Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DESTROYED WINTER: Snow is flat, no depth. Snow looks like white paint on the roofs.

celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
edited May 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It's very sad for me to be here talking about it, but after what I saw in yesterday's trailer, unfortunately I see myself with no choices.

The snow of The Sims 4 Seasons doesn't have depth level as in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. Yes, that's exactly it. Basically all they just did was change the texture of the floor to something with a whitish appearance and just that. It's like the "First Snow" mod in which the texture of the floor changes, and the only difference between the mod and what we see in The Sims 4 Seasons is that in the expansion pack the Sims have specific interactions for the snow in the winter period, and the texture of the snow disappears automatically when another season of the year arrives.

hs6fE5e.jpg

For me, personally, this is a very big disappointment. Winter was always one of my favorite seasons because of all the drastic visual change going on in the neighborhood, and the level of snow depth was one of the coolest features that was provided, especially in The Sims 3 where there were 3 different levels depths: low, medium and high.

What left me still more disappointed was the roof of the houses during the winter. It seems they threw a bucket of white paint on the roof and what we see in the pictures is the end result of the prank.

2wGcjAG.jpg

If I did not know this is from an expansion pack, I could say it was the work of some modder.

Meanwhile, in The Sims 3 we have depth levels of snow that even affect the roof. In addition, the texture is very beautiful

LDLhTFX.png
giphy.gif
Reproduction of similar house made in The Sims 3,

Even though the image of the gif is small, we can already see the grotesque difference between The Sims 4 and The Sims 3.

kKDf8nj.jpg

Now see these two pictures taken from The Sims 4 Seasons trailer. As you can see, in both images, the Sims' feet are on top of what the snow would be like. There is no level of depth at all.

I even considered the possibility that, in fact, they just did not show the levels of depth of the snow in the trailer, but not just in the trailer, but in the images that the producers have already made available, it's always the same thing.

In The Sims 3, snow levels are there. Low, medium and high.

giphy.gif

The interesting thing about The Sims 3 is that it is not possible to build snowmen when the level of snow depth is low at the level of the Sims feet. The game requires that the snow be at a higher depth level so that the Sims can make the snowmen.

I know some people may come up arguing that maybe this has been done in The Sims 4 Seasons so the game does not get so slow but well ... graphic options exist for that, right? What's more, there are people with powerful computers who quietly support many layers of snow.

Please, right, we're in 2018, The Sims 3 Seasons was released 6 years ago. Even The Sims 2 Seasons that was released 12 years ago have levels of depth in the snow.

What is happening? Is this one more of the limitations that are always present in the expansion packs of The Sims 4?

Unfortunately we are less than a month from the launch of The Sims 4 Seasons, so it is unlikely that any positive changes will be made in the same period.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one who noticed this problem with snow, and I've seen several people commenting on Twitter.

Happy Seasons for all, and enjoy the winter.
tenor.gif
Post edited by celipoesias on

Comments

• Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I have to agree but sadly what we have here is one of the scenarios that it is evident that Sims 4 has limitations and that comparison from Sims 3 Seasons and Sims 4 Seasons does not shine a good light on Sims 4 especially at this time being Sims 3 is older and its features surpass Sims 4 and it makes Sims 4 Seasons look like it was designed on an tablet.

I agree with every word.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Awesome comparison pictures. It really show and I'm convinced it has to do with the game engine. The same reason there is no terrain editing.

Have you seen the fall leaves that look like flat texture paint. Not to mention I feel this season's has far less features than sims 3 seasons and nothing redeeming.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2018
    I think this definitely comes down to personal Opinion.

The Sims 3 snow's roof texture is hideous imo, looks like something you'd see in an early 2000's game.
    The Sims 4's also looks bad, but I do like that they made parts of the roof visible through the snow. It's not just a static texture.

The Sims 3's snow texture on the roof is literally terrible and is super Low Quality.

Neither games do it as well as they could, so it's not really a huge loss. If The Sims 3 actually looked good by comparison, I would be annoyed.

Also, The Sims 3's snow DOES NOT suit the semi-realistic graphic style of the world,
    while The Sims 4's suits the art style.

