Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cooking in fireplaces & over campfires + campfires as fireplaces indoors

SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
I admit I haven't played enough to see if anything can be cooked in a fireplace, but I believe at least marshmallows can be roasted over campfires.

I like medieval and older settings as well as some outdoor almost caveman type settings. Peasants and ancient cultures used to have fire pits or essentially campfires in the middle of their huts/homes to keep them warm and to cook over. I'd love for Sims in more rustic or older period settings to be able to cook over their campfires and in their fireplaces.

Anyone remember those cartoons and old movies where the hags or witches or whatever would have a cauldron bubbling over a fireplace? It would be great to have something like that. Sims could cook stews & soups over fires.

Another thing would be to have a sort of grill & or spit for cooking meat & vegetables.

I have some pictures to show some ideas. I apologize in advance for them being varied sizes.

Fireplace Cooking
*Pot hanging from a hook of sorts over a fireplace (I've also seen some where there is a metal bar all the way across the fireplace and the pot handle has a hook on it to hang from but I couldn't find good pictures-- closest I could find was a CC stove/grill made for Sims 2)
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so1_500.jpg
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so6_640.jpg

*Pot with legs that can be placed over a fire (in either a fireplace or campfire)
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so2_640.jpg

*Meat on a rotating spit in fireplace
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so3_640.jpg
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so8_640.jpg

*Multiple pots & a chicken/meat hanging over fire
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so5_640.jpg

*Flat rock/metal griddle (this type could also be used over campfire)
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so1_640.jpg

Campfire Cooking
*Pot hanging from chain suspended by tripod legs
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so7_640.jpg

*Multiple pots/containers hanging from a metal bar with leg supports (this could also be used like the fireplace one to hang meat
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so8_400.jpg

*Pot hanging from a branch/wood (this would be great for camping/survival type things-- but could also be used inside primitive huts)
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so10_640.jpg

*Pots & grill hanging from a metal bar with legs (could also be set up like the wooden one)
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so4_r1_640.jpg

*Grill hanging from chain suspended from tripod legs
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so2_500.jpg

*Pot sitting on rocks piled up as support over fire
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so6_640.jpg

*Pot with legs
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so9_400.jpg

*Metal grill with legs that can hold pots, meat, vegetables, etc
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so9_r1_640.jpg

*Stone griddle/flat stone placed over other stones (this could also be done with a metal griddle)
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so3_640.jpg

*Wooden grill (this would be great for a stranded island/camping / survival situation
tumblr_paarf19B1E1qku51so5_640.jpg

*Meat roasting on bamboo skewer/stick (might also be able to be done for veggies)
tumblr_paarkcN5Hp1qku51so4_640.jpg

*Various stuff cooked while being held in by a stick / skewer the way marshmallows & hot dogs can be cooked (can be a single bamboo/wood stick or a long metal prong/fork)- Apparently even bread can be cooked this way
tumblr_paau18KRHn1qku51so1_540.jpg
tumblr_paau18KRHn1qku51so3_540.jpg

*Meat hanging over a stick/rod extended over the fire- can be done with bacon, steak, & anything that will drape
tumblr_paau18KRHn1qku51so2_540.jpg

Perhaps some of these things could also be cooked over fire pits if they are set up properly.

Essentially, it would be adding some of the functions of a grill or cooktop to fireplaces & campfires.

Things that could be cooked:
*Grilled Chicken
*Rotisserie Chicken
*Chicken kabob
*Grilled beef/steak
*Roast beef
*Beef kabob
*Grilled porkchop
*Roasted ham/pork
*Pork kabob
*Grilled fish
*Fish kabob
*Grilled vegetables (various kinds)
*Veggie kabob
*Bacon
*Grilled bread
*Griddled bread
*Grilled shrimp
*Shrimp kabob
*Griddled flat bread (can be wheat/flour/ or cornbread type)
*Bread-on-a-stick
*Pancakes (on flat griddle)
*Hot dogs
*Stew/soup (chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, veggie)
*Rice (cooked in pot)

Sims could combine various components to make new types of kabobs & stews.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Comments

• PineapplePhonePineapplePhone Posts: 21 Member
    You can't cook anything in a fireplace (at least I can't) but you can cook all sorts of things like marshmallows, fish, hotdogs, etc. on the fire pit in the outdoor retreat mod (which is why I got it, funnily enough). Soups and stews would be kind of interesting. Bacon too. Then there's the wood stove they've got. I think it works the same as a normal stove though.

