Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Breaking Up

Comments

• Options
    Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    ShuffleJ wrote: »
    As long as I've played Sims (which is a long time) I've always kinda let my Sims determine how their own relationships go. They give little clues in the Wants panel. I usually follow that. What's interesting, is if you pay attention, they tell you who they want to be with. They also tell you when they're done. Over time, I've figured out that the "meet someone new" want means they're ready to move on. It pops up during breakups too. I also recently had two Sims break up and they both got so upset they vomited. Both of their wants during the breakup were "be friends with X" and funny enough, one of them wanted to cast a good luck spell on the other one. I mean, come on. They want to break up, but still be friends. LOL.

If you follow the wants panel, it's really fascinating to watch them determine the course of their own little lives. Even almost 20 years later, The Sims keeps it interesting. Does anyone else do this? I love to let them pick their own mates. Sometimes it works, sometimes it ends in heartbreak. Sometimes Sims is too real.

Amen! I enjoy helping my sims reach their goals and gain the desires of their hearts. I want them to be as free as possible.
  • Options
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @Mikezumi - I am definitely analytical! I tend to notice the 'things in the detail', and the 'hidden in plain sight' aspects of this game. While I do agree our personalities, personal point-of-view, and imagination definitely has a large influence on how we interpret various aspects of this game, I also recognize there is a series of inter-woven systems in play making (or guiding) the Sims to come to certain conclusions (on their own) which they attempt to translate to us as players through icons, wants or wishes.

very well said; I agree
  • Options
    When I played TS2, I noticed the children would cry when in the presence of a cheating parent. I wasn't sure why they were doing this. So I googled it and found out they were hurting due to one of their parents being unfaithful. I felt terrible. LOL the sim that cheated had the trait of wanting a lot of lovers. (I forget what it was called).

I haven't seen it happen in TS3, because I don't really allow my sims to cheat. UNLESS I am playing a premade sim and find out the husband cheated. I know it isn't right, but I allowed the sim getting cheating on to cheat as well. I didn't notice the kids behaving any different, it was like they didn't know.

someone above stated their sims kids didn't like the new step mom. How do you know? These sims don't seem as emotional as the ones in TS2.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    When I played TS2, I noticed the children would cry when in the presence of a cheating parent. I wasn't sure why they were doing this. So I googled it and found out they were hurting due to one of their parents being unfaithful. I felt terrible. LOL the sim that cheated had the trait of wanting a lot of lovers. (I forget what it was called).

I haven't seen it happen in TS3, because I don't really allow my sims to cheat. UNLESS I am playing a premade sim and find out the husband cheated. I know it isn't right, but I allowed the sim getting cheating on to cheat as well. I didn't notice the kids behaving any different, it was like they didn't know.

someone above stated their sims kids didn't like the new step mom. How do you know? These sims don't seem as emotional as the ones in TS2.

They keep going for negative interactions with the new parents or they get angry if the parent cheats. My sim's daughter saw her grandma flirt with him (weird grandma couldn't keep her hands off him) and she got really upset and angry at her dad and I think the grandma too. Then the cat attacked her, quite the night XD

Sometimes they'll just give negative outcomes to any interaction with the step parents.

Speaking of sims 2. My favorite thing ever was when son fought with mortimer goth and poor Alexander saw his dad getting beat up and run up the stairs and cried the got mad and kicked the air.
  • Options
    ShuffleJShuffleJ Posts: 273 Member
    I am a uncontrolling simmer,appreciate the high free will system.Who am I to deny my sim the computer, if that is what he want's to do he can.Same with relationships it is fun to go to the park with 7 or 8 females there and he is drawn to a certain one or gives her the most attention then "Ding ding,we have a winner".And find it adorable when the girl you live withwhoever it may be decides to just dip kiss you for no reason then goes off to play darts watch TV whatever.

Am a softie when it comes to sims no longer in love or when one cheats.That awkwardness where you try to talk and they have no interest and get mad/angry declining your bar even further. :'( It gives me RL feels.

