Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's time to bring in more reaction options like lol, agree and disagree.

Comments

• nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    Given past history (not just when they launched the combined forum for all the games, but even going back to the Sims2 era forum where the dislike/disagree button had to be taken away given the abuses that went on with it), the history of abuse and people taking things way too personally at times, I can see why those buttons may never return again. At the very least, it would lead to unwanted drama and too much time potentially spent "policing" the matter that could probably be better spent on other things.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think there should be a Cookie button. If people think hitting a button that's a cookie is mean, well... I got a cookie button more than you! :lol:

*Plus I'm all for keeping the Awesome button I suggested Years ago. Awesome is Awesome.

-Change how YOU look at things and those things change/ Be the person you think others should be. (I got a loads of these)

**If we're given a button... with 1 or 2... a few will feel hurt they got a 1 instead of a 2. While neither have any meaning as an opinion or view, still some will feel one is bad and one is good. Others will have the opposite view.
    Let's just remember we can't abuse a button if given only 1 push and it being an opinion of something. Plus, we have no idea why that person is pushing it.
    Abuse a button- make me giggle. :cookie:
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the feedback on this.

We currently have no plans to make any changes to the reactions available as they seem to be working out great for the community.

But as always, we are open to feedback, so if you have good arguments for reactions other than the current ones to be made available, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    edited June 2018
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Hi all,

We currently have no plans to make any changes to the reactions available as they seem to be working out great for the community.

But as always, we are open to feedback, so if you have good arguments for reactions other than the current ones to be made available, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
    -Mage

Well I'm down for an optional lol button if that's even possible
    As a matter of fact why not add all and make them optional so simmers can choose what reactions they want to be enabled or disabled or something like that
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

edited June 2018
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    -Mage

As a matter of fact why not add all and make them optional so simmers can choose what reactions they want to be enabled or disabled or something like that

Because ... We people are so curious we couldn't help but look. Then we couldn't help but be so offended someone might not agree with us it will make the moderators have to remove more Topics and fights: Is how I see it.

Instead of seeing how good it is to have someone disagree with us and hopefully give us all the opportunity to see more than our narrow one side... we must worry about anyone who might not be mature enough to handle criticism. Although some say they don't want a disagree button but rather read why instead, truth is- no one really wants to see someone disagree with them. :)

After two years of being told I should tell why I'm dissatisfied with the game- over and over and over and over, I did... I got tired and left TS4. I really rather hit a button on disagree/agree than to go over and over and over and over with each new *person. I'm sure the people who have been here as long are glad I'm not going over and over and over why I dislike TS4, too. :lol::cookie:
    edited June 2018
    @EA_Mage wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    -Mage

:cookie: Who doesn't have to try a cookie button? Glutton free, calorie free! ;)

**Oh, and that contest to make new buttons- the winning icons where never given a place. :(
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Instead of seeing how good it is to have someone disagree with us and hopefully give us all the opportunity to see more than our narrow one side... we must worry about anyone who might not be mature enough to handle criticism. Although some say they don't want a disagree button but rather read why instead, truth is- no one really wants to see someone disagree with them. :)

Since I'm the only person who actually said that in this topic, I'm just going to assume this is a response to me and stop you right there. I couldn't care less about whether or not someone on this forum disagrees with me. I have a lot of unpopular opinions and people disagree with me all the time. If anything, I enjoy the discussion that comes from a disagreement and I enjoy the insight that other people give me to approach a topic from multiple perspectives. When I said discussion is what matters in a forum, I was saying exactly what I meant. There was no hidden meaning and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with emotional grudges or the inability to handle criticism.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited June 2018
    @Cupid wrote: »

Since I'm the only person who actually said that in this topic, I'm just going to assume this is a response to me and stop you right there. I couldn't care less about whether or not someone on this forum disagrees with me. I have a lot of unpopular opinions and people disagree with me all the time. If anything, I enjoy the discussion that comes from a disagreement and I enjoy the insight that other people give me to approach a topic from multiple perspectives. When I said discussion is what matters in a forum, I was saying exactly what I meant. There was no hidden meaning and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with emotional grudges or the inability to handle criticism.

