Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you be okay with more EPs without worlds?

Comments

• dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I think every EP should a have a new world OR add to all existing worlds, like Seasons does. If for example, there would be a pack that would open up all water in all worlds and make it swimmable and expand the maps that way, I wouldn't really need it to have a new world, because they put all that work in all the existing worlds. If an EP didn't have a new world or a transformation of all existing worlds, I'd be very confused why it's considered an EP when it gives us less features than a GP. I'm already confused about the distinction between EPs and GPs.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as off-map lots in TS4.

Well they don't appear in the UI but the team still needs to make a surrounding neighborhood for them. Magnolia Promenade and the career lots aren't recycled maps. They just used the world props of the already made worlds. GTW came with 4 neighborhoods technically but I guess making the actual ui maps for those can come out as expensive according to a simguru.

Honestly I think a new world should be made if it makes sense and/or if the budget allows for it.

In packs like Parenthood a new world doesn't make any sense because they are just extending gameplay related to the sims themselves. They didn't add any new significant venues or new active careers nor it revolves solely around a world (like CL).

Off map lots like the Hospital etc meaning they don’t need a map UI which the Guru’s claim eat away the budget.

I call them recycled because they’re existing assests rearranged to look like a new place.

Most of the work in worlds in TS4 come from creating all the assets needed, I doubt rearranging them is too hard.
    (If you didn’t know, both Mag Prom and The Hospital area reuse Willow Creek backdrops (less obvious than Newcrest) and the Science Lab is just on a flat square of sand terrain).

That’s true! But that same theory could be said for Get Together since that pack only focuses on tools on the Sims and what they can do.
    Or Cats & Dogs since the only thing Brindleton Bay offers Pets is a fountain for Cats (also in Build Mode), Pet Cementary (could have been a lot), and walking tracks by the beach (the other two don’t really offer walking tracks).

So really, C&D and GT didn’t *techincally* need worlds either and both were light on actual gameplay.

The terrain object is the biggest component to the maps in this game. They can’t be rearranged. The maps for the hospital/police station, and science center reuse decorative assets (block buildings, props, VFX, etc), but the world object is a completely different design that had to be created from scratch. It’s definitely not like Newcrest - that is where you can see how little rearranging can be done. If something needs to be changed, then new pieces have to be created to fit specifically where they are needed. Newcrest features basically the exact same design as 3 of the neighborhoods from Willow Creek. The GTW neighborhoods have completely different designs, even MP has an entirely different design. Reusing textures, and props isn’t really recycling an entire map.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    It really just depends on what the EP is adding. I'm okay with no world for Seasons because it has so many other features to make up for it. But if the EP doesn't add that much, having a new world makes me more likely to buy the pack.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Well they don't appear in the UI but the team still needs to make a surrounding neighborhood for them. Magnolia Promenade and the career lots aren't recycled maps. They just used the world props of the already made worlds. GTW came with 4 neighborhoods technically but I guess making the actual ui maps for those can come out as expensive according to a simguru.

Honestly I think a new world should be made if it makes sense and/or if the budget allows for it.

In packs like Parenthood a new world doesn't make any sense because they are just extending gameplay related to the sims themselves. They didn't add any new significant venues or new active careers nor it revolves solely around a world (like CL).

Off map lots like the Hospital etc meaning they don’t need a map UI which the Guru’s claim eat away the budget.

I call them recycled because they’re existing assests rearranged to look like a new place.

Most of the work in worlds in TS4 come from creating all the assets needed, I doubt rearranging them is too hard.
    (If you didn’t know, both Mag Prom and The Hospital area reuse Willow Creek backdrops (less obvious than Newcrest) and the Science Lab is just on a flat square of sand terrain).

That’s true! But that same theory could be said for Get Together since that pack only focuses on tools on the Sims and what they can do.
    Or Cats & Dogs since the only thing Brindleton Bay offers Pets is a fountain for Cats (also in Build Mode), Pet Cementary (could have been a lot), and walking tracks by the beach (the other two don’t really offer walking tracks).

So really, C&D and GT didn’t *techincally* need worlds either and both were light on actual gameplay.

The terrain object is the biggest component to the maps in this game. They can’t be rearranged. The maps for the hospital/police station, and science center reuse decorative assets (block buildings, props, VFX, etc), but the world object is a completely different design that had to be created from scratch. It’s definitely not like Newcrest - that is where you can see how little rearranging can be done. If something needs to be changed, then new pieces have to be created to fit specifically where they are needed. Newcrest features basically the exact same design as 3 of the neighborhoods from Willow Creek. The GTW neighborhoods have completely different designs, even MP has an entirely different design. Reusing textures, and props isn’t really recycling an entire map.

Maybe they didn’t rearrange, but maybe remodelled? Or they copied a lot of the backdrops.

It’s just in some areas, there are backdrops that are identical to the ones in Willow Creek.
    Eg. The one where the hospital is, has the exact same backdrop to the Willow Creek area where the Pancakes live.

