Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things builders do that annoys you?

Comments

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:
    2rnzwi8.png

By accident. I swear. :lol:

Lol, i've had that happen where sometimes I just cant get it to go any lower and get frustrated with it, its soo annoying!

Try putting windows up and holding the alt key. Makes dragging more precise?

Or maybe its shift? Its late and I'm tired.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    edited June 2018
    For me, its when the toilets dont have toilet paper next to them. I know the sims dont really use it but I get paranoid about it and must have it on the wall next to every toilet. This is something I fix in every lot i download lol. What about you guys?

You are either gonna be totally okay or hate me for this, but, I did this:

By accident. I swear. :lol:

Lol, i've had that happen where sometimes I just cant get it to go any lower and get frustrated with it, its soo annoying!

I seriously hate that! I've never encountered that in a downloaded lot, but have had it happen to me too many times to count! I have no idea what causes it, but I often have the same problem when I'm trying to build or decorate a lot. However, I've never shared or uploaded any lots where it's happened or may skip adding the toilet paper thing altogether as I don't know how the heck to get it lower on the wall anytime it's happened. :/

As to moo, I admittedly very rarely use it as there are so many steps involved to get it working along with just forgetting the actual command (given that it differs from past Sims games) or how to get it working, I often just skip it altogether. :/

• Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I like to build, but I go to the gallery for empty homes and public lots know I don't have the ability or patience to build. There are a lot of talented builders there, however three things drive me nuts. First, use of MOO, both not stating MOO was used, or not play testing a lot where MOO was used. I am more likely to download a lot using MOO if it was play tested, or at least the creator states where MOO was used. Second are lots with low visibility. I like to be able to see what my sims are doing without having too much furniture, decor, trees and walls in the way. Endlessly having to fidget with the camera to see into the lot is reallly annoying. (walls and trees are the most annoying). Last is people who re-upload things without changing the hashtags. If I'm looking for empty, unfurnished or shell houses, I get a lot of furnished homes that have re-uploaded with unchanged hashtags. The re-uploading doesn't bother me, but please change the hashtags.
  • Options
    Something I've noticed recently is bowls of food and drinks left everywhere (floor, tables, etc). I don't know if it's from builders using their sims to test the house or whatever, and it's not so bothersome that I will delete the lot, but it annoys me a little.
    Also: overuse of that one lattice rug in like every dining room ever. Here's a pic if you don't know which one I mean:
    03-29-16_1-11-06nbspPM.png
    I don't know why, but I hate that rug with every fiber of my being. I always have to go through and replace them all because it's so overused.
    And this last one is just my preference, but some builders' tendency to only use white or very light colored paint and wallpaper. I've always loved darker rooms, and white walls drive me crazy. Not sure why, but that's another one of the first things I do when I download a lot: change the wall colors to something darker.

I admittedly very rarely use that rug personally, but my guess as to why it's so often used may be in part because that rug pattern is very "in" right now (for better or worse) and to some, they just might feel it goes with the decor otherwise or because someone may feel there may be a lack of other options, so they might settle for it.

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Repo wrote: »
    If I'm looking for empty, unfurnished or shell houses, I get a lot of furnished homes that have re-uploaded with unchanged hashtags. The re-uploading doesn't bother me, but please change the hashtags.

It sounds like you might not be aware that you can make anything on the gallery into a shell just by placing it unfurnished, perhaps?
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    I like to build, but I go to the gallery for empty homes and public lots know I don't have the ability or patience to build. There are a lot of talented builders there, however three things drive me nuts. First, use of MOO, both not stating MOO was used, or not play testing a lot where MOO was used. I am more likely to download a lot using MOO if it was play tested, or at least the creator states where MOO was used. Second are lots with low visibility. I like to be able to see what my sims are doing without having too much furniture, decor, trees and walls in the way. Endlessly having to fidget with the camera to see into the lot is reallly annoying. (walls and trees are the most annoying). Last is people who re-upload things without changing the hashtags. If I'm looking for empty, unfurnished or shell houses, I get a lot of furnished homes that have re-uploaded with unchanged hashtags. The re-uploading doesn't bother me, but please change the hashtags.