Actually, no. It's not to you and you're not the only person who has said this over the years. I am really sorry if it seemed that way. :)
    Please don't take this personally. As you see... things are easily misinterpreted without any thing just because someone might feel they are the only one. You aren't and they aren't and I ain't.

I have a lot of popular and unpopular opinions, I think that's the way things are in life.

*added the @ because the tag doesn't work in quotes. :)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    -Mage

Because ... We people are so curious we couldn't help but look. Then we couldn't help but be so offended someone might not agree with us it will make the moderators have to remove more Topics and fights: Is how I see it.

After two years of being told I should tell why I'm dissatisfied with the game- over and over and over and over, I did... I got tired and left TS4. I really rather hit a button on disagree/agree than to go over and over and over and over with each new *person. I'm sure the people who have been here as long are glad I'm not going over and over and over why I dislike TS4, too. :lol::cookie:

OMG, the bolded part reminds me back in the old TS3 forum/site days when we had this one member who was a kid who would post his/her ideas on what he/she wanted to see in the game and others would put down his/her ideas by saying that they wouldn't want to see them in the game, that member would then resort to telling the ones who disagreed with him/her that he had reported them for disagreeing with their ideas. But yeah, you're right that even though there's some members out there that says that they would rather have someone telling them why they disagree with their ideas or comments instead hitting a Disagree button and how some of them still can't handle it when it's been explained why someone had disagreed with them. But at least by stating why someone doesn't agree with another members comment can helpfully open up some type of communication between the 2 to come up with something that they both can agree on. jmho
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    -Mage

:cookie: Who doesn't have to try a cookie button? Glutton free, calorie free! ;)

**Oh, and that contest to make new buttons- the winning icons where never given a place. :(

Wow that was like back in 2015 and they still haven't added the emojis :o, i don't think the new mods are aware of that contest
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

lisasc360 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    -Mage

OMG, the bolded part reminds me back in the old TS3 forum/site days when we had this one member who was a kid who would post his/her ideas on what he/she wanted to see in the game and others would put down his/her ideas by saying that they wouldn't want to see them in the game, that member would then resort to telling the ones who disagreed with him/her that he had reported them for disagreeing with their ideas. But yeah, you're right that even though there's some members out there that says that they would rather have someone telling them why they disagree with their ideas or comments instead hitting a Disagree button and how some of them still can't handle it when it's been explained why someone had disagreed with them. But at least by stating why someone doesn't agree with another members comment can helpfully open up some type of communication between the 2 to come up with something that they both can agree on. jmho

Hi :)
    That would be assuming we could. I think there's years of topics here that show how it doesn't work. Imho- sometimes it's nicer to just say I disagree than to go into it all. :(:cookie:

I still remember typing "Disagree/Agree" when they first removed it. Now I need more words or it won't post. :lol:

• ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    I think oversensitivity really gets overused as an argument for everything nowadays. This is simply a matter of abuse. if i get into an argument with someone and they decide they dont like me and disagree on everything I post in the future, i wont be offended... i will just be sad that I cant know how many people actually disagree with me and how many people just dont like me. Then the button ends up not telling me anything useful anyway. Theres just no point for it.
    @Reksoh wrote: »
    I think oversensitivity really gets overused as an argument for everything nowadays. This is simply a matter of abuse. if i get into an argument with someone and they decide they dont like me and disagree on everything I post in the future, i wont be offended... i will just be sad that I cant know how many people actually disagree with me and how many people just dont like me. Then the button ends up not telling me anything useful anyway. Theres just no point for it.

Useful? This is a game site. :cookie:

I don't get your point.
    Reksoh wrote: »

I don't get your point.

