Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Battery draining question (Asus laptop)

PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
edited June 2018 in Off Topic Chat
So I have a question for Asus laptop users (or anyone who can help really.) I have a Rogstrix gtx 1060, and I've noticed recently when I play Sims that my laptop says "plugged in, discharging" and it's draining my battery while I play (I'm playing the game on Ultra settings.) I looked it up and apparently it seems to be a common thing with Asus laptops, I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem? It just worries me that it might ruin my battery eventually. I saw some people say that it draining down to about 90% is normal, however mine seems to go below that. My battery was halfway charged last night after having plugged it in for a bit, and having Sims on drained it another 10% (can't remember how long I had had the game on for though, it had been a few hours.) Even now, having the game on for about an hour has drained it down about 6%. Is this something that should worry me? Asus doesn't seem to do anything about it, even if you have it serviced...

Edit: so about two hours of playing seems to drain it about 10%.
Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
- Origin ID: PolluxSims -
Post edited by PolluxSims on

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2018
    Your battery went bad. You can't leave the battery in your laptop after it's charged with Asus. You don't need your battery while gaming. You should not game on your battery. You need full power so you need to be plugged in. Charge the battery and pull it out . Only use the battery if your somewhere where you can't plug in. The battery is for doing light computer tasks, not gaming. Asus knew nothing about this issue? Maybe you got an untrained CS rep. It happened to me more than once and Asus knew about the problem when it happened to me. They sent me a new battery.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    To be honest, 2 hours of playing the game and only it goes down by 10% is amazing. XD I think my laptop goes down by that much with me just surfing the web with wifi on.

But like what Phoebebebe said, it's not good to keep the battery it's when it's fully charged but connected with an adapter.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    edited June 2018
    @phoebebebe13 @DeKay I didn't actually talk to a CS rep, this was info I just found online. Do you think I should contact them? Did they make you send your laptop to get serviced or did they just send the battery out to you?

I didn't know that about the battery not supposed to be in though when you're gaming. Can that ruin it by constantly taking it in and out? o.o
    They sent a new battery to me. Asus battery are very sensitive. Only charge them when you need it otherwise pull them out. You can game plugged in without the batter installed
    @phoebebebe13 how do I go about contacting them? Also do you know what info I'll need for it (like a copy of my receipt or anything?)
    google asus, they have an 800 number They will cover your battery if you registered your laptop,they will need proof of purchase .They will only cover the battery if your still under the year manufacturers warranty. They also sell extended warranty
    @phoebebebe13 I'm definitely under the warranty still, I have a warranty card that came with it but it doesn't say how to register it?
    You have to go on their web and register the laptop. You can also call them
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    This is actually true of all laptop batteries. The quickest way to kill them is to leave them plugged in all the time. I've killed multiple laptop batteries that way. And I've never owned an Asus laptop. I've all but killed my current laptop battery. I've got about five minutes to shut things down or plug it back in. But since I never go anywhere, I just leave it plugged in and let the battery be a glorified dust cover.

If you don't travel with the laptop very often, I wouldn't worry about rushing to replace it, unless the laptop is still covered by the warranty. Laptop batteries aren't cheap.
    @phoebebebe13 thank you for your help! I got it registered and contacted them through their website about the problem. If they don't try to offer to replace the battery, I'm gonna call the 800 number and see if someone there can help.

@Seera1024 I don't travel with it but I spent a lot of money on it and have only had it for a month, so I'm definitely still covered by the warranty and am gonna have them fix this if it's possible. For now, I'm gonna try removing the battery while I game.
    @phoebebebe13 sorry for double posting, they replied to me already and I wanted to post here first with what they said. It's a bit long so I'm gonna hide it under spoilers.
    Based on what you explained, we recommend that you first try a hard reset on the device and then reinstall the battery driver to see if any changes are observed with the device. Here are the steps to do the Hard Reset:
    Step 1: Please ensure the unit is powered off. Press and hold power button for 8 seconds to be sure (there should be no lights visible).
    Step 2: Remove the power cord and all other peripherals inserted into the unit (e.g. mouse, keyboard, etc.).
    Step 3: Press and hold the power button for at least 60 seconds.
    Step 4: Connect the charger to the unit and press the power button to turn the unit on.
    Step 5: Observe to see if the problem persists.
    Here are steps to reinstall battery driver:
    Step 1: In the Control Panel, open the Device Manager. Under "Batteries" you should see three items, one for the battery, another for the charger, and a third listed as "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery".
    Step 2: Open each item, this will bring up a Properties window.
    Step 3: Under the "Driver" tab, you'll see an option called "Update Driver." Go through the driver update process for all three.
    Step 4: Once the drivers are all up to date, reboot the laptop and connect your charger please.
    Step 5: If this doesn't resolve the problem, uninstall "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" in the Device Manger completely and restart the unit.
    If the steps happen to fail and the issue persists, please try performing a BIOS reset on the device and plug the device into a different power socket. This will not delete any information from the device, it will refresh the motherboard and its components. Here are the steps for the BIOS reset:

