Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does Seasons mark the beginning of story progression?

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Well I hope you get the option but I also seriously hope it can be turned off. Nothing annoyed me more in ts3 than when the game tampered with my households(usually by moving them out or killing a sim off). One of my Sims daughters getting married and having kids with out my say so would be grounds for abandoning a save for me. :|

I still support having the option for those who want it though. As long as it is exactly that, an option.

If they reserve it to unplayed households, leaving alone households that are marked as played, that would take care of that issue. There's a setting in Game Options where you can have your played households only age when you're actively playing, while the unplayed households continue to age normally, so they could probably have a similar setting for any sort of "story progression". With the MC Command Center mod I've seen plenty of unplayed households get married and have children (occasionally in that order B) ) but they don't affect any of my inactive played households. Have one save where Gavin Richards went around impregnating almost half the worlds, and with a lot of multiples -- Summer Holiday got twins, and I think it was Miko Ojo who ended up with triplets. :o
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2018
    As a toggle.

I’m a rotational player who likes to micromanage multiple families.

I did not like how it worked in Sims 3. They need to make it with options like in the awesome story progression mod that was created for Sims 3.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
    edited June 2018
    peeangg wrote: »
    I don't really see a problem with forced story progression. Relationships are pretty easy to build up and break down in every sims game. Plus there's the manage worlds option which lets you do it yourself if you don't want the game doing it for you and there's a cheat relationships option if you shift click a sim. I don't see much of a downside to it either. I know there's people who micromanage every part of their sims life and story, but I think they're a small, vocal minority as most people probably play this as a video game more than a story telling device. IMO lack of story progression is not a feature, it's a flaw, it's going backwards. They should've improved upon story progression rather than get rid of it completely like they did with a lot of other things.

I just want them to add story progression. I'd like it if they added it in even if forced.

Nope. I would just quit this game if it started forcing this kind of stuff on me. :frowning:

I like controlling all of my sims, and I don’t want the AI to do something out of character for them. I play LGBT families and mixed human-vampire families. I don’t want to find out how the game’s weird AI would treat them.

ETA: And I’m not interested in playing around with lots of cheats, either. Maybe Story progression can be the cheat, then, if cheats are not a problem.
    (She/her)
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Well I hope you get the option but I also seriously hope it can be turned off. Nothing annoyed me more in ts3 than when the game tampered with my households(usually by moving them out or killing a sim off). One of my Sims daughters getting married and having kids with out my say so would be grounds for abandoning a save for me. :|

I still support having the option for those who want it though. As long as it is exactly that, an option.

If they reserve it to unplayed households, leaving alone households that are marked as played, that would take care of that issue. There's a setting in Game Options where you can have your played households only age when you're actively playing, while the unplayed households continue to age normally, so they could probably have a similar setting for any sort of "story progression". With the MC Command Center mod I've seen plenty of unplayed households get married and have children (occasionally in that order B) ) but they don't affect any of my inactive played households. Have one save where Gavin Richards went around impregnating almost half the worlds, and with a lot of multiples -- Summer Holiday got twins, and I think it was Miko Ojo who ended up with triplets. :o

That is a good way to make it an option. We can have up 80 to 200 marked and most people probably don't have that many sims parked as played sims. So if you marked all the sims you want as played, the story progression won't mess with them, which is what most people care about anyways, I doubt people care if townies move, break up, get married, have kids, etc....(will make the game more lively and maybe it will stop spawning new horrible NPCs. I am so tired of them. They tend to look so ridiculous and just delete them since they aren't pre-made or born in the game ). That way existing sims not being played can get married, have kids so our sims children can grow up with them, etc...feel like a really town.

MCCC mod sort of helps; a lot of times with patches and new game packs and expansions requires it to be updated. It isn't a perfect solution; but helps. I wished it was more like NRaas story progression mod as they didn't just give notices, they were often funny and sims who cheats would break up, there would be funny things that goes on, roles assigned, etc...
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Gurus seem to find options particularly hard to input in S4 but if they do manage to get that working than I'd be all for story progression through a toggle option.

If they want to “Make Sims Great Again” they need to leave that comfort zone and go hard as the expansions show up.
    Options are gonna play key fiddle at time goes on and it’s about time we get more of them.