While part of it is different, the other half is identical even down to the way the decor items are arranged and how the backdrop trees etc are placed. I think they might have taken existing maps, and rather than rearrange, they completely remodeled it.

Or they made new maps but recycled chunks to same time.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    For me it just totally depends on the EP. I can't think of many themes that wouldn't feel like they need a world. TBH, Pets would have been one of them! And Seasons another. So... I don't think there's much more that I want that wouldn't benefit from or need at least a small world.

This -- some themes could probably get by with a "mini-world" like we got Magnolia Promenade with GTW, or Forgotten Hollow with the Vampires GP. I love Brindleton Bay but I think a small 5 lot world would have worked fine -- one lot for the vet clinic, one for a training center, and then 3 more vacant lots for houses. I've been campaigning for some time for a modern reboot of Sims 1's Makin Magic; that could have a small Magic Town hood with lots for magic duels and such, maybe in the "public area" a cart to sell magical wares (modeled after the food carts) but with changing inventory so maybe something you need isn't available every day. Maybe the cart could also double as the fortune-telling station and/or matchmaker.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    No, I am running out of room. I need more space.

Just out of curiosity, we have over 200 lots in The Sims 4 right now. Do you actively play with every lot?

It’s just, a lot of people who say they’ve run out of space, then go onto say things like “I don’t bulldoze EA lots” or “I only have one or two packs” which means that even if they added more worlds in TS4, would people still have access to them or make use of them?

I know that when I was playing, I realised there was so many lots I didn’t even use that I’d built because they didn’t serve a purpose. So while I had them on the map, I never used them and wasted space .

The more packs you have the more space you need.

Think of the venues that have been added -- with the Sims 4 system you don't need them in every world, but there are still a lot out there, and you might want more than one to keep yourself from going to the same place every time.

Bars/lounges/nightclubs(subset: bowling lanes)
    Gyms
    Parks
    Museums
    Spas
    Restaurants
    Karaoke Bars
    Arts Center
    Vet Clinic

Probably more I'm forgetting.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Depends on the pack. University will need a college-town world , and Witches should come with a world like Vampires did. A vacation pack is expected to have a new destination world.

I would say most EPs need one to suit the theme.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited June 2018

Maybe they didn’t rearrange, but maybe remodelled? Or they copied a lot of the backdrops.

It’s just in some areas, there are backdrops that are identical to the ones in Willow Creek.
    Eg. The one where the hospital is, has the exact same backdrop to the Willow Creek area where the Pancakes live.

While part of it is different, the other half is identical even down to the way the decor items are arranged and how the backdrop trees etc are placed. I think they might have taken existing maps, and rather than rearrange, they completely remodeled it.

Or they made new maps but recycled chunks to same time.

No offense but you must have glossed over the part where I explained the decorations (backdrops, block buildings, trees, objects, etc). Those are not part of the terrain/world object, they are placed on top of it. The terrain, roads, pathing, and water are all modeled to fit together a specific way to create the environment. The backdrops are not hardcoded into the world, they are separate - which is why they can modded out entirely.

That being said, the GTW neighborhoods absolutely do feature world assets not found in the base game. The city block buildings are nowhere in the base game worlds*, and they make up the largest part of the hospital/police, and retail district decorations.

* I am intentionally excluding Newcrest because that was not a base game world, and was released after the GTW expansion. It copies a few Willow Creek maps, and borrows world assets from GTW, OR, and the base game. It actually is recycled, and unlike the GTW neighborhoods it’s reusing more than just decor.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member

Just out of curiosity, we have over 200 lots in The Sims 4 right now. Do you actively play with every lot?

It’s just, a lot of people who say they’ve run out of space, then go onto say things like “I don’t bulldoze EA lots” or “I only have one or two packs” which means that even if they added more worlds in TS4, would people still have access to them or make use of them?

I know that when I was playing, I realised there was so many lots I didn’t even use that I’d built because they didn’t serve a purpose. So while I had them on the map, I never used them and wasted space .

I have all world adding packs with the exception of vampires. For the last 9 months i have been creating base saves. A template of sorts. And I have so many ideas and families that I want that they don't all fit. I want single sims, roomie style households, small families, and large families alike. I also want restaurants and gyms, spas and parks for those sims, but once you add even just two of each lot type. (2 gyms, 2 museums, 2 parks, 2 vet clinics, 2 restaurants, 2 bars, 2 lounges/karaoke bar/nightclubs, 2 cafés, etc) You quickly run out of room. Plus I like to have lots of restaurants for variety. I like spreading things out amongst the world's.

So no, I am not actively using every single lot in every save but I use it somewhere. Some of my lots have stories that relate to my sims, and I like that.

In a pack like seasons, maybe we don't need a world. But in other packs I do want a world. For me, room to build and expand families is what I want. Some people want new interaction between sims or careers or new traits. And while yes I do want those things, I want a new world even more.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer no new worlds so my real vote would be please stop giving us worlds unless they add to the theme and offer new game play like a world with a beach or University I feel as if worlds take away actual stuff I'm looking which is game play and new systems that change how you play not new scenery.