The Sims 2 probably did it best, and even then it looks pretty bad:

MTS2_monmel_891602_snapshot_36cb9cb5_56cba262.jpg

It's probably something that causes a lot of lag, so they are maybe extremely limited with it.
  • Options

Hope so. I want to find out what they're going to say. But I think I know what it is: "if we had added depth into the snow, we could not have done anything else."
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    There is already a thread going on about this topic. Click here.

Honestly I think it is funny - we have seen only a small part of "Seasons" and we don't know everything and yet there are a couple of discussion about things we don't know yet. So, why not wait until we have "Seasons"? Until then "destroyed snow" sounds a bit melodramatic to me... :)
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Looking at a few gifs of Sims 3 snow levels I'm kind of happy the snow is flat though I would prefer it being just a bit higher it would really annoy me seeing half a Sims lower leg covered in snow like in Sims 3. Now the Sims 3 style roof on the other hand looked great Sims 4 just looks like a white painted roof they should of done better those flat painted on the ground leaves are ball pit 2.0 unforgivable.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I still don't think if its true or not that the snow will be flat.
    1. We did have screenshots but none of them showed it during a heavy snowfall.(I know there is a teaser in Windenburg but still it isn't sure yet.)
    2. They still don't talk about seasons. All of the seasons in fact all of the information about each seasons are pretty vague and I doubt they are answering it until they are ready to talk about each season.
    3. Having a heavy snowfall but no snow depth? I don't think its something they want to do. But then again there are still a lot of things about each seasons that we still don't know. We just have to wait and see. This is just the announcement trailer by the way. Kinda like Clubs even the clubs in Get Together aren't shown on the trailer, there are some details about adding groups, etc. but none are so in depth until they are ready to talk about it. Let's hope that next week we can get new information.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited May 2018
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I still don't think if its true or not that the snow will be flat.
    1. We did have screenshots but none of them showed it during a heavy snowfall.(I know there is a teaser in Windenburg but still it isn't sure yet.)
    2. They still don't talk about seasons. All of the seasons in fact all of the information about each seasons are pretty vague and I doubt they are answering it until they are ready to talk about each season.
    3. Having a heavy snowfall but no snow depth? I don't think its something they want to do. But then again there are still a lot of things about each seasons that we still don't know. We just have to wait and see. This is just the announcement trailer by the way. Kinda like Clubs even the clubs in Get Together aren't shown on the trailer, there are some details about adding groups, etc. but none are so in depth until they are ready to talk about it. Let's hope that next week we can get new information.

Well hopefully, unlike the ball pit, if it is that shallow , like doing snow angles on a flat white ground (in the teaser) then maybe they might implement depth before release. But this is S4 and they know that people will just accept it and say flat white colored terrain is a leap forward and the best thing ever
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    It's very sad for me to be here talking about it, but after what I saw in yesterday's trailer, unfortunately I see myself with no choices.

The snow of The Sims 4 Seasons doesn't have depth level as in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. Yes, that's exactly it. Basically all they just did was change the texture of the floor to something with a whitish appearance and just that. It's like the "First Snow" mod in which the texture of the floor changes, and the only difference between the mod and what we see in The Sims 4 Seasons is that in the expansion pack the Sims have specific interactions for the snow in the winter period, and the texture of the snow disappears automatically when another season of the year arrives.

hs6fE5e.jpg

For me, personally, this is a very big disappointment. Winter was always one of my favorite seasons because of all the drastic visual change going on in the neighborhood, and the level of snow depth was one of the coolest features that was provided, especially in The Sims 3 where there were 3 different levels depths: low, medium and high.

What left me still more disappointed was the roof of the houses during the winter. It seems they threw a bucket of white paint on the roof and what we see in the pictures is the end result of the prank.

2wGcjAG.jpg

If I did not know this is from an expansion pack, I could say it was the work of some modder.

Meanwhile, in The Sims 3 we have depth levels of snow that even affect the roof. In addition, the texture is very beautiful

LDLhTFX.png
    giphy.gif

Even though the image of the gif is small, we can already see the grotesque difference between The Sims 4 and The Sims 3.

kKDf8nj.jpg

Now see these two pictures taken from The Sims 4 Seasons trailer. As you can see, in both images, the Sims' feet are on top of what the snow would be like. There is no level of depth at all.