Sounding ridiculous but the more options they introduce, the better. The whole point of sims 4 was to be better, more defined, better engines, more choices, etc etc.

Story progression will be a good stepping stone, bring it in with a lot of detail, options from what household gets married to who can have kids (marked, unmarked, faved, etc), yes it means we may have to spend a few minutes in the game mechanics screen clicking boxes but if it means we get to choose pretty well what goes on in game when we aren’t around, I’m up for it, pretty sure a lot of others are too
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    We need this!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I don't really see a problem with forced story progression. Relationships are pretty easy to build up and break down in every sims game. Plus there's the manage worlds option which lets you do it yourself if you don't want the game doing it for you and there's a cheat relationships option if you shift click a sim. I don't see much of a downside to it either. I know there's people who micromanage every part of their sims life and story, but I think they're a small, vocal minority as most people probably play this as a video game more than a story telling device. IMO lack of story progression is not a feature, it's a flaw, it's going backwards. They should've improved upon story progression rather than get rid of it completely like they did with a lot of other things.

I just want them to add story progression. I'd like it if they added it in even if forced.

Nope. I would just quit this game if it started forcing this kind of stuff on me. :frowning:

I like controlling all of my sims, and I don’t want the AI to do something out of character for them. I play LGBT families and mixed human-vampire families. I don’t want to find out how the game’s weird AI would treat them.

ETA: And I’m not interested in playing around with lots of cheats, either. Maybe Story progression can be the cheat, then, if cheats are not a problem.

What if it only affected unplayed households, and left your played household(s) alone? So the unplayed Sims would do all the carrying on and such, and your Sims would remain in stasis when you're rotated to another family.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited June 2018

What if it only affected unplayed households, and left your played household(s) alone? So the unplayed Sims would do all the carrying on and such, and your Sims would remain in stasis when you're rotated to another family.

Like the culling thing? Yeah, if it could include options like that, then I could be fine with SP.

Otherwise, don’t touch any of my sims, game!

ETA: And the options have to be easy and quick to use. I’m not fond of fiddling around with story progression stuff. It’s one of the things I needed a mod for in Sims 3. And even with the mod, it was a bit tricky to learn for me...
    (She/her)
  • TurquoisePapayaTurquoisePapaya Posts: 318 Member
    Hmm. I'd only want story progression if it is as customizable as or close to as customizable as story progression is with MCCC. If vanilla story progression were to be a simple on/off toggle with no other customization, I'd most likely leave it off and continue using MCCC. It would have to be significantly more and better than just have two townies marry, have them potentially have kids.
    giphy.gif
  • ravelravel Posts: 98 Member

I just want them to add story progression. I'd like it if they added it in even if forced. The people who don't want it can just erase the relationships they don't like with cheats and add the ones they'd like and if they have aging off they'd have enough time. Sims have always done things we don't want them to do and it's always only been a minor inconvenience. I just see it as an extension of autonomy/free will, which is also a vital part of gameplay to me.

Toggles would be ideal. I'm optimistic and I could see them pulling it off even if everyone thinks they'd fail at implementing them. MCCC has really good options for it, I wish there was something like it in vanilla, but testingcheats does let you do a lot of things.

Please just no! If we get story progression, I'll be happy for those who want it, but not if it's forced for everybody. That would break the game for me so badly I don't think I could play it anymore and that would be horrible! I play with many families, and I have friends and relatives of my sims I don't play, but still wan't to manage how their lifes go.

With story progression, I wouldn't wanna break marriages they would do by themselves, and I don't think I could bring myself to delete children they would have, even if I didn't want them to have children. It would be difficult to undo relationships, but it's so easy to create them now. Just go to households cas and create or download sims from the gallery, use genetics to create children for them, put a cat in the mix etc. Story progresson was one of the reasons I didn't buy ts3, and didn't buy ts4 right away (at start they had new romantic relationships left and right, glad it's fixed now).

Still, I feel like it's essential part of the game for so many players. I hope they introduce it at some point, but keep it so that it's optional.
  • peeanggpeeangg Posts: 66 Member
    ravel wrote: »

I just want them to add story progression. I'd like it if they added it in even if forced. The people who don't want it can just erase the relationships they don't like with cheats and add the ones they'd like and if they have aging off they'd have enough time. Sims have always done things we don't want them to do and it's always only been a minor inconvenience. I just see it as an extension of autonomy/free will, which is also a vital part of gameplay to me.