Why would you want the option of less when you can have more?? You don't even have to use the worlds lol
  • PRSJMSPRSJMS Posts: 66 Member
    I just really want a new world with lots of new families to play with... Brindleton Bay is very pretty and I like it a lot but there are only 2 familes and 1 single sim. I want something like Windenburg in terms of families and lots. I would be satisfied for a while if the next EP after seasons added a world like that. I know not everyone plays with the premades so this is just my opinion.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer no new worlds so my real vote would be please stop giving us worlds unless they add to the theme and offer new game play like a world with a beach or University I feel as if worlds take away actual stuff I'm looking which is game play and new systems that change how you play not new scenery.

Why would you want the option of less when you can have more?? You don't even have to use the worlds lol
    Why would I want "less" and I could just not use the worlds you say...

Why do you assume just because we don't get a world we get "less"? When they create a world that takes out time and a large chunk of that packs budget so we do get less we get less systems added we get less objects we lose a lot to gain a world which I don't really care for. So I guess your right I could get a world I don't even have to use or a lot of content I will actually use such a hard choice for me.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I was looking forward to a new world and am a bit sad that we don't have one. However, I much prefer, overall, to have better interactions and gameplay with Seasons. Moving forward, however, I'd like new worlds. Especially another empty world--it's hard to add new buildings--especially from so many wonderful creators! I really hope, for example, if we got a witches/elementals GP it had a world attached for a Hogwarts type school and a few houses. Thinking the size of Selvadorada as opposed to Vampires tiny world that could have used more lots.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    Oh gosh, I wish Seasons had a whole new world, that is disappointing.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member

I love new lots because I like s lot of different venues, many that I download from the gallery.... there are so many wonderful lots out there!
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    of course :) I would be happy for them to give the worlds a rest to add more gameplay, content and tools as well as more packs
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I do use the various worlds so I don't want to see them cut back on them too much. That said, I'm all for increasing gameplay.

I'm with the people who say that it depends on the pack. There are some cases where I'm ok with not having a world. I'll be fine with it with Seasons as long as I have enough space.

I do play with a large rotation so I'm either using the lots or my regular townies are in them. If I get really desperate for space, I could start tearing down some lots and have fewer gyms and libraries. I do use the different settings when I switch around in my rotation though. I'm actually someone who appreciates having a few different-looking gyms. I also have a bunch of restaurants, all of which get used.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited June 2018
    It basically depends on the theme of the pack.

Having said that, I'm leaning toward the "Yes" side of the fence, only because there is so little real estate in the game. There's far too few lots for the amount of residences and venues that I would like to include in the game.

The Sims in my story are San Myshuno folk. From time to time, they spend time in Willow Creek, Newcrest, and very rarely Oasis Springs (which is so different from the first three that I consider Oasis Springs to be a day trip away -- at least). I consider Brindleton Bay and Windenburg to be even further still. As a result, for storytelling purposes, there really isn't enough real estate available to tell a story. It becomes quite tedious having to switch out lots so often. This is especially true in San Myshuno that barely has any commercial space.

On a related point, all the venues end up in the same few locations which provides very little variation in backdrops and ambience.

For those who don't care about those kind of things, I'm sure that it's a non-issue. However, for me, those things matter. So, I guess that I would be willing to wait longer for packs if it meant that they also contained new worlds along with the new features and content. (Preferably a world with a functioning beach?)

Edited to Add: Btw, if a CAW application is ever released, that would make my entire response moot. If there were a CAW program, I would prefer that EA concentrate on features because, from past experience, the community is incredible at creating world content without the constraints that the EA designers have to work with.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Seasons has the good excuse of going through the effort of modifying all the existing worlds instead, but usually I'd rather have a new world in each EP. Worlds in gamepacks are nice too. Just give me more worlds. Thanks.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • DestrxDestrx Posts: 49 Member
    Is it bad that worlds don't seem important to me in every pack - just packs that seem like they deserve their own world...? I don't mind worlds being only an occasional thing.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    Like a Lot of other people said for me it depends on the pack. I want more vacation worlds, particularly a beach world. I think packs like university need either a new world or a "off the map world". But other packs I want like a Hobby pack or Romance pack, I don't feel need a world and would prefer they focus on gameplay and new animations.
  • TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    No I don't think so. We don't even have enough lot now. Due to the fact that there is certain places where you put lots, it limited. Unlike the sims 1-3 (they have a lot of lots for each world).
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • Octavie88Octavie88 Posts: 140 Member
    I care less about new worlds and more about the amount of lots they'll contain. I'd rather get a few new worlds that are huge, than a bunch that are small.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Yes.

Personally I am not out of space (but that's mainly because I stick to one family I guess) and I'd rather have deeper content instead of another set to tell the same old story.

With The Sims 4 it's always OR/OR not AND/AND. I guess it's clear by now we have to make a decision what we think is more important. Gameplay or a new set.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I barely use the worlds we have, lol. Unless it's a pack that pretty much requires a new world (vacations, or farming), I really don't care if we don't get one...