Step 1: Please turn off the unit completely.
    Step 2: Please turn the unit on and quickly press the F2 key on keyboard to enter BIOS.
    Step 3: Please press the F9 key in the BIOS to load optimized defaults and select yes to confirm.
    Step 4: Please press the F10 key to save and exit and select yes to confirm.
    If the steps above fails, please try the steps below:

Step 1: Please press the Windows key and the letter I or go to settings.
    Step 2: Please select Update & Security at the bottom right corner of the screen.
    Step 3: Please select Recovery and scroll to the bottom of the screen for the option "Advance Start-Up".
    Step 4: Please wait for the Advanced Start-up Options screen.
    Step 5: Please select Troubleshoot
    Step 6: Please select Advance Options
    Step 7: Please select UEFI Firmware Settings
    Step 8: Please press the F9 key in the BIOS to load optimized defaults and select yes to confirm.
    Step 9: Please press the F10 key to save and exit and select yes to confirm.

After that, it basically said to factory reset the laptop. I'd rather have your opinion first before continuing on lol.
    Hmm. How long have you noticed the battery draining again? You said you only had the laptop for a month. So did you notice this right away or just very recently?

You could try the first option. I wouldn't really do reset unless you've seen this draining problem happening right away when you bought the laptop.
    832XG3D.gif
    edited June 2018
    @DeKay I think it started right away, but I didn't notice it really until the other night. When I first got it, it'd drain down to about 94% so I didn't really think anything of it. Then the other night I noticed it was draining instead of charging, and looked it up to find out other Asus users were having the same problem.
    edited June 2018
    PolluxSims wrote: »
    @DeKay I think it started right away, but I didn't notice it really until the other night. When I first got it, it'd drain down to about 94% so I didn't really think anything of it. Then the other night I noticed it was draining instead of charging, and looked it up to find out other Asus users were having the same problem.

I used to have that problem with my HP laptop (showing that it's still draining and not charging) but HP has this battery check thing and it fixed it. I don't know if Asus has that.

You could try doing the driver update first and see if it works.
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay i actually tried the driver update earlier to no avail :neutral: I noticed in the email though, they said there should be three options for the battery, except I only noticed two; the one for the adapter and the Microsoft one. There wasn't one for the battery at all like was stated. I didn't uninstall the Microsoft driver like the email said though, I'm worried it could mess up my computer somehow and I don't wanna take that chance.
    Hmm. Then I'm not too sure. Let's wait for Phoebebebe to comment. XD

If I were you, I would just try the reset since the laptop is just a month old and might not have a lot of personal stuff or programs. If you do, then you have to move those out and also uninstall certain programs like Microsoft Office or your anti virus to free up the license. I did a reset before on my old computer without saving anything and it uninstalled all my programs and I hate to buy a new license key for Microsoft Office.
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay yeah I'd have to see, our Microsoft only got three codes when we bought it and I put the last one in this laptop, I have to see if it can even be uninstalled. Plus the same with Malwarebytes, I just bought the premium but it's for one computer only and idk if that can be done with that either x.x
    PolluxSims wrote: »
    @DeKay yeah I'd have to see, our Microsoft only got three codes when we bought it and I put the last one in this laptop, I have to see if it can even be uninstalled. Plus the same with Malwarebytes, I just bought the premium but it's for one computer only and idk if that can be done with that either x.x

I think they both should be okay if you uninstall them.
    832XG3D.gif
    I never had to do that. They gave me a new battery. I called the 800 number. Messing with your bios can mess up the computer if you don't know what your dong.
    edited June 2018
    @phoebebebe13 I was looking last night and I'm not sure the battery can come out of my computer

tumblr_padd4k2NBy1wru29ao1_1280.jpg
    What's model of Asus is this?
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay it's a GL503. I tried looking up how to remove the battery for it but didn't find anything.

I am gonna reply to their email later and tell them that I tried the hard reset they suggested, but how the battery driver seems to be missing.
    Hmm, yeah, seems that the battery is locked inside. That's problematic.
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay @phoebebebe13 I'm sorry for taking you guys again, but just wanted to give an update: so basically I replied to Asus about a driver seeming to be missing, and they replied back that not every laptop or whatever will have three drivers, and to continue on with uninstalling the Microsoft one, then doing the Bios loading, etc. It all seems a bit... odd to me? And uninstalling drivers like that kinda makes me anxious I might mess up my computer, so I'm wondering if I should just go straight to doing a factory reset (as long as I can get my codes for Microsoft and Malwarebytes back.) I have a feeling none of it is really gonna fix the problem though, so I wanted your opinions first.
    Hmmm, I'm not quite sure. Seems like they are too lazy to give you a new battery.

I would not suggest you to do a BIOS.

You could a system reset but yeah, I doubt it will solve the problem. But it really depends what the problem of the battery is. It could have been defected from the start too and you won't know until you do a reset.
    832XG3D.gif