Just, it's a button on a game site. What's useful about it. Out of the millions registered here... maybe 20 might disagree. No information there. And really, if they disagree with me that TS4 is the most boring game, I rather see it with a button. I'll take a million for that one. :lol:

It's not useful, there's no pie chart with figures nor does it matter when someone disagrees because they Don't Want Pets or that Swimming in the Ocean is the #1 Thing the game should be adding. ... it's just someone's opinion. Yet, people will disagree and it doesn't matter because it won't change anyone's mind. That's all. - imo. :)

If you think people don't like you on a site, well... do most know you? :cookie:
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    -Mage

Wow that was like back in 2015 and they still haven't added the emojis :o, i don't think the new mods are aware of that contest

I bumped it every few months and then gave up. I don't think they could do it and that's why they just let it go. :(

I don't get your point.

Just, it's a button on a game site. What's useful about it. Out of the millions registered here... maybe 20 might disagree. No information there. And really, if they disagree with me that TS4 is the most boring game, I rather see it with a button. I'll take a million for that one. :lol:

It's not useful, there's no pie chart with figures nor does it matter when someone disagrees because they Don't Want Pets or that Swimming in the Ocean is the #1 Thing the game should be adding. ... it's just someone's opinion. Yet, people will disagree and it doesn't matter because it won't change anyone's mind. That's all. - imo. :)

If you think people don't like you on a site, well... do most know you? :cookie:
    Going by this the only useful things in the world are food, shelter, water, and air. Things can be useful to us in varying degrees. I say a feature on a forum should be useful in the sense that I should be able to derive some type of information from it. Do I need enough information to publish a scientific paper or a psychological study? Of course not...

Sometimes people use the forum just to see what our community thinks of their ideas or suggestions or opinions. It's the only reason a disagree button might be useful for. But when people start using the button out of spite, its not about hurt feelings or "awww, they dont like me!!". Its just that now I cant even look at the amount of disagrees reliably and see how good or bad my idea was.

I don't get your point.

Going by this the only useful things in the world are food, shelter, water, and air. Things can be useful to us in varying degrees. I say a feature on a forum should be useful in the sense that I should be able to derive some type of information from it. Do I need enough information to publish a scientific paper or a psychological study? Of course not...

Sometimes people use the forum just to see what our community thinks of their ideas or suggestions or opinions. It's the only reason a disagree button might be useful for. But when people start using the button out of spite, its not about hurt feelings or "awww, they dont like me!!". Its just that now I cant even look at the amount of disagrees reliably and see how good or bad my idea was.

Oh, I see. You said useful and I just thought... game site and even a Cookie button (which I think is AWEsome) wouldn't be useful either. :lol:

Well, now there are Polls for topics.
    Sometimes it helps to further an idea in a discussion. :cookie:

• bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @Rflong7 :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

Would cookie buttons be fattening?

I miss the LOL button and would love it back, but there are too many people on the forums that would gripe so why bother the mods with another headache.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I think the inability for people who disagree to have a rational, civilized, reasonably-well-thought-out conversation is much wider than any game forum, and therefore a much more entrenched problem than this place could ever hope to resolve. I could say something about modern culture, but really, the instinct to form a majority, agree on a set of core beliefs (true or not), and drive the dissenters out of town (or worse) is probably as old as humanity. We can certainly get better at having polite disagreements through practice, and I for one enjoy these types of conversations very much. However, they can only happen when all the participants want the discussion to stay civil and accept the basic terms of engagement. Unfortunately, too many people these days lack either the skills or the motivation to make this happen, so otherwise friendly communities like this one can quickly devolve into shouting matches if not kept in check.

All this is a long way of saying that while I would love it if LOL, agree, and disagree buttons could exist without being misused, I recognize that this is probably not the case here, or perhaps anywhere that grows beyond a small membership. So on these forums, I'll happily work with the few options we have. If someone wants to tell me I'm wrong, they can take the time to write out why in a coherent way or just move on. I'm good with either choice.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited June 2018
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    We're better off without them. It's just more needless drama. And they WILL be abused. It's been shown.