I could have sworn I saw a brick pizza oven somewhere. Was it a mod or was it part of a Sims 3 expansion pack? Still, I think that might be interesting. Imagine running a pizza parlor!
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    They should definitely add the ability to roast a pig outdoors.
  • Deb2of9RNPRNDeb2of9RNPRN Posts: 6 New Member
    I agree that this would be a good idea. For primitive sims or even if your sims are camping, it would be great if you could cook foods over an open fire. It would be good for historical, but also for challenges that start off with nothing. I mean, you shouldn't be able to cook everything over a fire, but soups and stews and grilling on a spit would be good.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited June 2018
    @PineapplePhone Thanks for the info about fire pits. I'll have to play around with them and see what my Sims can do with them.
    I believe the stone oven was CC for Sims 2 and/or Sims 3.

@Chazzy I almost suggested the pig on a spit along with pictures, but sometimes people here can be sensitive about things and I didn't want to upset anyone (I've encountered people who get very upset about the whole roasted pig thing).

I wish I had remembered to look it up, but there are some forms of cooking where stuff is wrapped in banana leaves to be grilled. And there is a Hawaiian form of cooking where a pit is dug and a whole pig is roasted sort of in the ground.

@Deb2of9RNPRN It would be interesting to see a challenge of starting off with a primitive setting-- maybe tents or shacks and cooking over the campfires/firepits. I wish I knew enough about modding to make a firepit or campfire work like a grill. I wonder if it is possible to make a series of mod items that can be stored in inventory and then placed over a campfire/firepit or in a fireplace and the object itself can do the cooking. Say a portable grill thing could be used for grilling, portable pot for making soups, etc. But, EA could also do something like that.
    Post edited by Suceress on
  • GothicKing13GothicKing13 Posts: 47 Member
    @Suceress I love the idea of a primitive setting, starting with nothing and working your way up! It would make an interesting Rags 2 Riches style gameplay. I make a new game, set my household funds to 0 and let the challenge begin. Still have a few packs to get, yet. Only have a few, been playing The Sims 3 far to long. So, as soon as I get a hold of Outdoor Retreat... so I can have a tent, etc... would be nice! Seasons will make it even more challenging!
    With every deed, you are sowing a seed... though, the harvest you may not see
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Damper (a type of bread, kinda like a giant scone), is cooked in coals.

Either in a camp oven
    plain-damper-12674-1.jpg

Or in the coals direct
    dsc01616-4fd8394544e81.jpg

Suceress wrote: »
    (I've encountered people who get very upset about the whole roasted pig thing).
    I wonder how they feel about a whole roasted cow... or kangaroo

And there is a Hawaiian form of cooking where a pit is dug and a hole pig is roasted sort of in the ground.
    Indigenous Australians use a similar method for cooking meat, and other things.

I've done medieval style cookery, using medieval recipes, over an open fire.
    Though most people imagine medieval cooking pots to be all made of metal, most were made of clay.

21ec1d8fe5302e75d2555fb84cf3c3c8--medieval-life-simple-shapes.jpg

And many people didn't use an open fire, they used one of these:

Brazier1.jpg
    A clay brazier, filled with hot coals, that had a clay pot that sat over it.
    They've been used from ancient times, and are still used today.

s-l300.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Wow! All those ideas are really good! I love that you took the time to add pictures and they make me wish we had the possibility to do that in ts4
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
    Thanks for that information, @Movotti! I figured that medieval peasants probably didn't have much access to metals but wasn't sure what they used. Clay makes sense.

The "Damper" sounds like a good option for things that can be cooked without an actual stove.
    Any other ideas/suggestions?