One time as a test married Constance Shelley from Riverview cheated intentionally right in front of her and she was a wreck.Never seen nothing like it she was honestly heartbroken and when I even tried regular convos she shut me out and we grew further apart.It was awful even though it is only a game that was hard to watch.Making it worse was the crying and thought bubbles that she had and they were not same day only it is like she dwelled on her pain and misery livng with a monster :bawling:

I have RL feels too. When my two Sims broke and both got so upset they vomited, I felt really bad. I had to take a break from the game for a minute. And funny enough, the relationships they have now don't seem to have the same spark. Only problem was, one of them (a witch) was constantly casting Love Spells on himself (on his own) and making out with random Sims, so he's not the settling down type. LOL.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I am a uncontrolling simmer,appreciate the high free will system.Who am I to deny my sim the computer, if that is what he want's to do he can.Same with relationships it is fun to go to the park with 7 or 8 females there and he is drawn to a certain one or gives her the most attention then "Ding ding,we have a winner".And find it adorable when the girl you live withwhoever it may be decides to just dip kiss you for no reason then goes off to play darts watch TV whatever.

Am a softie when it comes to sims no longer in love or when one cheats.That awkwardness where you try to talk and they have no interest and get mad/angry declining your bar even further. :'( It gives me RL feels.

One time as a test married Constance Shelley from Riverview cheated intentionally right in front of her and she was a wreck.Never seen nothing like it she was honestly heartbroken and when I even tried regular convos she shut me out and we grew further apart.It was awful even though it is only a game that was hard to watch.Making it worse was the crying and thought bubbles that she had and they were not same day only it is like she dwelled on her pain and misery livng with a monster :bawling:

I have RL feels too. When my two Sims broke and both got so upset they vomited, I felt really bad. I had to take a break from the game for a minute. And funny enough, the relationships they have now don't seem to have the same spark. Only problem was, one of them (a witch) was constantly casting Love Spells on himself (on his own) and making out with random Sims, so he's not the settling down type. LOL.

This is not something I am particularly proud of but I think it shows how emotionally involved in this game we can get. In an effort to copy Quxxn's sim Austin as he played Casanova in Sunset Valley with the intention of impregnating 10 different sims, I too created a casanova sim. All went well until one of his ex girlfriends turned up at his house, heavily pregnant and crying. Up until then I had not really considered the full consequences of his actions. He hadn't even properly ended each relationship before moving on to the next. After a couple of days the ex would stop calling and he never rang or visited when each baby was born. However now here it was right in my face and my sim showed not one jot of remorse but just a wish to shoo her off his property. I was caught by surprise and completely gutted. His career as a casanova ended right then and there. Even then I did bear in mind he was the way he was because I had made him so and directed his actions. If I was feeling awful it was my own fault.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited May 2018
    I guess I must be a closet-control freak because I never let my sims have what they want in terms of relationship breakups or anything like that.

And ultimately...the two that I posted earlier...ended up like this.

Screenshot-111.jpg
    Many years of blissful marriage and their kids growing up; leaving the nest and all...and them (Haruo and River) growing old together (of course, I still haven't gotten to the "old" part yet...)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    I remember in one of my earlier saves my sim Jaxon, married Molly French (aged down to YA). He adopted her daughter Sandy and they later had a little boy, Victor. For a while everything was perfect, until Sandy became a teenager. She woke up one day in a bad mood and I decided to send them all to the winter festival. I was controlling Molly at the time when suddenly, I see a notification from Jaxon saying something like "You know what? You're right, Molly and I are through"

Panicked, I zoom to Jaxon and see him talking to Sandy who had just asked him to break up with her own mother! Poor Molly was devastated and I immediately sent them all home, kicked Sandy out and tried to get Jaxton and Molly back together. I was so mad and have never forgiven Sandy for that. Now anytime I play in SV, first thing I do is kill the toddler from hell, even if I have no plans for her mom.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    I remember in one of my earlier saves my sim Jaxon, married Molly French (aged down to YA). He adopted her daughter Sandy and they later had a little boy, Victor. For a while everything was perfect, until Sandy became a teenager. She woke up one day in a bad mood and I decided to send them all to the winter festival. I was controlling Molly at the time when suddenly, I see a notification from Jaxon saying something like "You know what? You're right, Molly and I are through"