Toggles would be ideal. I'm optimistic and I could see them pulling it off even if everyone thinks they'd fail at implementing them. MCCC has really good options for it, I wish there was something like it in vanilla, but testingcheats does let you do a lot of things.

Please just no! If we get story progression, I'll be happy for those who want it, but not if it's forced for everybody. That would break the game for me so badly I don't think I could play it anymore and that would be horrible! I play with many families, and I have friends and relatives of my sims I don't play, but still wan't to manage how their lifes go.

With story progression, I wouldn't wanna break marriages they would do by themselves, and I don't think I could bring myself to delete children they would have, even if I didn't want them to have children. It would be difficult to undo relationships, but it's so easy to create them now. Just go to households cas and create or download sims from the gallery, use genetics to create children for them, put a cat in the mix etc. Story progresson was one of the reasons I didn't buy ts3, and didn't buy ts4 right away (at start they had new romantic relationships left and right, glad it's fixed now).

Still, I feel like it's essential part of the game for so many players. I hope they introduce it at some point, but keep it so that it's optional.

I think people are over exaggerating how much story progression affected their games and acting like its the end of the world. It was mostly mild, like yeah there were some weird situations but it was mainly just like townies occasionally getting married and having kids and having relationships. In fact, for some people story progression wasn't active enough and their town's population died because they weren't having enough children, like what's happening now.

Also breaking up relationships and deleting sims is really easy with cheats and I don't really see a problem with it. It's just a bit of extra work when micromanaging your sims. If you meant it's hard to delete sims and relationships because you're attached to them, then I'll have to disagree because I only really get attached to sims and relationships I made or played with, not randomly generated children I've never touched, but that's just me.

Imo it's easier to occasionally have to manually undo story progression than it is to have to play with genetics a million times just so your town doesn't die out so that's why I want it and don't see it as a big deal if it's forced. It can be chaotic sometimes, but it really does make it feel like my sims are part of a community, rather than having the whole world revolve around them.
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I'm okay with an option only to add it. Forced story progression would ruin my game.. non story progress with me making major choices for my sims is a vital part of gameplay to me. <b>If it's a minor inconvenience as you say.. then it's a minor inconvenience for you to live your sims lives. It's posts like that this that make me reply and take a stand against it.</b> You get a mod.. you cheat things in, since it's so very easy to do.

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you're saying here? It is not a minor inconvenience to let my sims live their lives, that's why I want story progression and what do you mean by taking a stand against it? Is story progression really that bothersome? Honestly, I think it would add a lot more, rather than take away from the game, but maybe our playstyles are just too differing. Plus undoing story progression would be easy with cheats. I don't like having to turn to mods to add things that I think should've been in the game already because it was a big part of the past game and even though I'm on pc, I can't turn to mods on console.

Like I said, toggles would be the best compromise, but I wouldn't mind it to be forced. Story progression isn't game-breaking, at least not to me. In fact, I'd argue that without it, the game feels empty even though I've made a bunch of my own townies, they don't really do anything other than go to venues sometimes. I feel like I shouldn't have to make all big decisions for every single one of them especially when they could've done it before themselves in 3.
    IceyJ wrote: »

Who wants to spend all of their game time constantly fixing and adjusting the effects of story progression? No way. If we get story progression, it must come with multiple options to choose how it affects played and non-played families. It shouldn't be forced on anyone who doesn't want it.

Well I'm kinda on the other end of the spectrum and I'm stuck manually doing story progression. I still don't see it being forced as a big deal. Not 100% sure, but I think that most players only stick to 1 to a few households rather than planning out elaborate storylines for all sims in their game. If I'm right about this, then I think most players would benefit from it and it would make towns feel livelier.

I don't like having to plan out the lives of 200 sims and would rather have them make their own decisions. Also 3's story progression wasn't as chaotic as people are making it seem. In fact, sims barely moved or had children so it was pretty easy to undo and if we had it in 3, then I don't see why it was missing in 4.

