Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Latest TS2 update at Origin has borked my game.

hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
I had a problem with TS2Bodyshop crashing so went to Origin to see about repair. Saw the option for an update and clicked it. Once installed I tried Bodyshop and it worked but showed no custom content. Odd. Fired up the game. It loaded but with a smaller screen than usual. Once in I found none of my saved games. Everything was brand new. Ouch.

After talking with Origin without much help, I tried an experiment of creating a new hood, placing lots and installing a family. Checked the save folders and found a new one.

Back when I downloaded UC I did something to remove the TM from the save folder title. It's worked perfectly for 3 years. The new folder I found has the TM in it. I checked RegEdit and could find no listing with the TM.

Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm sorry this happened. I can't help with removing Origin from your TS2 game. I don't have Origin installed anymore. For future referrence the updates for TS2 in Origin are not meant to 'repair' the game. They are there to update TS2 to call home to Origin for ad's sake. Origin workers would have no idea how to 'fix' bodyshop. If bodyshop crashes it is usually misplaced data so deleting the cigen.package, accessory cache files usually fixes all that. I hope you get your saves back, that stuff happened to me in TS4 and why I no longer bother with Origin.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You mean this?

you need to open regedit (Window+R) and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE

For 32 - Bit : Find EA GAMES folder and open the sims 2... change the Display Name... Delete the ™ out... and the problem is solved...

For 64- Bit : Open Wow6432Node then.. Find EA GAMES folder and open the sims 2... change the Display Name... Delete the ™ out... and the problem is solved...

Before it's should look like this : The Sims 2™ Ultimate Collection

After : The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

There is a good chance that update reverted the game back to new files, I believe a update earlier did the same thing. I don't play with Origin either (I never let the game update and no longer have Origin installed) so I don't know much about the update sorry.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @JULES1111, I knew you would have the answer. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited May 2018
    -deleted-
    Post edited by BMSO on
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2018
    It doesn't for everyone. I have no problem with the tm in my game files.

*Plus- don't update until you back up your save game files.
    Expect updates to edit your game files to their original setup.
  • hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    @JULES1111 - Yes, I opened RegEdit yesterday and could find no folders with the TM still in the title. But I have one in my EAGames save folder. Oh, wait! I just opened RegEdit again. I didn't look far enough! Yesterday I just saw two folders in EA GAMES: The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Fun with Pets. I guess I didn't look inside those folders to find display name. Today I did.
    Okay, TM is deleted. AND, my original neighborhoods are now available again. Plus the new one I started yesterday. I just transferred the new hood folder to the old Neighborhoods folder. I don't play with Origin on, but I keep it because there are still a few TS3 expansion packs I want to get from them. And maybe TS4 sometime. But TS2 is my favorite to play.

@BMSO - The trademark did not really affect the game itself. I originally got rid of it because Simpe or some of the other TS2 utilities I use could not access the save files.

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Wait... you had old folder files and new folders? It made a new save folder with the tm and that's what it used to run the game? Did you try moving your old files to the new?

I guess I'm just very confused. :blush:
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    OK, now I'm confused too. I've never had this issue with SimPE not working because of TM and also messing up body shop. Why not just take the old files and move them into new? If that doesn't work make a back up of your save and whatever mods your using and just reinstall?
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @JULES1111, I knew you would have the answer. :)

:D Contrary to popular belief I don't know everything! :joy: That I have looked up before for someone.

hedgekat1 wrote: »
    @JULES1111 - Yes, I opened RegEdit yesterday and could find no folders with the TM still in the title. But I have one in my EAGames save folder. Oh, wait! I just opened RegEdit again. I didn't look far enough! Yesterday I just saw two folders in EA GAMES: The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Fun with Pets. I guess I didn't look inside those folders to find display name. Today I did.
    Okay, TM is deleted. AND, my original neighborhoods are now available again. Plus the new one I started yesterday. I just transferred the new hood folder to the old Neighborhoods folder. I don't play with Origin on, but I keep it because there are still a few TS3 expansion packs I want to get from them. And maybe TS4 sometime. But TS2 is my favorite to play.

@BMSO - The trademark did not really affect the game itself. I originally got rid of it because Simpe or some of the other TS2 utilities I use could not access the save files.

Glad you got your neighborhoods back! Ya I have 3 all on disk, and have zero interest in 4, so no need for Origin for me. Yes some old utilities will have a issue with the TM in there.
  • hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    @Rflong7 - Yes, I have several old save games in the EA Games folder. I use one just for testing new mods. Another is medieval and has only medieval CC. The one I am currently playing is Victorian. Another is modern. The folder with the TM was actually generated by Clean Installer, I think, when I downloaded some houses. That has been several months ago so I may not remember it correctly. Anyway, I have used that folder to receive downloads that needed to go into the teleport folder, then I manually transferred them to the folder without the TM. When the updated game loaded it could only find the folder with the TM so put all its subfolders and saves into it. I considered moving the old folders into the new one but then whenever I wanted to use the utility that can't access the TM I would have had to move things back.

@BMSO - I can't swear that Simpe was messed up. I installed UC 3 years ago, so my memories of that time are not very fresh. I do know I had to reroute a pathway for Simpe for something. And the TM didn't have anything to do with Bodyshop. I was wanting to make some CC and Bodyshop would only crash, because I forgot about deleting the Cache files. Updating UC fixed Bodyshop because there were no cache files in the new folder. As for reinstalling from Origin, never again. The download time for that whole game was 24 hours with DSL. And it did not install properly so I had to redownload. Another 24 hours.

Thanks all of you for your comments.