Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you be okay with more EPs without worlds?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
I have noticed that we get more content when they don’t have to make new worlds.

The last time we got 2EPs and 2GPs was in 2015, with Get To Work reusing base game maps and Spa Day not including one.

In 2016, we only got 1GP and City Living, with City Living having a huge amount of new resources, probably twice as many as any other world.

2017 we got Vampires, then a huge gap. We got Cats & Dogs, with the smallest world yet, and at a guess a lot of the world team had to work on Jungle Adventure.

Now in 2018, it looks like we’re back to 2EPs, 2GPs and 4SP again.

And it just so happens Seasons doesn’t come with a new world, and GP7 probably won’t (at this stage).

SO, if it meant more packs, would you be okay with less worlds in packs that don’t *really* need them?

Would you be okay with more EPs without worlds? 213 votes

No! Every world should have a full size world!
22% 48 votes
Yes, if it means more EPs, I’ll take some EPs without worlds.
46% 100 votes
Yes, but I at least want off-map lots for new major venues, like the Get To Work venues.
9% 21 votes
No, Game Packs are where I go for in-depth gameplay, and EPs are where I go for good for expanding the base game content/ideas with some new gameplay here and there.
20% 44 votes

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Also, I’ll point out:

Get Together has the biggest world, and the smallest amount of new physical gameplay (Clubs is mostly UI based).

City Living has the second biggest world, and has the second least amount of new gameplay.

Cats & Dogs has the third biggest world of an EP, and outside of Cats & Dogs lifestates, the content isn’t as large as what came with GTW & Seasons.

Get To Work added Sixam (which looks like a lot of work went into it) and the reworked lots and arguably had the biggest amount so gameplay to date (I know its not everyone’s cup of tea but there’s a lot of new physical gameplay and animations).

And now Seasons, deep snow aside, seems to have the most new physical content of any EP and is the only one to not have a new world at all (there’s a chance that they worked on other worlds with Seasons in mind(?) and made snow, Fall etc variants, and kept the Seasons budget on Weather).

Also, Outdoor Retreat lacked a lot of content over the world, compared to Parenthood & Dine Out etc.

I don’t know how to put Vampires or JA in the list because they seem to have a higher budget compared to other GPs, at least when you factor in everything they come with.

edited June 2018
    My opinion, I feel like every EP will add a notable venue and I think off-map lots are a good solution (much better than clogging up the main menu).
    *I’m looking at you, Magonolia Promenade*

Major venues that are on the level of a Hospital, Police Station, Science Lab etc (like a Fire Station, Cementary or something) that could have a custom environment, and you wouldn’t have the urge to have more than one, are good to have off-lot and universal to all worlds.

If they only have to make one area, then that would save money for resources.

They also said making a map screen is expensive and takes money away from new gameplay. So :tongue:

If there’s no new major venue, and the EP theme is universal (like Seasons or GTW) then I don’t need a new world.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2018
    There's no such thing as off-map lots in TS4.

Well they don't appear in the UI but the team still needs to make a surrounding neighborhood for them. Magnolia Promenade and the career lots aren't recycled maps. They just used the world props of the already made worlds. GTW came with 4 neighborhoods technically but I guess making the actual ui maps for those can come out as expensive according to a simguru.

Honestly I think a new world should be made if it makes sense and/or if the budget allows for it.

In packs like Parenthood a new world doesn't make any sense because they are just extending gameplay related to the sims themselves. They didn't add any new significant venues or new active careers nor it revolves solely around a world (like CL).
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 334 Member
    edited June 2018
    Worlds are only needed in packs where they are required. So yes, I would be be okay with less worlds in future packs that don't have any reasons to include one other than "players need more lots".

However, I do think that seasons not having a world will be an exception, and that future expansion packs will have new world(s), as some of the expansion packs of The Sims 3 that didn't have a world such as Generations, have now been condensed into game packs.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I think the question should be: would you be ok with more EPs without world's for an increase in gameplay quality and depth?
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as off-map lots in TS4.

Well they don't appear in the UI but the team still needs to make a surrounding neighborhood for them. Magnolia Promenade and the career lots aren't recycled maps. They just used the world props of the already made worlds. GTW came with 4 neighborhoods technically but I guess making the actual ui maps for those can come out as expensive according to a simguru.

Honestly I think a new world should be made if it makes sense and/or if the budget allows for it.

In packs like Parenthood a new world doesn't make any sense because they are just extending gameplay related to the sims themselves. They didn't add any new significant venues or new active careers nor it revolves solely around a world (like CL).

Off map lots like the Hospital etc meaning they don’t need a map UI which the Guru’s claim eat away the budget.

I call them recycled because they’re existing assests rearranged to look like a new place.

Most of the work in worlds in TS4 come from creating all the assets needed, I doubt rearranging them is too hard.
    (If you didn’t know, both Mag Prom and The Hospital area reuse Willow Creek backdrops (less obvious than Newcrest) and the Science Lab is just on a flat square of sand terrain).