This. And especially whenever there may be a glitch that allows people to see who hit what, then you're going to have people wondering why so and so hit the lol button on a thread/post that wasn't even funny to begin with. Or you're going to have members blasting whomever had hit the disagree button as there is some people who can't handle being disagreed with, so they turn to attacking those who disagreed with them. Sure I would like to see the lol button come back but I fear that it would be abused again by members who may like not certain forum members here.
    The problem isn’t that people can’t handle being disagreed with. I sure can handle that easily myself if only the person explains why he/she disagrees with me. But I don’t like that somebody just hits a disagree button and hide himself/herself by being anonymous and without any explanation because then I have to guess about both the reason and the name of that person. Hitting a disagree button that way is a hostile act and it would make me wonder if I had insulted somebody in the forum who now is trying as a revenge to make it look like other people disagree with almost everything I write. So I am actually happy that we don’t have such a button!

But everybody are very very welcome to disagree with me anyway if only they have the courage to explain why and to sign their disagreement! :)
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

You just described oversensitivity.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    The argument for the lol button to return or the disagree is because some people on here really don't have the energy to write out long explanations of why they disagree, or why they thought something was funny. I really don't like thought police. Or who can control what others should express or feel. And for the record 2+2 still equals 4. And no we don't need to know who hit a disagree or a lol. Maturity comes with being able to deal. With all that in mind from my point of view, just remove all the buttons and be done with it. I don't know how others will get enough points to be a member so they can post videos and links etc. but this system at this site just breeds resentment, and though I would love even more buttons, if we can't have more just remove them all. It's silly, causes arguments for those not mature enough to handle the internet, and it would finally get rid of that silly leaderboard where all this stems from anyway.

For me, hitting a lol or disagree saves my energy and my health, but whateva, (see how immature I can get) just be done with all of it. There, done playing devil's advocate.

ETA: One more, before anyone can flag someone I would hope that was run by a real person, so they can ask that person (who flagged someone else) are you just upset with their opinion or did they actually use a curse word or was vulgar? That would solve a lot of stuff around here. Clarity: I mean flagging should never be done because you thought someone was rude, it might be our own perception....I mean I think people are rude who don't remove a cap or hat when they enter a building....so there you go.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The argument for the lol button to return or the disagree is because some people on here really don't have the energy to write out long explanations of why they disagree, or why they thought something was funny. I really don't like thought police.
    I don’t like that either. But that doesn’t mean that I think that anonymous attacks should be allowed either! A disagree button is for me only something that should be allowed if we somehow can see who the person who clicked it is. (A LOL button is for me less of a personal attack but somewhat similar anyway.)

We aren’t allowed to post anonymous personal attacks in news medias or even in personal letter to people either. So why should we have the right to do it here?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    Erpe wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The argument for the lol button to return or the disagree is because some people on here really don't have the energy to write out long explanations of why they disagree, or why they thought something was funny. I really don't like thought police.
    I don’t like that either. But that doesn’t mean that I think that anonymous attacks should be allowed either! A disagree button is for me only something that should be allowed if we somehow can see who the person who clicked it is. (A LOL button is for me less of a personal attack but somewhat similar anyway.)

We aren’t allowed to post anonymous personal attacks in news medias or even in personal letter to people either. So why should we have the right to do it here?

Why do you need to know who disagrees with you, if it's not a competition? I'm a little fish in a big sea swimming out here on the internet and I bet 50 million might disagree with me...I don't need to know their names or the 50 million who might agree. My ego isn't that big to have to know. Laugh Out Loud is an attack? Really...remind me to not laugh when I find a joke in a statement. Humor is lost on many. ETA: News is supposed to be the whole truth and nothing but the truth, just the facts, ....this is an opinion site, you don't need to know who doesn't agree with your opinion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.