Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you satisfied with death in this game?

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I actually like that sims are crying all over the place and that there is a different moodlet when they directly witness a death (but one of my sims still got this moodlet while she was sleeping, so it's not always working). What I do not like is how strangers get the "death of a loved one" moodlet when they never even talked to each other while sims never react when friends/family die in a different lot, and I don't even notice until I see their greyed out portrait in a random notification somehow or in the relationship panel. It's like they don't care if something happen outside of the lot and it's bothering me.

The death of a loved one moodlet can bug me too. I also play deviantly and when my murdering sim barely has a friendship with their victim (not an in game mechanic) they are also sad for days after the death.. this kind of bugs me but I work it into the story as more of a let down time. Or make them enemies but that doesn't always fit the story since they are often sneaky about what they plan to do. I do like that the enemies can laugh at the grave.

Wouldn't it be great for evil sims not to automatically get sad moodlets when death happens? They should be overjoyed bad things are happening. It would be a great example to show that traits actually do matter and that emotions do NOT override them as they should.

Yes and no. I mean I think "evil" people still build relationships and fall in love and they can still be sad over things even mean people do. I have relatives that are mean so I know lol. I just think it's kind of weird to have a barely there relationship and they get just as sad over that as they do over .. a spouse or a very high relationship friend. I think I just have to mod in sociopaths I think. Pretty sure EA is never going to provide that. I'd love it if any sims with those bad traits could "pretend to mourn" though that would make my day to see.
    egTcBMc.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited May 2018
    No
    I liked the idea of emotional extremes causing death a lot, but in the years since I bought the game I’ve never seen one - and that’s not for lack of trying either.

Nothing is really all too deadly in the game. Sims will extinguish themselves if they catch on fire, I’ve never had a sim electrocuted (even with lvl 0/1 handiness skill on the cheapest objects with puddles under them). Starvation takes absolutely forever, and drowning likewise takes forever while you wait for your sim to either pass out or starve. I feel they make it way too obvious that your sim will die, and basically give you as much time as possible to prevent it from happening. Which translates to an excruciatingly long time.

The most spontaneous aspect of death in Sims 4 is figuring out how many days an elder will live after their age bar is full. I played with aging off entirely for the first few years (which eliminates this) and it really shows how hard the developers made it to kill Sims, or have Sims die in general.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    No
    I'm fine with how hard it is to kill sims. Though I wouldn't mind a little more danger and various ways of killing sims for story purposes, I guess they don't want to upset some people, so they're giving us a chance to react if something happens.

Mourning, however, is absolutely not ok. My sim whose father died while he was off to school should not act like nothing happened. Right now, the only way to do that is to have them cry next to the urn, but if I don't want an urn in the house or if I don't want to have them interact with it every few hours, it's as if nothing happened. Meanwhile, if a sim witnesses the death of a complete stranger, I can understand them rushing to the other end of the community area to witness it and being upset for a while, but they should not mourn for days if they didn't know the person. (It's been a while since that last happened to me. Not sure if it still happens. But it just doesn't make sense.) Neither should complete strangers suddenly drop everything they're doing, go to an urn and cry, making them upset for hours. Funerals could be interesting to have (and graveyards) and there I'd be fine with everyone attending being sad at least for the duration of the event, but don't make my sims mourn complete strangers.

@EmmaVane I like your ideas, although relief in the case of ennemies, while interesting, might be pushing it a little too far for some people? Otherwise yes, different degrees and periods of sadness based on the relationship would be great.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    No
    It's near impossible to kill them, if they don't see it, they don't react, even if they do see it and react it isn't for very long and to top it all off they can be easily distracted out of it.

If that wasn't bad enough, due to the lack of personality killing them is akin to losing a unit in an RTS game... There's no impact.

As has been said before, it's nothing more than an inconvenience.
    raw
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    No
    @EmmaVane I like your ideas, although relief in the case of ennemies, while interesting, might be pushing it a little too far for some people? Otherwise yes, different degrees and periods of sadness based on the relationship would be great.

