Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FreePlay will be shutting down in some regions

WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims FreePlay
Just like that...In a matter of seconds, FreePlay will no longer be available in the Middle East & Egypt. While some of you players won't be affected, it goes to show how easy it is for you to lose all your investments in the game. DON'T SPEND YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY ON A GAME THAT CAN VANISH AT ANY MOMENT!
Screenshot_20180619_044834_Free_Play.jpg
Screenshot_20180619_044828_Free_Play.jpg

{EA_Lanna: Renamed thread title to remove ALL CAPS and be more informative}
Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Source?
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    That's true for any game no matter what you play on: console, phone, PC/Mac.

Be it Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, the MMO's you play, any phone games you play, whatever Call of Duty is your favorite, etc.

One day the app will no longer be supported and not kept up to date with new phone OS's and you'll eventually lose your ability to play those games.

Or the game will no longer work on any computer you own.

Or the game will not be made playable on the next generation console.

Only spend money on a game (be it initial purchase or in game purchase or DLC) if you think you can your money's worth out of the purchase before you lose access to it due to technology becoming obsolete or countries changing laws (which is probably what happened with regards to the Middle East and Egypt) or whatever.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Source?

Sure! Let me post screenshots. Give me 3 minutes

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Does it effect you?
  • Meenoette1701Meenoette1701 Posts: 1 New Member
    This sucks... i paid alot and waisted alot of time and effort and sleep in this game... and now that's it??? I demand a reason
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Does it effect you?

Yes, it unfortunately does. At least I have all the previous updates :#

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Be it Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, the MMO's you play, any phone games you play, whatever Call of Duty is your favorite, etc.

One day the app will no longer be supported and not kept up to date with new phone OS's and you'll eventually lose your ability to play those games.

Only spend money on a game (be it initial purchase or in game purchase or DLC) if you think you can your money's worth out of the purchase before you lose access to it due to technology becoming obsolete or countries changing laws (which is probably what happened with regards to the Middle East and Egypt) or whatever.

Single-player, offline games will more than likely be playable forever, or at least a life-time. These are games better worth spending into, IMHO. Of course, when they add online elements, such as the Gallery from TS4, one should expect that to be a temporary feature that will disappear in years time.

Any game that requires a server to function will not last. And, again IMHO, they are not worth spending a dime on.

You can expect The Sims Mobile to follow suit in ~5-10 years.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Single-player, offline games will more than likely be playable forever, or at least a life-time. These are games better worth spending into, IMHO. Of course, when they add online elements, such as the Gallery from TS4, one should expect that to be a temporary feature that will disappear in years time.

Any game that requires a server to function will not last. And, again IMHO, they are not worth spending a dime on.

You can expect The Sims Mobile to follow suit in ~5-10 years.

Single player games have a longer lifespan that online multiplayer games. They are limited by the advance of computer/console technology. People currently have to jump through hoops to get even Sims 2 to work properly on Windows 7, much less Windows 8 or Windows 10. One day, the technology will advance so far that the game is unplayable on those newer OS's. And as the older technology fails, it will get harder to get replacements for it as fewer and fewer manufacturers exist and fewer working used models will be out there. And the same will happen with Sims 4 one day. And even Microsoft limited which games from the original Xbox that they made the Xbox 360 able to play.

So all games that require technology to play have a finite period of time before you will be unable to play them, even though you spent money on them.

To me a game, or any form of entertainment, is only worth buying if you can get your money's worth out of it before one of the following happens:
    • You get bored of the game. Because let's face it, sometimes the hype lies and we buy a game we end up not liking that much.
    • It becomes impossible to play the game. Be it server taken down or you can't get it to install or work properly on a new computer and you don't have access to an older computer.

For me, I'll gamble with computer games as it's usually pretty easy to read if a game is about to be dropped (once a company moves onto the next big thing is when newer technology starts to threaten the ability to play a game and when it starts to beg the question of will the company pull the server down). Because 99% of the time with me, I get bored before I lose the ability to play a game. I can only think of two games where I lost the ability to play the game before I got bored playing it (and that's despite me never having beaten that game due to end game being horribly tuned difficulty wise) - Operation Weather Disaster and Math Blaster - The Search for Spot.