But whatever. My point is, the lack of story progression is not a feature or a good thing. This game should've came with the story progression as an option like it was in 3. However, I don't see it as the end of the world if it was forced. Now that I see many of you disagree I now know that there really does need to be toggles lol, but for me personally, I just want story progression, toggles or not. I can see how it'd annoy people, but overall even if it was forced I think the majority would be happy to see its return.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Who wants to spend all of their game time constantly fixing and adjusting the effects of story progression? No way. If we get story progression, it must come with multiple options to choose how it affects played and non-played families. It shouldn't be forced on anyone who doesn't want it.

Well I'm kinda on the other end of the spectrum and I'm stuck manually doing story progression. I still don't see it being forced as a big deal. Not 100% sure, but I think that most players only stick to 1 to a few households rather than planning out elaborate storylines for all sims in their game. If I'm right about this, then I think most players would benefit from it and it would make towns feel livelier.

I don't like having to plan out the lives of 200 sims and would rather have them make their own decisions. Also 3's story progression wasn't as chaotic as people are making it seem. In fact, sims barely moved or had children so it was pretty easy to undo and if we had it in 3, then I don't see why it was missing in 4.

But whatever. My point is, the lack of story progression is not a feature or a good thing. This game should've came with the story progression as an option like it was in 3. However, I don't see it as the end of the world if it was forced. Now that I see many of you disagree I now know that there really does need to be toggles lol, but for me personally, I just want story progression, toggles or not. I can see how it'd annoy people, but overall even if it was forced I think the majority would be happy to see its return.

You're making the assumption that the majority play the same way you do but I've seen a lot of people talk about how many families they play within one save. I in no way feel that they are the minority. It would be annoying and ruin immersion for them if they kept needing to move sims back, cheat relationships away and delete children. The Sims 2 was designed to be played rotationally, other lots remained frozen in time when you played a different household as you didn't have the option of creating different save games. It lacked progression to the point where different houses would be experiencing different seasons at the same time, because it only progressed when you were playing them. You might not like that style of play but that was a feature of TS2, it was intentionally designed that way and there are many people that got used to playing The Sims like that. A lot of those people skipped TS3 because it didn't fit in with that playstyle, story progression was something they didn't like, to the point where they didn't play that version at all. It would be cruel to change TS4 so that it only fits a playstyle that isn't theirs. Story progression as an option, awesome, but forced is not OK.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    Story progression is my favourite feature in The Sims history. Because TS4 doesn't have real story progression the game feels empty and shallow to me.

And before someone says it: Yes there are mods for that, we all know it.

I love story preogression and rotational play but I only rotational play in the sims 2. With 3 and 4 I would rather there be story progression. (Non active sims lives go on without me intervening) I just cant bring myself to rotational play with 4 idk why. Maybe I was spoiled by 3 and like more of a focus on one family. I use MCCC in my game just so I can have the story preogression I want. I wish they would add it and have an on and off toggle for it.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Luuciia1Luuciia1 Posts: 71 Member
    I desperately need story progression ! cant wait for them to add it, wish we could do something to speed this or to try to force them to make this happen
    ( I mean they would probably put it in the menu so people can decide if they wanted implemented in their game or not such as they have done with seasons, where you could tick the box if you didn't wanted seasons but didn't want your sims to suffer the effects that comes with weathers )
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    I would say no. You already have some story progression and not because of Seasons. Like babies named and growing up without the player if they rotated away from that household. No notice, either.

Townies aging..story progression. Townies changing jobs...story progression. Townies 'moving away' Even friends...culled/deleted...story progression. Your own households aging without you..story progression. Sims getting involved romantically with other Sims without you..story progression.

Sims (yours) making friends and having affairs without you...story progression. Sims meeting Sims you never met...story progression. Townies gaining skills you had nothing to do with...story progression. Time Continuim from one house or world to the other..Story Progression. ETA: Your own Sims gaining skills you didn't want when you return to them...story progression.

You already have a lot of pieces of story progression in game that bothers rotational players more often than not.

Ones that really bug some, Vampires biting others outside your control..that is part of a story progression. Aliens abducting others beyond your control that was story progression. Advancing the story outside your control may bring more things that annoy some.

ETA: And no it wasn't just no big deal to undo TS3 story progression. I didn't appreciate a single Sim of mine in a one bedroom suddenly involved with a townie who had moved herself in, and three more moving in, too, when I wasn't playing him.

