Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
I'm very glad that Seasons is coming, since it is one of the most requested packs, however there is (like always) something obviously lacking about an EP, so here's the thing with Seasons, which someone pointed out:

The EP looks good, but the details such as this are just the downfall of Sims 4 packs.

Shoes don't sink in the snow, since it seems like the only thing snow really does is turning the floor white and nothing else. Same with roofs, why is the snow so flat?.

Little disappointed with that, since Winter is my favorite Season in the game..

Also: Since we had the amazing melting of snow in Sims 3, you know, the gradual thing; will it be like this in the SIms 4 too, or will it just be some on/off switch?..

*Update*

Looks like the Windows CAN become blurry. Still waiting for the snow thing though..

{EA_Lanna: Merged discussions. Adapted title to be encompassing to discussion points}
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• Options
    It would have been nice to have accumulated snow as a ultra settings thing, for those of us who have computers who can handle it and then no accumulation on medium-low settings.

However, that is the only flaw of the pack that I can see so far :)

Yes, the rest of the pack looks good, but I think it's very disappointing and I hope they will elaborate on that subject when they have the time.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Honestly, I’m happy for this reason:

Realism vs Gameplay

Basically, while it’s realistic for Snow to be thick, it meant it was harder to actually play the game because you would lose objects in the snow.
    It also drained FPS heavily in both The Sims 2 and 3, when all it added was some minor realism with no real advantage.

What are the pros? More realistic snow.
    What are the cons? Potential lag, annoyances and reduced user experience.

Nope, scrap it.

I will however be concerned if it’s on-screen effects rather than actual rain and snow. A rain or snow filter doesn’t fly with me in 2018, and is painfully obvious.
  • Options
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    It would have been nice to have accumulated snow as a ultra settings thing, for those of us who have computers who can handle it and then no accumulation on medium-low settings.

However, that is the only flaw of the pack that I can see so far :)

Yes, the rest of the pack looks good, but I think it's very disappointing and I hope they will elaborate on that subject when they have the time.
    If that is true, that there is no accumulation, then that is a major flaw. I loved how the snow would build up into drifts in sims 2 and 3.
    Are we sure about this? Maybe there are effects that are not included in the trailer. We need to get it verified by a dev or guru.

Yes, same here. I loved that aspect. But from the trailer it really seems like snow is only a retexture of the grass and roofs, it looks like it has no depth to it at all. I find that really strange and if it is like that, a massive oversight.

The fact we are getting this EP next month is all fun and games, but if they needed more time to make that better, just go ahead. Especially for people playing on higher end systems...

I hope a guru can clarify.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Honestly, I’m happy for this reason:

Realism vs Gameplay

Basically, while it’s realistic for Snow to be thick, it meant it was harder to actually play the game because you would lose objects in the snow.
    It also drained FPS heavily in both The Sims 2 and 3, when all it added was some minor realism with no real advantage.

What are the pros? More realistic snow.
    What are the cons? Potential lag, annoyances and reduced user experience.

Nope, scrap it.

I will however be concerned if it’s on-screen effects rather than actual rain and snow. A rain or snow filter doesn’t fly with me in 2018, and is painfully obvious.

I get what you are saying about potential lag, I do, but there are also many people playing the Sims on a high end gaming rig, and personally I had enough of the ''performance'' excuses for lower end systems. Instead of upping the quality for higher end systems by even a setting or what not, gives people with decent systems more to play with and people with older systems can just experience the same but with slight differences.

also I am hoping there are also various intensities of rain and snow. I loved Seasons in Sims 3, I mean, the weather effects in Sims 3 were so good. I just hope they have the same weather system where it's slowly clearing up and the rain/snow slowly/gradually stops etc.

I know this is just a trailer and there are probably more things to talk about on this subject, but ugh. I just want to know what we're in for.
  • Options
    KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    So then I wonder how shoveling snow will work?
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    KJB wrote: »
    So then I wonder how shoveling snow will work?

From the video, it looks like it just accumulates in the shovel and one little pile where the sim is shoveling.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Dang.

I really liked that realistic aspect in Sims 3. I liked how snow could be light, normal, or heavy. I always had my settings to where it was just random. And boy, I loved when my kids had snow days whenever it snowed heavily--I wonder if that'll return?

I also hope we can control what seasons we want and the duration like we can in Sims 3 (i.e. 1-28 days sliders). I always chose the longest option for each season for realism's sake. Lastly, I'll be slightly let down if anniversaries don't make a comeback with this EP.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    I knew there was a catch to this EP. It’s always give and take with Sims 4 :(

Pretty much, yes. :/
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Well plum. Snow accumulation was in The Sims 2 Seasons which released in 2007.

Another reason to stick with TS3.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The only thing that we need is the official confirmation, we don't really know if they are hiding something or what, or if they had surprise at EA Play about this expansion only time will tell.
  • Options
    peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    That's a minor detail, I'm sure the overall content will make up for it.
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    I don't like the idea that the windows do not turn foggy when snow, it should be. shoe don't sink in the snow? Fine, but do we get shoe print on snow? I'm going to be very disappointed if it doesn't, what the whole point of the snowing effect then.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    Sonia016 wrote: »
    I don't like the idea that the windows do not turn foggy when snow, it should be. shoe don't sink in the snow? Fine, but do we get shoe print on snow? I'm going to be very disappointed if it doesn't, what the whole point of the snowing effect then.

My windows never turn foggy when it snows. And I agree that you should at least see some effect from walking in the snow. But maybe they are still working on it and the final product will be a bit different when it comes out?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    If there is no accumulation of snow it does show limitations of the engine capabilities and I can live with that limitation being there is nothing that can be done at this time. However, I will wait for more info on this pack and it's shortcomings. The limitation I cannot live with is the shortcomings in CL. However the adage here is "You reap what you sow."
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I knew there was a catch to this EP. It’s always give and take with Sims 4 :(

It all ties into the engine that EA/Maxis used for this game and it will dictate how much effects EA/Maxis can program into this pack and future packs. I am not jumping for joy about the pack but I will use it being I am tired of endless summer.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top