Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Maxis can't build decent-looking bathrooms. As nice as some of the prebuilt houses are, their bathrooms are always oddly shaped, oversized, have more than one door, or... all of these.

Speaking of bathrooms (and that is also mostly a problem with Maxis builds), I hate it when you have a club or a restaurant with the bathrooms on the upper floor, especially in buildings with very high walls - just to make sure it takes as long as possible to get to the bathroom and back. Ugh! In general I'm not fond of buildings where sims have to walk forever to get from A to B, so the first thing I did when I started playing active careers was to renovate the hospital and the science lab because everything was too far apart for my sims to fulfil their tasks in time.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    - Doors that swing the wrong way.

- Kitchen islands turned the wrong way around.

- Coffee tables that are too close to the couch.
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I really appreciate builders as my skills are only rudimentary and I only build when I have to (when a new gen needs a place to live.) Stuff that annoys me and I have been bitten far too many times by is overuse of MOO and I ended up getting LE's in a house that was really bad. Overuse of furniture and clutter because if I download a starter home I want it to be starter prices. Plus I don't like having a ton of stuff in my house for my computer to render as I use my laptop to play.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    I was guilty of overusing MOO and not playtesting. Now I have learned from my mistakes and only use MOO for gardens and houseplants, and I always make sure to state if I use it and whether or not it has been playtested.

Definitely still guilty of clutter. But I design huge Victorian mansions and clutter just seems to work in there xd
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I don’t know if this is done by other people but I’ve seen one building had something done with windows that isn’t possible, like stacking them to make unique ones, and it makes the windows clip. The idea sounds cool on paper but it doesn’t work. And this was done all over the place so I had to fix it.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I only download lots occasionally but I avoid lots that have garages. For me, they are just wasted space including the driveway. I don't have any in the game right now.

I also agree about too much clutter. I mean, I count on spending some time customizing a lot if I download it but excess clutter is just something that I end up having to change. I'm very picky about the lots that I place in the game though. I don't mind adapting a lot somewhat if it generally suits my game.

I do pay a lot of attention to the layout and flow of a lot if I download it. I definitely appreciate architectural details that I might not think of myself. I would say that many lots are overly personalized or kind of specific in terms of how they are designed to be used.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    They pay too much attention to the outside, and the inside is a disaster, full of tiny rooms and stuffed to the gills. Less is more. I don't know how many I just deleted because it was too much trouble to fix. It made me wonder sometimes, how are the sims even able to walk in there. One I remember had a bathroom on each side of the entry. Really? I make my own now, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, much happier with my own creations.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Using moo for everything.

I get that TS4 doesn't have a lot of stuff and people have to get creative but most of the time people make objects unplayable with this.

Sorry but what is 'Moo'? Miscellaneous objects?

Move Objects On, I believe. Personally, I don't use it. Mostly, because I haven't a clue how to use it. I think it allows you to put stuff on an angle or exactly where you wish to put it that the grid won't allow. Someone with experience with it can probably better explain it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Repo wrote: »
    @Cupid , I do know, but I prefer to download items marked as empty, unfurnished or shell challenges for several reasons. I like to start from almost scratch with a blank house with no other influence from the creator. The other issue is with creators who do not want their creations re-uploaded. I do not want to be attacked because I stripped and redecorated a lot then shared it on the gallery (although we are allowed to do that). The lot would still have the original creators name on it, but for some creators that is not enough. I do not want to forget and upload one of these lots and be attacked for it.

That's weird. I don't get that. I've seen my builds used in that way before and for me it's flattering! The house is mine and as long as I'm given credit for the build, use it however you want.

I so agree with both of you. I don't care if someone wanted my builds but I use a lot of CC. They can do anything they want with it as far as I'm concerned. I built it for me so I don't use much base game stuff.
    Here is another one, the overuse of columns. When you pull the wall down, all you see is columns sticking up, awful.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Something I've noticed recently is bowls of food and drinks left everywhere (floor, tables, etc). I don't know if it's from builders using their sims to test the house or whatever, and it's not so bothersome that I will delete the lot, but it annoys me a little.
    Also: overuse of that one lattice rug in like every dining room ever. Here's a pic if you don't know which one I mean:
    03-29-16_1-11-06nbspPM.png
    I don't know why, but I hate that rug with every fiber of my being. I always have to go through and replace them all because it's so overused.
    And this last one is just my preference, but some builders' tendency to only use white or very light colored paint and wallpaper. I've always loved darker rooms, and white walls drive me crazy. Not sure why, but that's another one of the first things I do when I download a lot: change the wall colors to something darker.

In RL white walls make me nervous in my own home. They do look nice it other peoples' homes, but I need COLOR. I was annoyed that the Realtors suggested we repaint our livingroom walls white (they were blue and a lighter blue that took EIGHT days to paint). They STILL failed to sell our house … for a little while we were land barons, owning two houses. :open_mouth:

Back to the game, I don't often take lots from the gallery. When I do, it's because I'm impressed with the 'curb appeal' and then I download to see what the inside is like. Found something that looked stunning on the outside, the landscaping as well. When I got into 'build' mode to check it out, it was unfinished. (I'm told many are that way, but this was a first for me.) There was no staircase to the upper floor and a room off of what could be considered the living room that didn't have a wall to section it off properly. And in some cases no floor or wall coverings. I actually had fun doing the 'finish' work. Then I added on a room to both floors and a patio out back. I'd love to share what I did, but I certainly CAN'T and WON'T take credit for what the original builder did. I asked permission to share my version, but never received word back. Ho-hum. I would have given Kudos to her up front. So, it sits in my library. And I've enjoyed playing in the lot, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I too just don't care for a lot of clutter and too many decorations. I am one of those "less is more" types. LOL I like to see space for the sim to walk.
    I don’t know if this is done by other people but I’ve seen one building had something done with windows that isn’t possible, like stacking them to make unique ones, and it makes the windows clip. The idea sounds cool on paper but it doesn’t work. And this was done all over the place so I had to fix it.

