Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Summers off?

Hey, fellow simmers, has anything been said about whether kids will have summers off from school? Just wondering.
You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Destin2016 wrote: »
    Hey, fellow simmers, has anything been said about whether kids will have summers off from school? Just wondering.

We don't know either way.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    I don't think they've said, but I doubt it. I think taking an entire 7 days off from school is losing too much time when children/teens only have a few weeks before aging up (using normal life span and the default season length as an example). Just my opinion. :smile:
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    They never had summers off in previous game so I don't think it will happen here. However kids and teens get like 3-4 vacation days so if you have them use that and then either have them call off sick or have a sim with a high enough writing skill write them an excuse note you could create a summer holiday quite easily if you have it set to the default week long seasons.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I doubt it also, but it might be something that can be done with the new calendar or custom holiday feature. I’m thinking we could add a few “holidays” in a row or something like that to make a summer break.
  • Options
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I doubt it also, but it might be something that can be done with the new calendar or custom holiday feature. I’m thinking we could add a few “holidays” in a row or something like that to make a summer break.

Good idea! I do remember a tweet somewhere that a guru hinted that there would be no school on a holiday.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    ...Some places have school during the summer, but iirc in TS3 they did not have off during summer.
  • Options
    PinklixtyPinklixty Posts: 37 Member
    I didn't hear anything about that, but I doubt that they will actually go that far to take school off in the summer.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Not sure if I'd like that. Would have to find something for my kids to do all day.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Doubt it, as others have said, 7 days off is a good chunk of their childhood life. If you had a longer age span or just wanted to give them suffer off anyway, you could always use vacation days. I'm sure you could make a holiday every day of summer called "school's off!" to give them the day off as well :)
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited June 2018
    I asked if kids would be off on holidays in luth's info thread and rosemow linked me this. I'm beyond excited for the possibilities. For me not just vacations but challenges and other days being used as "holidays".

If this works out you could make your summer vacations. I could have homeless challenges be "holidays" in a way.
    I really hate to use mod so I'm looking forward to this as a tool.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I doubt it, it's too long of a time, but I do hope they have off on holidays though.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited June 2018
    They can if you play with the calendar. It was stated you could have everyday a holiday

And then kids can get holidays off

So if you want summer vacation mark the two months (or whatever you choose) as holidays and kids don't go to school.

More I hear about the calendar the more happy I am with this pack :smiley:
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2018
    But if you make everyday a holiday does that mean adults wouldn’t go to work either? I mean it would work short term but I don’t think I’d want my adult sims not to work and get job performance just so the kids wouldn’t have to go to school in summer.

However this would be a godsend for a historical save or save where you wanted to home school your kids along with the parents working from home in some fashion.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited June 2018
    3KNPen wrote: »
    But if you make everyday a holiday does that mean adults wouldn’t go to work either? I mean it would work short term but I don’t think I’d want my adult sims not to work and get job performance just so the kids wouldn’t have to go to school in summer.

However this would be a godsend for a historical save or save where you wanted to home school your kids along with the parents working from home in some fashion.

It sounds to me like it's an *option* to make a holiday a no-school day. Could be just an option for adults too. So... maybe you could make every day a school holiday? But we don't yet know if we can have two holidays on the same day, I think.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »

It sounds to me like it's an *option* to make a holiday a no-school day. Could be just an option for adults too.

I hope so.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Not sure if I'd like that. Would have to find something for my kids to do all day.

and kids whinning that their bored.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I have a feeling it will all be options and optional. Just guessing but it seems likely you can send your kids to school, keep them home .. have more days off than vacation days off provide. I don't think you will have to use it like this but for some people it will make more and different stories possible. I don't have to call any of these days holidays to use it.. They could all be my twisted universe days lol.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    If they follow previous version kids might have school off if the day reaches a certain temperature. Same with winter perhaps if it gets too cold or snows alot they'll get a snow day.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'd be incredible disappointed if kids didn't naturally get summers off. It already hard enough to do anything with them since they're gone for a majority of the week. I was excited for Seasons so summer could finally give my kids a relief from school, but it doesn't see like that'll be the case. :(
  • Options
    I'd be incredible disappointed if kids didn't naturally get summers off. It already hard enough to do anything with them since they're gone for a majority of the week. I was excited for Seasons so summer could finally give my kids a relief from school, but it doesn't see like that'll be the case. :(

Well, it sounds like you'll be able to use the calendar to simulate a summer break, if its not an automatic feature in the game. So I wouldn't be too worried. :)
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Maybe not the full summer; but it seems like they will have multi holidays where they will have a break. We might even be able to make it seem like a summer break if we edit the calendar (like maybe set a certain amount of days where there is no school or work).
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Maybe not the full summer; but it seems like they will have multi holidays where they will have a break. We might even be able to make it seem like a summer break if we edit the calendar (like maybe set a certain amount of days where there is no school or work).
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    The sims 3 has holidays off and the kids get snow days off so they may add snow days with TS4 seasons along with holidays
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Thanks y’all for all the replies. I didn’t even think about the aging thing since I play with aging off. My kids always had summers off in TS3 but that was because of the wonderful NRAAS mods! And I am really looking forward to the calendar system. Sounds like it is going to be so awesome.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Looks like I'm going to have to make a summer vacation and Christmas break take up a large chunk my calendar.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"