Panicked, I zoom to Jaxon and see him talking to Sandy who had just asked him to break up with her own mother! Poor Molly was devastated and I immediately sent them all home, kicked Sandy out and tried to get Jaxton and Molly back together. I was so mad and have never forgiven Sandy for that. Now anytime I play in SV, first thing I do is kill the toddler from hell, even if I have no plans for her mom.
    Ah yes, I remember all the times as a teen I woke up in a bad mood and seriously suggested to my Dad that he and Mom should break up. Usually followed by my being grounded again and locked in the basement. Don't be too concerned, it was a finished basement and was actually very nice down there. :p

If the parents' relationship was solid, I wouldn't have played through that save challenging though it sounds to have tried to recover from.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    edited May 2018
    @igazor Lol! My parents would have taken me to see a shrink if I'd dared suggest such a thing, though my teen years did give them some premature gray hair :p

I almost quit the game without saving, but I decided not to. Getting them back together took a LONG time but I liked the challenge as I'd been getting a bit bored with the constantly happy family. Should have locked Sandy in the basement though, now that you mention it.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    ShaThompShaThomp Posts: 17 Member
    My sims relationships are based on if there is an attraction and I agree with @igazor. I don't listen to there wishes, especially if it is to befriend another male/woman
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Fortunately for my sims I don't build basements :D:D Breaking up for my sims is not an option when there are children in the house. Any sim that attempts to stray outside the marital home is immediately punished with emptying the potty duty :D:D
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2018
    @mw1525 Just wanted to say I loved reading your post about other simmer's experiences! I'm kind of on the borderline of rather sims are really "intelligent" or not, but I definitely hope so! It makes me feel so excited that my minions might have a brain and not just on my puppet strings.

I do think sims have their own personalities outside of just traits. For example, the sim I'm playing right now is absolutely obsessed with his bird. He has no animal lover trait, but will go watch and play with his bird everyday, will fill and clean its cage, while his girlfriend does none of that. And then when their house got smashed by a meteor, the first fire he rushed to extinguish was one burning near the birdcage... I was rofling at that point.

Also, every morning he tends to go outside and recycle the previous day's newspaper, it's like the first thing he does each morning. It's interesting to watch.

And I remember a sim who used to autonomously dumpster dive, no slob or anything on her. The thing is, she was dirt poor, I think she knew which is why whenever she was on a community lot with a dumpster she would dive. After she got rich the love for dumpsters ended lol. I never notice these things when I'm playing though, but now that I try to think about it they are all popping up.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @meerkattime -I've only had tons of break-ups in EA worlds when I played Mod-free and had the EA bugfest turned on which would cause bad matches which always ended in a marriage breaking up after they started cheating on each other outside of my control.I won't be seeing too many break-ups with the NRaas Mod version of story progression turned on and tuned for TS2's rotational play because I have to control them and will mostly make sure they get matched up with the closest friends of theirs and new singles will just start with making a number of good friends as they will only be able to draw on their pool of friends for flirts and possible romantic matches.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Fireheart2010Fireheart2010 Posts: 148 Member
    As long as I've played Sims (which is a long time) I've always kinda let my Sims determine how their own relationships go. They give little clues in the Wants panel. I usually follow that. What's interesting, is if you pay attention, they tell you who they want to be with. They also tell you when they're done. Over time, I've figured out that the "meet someone new" want means they're ready to move on. It pops up during breakups too. I also recently had two Sims break up and they both got so upset they vomited. Both of their wants during the breakup were "be friends with X" and funny enough, one of them wanted to cast a good luck spell on the other one. I mean, come on. They want to break up, but still be friends. LOL.

If you follow the wants panel, it's really fascinating to watch them determine the course of their own little lives. Even almost 20 years later, The Sims keeps it interesting. Does anyone else do this? I love to let them pick their own mates. Sometimes it works, sometimes it ends in heartbreak. Sometimes Sims is too real.