But it's knda in the game already. When the Sim's declared enemy dies, your Sim will get a happy moodlet. However, I believe it happens only for that one specific type of relationship.

I usually play with aging turned off, and I haven't experienced much of the death in my game yet, but from what I've seen (both during playing and some other's videos), I agree the death can and should be improved. The thing that is surely weird for me is that they can totally miss the death of their beloved, but somehow they will find any random grave/urn on the lot, and mourn Sims they barely knew or didn't know at all.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2018
    No

But it's knda in the game already. When the Sim's declared enemy dies, your Sim will get a happy moodlet. However, I believe it happens only for that one specific type of relationship.

I usually play with aging turned off, and I haven't experienced much of the death in my game yet, but from what I've seen (both during playing and some other's videos), I agree the death can and should be improved. The thing that is surely weird for me is that they can totally miss the death of their beloved, but somehow they will find any random grave/urn on the lot, and mourn Sims they barely knew or didn't know at all.

They can laugh on/at their grave too.
  • ZhyperSimsZhyperSims Posts: 4 New Member
    No
    No, death is really poorly developed on TS4. Some months ago, my sims old sister died on the backyard when the little sis was painting inside, she didn't even worried to check that.
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    No
    There is so much more that could be done like, letting family and friends know that a person has died for starters! It is really annoying when you are running a business and the next day one of your workers are missing because they DIED! It would be nice to know that.
    I miss the hula girls that would greet the dead sim if they lived a good life and their mood bar thing was platinum. It is the silly things I miss and it would be nice to have a graveyard and maybe hold a funeral for the sim.
  • MichelleeMichellee Posts: 35 Member
    No
    As everyone else said, it sucks that they only have to witness a death in order to get a moodlet. There should also be a funeral event where you can invite family and friends of the person who died. (They'll probably have to raise the limit of sims that can be invited). I usually play with aging turned off, so I haven't witness much death.
  • DevinaleDevinale Posts: 209 Member
    No
    I don't like the grim reaper or how long it takes to die. I feel like with ts4 they listened to the complaints on ts3, but it seems like they listned to the few. you know like, not liking open worlds, saying sims die too easily and so on. Maybe that's why we didn't have toddlers? maybe someone complained about that too? IDK. But with ts4 I definitely feel like the soul of the sims is missing. Can't connect to the humor or anything, sims don't seem to care at all about eachother, the traits don't work, the mood definitely doesn't work. I feel like there is alot missing from ts4
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No
    What death? The only death I saw in the three years I played this game was an elderly townie past at one of my Sim's routine investigations. That was funny, he fell over dead. But my Sim just stood there and smiled a big fat grin. My Sherlock who I wasn't playing at the time was on the investigation site and was quite taken aback by someone dying while cops were investigating, but my cop couldn't have cared less. Grinning ear to ear....these freaks disturb me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »
    What death? The only death I saw in the three years I played this game was an elderly townie past at one of my Sim's routine investigations. That was funny, he fell over dead. But my Sim just stood there and smiled a big fat grin. My Sherlock who I wasn't playing at the time was on the investigation site and was quite taken aback by someone dying while cops were investigating, but my cop couldn't have cared less. Grinning ear to ear....these freaks disturb me.