That’s true! But that same theory could be said for Get Together since that pack only focuses on tools on the Sims and what they can do.
    Or Cats & Dogs since the only thing Brindleton Bay offers Pets is a fountain for Cats (also in Build Mode), Pet Cementary (could have been a lot), and walking tracks by the beach (the other two don’t really offer walking tracks).

So really, C&D and GT didn’t *techincally* need worlds either and both were light on actual gameplay.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited June 2018
    It really depends on the pack theme. Seasons, for example, is about existing worlds, so, no new world is needed (wanted, yes, needed, no).

Why did you make it private, I'm not ashamed of my vote.
  • AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Also, I’ll point out:

Get Together has the biggest world, and the smallest amount of new physical gameplay (Clubs is mostly UI based).

City Living has the second biggest world, and has the second least amount of new gameplay.

Cats & Dogs has the third biggest world of an EP, and outside of Cats & Dogs lifestates, the content isn’t as large as what came with GTW & Seasons.

Get Together has the smallest amount of new physical gameplay? I doubt that. There are a lot of new gameplay objects (DJ, dancing, arcade, foosball, darts, don't wake the llama, bonfire, etc. and many small side features (improved social interactions, new venues, etc.), and all of them are well-made.

I feel like people often overlook features other than clubs in Get Together because EA marketed the EP around clubs. But besides clubs, Get Together also has many content that are very useful and suits different play styles.

Despite not having a full-sized world, I don't think Get to Work has as much content as Get Together does. The retail system is basically talking to customers and becoming a millionaire in a few days. The three careers are okay but once I played through all of them I don't have much incentives to play them again. Sixam is amazing, but not everyone's taste.

I do have high hopes for Seasons though.

If EPs would come out faster, and have more contents, it's okay to not have a new world, but I don't want this to be a normality. If there are separate world packs sold, or we can create our own worlds, that's a different story, but currently we'd have to depend on expansion packs for new worlds. I don't like off-map worlds because I want more lots that my sims can live in, and I bet many players feel the same. We just need more SPACE.
  • AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member
    Also, there are many types of worlds that people wants. Now the most popular ideas are beach world and farm world. I think a lot of people just want more worlds in general. As long as EPs are still the only way to get a full-sized world, people will be disappointed that we are not getting one. Even if the gameplay of the pack does not need any worlds, and even if the world is only loosely related to the theme of the pack, many people would still want a new world just for the world itself.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    For me it just totally depends on the EP. I can't think of many themes that wouldn't feel like they need a world. TBH, Pets would have been one of them! And Seasons another. So... I don't think there's much more that I want that wouldn't benefit from or need at least a small world.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Depends on the EP, but I love the idea of more packs! :smiley:

I would like a beach world with ocean swimming (that comes with a beach pack), though. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    As others have said, it depends on the EP.
    In something like a supernatural EP, I wouldn't mind if they didn't include a world. But with other themes a world is more important.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm going to echo the people that says again it depends on the EP... I don't usually complain about what the areas look like but we do have what we have and some themes will need a new background to work with it. So if it's a farm pack.. there would need to be something more rural than what we have. If it's a beach pack we need beaches.. we do have some areas that can serve as beaches but it's not that true white sand and flatter areas that most associate with beach life or vacations. It makes sense to me for Seasons not to have a pack... they happen anywhere and are different depending on where you live. I'm pretty sure they have a plan though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2018
    If it doesn't make sense to put a world in a particular EP, then it's better to use those resources for good game-enhancing gameplay. I always love a new world, but packs should not be half-baked bc of adding an unnecessary world.

Edit: that being said, I'd also be willing to buy GPs that are built almost entirely around a world (thus a world pack). Worlds are important bc they make the game more replayable - one story told in 10 different environments (and slightly altered according to the theme of each world) will be different each time. BUT gameplay is more important bc if the sims and their stories are shallow, they are just sitting in pretty boxes and we (the players) get very bored.
    Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited June 2018
    The only EP imo that doesn't need a new world packaged with it is seasons because it effects all other worlds. Other then that every other EP should include a world or at least some off map lots. I can see university using off map lots for the classes and dormatories, frat/sorority houses and a fame styled EP also using them for interactive careers (film and modeling) and I can see them updating Louges and/or Bars so you can have stages for performances (music, magic, arcobatics)
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I voted yes but it’s not really the right option. For me it would completely depend on the EP! University, for instance, will likely have a campus world. But it’s possible other expansions wouldn’t have worlds with them. As long as they have enough rich content, I’m fine with it.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited June 2018
    The only time they add a new world is when the new world enhances, shows off, or even offers new features of the pack.

Magnolia Promenade/Sixam: Added a place to build business lots, Sixam enhances the aliens themselves by adding a proper setting for them.

Windenburg: a world filled with residences part of clubs, the world itself has a lot to explore for clubs, a bunch of new locations to visit for clubs, dynamic social events take place for clubs, etc. the world was created with the whole concept of clubs in mind.

