Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims Dying? I Don't Believe So...

mpgore2004mpgore2004 Posts: 92 Member
Hey Simmers.

So you might be asking yourselves, "Where are the updates?", "Why no announcements?" or "Why the heck has it been so quiet?".

Well, I cannot answer that question definitively, but I can speculate.

There are some Sims communities where members believe that EA might be pulling the plug on The Sims. There have been no updates for what seems like ages and hardly any activity from The Sims Studio on the official website.

There are two possible explanations for this:

1) The Sims has been let go by EA and they are just mederating the forums until it dies out.
2) They are planning a big reveal sometime soon.

Now, its no secret that EA has been doing a little house cleaning and shuffling around, and The Sims Studio doesn't have that large a team; well not for expansions anyway. It is probably true that they have allocated a lot of resources to launching The Sims Mobile, but it also safe to assume that The Sims Studio is also working on a major expansion pack (Seasons perhaps?) or that they are actually close to revealing The Sims 5. Now that might make a lot of sense since E3 is just around the corner.

I do not believe that EA would turn their back on a franchise which makes them a lot of money.

[removed personal information and advertisement as per forum rules - EA_Leeloo]
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    Grant is pretty active on twit, and we have a new community manager so communication may be a bit better now

Seasons still has to be released at some point, they wouldn't have put all those obvious hints in Cats and Dogs if that wasn't happening.
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    edited May 2018
    I don’t think they are pulling the plug on the franchise. Haven’t the SimGurus been saying there’s more to look forward to this year? I hope the rumours about Seasons are true.

I don’t follow SimGuruGrant on Twitter but I’m glad that teens won that poll. I hope they do improve teens. They just seem too similar to YAs.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    The devs have explicitly stated that The Sims 4 is continuing to receive support and development.
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    edited May 2018
    Good. I hope they purge the sims 4 and have another team working on a Sims 5 series. They really really need to take their time with this one though and not half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 anything like they did with ts4.
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    If they're putting the focus on a mobile product line and Sims packs still sell well, I see no reason for them to pull the plug on the series.

I do occasionally get the feeling that corporate is trying to minimize sims expenses, when one of the things that made the earlier versions more fun was the way that new packs felt like they were playing with whatever ideas came to mind. But making mistakes with a gameline is not the same thing as pulling the plug on it.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Do we really need another thread like this? There have been umpteen already over in Speculation and Rumour. And Devs have already stepped in to say TS4 is not stopping anytime soon.

Yea we do, because nothing is going on and people are getting bored and restless. I mean, at least the forums are alive-and if it is the same repeat thread, then the company comes to know that there is an issue.
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    Do we really need another thread like this? There have been umpteen already over in Speculation and Rumour. And Devs have already stepped in to say TS4 is not stopping anytime soon.

Yea we do, because nothing is going on and people are getting bored and restless. I mean, at least the forums are alive-and if it is the same repeat thread, then the company comes to know that there is an issue.

Nah we don't. It's been rehashed a million times over, devs have answered, job done. If people are bored then they need a find a better outlet imo, nothing more can be done right now. Patch is later than usual by 3 days, patience is a virtue.. But if you feel like you must shed more light on this then there about 4 of this thread active over on ideas/speculation or feedback categories, no need to keep beating a dead horse.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I don't understand why people are getting so up-in-arms about the lack of announcements. It's pretty typical for things to be quiet as far as announcements in gaming in the month or two leading up to E3, or in this case, EA Play. The simple answer is that they're just waiting and/or getting ready for whatever they're going to present about Sims 4 at EA Play.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Sims franchise will still be alive. :)

+ An update will come this month
    + Announcement will be at EA Play
    + We got a new community manager this week
    + Cats & Dogs and Parenthood will be released for console
    + Grant was looking for feedback
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Eventually, Sims 4 will end at some point or ever and the reason some are skeptical over Sims 4 ending is some remembered what EA/Maxis was saying about Sim City 2013 and they were purported to say the same thing and the next thing Sims City 2013 had ceased production. In time we will find out and some may disappointed and some may not. Sims series make them a lot of money but it may not be the cash cow it once was for times change and so does people interests. I think Sims series is safe for now and if Sims 5 does come out I hope they use the technology that is available now and not cater to one level of computer users which hurts every other level of computers.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I'm do tired of this. TS4 is not ending. They've made that clear several times. If you're waiting for them to say it's over, you're in for a rude awakening. I don't get why people speculate over this.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    This happened when TS3 was the big thing. A lull in the process and people were saying 'The Sims is dying!' Regardless of how I feel about TS4 I do not think the franchise is coming to an end. As long as there are enough buyers the sellers aren't going anywhere.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I'm do tired of this. TS4 is not ending. They've made that clear several times. If you're waiting for them to say it's over, you're in for a rude awakening. I don't get why people speculate over this.

To be fair though, a lot of the recent communication and comments on the Sims 4 stocking around have been on Twitter, and not everyone has Twitter. It probably still seems pretty quiet to the simmers who don’t use Twitter or follow simguruGrant.