If you play legacy-style with aging on, you'll see plenty of deaths. You must have a different play style, I guess.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    No
    @MissNightOwl Oh, well that's cool. My sims almost never really make ennemies, much less witness those enemies die, so I'd never seen that. Still, yep, everything else about mourning is just weird.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    edited May 2018
    No
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Yes and no. I mean I think "evil" people still build relationships and fall in love and they can still be sad over things even mean people do. I have relatives that are mean so I know lol. I just think it's kind of weird to have a barely there relationship and they get just as sad over that as they do over .. a spouse or a very high relationship friend. I think I just have to mod in sociopaths I think. Pretty sure EA is never going to provide that. I'd love it if any sims with those bad traits could "pretend to mourn" though that would make my day to see.
    Sure it wouldn't be impossible, I'm fine with traits that can slightly mitigate the effects of an "evil" trait but it should be more challenging to build long and lasting relationships with other sims, it shouldn't be as easy as for nicer sims, imo. Traits should be there to help differentiates sims and how they interact with others and their environment otherwise what's the point to give us traits if they all have the same interactions and reactions?
  • GracelishGracelish Posts: 114 Member
    No
    It is frustrating when you spend forever waiting for a sim to finally die (or they pass suddenly), only for a lack of outcome/reaction of their death. Though, I find it silly how one of my sim's friends responded during such a difficult time. My sim's husband died in a fire caused by a barbecue - were making those tofu dogs really worth it, man? They just had a son, bought a new house and everything. She was in mourning. I held a funeral. Pretty much all of the guests made it, except one person I invited that didn't come sent their condolences via text. Later that day, the same friend called to ask her on a date. Like? Pardon me. I couldn't believe the audacity.
    here's hoping we collide
    No
    Gracelish wrote: »
    It is frustrating when you spend forever waiting for a sim to finally die (or they pass suddenly), only for a lack of outcome/reaction of their death. Though, I find it silly how one of my sim's friends responded during such a difficult time. My sim's husband died in a fire caused by a barbecue - were making those tofu dogs really worth it, man? They just had a son, bought a new house and everything. She was in mourning. I held a funeral. Pretty much all of the guests made it, except one person I invited that didn't come sent their condolences via text. Later that day, the same friend called to ask her on a date. Like? Pardon me. I couldn't believe the audacity.

Hmmm, perhaps your Sim had better find out if the "friend" had an alibi for the time of the mysterious tofu conflagration... :o
  • MeskenasBoiiMeskenasBoii Posts: 39 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I love how my sims react to death, and with the funeral mod it's even better. They cry, and get really upset. I also have an emotion mod

That explains it. Mods sure do wonders to the game, and it might be the reason why the reaction to death is treated as it suppose and it shows how poor TS4 as a vanilla alone game is (with the regards of handling the mechanic of this thread's topic).

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No

If you play legacy-style with aging on, you'll see plenty of deaths. You must have a different play style, I guess.

I'm talking about random deaths and accidents. I haven't seen any in TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    @Cinebar wrote: »

Death by Anger : Sometimes when the neighbors are too loud and the sim was already angry.

It's the only random death in my game.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    No

I've not seen emotionally induced deaths that often (though I had one Sim expire from rage once when my Sim told him she was divorcing him, which startled me a bit but fit perfectly with the storyline :D ), nor random ones (though, again, just last week I had my cute kiddo heir go up in flames as a result of lint in the dryer - I managed to NOT quit without saving to play the storyline out :o ). But yes, random deaths and accidents are fairly rare in my saves too.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    No
    Sadness from Death needs to last much longer and have a stronger effect. Perhaps you'd be Very Sad for at least 72 hours and you'd have to keep performing the special Sad interactions to keep from dying of Sadness.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    No
    Nope.

Where is the scary background music when Grim Reapers started to appear? I miss having the music in Live mode that can immerse me to my sim moments even in this events.
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    No
    Guys, is there any possibilty that they'll ever fix it?
    It's been 4 years since game release..
    Such a shame, cause it's really annoying that my sims don't even know when their parents die.
    I'm pretty sure that it doesn't demand a lot of work to add some calls or something, informing about death of family member..
    They are just as always, busy doing things that minority want
  • meadowbroadhurstmeadowbroadhurst Posts: 8 New Member
    No
    I think that there should be a funeral social event and perhaps a moodlit for anybody who had relations to the passed sim.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    No
    Last emotional death I saw was back when I first got the game. My teenage sim died of hysteria. I don't believe I've seen any other. I couldn't even get a sim to die from over exertion when they're old. The game won't allow you to do anything that could push them over that limit.

I too would love to see funerals make a come back.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".