Mobile games have to have a free to play version and I have to get my money's worth out of it and still be enjoying it before I spend a penny on it. Too many stop getting updates or push way too heavily on players spending money to progress at a reasonable rate.
    This is exactly why I won't be spending a dime on Anthem. Shame it is online-only.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2018
    well it is a mobile game. getting pretty old to :/

sorry to anybody effected.

there still making stuff for it though :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I don’t believe that EA really is the cause for the Sims Freeplay stopping in those countries. Much more likely the reason is that the pregnancy update has caused those Muslim countries to ban the game or at least to make it into an adult-only game. But I am only guessing here though because although those countries sometimes ban games because of sexual content I don’t know for sure how they usually handle games which show pregnant women maybe a little too explicitly?

My point just is that we shouldn’t fear that the game will end very soon in other countries too just because of this and the big pregnancy update makes it much more likely that the Sims Freeplay still will be supported by EA for several years. (EA isn’t likely to stop TSF before the game isn’t played by many (paying) simmers anymore!) :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @Wulfsimmer I agree with @Erpe religion may possibly play a part in the banning or getting rid of this game in some countries with the new pregnancy update. I'm in the USA. I have the new sims mobile on my phone and was getting freeplay video advertisements about the new pregnancy update last night so I don't think EA is getting rid of freeplay soon
    Have to agree with everyone else. Especially now that single sims can become pregnant. Prior to the update you had to be married to have children.
  • Ona_SimmerOna_Simmer Posts: 60 Member
    I forgot all about that game.
    Origin Name : Ona_Simmer

HC9IknO.png

I beg to differ. People can play the PC games just fine, which are way more explicit. Plus I doubt Egypt & UAE cares much about pregnancy. Nah.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    If it's not the pregnancy it could be something political between countries , tax tariffs etc. All know is EA is not getting rid of freeplay here in the USA. If it's EA getting rid of it in your country or your country decided not to sell it anymore, I suggest contacting EA directly to discuss it with them
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    well it is a mobile game. getting pretty old to :/

sorry to anybody effected.

there still making stuff for it though :#

Being it's only in Egypt and the Middle East, I wonder if it's some sort of law that passed there that's responsible.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    This is the reason why I refuse to play mobile or online-only games. As a child, I've played these types of games, gotten attached to them, and then all of a sudden they pull the rug from underneath you.

Considering this is only certain regions, there probably is some law that is responsible for this.
  • ParkPark Posts: 625 Member
    A cautionary tale on these sorts of things: I have a coworker who still occasionally bemoans the demise of City of Heroes/City of Villians produced by NCSoft. They fired all their developers out of the blue in August 2012 and the servers went dark midnight November 30 of that year. As an MMORPG it was not as popular as, say, W.O.W, but it held its own, was profitable, required substantial investment of one's time and cost a few greenbacks as well-- but it ended up as another "Here Today/Gone Tomorrow" deal.

Invest wisely and enjoy a game while you can I guess.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think I saw the sims community post that the sims was banned in some countries because of the lgbt content or something like that
    Check out my twitter and tumblr

COMMUNITY MANAGER
    EA_Mai

Simmers,

We’ve always been proud that our in-game experiences embrace values as broad and diverse as our incredible Sims community. This has been important to us, as we know it is to you.

In light of regional standards, starting 5th July, 2018, The Sims FreePlay will no longer be made available in the following storefronts:

China
    Saudi Arabia
    UAE
    Oman
    Kuwait
    Qatar
    Egypt

You can keep playing after this date if you already have The Sims FreePlay installed on your mobile device, but further updates or purchases will not be available. Since we won’t be updating, the game could stop working at a later date. If you delete the game or switch to a new device, the game won’t be available to download.

We appreciate your support. Please be sure to download the latest update today to keep creating your story.

Thanks for playing!

The Sims FreePlay Team

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-FreePlay/The-Sims-FreePlay-No-longer-available-in-certain-storefronts/td-p/6872227
    I think it is the same as the in-game message, but thank you anyways for the link :)

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Deedee_DaydreamDeedee_Daydream Posts: 10 New Member
    Well there's always immigrating? It's for simming afterall, LOL! But seroiusly, it's always shocking and sad to have a big part of your life/day whatever yanked out from under you without warning and I'm very sad for all those impacted by this turn of events.
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    im affected by this too! i live in dubai but actually in a couple of months ill be living in maimi Florida :)