I am a builder and have uploaded some lots in the past, but with respect to hashtags, my lots don't have them as honestly prior to this thread, I had no idea about them or that they could be used (nor even know how to include them should I upload something again in the future). I'm wondering in some cases, if the "missing" hashtags might be a case with builders who are like me and either have/had no clue about them nor know even how to include them versus being a deliberate act?
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2018
    There are certain designs that I can't stand for houses. I despise the gambrel roof (Brindleton Bay architecture is my nightmare). I also don't like rustic design. It also annoys me (although this was more of an issue with sims 3) when people use cheats to manipulate objects or other things in a way in which it was not intended. People have done some really freaky things with this. I remember some people forced a garage connected to a foundation, but it doesn't behave properly.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    For me is the overuse of clutter, windows being placed too low and the faux garage. I think the garage thing is my biggest peeve. Sometimes I'll just fix it and make it into something else but if the outside will be too affected by the design change I won't use the house

The lack of real garages has gotten to me. I build suburban houses, and sometimes in real life the garage is the focal point of the home. I don't even attempt to make a fake garage, so my houses come out real weird without the garage. I've accepted fully functional cars as a lost cause at this point, but I would like to see a real garage (attached to foundation) and have full sized cars that you can put in the garages. Maybe sims can walk to their car, get in, and then you will get the loading screen. There just isn't something right with walking to the edge of the lot and then disappearing.
  • Options
    @Cupid , I do know, but I prefer to download items marked as empty, unfurnished or shell challenges for several reasons. I like to start from almost scratch with a blank house with no other influence from the creator. The other issue is with creators who do not want their creations re-uploaded. I do not want to be attacked because I stripped and redecorated a lot then shared it on the gallery (although we are allowed to do that). The lot would still have the original creators name on it, but for some creators that is not enough. I do not want to forget and upload one of these lots and be attacked for it.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member

Had the problem where the toile tpape r would be too high on the wall. Finaly figure dout i had to move the mcguffin camera lower and I was able to place it properly.

But make sims suffer by reaching for it tho. Mwaha.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Peeve of mine is I'll see this very great build I want to download, but most of the time they never play test it and sometimes my sims can't get to places where they need to, so basically this house is only good for looking at not living in. :(

Or when builders end up forgetting to add a trash bin inside and outside a place.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    My thing with clutter is that I don’t mind it as long as it’s not distracting. Clutter is great in moderation, but too much makes look like a hoarder lives there.

And about MOO, aren’t you supposed to turn that on before you place a lot so things dont get displaced?
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member

And about MOO, aren’t you supposed to turn that on before you place a lot so things dont get displaced?

Yes, but I think the point is that it doesnt matter if your couch placed the way the builder intentioned it, if the couch is blocking a door. Its an issue of some builders not using the cheat wisely.
  • Options
    @nolurk , its actually the opposite. A creator uploads a lot that is empty, unfurnished or a shell and puts a hashtag of empty, unfurnished or shell on it. Another person downloads it, decorates it then re-uploads it without removing the empty, unfurnished or shell hashtag. Then, when searching the gallery using those hashtags up come filled, re-uploaded homes along with the the ones that are empty, unfurnished or shells.The hashtag thing is something I didn't know much about either, but I did a challenge and the hashtag was needed and so I learned. I'm not a fan of excessive hashtags either. Many are pointless (cute and sexy are really subjective), and I've found many good creations by just looking through the gallery with no hashtags, and have downloaded creations with no hash tags or some that are in languages not spoken or read by me. Of course, I have to check them carefully because they may say they use MOO, but I don't speak the language and have no clue.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member

Sometimes the stairs disappear if MOO isn't enabled, so that might be the issue.

Ah, I didn't know that. Their build didn't say anything about having MOO enabled, so maybe that was the case. It is helpful when builders put that in the description because I will generally pass up anything that says it needs to be enabled.

• Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    One of my pet peeves is when parts of the wallpaper is "different," or in other words is drywall when the rest of the wall is overlaid. It's a minor annoyance, but I find myself having to finishing the job more often than I would like. I also don't like it when parts of the wall that aren't exposed use drywall. When though these parts aren't observable from a sim's point of view I dislike seeing drywall because it makes the build feel incomplete to me. It's rather silly. :tongue:
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    @Reksoh oh okay. I’ve seen that problem before. More builders should think about checking to see if there builds are even functional.

• Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    I’m a chronic remodeler for two reasons: I tend not to like maxis builds (sorry guys, just a little too plain for me) and because I encounter so many houses on the gallery and so on that are created to look great, but are a nightmare to play in.

When they cut out a portion of the floor to make a lowered living area or something. It looks great, and it’s super creative. But you can’t wallmount the TV because the game perceives the two levels as separate rooms. And you can never get rid of the seam in the wall, which bugs the plum out of me personally.

I dislike enlarged cars. I would rather use a “driveway” space for a basketball hoop. I build and construct interiors with practicality and function first, and then fill in with clutter and decorations to make the space feel lived in. The enlarged cars just serve no purpose to me.

BATHROOMS WITH MORE THAN ONE DOOR IN OR OUT. I hate dorm style bathrooms with a fiery passion. There are literally two instances that they are acceptable in my game. 1. In an actual dorm, which we don’t currently have because we don’t have a University style EP/GP *yet*. 2. In between two siblings bedrooms. Outside of those two things, I find them to be awful game play wise.

Over cluttering/using the moveobjects cheat to the point where some things are unusable.
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    edited June 2018
    I love the builds people make but..
    -too many outdoor lights.
    I hate it when at night the lot looks like the sun itself. I delete most of the outdoor lights usually.

-not playtesting.
    Had a lot of problems with that with builds from the gallery, now I always playtest myself before I decide to keep the lot or not.
  • Options
    Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2018
    Too many bright Lights, I doesn't like it when my sims looking like white paper specially in bars, nightclubs or karaoke bars. Overuse from MOO, too many clutter, sims cannot reach objects, clipping. Every Time I need delete half of the stuff too getting the lot working as intended. Too many book cases too, how many sims need ? :#
    Post edited by Madachan88 on
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    When the light colours don’t match across the entire build, or at least the entire room, for instance a warm ceiling lamp along with a cool side table lamp, ugh it makes me so uncomfortable. Cool lights in general... *shivers*
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    The biggest thing that annoys me, especially if I download someone's house in the gallery and place it in my world, is the lay out sometimes. I often have to go in add edit things as they might of forgotten to place a door or there are some routing issues that makes it impossible for sims to go to one location to the next as something is blocking their path, etc...

As for the question about what moo means, it means move objects on. It allows to to place objects anywhere when you are normally aren't able to.

You're either using a wrong sized lot or you're putting a house on a lot that's the right sized but oriented differently. And people do make mistakes like forgetting a door, we're human.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    I'm a builder and I use the 3 main cheats in all my builds. I try to keep clutter to a minimum but some builds really require them in my mind. I especially couldn't be half as creative without MOO so I'm always going to use that. Always.
  • Options

I will keep this in mind for all future builds. I won't stop using MOO and I do play test everything but now I'll put on there that it is. Thanks! THIS is how we make this community better.
  • Options
    @Cupid , I do know, but I prefer to download items marked as empty, unfurnished or shell challenges for several reasons. I like to start from almost scratch with a blank house with no other influence from the creator. The other issue is with creators who do not want their creations re-uploaded. I do not want to be attacked because I stripped and redecorated a lot then shared it on the gallery (although we are allowed to do that). The lot would still have the original creators name on it, but for some creators that is not enough. I do not want to forget and upload one of these lots and be attacked for it.

That's weird. I don't get that. I've seen my builds used in that way before and for me it's flattering! The house is mine and as long as I'm given credit for the build, use it however you want.