Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need some recommendations

FairytalesFairytales Posts: 64 Member
edited May 2018 in Off Topic Chat
Hey everyone. I’m looking at buying a computer pretty soon. Been researching and looking everywhere. Thought I had my mind made up with the Acer Predator Helios 300 with the 256gb ssd and 1tb model but I’ve kind of changed my mind due to the issues with the screen I found out. I guess the screen is pretty bad with dull colors and no brightness. It’s only a 60hz ips display.

I thought maybe some one could give me some recommendations on some decent laptops with the specs I’m looking for or maybe someone has a laptop they play sims on and really enjoy it. Budget under $1400. Maybe I will have to go higher with what I want.

Specs I’m looking for, i7, 6gb gtx 1060, 16gb ram, 256gb or 500gb ssd and 1tb., IPS120 hz screen and fairly lightweight (under 6lbs). Hopefully one that isn’t a hot pad, lol. I was looking at Asus but their reviews on Amazon and Best Buy aren’t really that good. I think the Acer Predator Helios would be good if only it was a 120hz screen. I like things bold and bright as my old one has very faded colors. I have a desktop that is okay but I don’t like desktops, prefer laptops. Thanks for any help!
26394146969_b2752af22f_m.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Tagging cuz she knows more @Phoebebebe13

I don't know if it would be easy to find a laptop with 120hz screen tho. Is there a reason you want that screen refresh rate? Are you only playing the Sims? Cuz if you are, usually we would recommend you to limit the game to 60fps (to be honest, the game hates laptops too and if you don't cap it to 60fps, it gets very wonky and can go over 200fps and then drop back down to even 30fps. And this won't look good even with a 120hz display).
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    By the way, 120hz doesn't make the screen brighter, it just refreshes the screen faster.

For the brightness and boldness of the screen, this all depends on the type of display, like you say about the ips. Maybe you prefer ips over Led displays, so just look put for those. The refresh rates don't do much difference, as far as I know.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    By the way, 120hz doesn't make the screen brighter, it just refreshes the screen faster.

For the brightness and boldness of the screen, this all depends on the type of display, like you say about the ips. Maybe you prefer ips over Led displays, so just look put for those. The refresh rates don't do much difference, as far as I know.

I didn’t know that about the screen. Was just reading about it before and some people just said 120hz looked better. I definitely would want the ips I think. Thank you.
  • Options
    Fairytales wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

I didn’t know that about the screen. Was just reading about it before and some people just said 120hz looked better. I definitely would want the ips I think. Thank you.

I think they meant it looked better cuz it will look smoother if you are not capping your games to 60fps.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited May 2018
    @Fairytales I have asked EA staff @EA_Mage to merge all your threads to one. There is no need for you to start a new thread every time you have a question for a new laptop. It will just confuse people trying to help if your questions are in several threads . You have 3 threads going,

I agree with @DeKay on refresh rate and if you want a 500 gb ssd plus an extra hard drive,you will need to go custom.
  • Options
    @Fairytales I have asked EA staff @EA_Mage to merge all your threads to one. There is no need for you to start a new thread every time you have a question for a new laptop. It will just confuse people trying to help if your questions are in several threads . You have 3 threads going,

I agree with @DeKay on refresh rate and if you want a 500 gb ssd plus an extra hard drive,you will need to go custom.

Ok thanks. I had thought that about the threads but recently whenever I opened a thread to ask a question in the PC section they kept getting moved to this off topic thread. So I opened a new one to get my question back in the PC section. They are computer questions so I didn’t know why they were moved to the off topic.

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Fairytales wrote: »

Ok thanks. I had thought that about the threads but recently whenever I opened a thread to ask a question in the PC section they kept getting moved to this off topic thread. So I opened a new one to get my question back in the PC section. They are computer questions so I didn’t know why they were moved to the off topic.

If your asking all these specific computer questions, EA sees it as off topic and will move your posts. Tech is for game tech help and your not just posting a computer and asking if it meets requirements.