I even considered the possibility that, in fact, they just did not show the levels of depth of the snow in the trailer, but not just in the trailer, but in the images that the producers have already made available, it's always the same thing.

giphy.gif

The interesting thing about The Sims 3 is that it is not possible to build snowmen when the level of snow depth is low at the level of the Sims feet. The game requires that the snow be at a higher depth level so that the Sims can make the snowmen.

I know some people may come up arguing that maybe this has been done in The Sims 4 Seasons so the game does not get so slow but well ... graphic options exist for that, right? What's more, there are people with powerful computers who quietly support many layers of snow.

Please, right, we're in 2018, The Sims 3 Seasons was released 6 years ago. Even The Sims 2 Seasons that was released 12 years ago have levels of depth in the snow.

What is happening? Is this one more of the limitations that are always present in the expansion packs of The Sims 4?

Unfortunately we are less than a month from the launch of The Sims 4 Seasons, so it is unlikely that any positive changes will be made in the same period.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one who noticed this problem with snow, and I've seen several people commenting on Twitter.

I always lose my cats in the snow in Sims 3, all you can see are their tails!

Sims 4 snow looks painted on.

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I'm feeling pretty neutral maybe even semi happy, but cautiously so about a TS4 EP for once instead of just vast disappointment but I seriously wonder after reading through a bunch of comments just why no one can be critical of this game? What is wrong with criticism? Criticism has lead to improvements so I think it's a good thing that people are bringing up their issues with the snow, literally one of the only issues, I've seen in relation to this pack. I would be inclined to agree that maybe this isn't how the snow will turn out because they're probably still working on it but the thing that makes me doubt that is that one sim was shoveling a small pile of snow on a ground with barely any accumulation of snow (even without terrain tools, I'd still expect more snow on the ground before breaking out the shovel), and some sims were building a snowmen in the same little snow accumulation. It's not impossible to make a snowman with just a little snow but it is impossible to make a snowman that big, speaking from personal experience.

The thing is, even with this little bit of criticism, EA set themselves up for this kind of scrutiny beginning with and even before the launch of The Sims 4. It's their own fault people have this kind of mistrust and skepticism. If people are used to being continuously disappointed, even with something they initially thought they would like or love then of course everyone in that category is going to look deeper and more critically into everything they do. They've been burned before. They want to be happy and excited like everyone else but the last time they got excited they probably got disappointed in the end. I should know, I'm one of them. EA and Maxis will have to work to earn the trust back. The switch isn't going to flip for everyone with just one EP.

Also, it was just with the last EP when everyone was a stickler for realism and now when people point out realism here in the instance of snow some people want to shoot them down. I don't understand it. First of all, no one's criticism should bring down another person's enjoyment or happiness with something. People dislike, are more critical of or even hate things I think are awesome but I don't let that stop me or put a damper on my enjoyment unless they're making a valid point. Even then sometimes it doesn't matter, I'm still going to like what I like.

Puppies, kittens, and small animals get lost in the snow. It happens. That's realistic. My youngest dog when he was a puppy could barely be seen in the snow or even the huge accumulation of leaves in our yard. We could literally only see his little tail sticking out. My older dog when it snowed so heavily one year it was over 17 inches had to step so high he lifted his front paws to his his head and the back ones up to his sides to walk. I laughed so hard when I saw him trying to do his buisness. We also lost objects in the yard after it snowed and unless I walked outside to go find them before the snow stuck and got higher they couldn't be found until the snow cleared. That's realistic. And snow would accumulate so much on people's roofs to the point it'd damage them there was so much snow. They even warned home owners on the news to be careful because some of them were trying to clear snow and ice from their roofs and falling off of them. We're in the southern part of the US so we don't often get snow or even winter here, but when we get it, we get it.

To the issue of lag due to heavy accumulation, I have never experienced that so I can't actually speak to that. My game, even when I played on a low end laptop never lagged in heavy snow or heavy rain. That's odd, but instead of limiting everyone because it lags for some people how about finding a way to make it work for all people? Why do we always let them get off with doing the least whether it's because when they did the most it affected our gameplay or because we think the least is better than not at all? Some of us act like it's impossible to have a well thought out, well functioning game that strives to be the absolute best. Some of us would also rather hold the game back than let it be great.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm feeling pretty neutral maybe even semi happy, but cautiously so about a TS4 EP for once instead of just vast disappointment but I seriously wonder after reading through a bunch of comments just why no one can be critical of this game?
    What is wrong with criticism? Criticism has lead to improvements so I think it's a good thing that people are bringing up their issues with the snow, literally one of the only issues, I've seen in relation to this pack. I would be inclined to agree that maybe this isn't how the snow will turn out because they're probably still working on it but the thing that makes me doubt that is that one sim was shoveling a small pile of snow on a ground with barely any accumulation of snow (even without terrain tools, I'd still expect more snow on the ground before breaking out the shovel), and some sims were building a snowmen in the same little snow accumulation. It's not impossible to make a snowman with just a little snow but it is impossible to make a snowman that big, speaking from personal experience.