I agree it is fascinating to see how their lives play out through the wants panel. I myself have a bad habit of controlling every little thing they do and every little interaction they make. Typically I make a sim for my active sim because I want them to be a perfect match. Sometimes it just doesn't happen though and that's okay because it's a lot like life. Sometimes things just don't work out the way we intend.
    peace_love_adopt_rectangular_sticker-r4646840974ac43558d16db15cbd53fcb_v9wxo_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited May 2018
    I was just reminded not to allow my acrobat's partner to watch her gig. The relationship always takes a hit. I planned to have their private wedding right after her gig at the Binder Clips, but made the mistake of sending him along to watch the show. Afterward, she wouldn't allow him to touch her, and the relationship just kept going down every time he tried to start anything romantic, even after he apologized repeatedly. In order to have the private wedding that night, I had to cheat their relationship back up. Letting a spouse watch ST performances seems to be sure fire way to destroy their relationship. I won't be doing it again!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I was just reminded not to allow my acrobat's partner to watch her gig. The relationship always takes a hit.
    You're not going to believe this, especially coming from me. But...(looks to the left nervously, then to the right, and whispers) there's a mod for that! :p

Not one of ours this time, this one is Buzzler's.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=543126
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Thanks, @igazor. I had seen that mod before, but since I don't play ST performers very often, I forgot about it. What I did when I first saw it was to change the tuning file myself with Retuner. But I guess I didn't save those settings. I'll have to get that taken care of and save the settings this time.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @meerkattime -That's not the right name for it and it's properly know as the EA bugfest or EA's bug and glitchfest.I've never been able to play with it turned on without getting glitched out and corrupted saves or getting Error 12's not far into a save because it would go way overboard and overload the town too quickly.I'm playing TS2's rotational play in a very heavily Modded game with over 700 Mod files installed.
    I don't have too many couples breaking up unless they came with a partner they'd been forced to marry and they both wanted to go their seperate ways and find new partners.It might become more common in more modern times for couples to break up marriages when a great depression and a majot war forced them to rush into relationships too quickly and they would've been more likely to make a mistake and choose the wrong partner in those situations.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Thanks, @igazor. I had seen that mod before, but since I don't play ST performers very often, I forgot about it. What I did when I first saw it was to change the tuning file myself with Retuner. But I guess I didn't save those settings. I'll have to get that taken care of and save the settings this time.

@IreneSwift do you have the location to the setting in Retuner? I love Buzzler's mods but I have too many packages now as it is. :)
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    @KevinL5275 That's why I prefer to retune the XML files myself, rather than getting more mods that only change one or two files. But it did take quite a bit of time and effort to find it, as I didn't remember where it was.

Retuner > Settings > General > By Tunable XML > Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.PerformanceObjects > ShowStage > kTimeAudienceRequestTrickIsValid

Default is 30. Change it to 300. Problem solved.
  • Options
    alexjoanrowwalexjoanroww Posts: 63 Member
    I personally always have my sims get together with someone that they are attracted to. I feel bad if I force something on them. I also think that at least sometimes, their wishes are serious\hints of the next course of action for them to be happy. The frequency and content of the wishes does play a part too. For example, if my sim gets attracted to another sim and they get the wish to kiss that sim but they don't think of that sim like, ever again, I'm not considering this serious\what would necessarily be needed for them to be happy. But if they constantly get wishes of being romantic with someone, seeing them again etc, that definitely shows something.

I haven't had sims break up more than a few times in all the years I'm playing sims but they always handed it pretty well, from what I remember.

About kids in sims 3 reacting to a cheating parent: They usually get a "betrayed moodlet" or something of the short and pursue negative interactions with the cheating person and their relationship drops if not change to enemies\zero entirely.
  • Options
    alexjoanrowwalexjoanroww Posts: 63 Member
    @igazor Now, I'm genuinely curious. Which bridgeport couple was it? I'm currently playing with a family there and it does seem like sims hook up randomly and change partners quickly (or basically just hook up with someone and never speak to them again as if nothing happened.) Whenever I have a sim move in with another sim, that sim always turns out to have a 2nd (or 3rd!!!) affair, it's such a bummer.