and visited or moved to the country, I think if they're from the country they should definitely be happy for the fresh air.

I really hope they do eventually release a farming pack, it's nice to see some of the wind turbines/solar panel stuff I mentioned here pop up in the new EP but personally I'm not too fond of the new EP as a concept.

• catcatcatcat Posts: 2 New Member
    Reading through this, I'm really disappointed they didn't add more animals to the eco pack. Even a small holding would have added more depth to the game! Getting kind of tired of the same stuff in the packs.... holding out hope if there is a sims 5