The thing is, even with this little bit of criticism, EA set themselves up for this kind of scrutiny beginning with and even before the launch of The Sims 4. It's their own fault people have this kind of mistrust and skepticism. If people are used to being continuously disappointed, even with something they initially thought they would like or love then of course everyone in that category is going to look deeper and more critically into everything they do. They've been burned before. They want to be happy and excited like everyone else but the last time they got excited they probably got disappointed in the end. I should know, I'm one of them. EA and Maxis will have to work to earn the trust back. The switch isn't going to flip for everyone with just one EP.

Also, it was just with the last EP when everyone was a stickler for realism and now when people point out realism here in the instance of snow some people want to shoot them down. I don't understand it. First of all, no one's criticism should bring down another person's enjoyment or happiness with something. People dislike, are more critical of or even hate things I think are awesome but I don't let that stop me or put a damper on my enjoyment unless they're making a valid point. Even then sometimes it doesn't matter, I'm still going to like what I like.

Puppies, kittens, and small animals get lost in the snow. It happens. That's realistic. My youngest dog when he was a puppy could barely be seen in the snow or even the huge accumulation of leaves in our yard. We could literally only see his little tail sticking out. My older dog when it snowed so heavily one year it was over 17 inches had to step so high he lifted his front paws to his his head and the back ones up to his sides to walk. I laughed so hard when I saw him trying to do his buisness. We also lost objects in the yard after it snowed and unless I walked outside to go find them before the snow stuck and got higher they couldn't be found until the snow cleared. That's realistic. And snow would accumulate so much on people's roofs to the point it'd damage them there was so much snow. They even warned home owners on the news to be careful because some of them were trying to clear snow and ice from their roofs and falling off of them. We're in the southern part of the US so we don't often get snow or even winter here, but when we get it, we get it.

To the issue of lag due to heavy accumulation, I have never experienced that so I can't actually speak to that. My game, even when I played on a low end laptop never lagged in heavy snow or heavy rain. That's odd, but instead of limiting everyone because it lags for some people how about finding a way to make it work for all people? Why do we always let them get off with doing the least whether it's because when they did the most it affected our gameplay or because we think the least is better than not at all?
    Some of us act like it's impossible to have a well thought out, well functioning game that strives to be the absolute best. Some of us would also rather hold the game back than let it be great.

Yesterday (because I was still so hyped from the announcement) I could not stand any of the simmers' criticisms, simply because this is something we've all been waiting for since the game's launch, if this can't make people happy, then what can?

Now, however, I've realised that we've been waiting for this since the game launched, so of course we will criticise the game when there's something wrong, because we want this pack to be perfect! Even The Sims 2 could handle thick layers of snow - why should we be happy with retextured grass? I don't think this is an excuse to bash the producers, however we should instead be pushing them to do this pack justice!

I'm reluctant to think that we will get the snow we expect when the game launches, however I'm just praying that with the amount of controversy this has caused, the producers are working hard to correct this, and release the snow mechanism that we expect within a future update (hopefully not too longer after the expansion pack releases).
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm sorry, but I gotta say it. I can't resist. I'm probably gonna be neutral on this until Seasons comes out and we can get a better look at it, but I can't help but wonder if TS4 snow is gonna be the next ball pit.
  • Options
    pupunikpupunik Posts: 62 Member
    they do not need to make several layers of snow like in the sims 3, only one layer is already enough (of course more layers are cooler). But would it weigh that much for a reasonable layer of snow? Is it that it is so laborious (something that they already know) to put in the game? Why this bad habit of the producers in doing everything in half?