I’m bored too, but recent information shows that Sims 4 will be around for a while yet, and that the remainder of its development is NOT set in stone. They’re asking what people want, things that would take time to develop, some things which may not even have been started yet. There are a lot of signs that Sims 4 PC will be around for some time to come.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I think it might be best to wait and see what is said at the EA Play event in June. Graham Nardone did say in his post that TS4 will be represented. Even as someone who doesn't particularly like TS4 that strikes me as a positive, certainly not the sort of thing a company wishing to get rid of a product would do. Personally I would love an announcement about TS5 at EA Play but can't see that happening in the short to medium term.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    In the short term, no, Sims is not dying. But long term? Who knows. There's no evidence so far that they will even make a Sims 5 for pc. If that's the case, and they will make mobile games only after Sims 4, then yes the Sims as we know it is slowly dying. In short, we don't know what the heck EA is planning, which makes simmers restless and worried. All we know is that they haven't started planning for Sims 5 yet, and that would be expected if they indeed was planning to get to it at some point. But we won't know for sure until they actually tell us what the plans are. Hence the continued rehashing of the same worries.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    We've had several months when content didn't release before, this dry spell is nothing new. It has been confirmed that we'll hear something new next month and so far the evidence points to The Sims 4 only increasing in profit. Plus I highly doubt EA is going to risk another big fiasco by cancelling sn incomplete iteration, they got much heated response for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Star Wars Battlefront II, imagine the uproar if they decided to cancel The Sims 4 for The Sims 5.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    We've had several months when content didn't release before, this dry spell is nothing new. It has been confirmed that we'll hear something new next month and so far the evidence points to The Sims 4 only increasing in profit. Plus I highly doubt EA is going to risk another big fiasco by cancelling sn incomplete iteration, they got much heated response for Mass Effect: Andromeda and Star Wars Battlefront II, imagine the uproar if they decided to cancel The Sims 4 for The Sims 5.
    You've misunderstood what the worry comes from - people don't believe EA will release sims 5 content over sims 4 content - rather the fear is that Sims 5 will actually not come at all, and sims will only be mobile after sims 4 is done. There's also some concern, that since EA's focus seems to be more and more on mobile, that Sims 4 will get an even smaller budget, and that the content released for sims 4 will be less, released alot more far apart, and might be lacking in quality.
    If EA decides to cancel Sims as we know it is definitely a possibility, considering their previous track record with franchises that they manage to pull the rug from under. It's possible they haven't decided what to do with Sims as a whole. We don't know for sure what is going to happen with anything at this point. But since there is no clear answer, the future of the sims franchise for pc is unknown. Time will tell.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited May 2018
    alexandrea wrote: »

Because quite a few people would like The Sims 4 to be over.
  • Options
    He doesn't actually say anything that answers the actual questions people have. It's basically a non-answer meant to placate simmers. I understand why they do it, and he's trying for sure, but it's still not an answer. We already knew Sims 4 will go on for a while. That was never the question IMO.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited May 2018
    mpgore2004 wrote: »
    Hey Simmers.

So you might be asking yourselves, "Where are the updates?", "Why no announcements?" or "Why the heck has it been so quiet?".

There are some Sims communities where members believe that EA might be pulling the plug on The Sims. There have been no updates for what seems like ages and hardly any activity from The Sims Studio on the official website.

1) The Sims has been let go by EA and they are just mederating the forums until it dies out.

Now, its no secret that EA has been doing a little house cleaning and shuffling around, and The Sims Studio doesn't have that large a team; well not for expansions anyway. It is probably true that they have allocated a lot of resources to launching The Sims Mobile, but it also safe to assume that The Sims Studio is also working on a major expansion pack (Seasons perhaps?) or that they are actually close to revealing The Sims 5. Now that might make a lot of sense since E3 is just around the corner.

I do not believe that EA would turn their back on a franchise which makes them a lot of money.

...The devs have stated multiple times now that the Sims 4 on PC is not ending anytime soon. The second option is not only the far more likely option, it's pretty much the only option there is.

It hasn't even been quiet. Grant's been quite forthcoming recently and another Guru started a thread over a week back talking about what's been going on. I concur with the others, this thread is pointless.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well I don't do twitter either... I don't have an account. I do look though and it's been very active in the last week right around the time the new CM was announced it started. I've noticed the doom and gloom threads have stalled some (although I'm sure they'll be back). It's all pretty interesting to watch though either way.
    The Sims 4 isn't over. There is a game run to finish with a lot left to do and money to make. I'm not worried although it was pretty nice to see them start to engage again even if it was just on twitter. I don't blame them for not being super engaged here although things have been changing so who knows?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited May 2018
    mpgore2004 wrote: »
    Hey Simmers.

Sims 4 is actually heating up. We just got a new community manager and Grant is communicating with us every day. SimGuruKate says this is going to be a good year for the Sims 4. TS4 isn't going anywhere. This game isn't getting cancelled.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    The Sims is not dying. Just because they have been frequenting more on twitter does not mean it's dying I think they are just branching out to more simmers than just ones on the forums. I use twitter and I do like how they are using other social networks to branch out to their consumers and players.
    As much activity as I have seen the answer is no, it's not dying.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top