Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac users, would you recommend upgrading to High Sierra?

Whenever a new operating system comes out, I'm afraid it'll mess up some things, including The Sims 4. I heard High Sierra causes a lot of lag in the game, but it's been out for a while now, so maybe these issues have been fixed? My MacBook Pro's still running on Yosemite at the moment, and I'm able to play on ultra settings – something I don't want to miss, because I'm such a plum for aesthetics. :no_mouth: What are your experiences? Please take away my fears. lol

My specs, if they matter:
Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mid 2014)
Operating System: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
CPU: 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Origin ID: puderosasims | Simblr
English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.
tumblr_n8pqhqmpdh1th4xn0o1_400.gif

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I run on High Sierra and the game runs fine. You have double the RAM recommended to run the game so you should be fine. I, however, do not play on a laptop as I have a Desktop iMac and do not play on Ultra High.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    I just got a MacBook Pro that’s running High Sierra (came pre-installed) and the game automatically set my graphics settings to Ultra. I’m sort of having a mind blowing experience because it’s very crisp and beautiful, which was a far cry from me running High Sierra on my 2013 MacBook Air which couldn’t handle the graphics settings that high.

I did experience a fair amount of lag while using my MacBook Air, but I suspect it was more the fault of the computer, and not the OS. I’m not seeing any lag on the MBP.
    MacBook Airs are not the best laptops for playing the Sims as they normally are used for Office/School work and are not optimized to run games. MacBook Pros on the other hand are a much "beefier" type of laptop and can handle Sims 4 with ease as long as you have at least 8GB of RAM.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    Thank you for your replies! :) Makes me feel a little bit better about High Sierra.
  • puderosasimspuderosasims Posts: 522 Member
    If anyone still cares, I was willing to run a risk today and upgraded to High Sierra. The game runs fine, maybe even a little bit better than before. At least so far. Phew!
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    If anyone still cares, I was willing to run a risk today and upgraded to High Sierra. The game runs fine, maybe even a little bit better than before. At least so far. Phew!

If you're concerned, I recommend running Time Machine and backing up your game. I downloaded High Sierra on my MacBook Pro (13-inch) last November. That way, if it crashes or something, you've got a back-up (I'm no computer whiz though, but backing up's a good thing to do anyway! :))

My game runs smoothly (on low settings) except when booting up. It pauses for a moment because this little origin pop-up comes up reminding me I can press certain buttons to 'go online'. I don't know how to disable that.
  • ModernxArchitectModernxArchitect Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2018
    I just updated my MacBook Pro to High Sierra a few days ago and I've been having minor issues ever since. But, today, my game won't update even though I updated origin yesterday. It will "prepare" 4.something GB but, when it goes to download, it's only 1.26. Gets to 100% but says it's still downloading and won't do anything. I tried cancelling it and doing it over once but, same result. Anyone have any ideas? :/ This is kinda frustrating.

Of course, as soon as I make a post about it, it starts working just fine...
    It could be a couple of things.

1) Internet connection. You may have a slow connection at that particular time.
    2) Origin itself is having a lot of hits as the patch just came out today. Try again tomorrow and you might have better luck.

I found it took me awhile to update, but I just let it run and it patched just fine.