YES! I hate that. Then you have to spend time undoing it. grrrrrr

BTW, I love your avatar! She reminds me of Aaliyah

catitude5 wrote: »
    Here is another one, the overuse of columns. When you pull the wall down, all you see is columns sticking up, awful.

I always end up removing the columns. They just bug me
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    @Scorpina2009

Aww thank you! That’s just my simself, if only I looked like Aaliyah irl :'(
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Oh goodie. Here are all my pet peeves in order:

1. Using mods when claiming they don't. Goes for Sims too, of course.
    2. Clutter Clutter EVERYWHERE. Sometimes to the point as your Sims can't navigate properly.
    3. MOO MOO Everywhere. You can't move any mobjects, because not only are they over-cluttered, but they're placed there with MOO and the whole puzzle kind of falls appart if you touch it...
    4. Rezising of everything.
    5. CARS! Driveways! They look fake, and take up SO much space. Begone!!!
    6. Forgetting fundamentals. I can deal with "no toilet paper". But when there is not a single computer desk in the whole house? What?
    7. Layouts. Too big or too small. A super-cramped kitchen? With clutter everywhere placed with MOO? Where the Sims clip into all decorations when cooking? OF course. A five square miles large bathroom with one thing in it? In the same house? Most likely...

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't like builds with too many bedrooms and not enough bathrooms. I would never download 4 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms. It's impossible for 8 sims to live in the house with 2 bathrooms. They keep invading each others privacy.
    That's why I like to build my own with carefully planed layout to shorten the walks from A to B and less privacy invasion.

Another thing I really don't like and never use houses like that in my game, when building is set far back in the lot. Builder leaves huge front yard, but 0 backyard. I need backyard for my sims to hang out. In real live many people like to have good sized backyard, including me. This is another reason I build my own. Homes I build are usually as close to the front curb as possible to make sure my sims are going to enjoy nice backyard.

The most annoying thing for me when choosing home to download, I see many builders forget to add description how many bedrooms and bathrooms in the house.

I like a good size yard if my sims have kids and pets.
    edited June 2018
    Something I've noticed recently is bowls of food and drinks left everywhere (floor, tables, etc). I don't know if it's from builders using their sims to test the house or whatever, and it's not so bothersome that I will delete the lot, but it annoys me a little.
    Also: overuse of that one lattice rug in like every dining room ever. Here's a pic if you don't know which one I mean:
    03-29-16_1-11-06nbspPM.png
    I don't know why, but I hate that rug with every fiber of my being. I always have to go through and replace them all because it's so overused.
    And this last one is just my preference, but some builders' tendency to only use white or very light colored paint and wallpaper. I've always loved darker rooms, and white walls drive me crazy. Not sure why, but that's another one of the first things I do when I download a lot: change the wall colors to something darker.

In RL white walls make me nervous in my own home. They do look nice it other peoples' homes, but I need COLOR. I was annoyed that the Realtors suggested we repaint our livingroom walls white (they were blue and a lighter blue that took EIGHT days to paint). They STILL failed to sell our house … for a little while we were land barons, owning two houses. :open_mouth:

Back to the game, I don't often take lots from the gallery. When I do, it's because I'm impressed with the 'curb appeal' and then I download to see what the inside is like. Found something that looked stunning on the outside, the landscaping as well. When I got into 'build' mode to check it out, it was unfinished. (I'm told many are that way, but this was a first for me.) There was no staircase to the upper floor and a room off of what could be considered the living room that didn't have a wall to section it off properly. And in some cases no floor or wall coverings. I actually had fun doing the 'finish' work. Then I added on a room to both floors and a patio out back. I'd love to share what I did, but I certainly CAN'T and WON'T take credit for what the original builder did. I asked permission to share my version, but never received word back. Ho-hum. I would have given Kudos to her up front. So, it sits in my library. And I've enjoyed playing in the lot, too.

I know what you mean, I'm a color person too. I don't get the love of white walls everywhere. Looks like a big white snow storm hit the house. The inside is just as important as the outside. Many people would like to show the hard work they put into fixing things but they don't for fear of being called names.
  • CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    Dang, I didn't realize there was an Anti Builders Meeting lol, Mines aren't THAT perfect, but they are authentic! Origin: Simday1
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member

Speaking of bathrooms (and that is also mostly a problem with Maxis builds), I hate it when you have a club or a restaurant with the bathrooms on the upper floor, especially in buildings with very high walls - just to make sure it takes as long as possible to get to the bathroom and back.

Yes! For some reason, every prebuilt building in this game has a large 1st floor, and then they only put the bathrooms on the second floor. It is a pain in the butt waiting for my sims to go upstairs just to go to the bathroom.

The gym that comes with Windenburg forces sims to enter on one side of the building, go downstairs, go upstairs, and you will find yourself on the other side of a wall. I put a door in there and bypassed all that nonsense.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Generally going to extremes and having to use every pack ever just for the sake of it.

And forgetting to add a door to the toilet!
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    I don't like when people doesn't focus on the "playability" of a lot.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    CreoleSim wrote: »
    Dang, I didn't realize there was an Anti Builders Meeting lol, Mines aren't THAT perfect, but they are authentic! Origin: Simday1
    i didnt intend it as an anti-builders meeting. I hope it didnt come across that way. I thought this could be insightful for builders but also just be interesting to see if other people feel the same way about these things as we do.