Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adoption Question...

So. I wanted my Sim to adopt a baby, but a SPECIFIC baby. I killed the baby's mom, baby was taken by social worker, a few days later I adopt a baby girl... and I don't know who she is. Did I do something wrong? I don't know if this is a bug or not.

I COULD just put the baby in the household, but I'm considering that a last resort since then my current Sim wouldn't be recognized as family :/

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    This isn't a bug, that's not how adoption works in TS3. You are assigned an adoptee after being asked which gender and age you prefer, but that's it. There is no control over which child your sim gets and you cannot adopt a specific baby. Babies through children taken by the social worker Service Sim are not adopted by others, they are out of the game. Although in some cases, you may see them reappear as much older homeless NPCs in Service or Role positions after sufficient time has passed.

Putting the baby into the new (to them) household so that they will raise it as their own is the only way to do this. Even with mods, such as MasterController through which we can specify and fix family tree relationships, there aren't any designations for stepparent and stepchild. The only thing we can do there is make the parents and baby have a full parent-child relationship, but then the baby would no longer be related to their now deceased birth mother.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Did your male sim have a baby with another female sim in another household? You would have to move the mother in your own household with the baby. You can then kill off the mother and the child will show your male sim as the father and mother deceased on the family tree. If the mother and child are of no relation to your sims, you could move the mother in with the baby, kill her off and have your sims raise the baby as @igazor stated. The baby will not be your sims child or will it show up in a family tree as related
    edited May 2018
    @phoebebebe13 - Does the birth mother, while still alive, really need to be moved in though? Using MC, we can just shift the baby from their original household to the one that will raise it. I assumed the same thing could be done using Edit Town to split the household and then do whatever was wanted with the mother. Not so?

Sims are so easygoing, it's insane. Oh look, there's a baby in my household. No idea where it came from but it needs cuddling, changing, feeding, and someday will have mood swings and want to be taught how to drive and go to Uni. ;)

The underlying challenge for the OP though is that there really cannot be a household of just a baby even for a brief moment, as the game (modded or not) will not react well to that. These things have to be planned out pretty carefully in advance to avoid unexpected interference as described.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited May 2018
    @igazor Yes on the mother. You cant move children into another household without an adult to move with the child. This goes for baby, child and teen. Edit town will not let you move a minor child without an adult accompanying them in the move. The adult does not have to be related to the child in oder to move an adult and child together. If you move the adult without the child, social services will take the child if there is no other adult in the household as what happened with OP. This is if your not using mods. I have never done this with MC mods so you would know more about that than I do ;)
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @igazor The kid can be brought into your sims' household without mods or Edit Town coming into play. Whenever I've had a single guy who's spent his YA years bed-hopping but suddenly wants to kidnap take custody of one of his children to be his heir, I just have him make nice with the kid's mom and ask her to move in. Once she says yes and the move in screen comes up, I move her icon back over to her own house's list and move the kid into my sim's household. It works fine, no complications or random lightning strikes necessary. In fact, if the guy hasn't bothered to maintain even the most minimal relationship with the mother, he asks another sim living in the kid's house instead.

Of course, for the "ask to move in" option to pop, the sims need to be close to good friends and having a conversation that rates "sociable" or "friendly," but that's never been an issue.
    @igazor The kid can be brought into your sims' household without mods or Edit Town coming into play. Whenever I've had a single guy who's spent his YA years bed-hopping but suddenly wants to kidnap take custody of one of his children to be his heir, I just have him make nice with the kid's mom and ask her to move in. Once she says yes and the move in screen comes up, I move her icon back over to her own house's list and move the kid into my sim's household. It works fine, no complications or random lightning strikes necessary. In fact, if the guy hasn't bothered to maintain even the most minimal relationship with the mother, he asks another sim living in the kid's house instead.

Of course, for the "ask to move in" option to pop, the sims need to be close to good friends and having a conversation that rates "sociable" or "friendly," but that's never been an issue.

I have never used the move in option. . Good to know that there may be another way because edit town wont let you move a minor without an adult
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    Go get a DNA sample from anyone and lo, you can create a baby from them using the science machine. I dunno if you can get DNA from kids, but if the kid grew up and you wanted to do the baby thing with them - DNA is the way.
    I actually cloned one of my favourite sims with the science machine, and now he has a twin brother, and they are both incorrigible werewolves. We go tomb raiding together quite regularly.
    Go get a DNA sample from anyone and lo, you can create a baby from them using the science machine. I dunno if you can get DNA from kids, but if the kid grew up and you wanted to do the baby thing with them - DNA is the way.
    I actually cloned one of my favourite sims with the science machine, and now he has a twin brother, and they are both incorrigible werewolves. We go tomb raiding together quite regularly.
    That sounds like fun, but the OP on this thread was trying to shift an already existing baby from one household to another by "adopting" it. She wasn't trying to create a new sim out of DNA. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    Quite true Igazor. She was. I've moved kids with adults and just booted the unwanted adult seconds later. Oh how hard it was in the days of TS1 when you had to work at relationships to get a sim to join your household.