ETA: TS3 didn't come with an option to turn off SP until a patch much later. You lived with it. (I have to wonder if people want open spaces/worlds and SP why they aren't playing TS3 where it has everything like that). I have to scratch my head on this one.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree with @Cinebar. There is already forms of story prepgression in game. I would not want SP in the sims 4. If the player rules, let them rule. Since toggles aren’t the sims 4 friends if it were implemented I don’t think they would include the ability to turn it off.
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    They couldn't even pre-patch seasons without breaking the game. I don't trust them to try implementing full story progression, particularly since they had it in The Sims 3 and mods still did it better. They'll sell it like we won't have to micromanage anymore if we don't want to but it'll probably mix everything up so much that you'll micromanage more than before if you don't want a town full of deadbeat parents and everybody on their 5th or 6th spouse.
    I'll probably wind up switching their story progression off and using MCCC like I did with TS3 and Nraas
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    I see no reason why we can't have SP as long as it does not affect played families with a turn off SP option for those who don't want SP and a button to pass on NPC's that have serious romantic relationships with played sims. One of the reasons I use the MC commander mod is for SP were NPCS get married and have babies, it makes the game more nicer to play and MC commander SP by passes played sims families.
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm really confused about this thread. I thought we already had "Story Progression" ?? I mark my households that I play with as Played.. and nothing happens to them (other than they age- when I check that box in the gameplay options) But the townies, move in, move out, have kids, get divorced.. anyone I don't play with, continues their lives without me.. like they should.

Am I wrong? This is how my game runs.. It sounds like a lot of you are suggesting things we already have in game? Or maybe I'm wrong?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited June 2018
    s_stutler wrote: »
    I'm really confused about this thread. I thought we already had "Story Progression" ?? I mark my households that I play with as Played.. and nothing happens to them (other than they age- when I check that box in the gameplay options) But the townies, move in, move out, have kids, get divorced.. anyone I don't play with, continues their lives without me.. like they should.

Am I wrong? This is how my game runs.. It sounds like a lot of you are suggesting things we already have in game? Or maybe I'm wrong?

Unless you use mods your unplayed townies will not move out, get married or have children. They will learn skills and progress in a job if they have one and age but that’s all.
  • Luuciia1Luuciia1 Posts: 71 Member
    But what i mean with story progression, is that I hate having to go to my sims household friends to find that they are nearly in old age and none of them have even started a romantic relationship, nor married, nor had a baby and i have to edit them all over so that some of them have children or even a relationship. What I hate even more is having to stay with them for a bit to skill their babies abilities or to educate their child or adolescent in any way, because they do nothing.
    I mean there cant be any type of story progression when you put in the world an adult sim with their child in the world and when you enter the household when the child is old the relationship they have is always neutral, never a bad one nor a good one, just neutral.
    It makes me sooo sad !
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    As long as I can toggle what households can be subject to it or not, I’m all for it. I don’t want unplanned children being born outta no where for family members outside my household.

I hope story progression offers more than one scenario tho, other than that picture perfect families.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Forced story progression would pretty much make me quit the game because it is completely counter to my playstyle. I would not go in and delete random marriages and children, I would quit playing. It's not something I want in the game. If it were a toggle option, I would never choose it.

I play rotationally with a bunch of households. I basically "play the town". I have a whole way in which I manage story progression in my game and it's part of the fun for me. In TS3, I had to play with one household and one world so I was constantly getting bored and abandoning saves. I like the way that TS4 lets me play now.

Do I want to see more hobbies and activities in the game? Yeah. Do I want to see townies enjoying themselves around town? Yeah. I do some match-making of unplayed sims on my own, but mostly, I have a growing group of playable households that form the main part of the town for me. I want to play those out and see what happens. As for other unplayed households? I manage those myself. I've been known to randomly marry off some townies and to create their kids. Sometimes I go back in later and make those households playable.

Anyway, I agree with whoever said there's no need to add "forced story progression" because you can do all of that in Manage Households and in the settings. Just marry some unplayed households to each other, create whatever children you want them to have with genetics (or go totally random and have them adopt) then move them into an unplayed house in the town. Turn aging on for unplayed households and they will age alongside your sims.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.