I'm really sad about all this ...
    :'(
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I have to wonder if the amount of snow is related to the specific map and the climate that is set for it. The devs have mentioned the word "climate" now a few times, and I feel like there have been hints that every map will have a slightly different weather result. I mean, Oasis Springs is a desert area and not likely to see much snow at all, just maybe some rain instead. They could still have a winter season, but it might actually be more realistic, like in places like Southern California, their winter doesn't get cold enough to snow. So if the trailer was made using only the base game maps, and the winter scenes were recorded in Willow Creek, which was inspired by New Orleans, it might not get much snow to begin with. But places like Windenburg or Brindleton Bay might be programmed to get full on blizzards sometimes (blizzards have also been mentioned) and so the snow level very well may look completely different during those storms. Even Newcrest might have harsher winters.

If this is indeed how they designed Seasons to be, to follow unique climates in each map, then I would say it might be the most immersive Seasons expansion yet. But if the snow is indeed just made to look like terrain paint, then I agree it would be a big disappointment. But I think it's wise to stay tuned for more information before jumping to conclusions just yet.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I have to wonder if the amount of snow is related to the specific map and the climate that is set for it. The devs have mentioned the word "climate" now a few times, and I feel like there have been hints that every map will have a slightly different weather result. I mean, Oasis Springs is a desert area and not likely to see much snow at all, just maybe some rain instead. They could still have a winter season, but it might actually be more realistic, like in places like Southern California, their winter doesn't get cold enough to snow. So if the trailer was made using only the base game maps, and the winter scenes were recorded in Willow Creek, which was inspired by New Orleans, it might not get much snow to begin with. But places like Windenburg or Brindleton Bay might be programmed to get full on blizzards sometimes (blizzards have also been mentioned) and so the snow level very well may look completely different during those storms. Even Newcrest might have harsher winters.

If this is indeed how they designed Seasons to be, to follow unique climates in each map, then I would say it might be the most immersive Seasons expansion yet. But if the snow is indeed just made to look like terrain paint, then I agree it would be a big disappointment. But I think it's wise to stay tuned for more information before jumping to conclusions just yet.

This would be horrible, because it would mean that if you want to actually experience deep snow, you need to buy Get Together, or Cats and Dogs just for their worlds - thus resulting in the same problem My First Pet Stuff fell into, relying on other packs to complete this pack!

I wouldn't mind this idea, however if they're going to introduce thick snow, it absolutely must be available in at least 1 base game world (with Willow Creek being the obvious choice).
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

This would be horrible, because it would mean that if you want to actually experience deep snow, you need to buy Get Together, or Cats and Dogs just for their worlds - thus resulting in the same problem My First Pet Stuff fell into, relying on other packs to complete this pack!

I wouldn't mind this idea, however if they're going to introduce thick snow, it absolutely must be available in at least 1 base game world (with Willow Creek being the obvious choice).

That's why I mentioned Newcrest. But I can see them not using Newcrest for the trailer because they'd have to put a bunch of builds on the lots first to complete it. So I think they chose to make it snow in Willow Creek for the same reason you mentioned; because if Oasis Springs is already a desert and intended as a warmer climate, they wouldn't want Willow Creek to be too similar. So it's also possible we just haven't seen the effects of a full-on blizzard there, only a light winter. All of this is just my own theory, of course, I'm just going by the info that we have to work with.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Think I'm part of the majority that likes it flat. Except, I'd like to see it a little more accumulated on the roofs.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2018

hs6fE5e.jpg

2wGcjAG.jpg

LDLhTFX.png
    giphy.gif

kKDf8nj.jpg

giphy.gif

I always lose my cats in the snow in Sims 3, all you can see are their tails!

Sims 4 snow looks painted on.

I am lmao and thinking about those cat tails in the snow. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Back in the sims 2 days there was a graphics setting to enable heavy snow fall or not if your graphics card couldn’t handle it. I think that should have been applied here.

If there is no snow accumulation and it’s just the thin white layer, that looks a little disappointing. It will be the first for the series. Even the sims 2 has two layers of snow accumulation- light and heavy. If the sims 4 just has the one.... thats not good.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    No offence to anyone but how can you tell from a 10 second clip of the trailer that the snow will be flat? I mean I would understand that you would be mad if you saw a livestream of the game and the snow was flat and not what you were wanting . But a trailer and screenshots aren't doing it justice right now and you are mad over the fact you are basing all your facts on screenshots and a trailer.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top