San Myshuno: The world itself was the biggest feature with a big chunk of the new gameplay confined to the actual world, a lot of the other major features are very well incorporated with the world itself, such as the new careers having certain requirements to visit locations and accomplish tasks within the new world.

Brindleton Bay: a world that has residences that own pets, the world includes a vet so that the player doesn't have to worry about placing one themselves, the world itself has a lot of gameplay opportunities for the pets themselves such as the bushes to explore, dig piles, birds to chase, places for cats to roam around, jump and climb, etc.

Granite Falls: the world itself was the biggest feature of the pack offering a new vacation setting.

Forgotten Hollow: a new dark grim location perfect for vampire residences, already has vampires living in the area, makes vampire training and socials available with no extra effort.

Selvadorada: the world itself is the biggest new feature of the pack with most of the new gameplay confined to that world.

Something like seasons doesn't necessarily need a new world to deliver its full set of features, a new world also wouldn't help expand or enhance the pack since seasonal climates and weather will be available across all the worlds. So to answer the question, I'm totally fine with not getting a new world with new packs if the theme of the pack doesn't really need a new world, let them put their resources in other areas of the pack to make the pack as a whole much better universally across the entire game.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd prefer no new worlds so my real vote would be please stop giving us worlds unless they add to the theme and offer new game play like a world with a beach or University I feel as if worlds take away actual stuff I'm looking which is game play and new systems that change how you play not new scenery.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    No, I am running out of room. I need more space.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2018
    I would prefer more empty worlds or worlds that are built in terms of buildings and venues and such but void of new sims. I need more worlds/space but not really more new sims. With the gallery it is so easy to populate worlds even if you don't want to create all of them yourself and I rather pick and choose which EA Sims are in my games via the official Maxis profile though would prefer their sims to have skills and jobs and such when you add them to the game.
    ~ ~ ~
  • willium_davidwillium_david Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm all for less worlds if the EPs have deeper and better quality content. However, I am always running out of room for my sims, so I still need new worlds, but not at the cost of better content.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am going to say it really depends. If it means that EP is really ood and maybe we get two EPs a year or if it has a lot of game play value and it is really packed with new things to do, then I am fine if we don't get worlds with some (especially since we can move around and travel with). If they have more to do like different venues, have swimming in the ocean, etc...then cool. I will take a EP like that with out a world.

Plus sometimes we do get small worlds with Game packs (both vacation worlds and worlds we can live in even if small). I am hoping that the next world would be a fully functional beach-they can bring back swimming in the ocean, sunburns and tanning, etc...stuff that we are missing. Plus maybe houseboats again. Even if like City Life where apartments are in that world, I wouldn't mind houseboats just in one world if it is well made. As I said, I do like how we can move around so easily and some things do make more sense depending on the type of world (though I won't complain if they make it we can build them anywhere). Because of that, I usually just keep like one museum, bar, club, etc....and remove others if necessary. Now if we couldn't just go world to world, it would be more of a problem.

I am not worried about space as I just tend to kick out pre-made sims and add my own. Don't care if they are homeless or whatever as I rarely play with pre-mades. It isn't so much I hate them as some are really cool, I just find it more fun playing with sims I make or sims based off some of favorite characters or series.
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    As others have pointed out, it really depends upon the pack.

With some packs, I'm admittedly still exploring some of the "new" content that came with them as unfortunately, their releases often coincide with when I'm at my busiest and don't have as much time to play or I have to wait for sales in order to afford some of them.

I love most of the new worlds we've been given (especially as someone who is really into building and decorating)--but I can also appreciate it when we receive a pack where there isn't a new world, but lots of new gameplay or just content. In those situations, it gives me the option to really explore what's new and focus on that and my existing households.

I can also see how/why it would take the devs so long with each new world as I can imagine (outside of the length of time it must take to build/decorate lots or do the animations or create hidden lots) it must take a great deal of preparation to come up with them and their respective concepts to say nothing of having to map them out and deal with all the logistics and then the technical aspects that must come with it to say nothing of the graphics. I don't know how many people are on their team at this point, but that has to be resource intense on its own!
    edited June 2018
    No, I am running out of room. I need more space.

Just out of curiosity, we have over 200 lots in The Sims 4 right now. Do you actively play with every lot?

It’s just, a lot of people who say they’ve run out of space, then go onto say things like “I don’t bulldoze EA lots” or “I only have one or two packs” which means that even if they added more worlds in TS4, would people still have access to them or make use of them?

I know that when I was playing, I realised there was so many lots I didn’t even use that I’d built because they didn’t serve a purpose. So while I had them on the map, I never used them and wasted space .
  • NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    edited June 2018
    still in every world it feels like alot is missing so i prefer EPs that bring new content and gameplay to all worlds, except for one vacation/island/travel EP.

id rather have them place open schools and university in the existing worlds than make a new world to place only those inside. yet it seems like the engine cant handle more venues per world and we will be stuck with a handfull venues divided between private and public.