Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We Might Be Getting New Stairs

Comments

• Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Landing I guess then, spiral is so popular they wouldn't leave it out for good compared to the others.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    When i think of normal , traditional houses, spiral staircases just dont fit in. Seems like something for a very niche type of house. I like L-shape more and also the U shaped.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Ceiling variations would be nice. Just not that ugly popcorn ceiling ew.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    For some reason I can never see my ceilings. It's always top-down or 3/4
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    For some reason I can never see my ceilings. It's always top-down or 3/4

When people go in to the free camera mode you can see them, ceiling tiles would be really helpful for screen shots looking nicer.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2018
    I voted for spiral, but I wish ladders had been an option. Those would be perfect for tiny/small houses which is what I primarily like to build. I've always thought it would be great to have those, but I don't remember them being an option in TS2. Unless they were in a later pack that I didn't own? I heard TS3 had them though. Actually, I'd be incredibly happy with any type of new stairs. :)

EDIT: For the build mode features I figured everyone would request Terrain/Pond Tools and custom ceilings, so my three desires were:

1. Bulldoze from the Neighborhood map screen (this option was available, but it was removed for some reason)
    2. Change lighting color/intensity in build mode
    3. Independent foundations
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited May 2018
    Editable ceilings? Oh boy, I mean don't get me wrong, I completely get that others have a different play style and list of wants for the game, but man how is that a priority when there is so much else that could be added instead? Give me the essentials, like seasons, terrain tools, etc., then work from there. lol.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Ceilings don't bother me that much but the underside of a roof exterior does. However, if we can texture ceilings, I want beams in the ceilings and coffered ceilings and pressed tin ceilings.
  • Options
    ravelravel Posts: 98 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I voted for spiral, but I wish ladders had been an option. Those would be perfect for tiny/small houses which is what I primarily like to build. I've always thought it would be great to have those, but I don't remember them being an option in TS2. Unless they were in a later pack that I didn't own? I heard TS3 had them though. Actually, I'd be incredibly happy with any type of new stairs. :)

I would love ladders that take up only couple of grids. In TS2 I had cc ladders that I loved and I'm really missing them. But any type of new stairs would be welcomed :smiley:
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Ceilings are important when you take pictures for storytelling. It's good that we have them from the start, but like what others said, white ceilings don't go with every room
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    CairieeCairiee Posts: 19 Member
    sad there is no option for regular stairs on the diagonal. everything diagonal except stairs really limits building potential. for whats on the list stair landings would be the most useful.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I voted for spiral as that's room efficient. His last tweets seems to state something like that is coming, so I'm really curious to see when and how!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I voted for stair landings because that covers all the different shapes of stair, minus spiral I suppose, and possibly could come with a real split level tool.

As an architect, I wish. But I feel like that's a stretch. It would be so much fun to add split levels to homes and make more complex builds.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    GelysenGelysen Posts: 214 Member
    What I'd love to see is one of those industrial elevators you see in old factory buildings but I get why thats not gonna happen xD Ladders are also very very welcome in my game as they would work great for small houses and small attics and maybe even basements but also to use creatively in castle builds etc.
    My sims 4 wishlist:
    -Spiral, L&U shaped stairs-More hair colors-Alternative fashion(Goth,Punk,lolita)-More rabbit hole careers-Witches,Plantsims,Werewolves.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    It's not possible to vote anymore :( I would have voted L-shaped stairs.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm not sure what makes everyone think spiral stairs are space efficient.

They are only MORE space efficient a house with tall walls (5 tiles per floor instead of 6), but are equally a space efficient with medium walls (5 tiles per floor each) and less efficient with short walls (stairs take 4 tiles per floor with short walls, while spiral stairs take 5).

These tile counts include the footprint of the stairs themselves (4 tiles for spiral, 3-5 for straight stairs) and then an extra square at the end on each floor.
  • Options
    RenSimmerRenSimmer Posts: 16 Member
    I voted for stair landings, but i'm happy that spiral stairs won because i wanted them in the game too, actually we need all of them
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

They are only MORE space efficient a house with tall walls (5 tiles per floor instead of 6), but are equally a space efficient with medium walls (5 tiles per floor each) and less efficient with short walls (stairs take 4 tiles per floor with short walls, while spiral stairs take 5).

These tile counts include the footprint of the stairs themselves (4 tiles for spiral, 3-5 for straight stairs) and then an extra square at the end on each floor.

I agree. I think most people want spiral stairs because they look cool but alot more can be gained if they developed split-levels, landings and adjustable room heights. It might take much more time than just designing spiral stairs, but it would also help create much more interesting builds.

I'm just gonna leave these here:
    11-two-level-living-room-split-level-living-room-using-neutral.jpg
    moderndaysplitlevel7-800x528.jpg

Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I’m sad I didn’t vote for landings! That encompasses all the stairs except for spiral.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    As much as I love the shaped stairs I had to follow a tutorial each time I attempted to build them so I chose spiral because those are the ones I most used in my sim's homes. Hopefully we'll get them all at some point.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

It's not an issue of the number of tiles. The issue is the shape, one tile by four or five long as opposed to four tiles in a square. I dn't always have room for a straight run of stairs but do have room for a square of four tiles. When I say "taking up space" I refer to length vs width.
  • Options
    TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'd love for them to bring the spiral staircases back. I miss the look of them. I especially hope they add a wrought iron choice style wise.
    I like the part "We have a long list of things we want to make" also. It shows the commitment and energy to the series... which people seem to need to hear consistently.

Wrought iron spiral stairs would be perfect for a Vampire/New Orleans style build. I'm not on Twitter, but if I was, I'd vote for spiral.
    And pin-striped suits. That way we could have Stairs 'n Stripes forever.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Sigh... looks like spiral stairs has won oh well hopefully they decide to do landings at some point as it would give us the most options. I swear the only thing I'm looking forward to with spiral stairs is seeing toddlers get up and down.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Some polls aren't meant to pick a winner. Sometimes they are used to gauge interest in the subject of the poll.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I would like a staircase like this: [img][/img]BhgiVnr.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/