Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 VR!

Comments

• vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    I hope not. However, I have a feeling this is what will be announced at EA Play.
    2UFyFUV.png

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2018
    I prefer playing sims as we do now.
    However, I wouldn't mind a VR mode for those times I just want to immerse myself into the sim world I created and observe it, or play some mini games with my sims. Or it could be a stand alone VR game that imports and exports data to your Sims Game.

For instance, suppose one of the mini-games was ping pong.
    You could export a room with a ping pong table from one of your sim's homes and play it in VR against one of the sims in the household.
    https://youtu.be/UiLjKj7wL3I
    Go to 5:10 to get past all this guy's commentary and imagine playing against your favorite sim instead of a robot.

What would really be awesome is to be able to select a group of your sims and play out a cooperative scenario.
    Your sims react and play according to their traits and skllls. They would also build skills as you play, which would also transfer to your main sims gain.

I can't find an existing game that would be perfect for The Sims, but imagine being in some scenario like Star Trek Bridgecrew, working together with your sims that taps into their personality and skills for some humorous fun. It would be great to see them improve as they skill up, or you can start with the perfect team by how you select your sims for their traits, rewards, and skills. Of course they would speak in simlish and you would get subtitled translations.
    https://youtu.be/ahmXrt8pSQA
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    vikixc wrote: »
    I hope not. However, I have a feeling this is what will be announced at EA Play.

Me too
    EA thinks they're trying to impress us with new things but in fact they're doing excatly the opposite, most of us just want improved and details packs like seasons, university and new GAMEPLAY
    Sometimes, just because something is new doesn't mean it's better
    Sadly this is what EA now they see anything that is new and trending now and apply it to the Sims
    THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    VR is a dead technology like Kinect and 3D display.

Ha. Somebody told you wrong.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited May 2018
    4thStreet wrote: »
    No thanks, I love the feel of watching a story unfold using the aspriations and whims. I dont think I would like being an actual "player" in the story, per-say.

However, what would be cool is in a builder's standpoint, if you could take a virtual tour of a house you built and interacted with some things. Doors and windows, sinks toilets, sitting g in chairs. But no real gameplay stuff.

That would be interesting, especially if it could be uploaded to the Gallery as part of the house view. That potentially could be done with current technology and without a major computer upgrade -- something similar to what you can find on home-selling or apartment rental sites, where you can take a virtual 3D tour.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    4thStreet wrote: »
    No thanks, I love the feel of watching a story unfold using the aspriations and whims. I dont think I would like being an actual "player" in the story, per-say.

However, what would be cool is in a builder's standpoint, if you could take a virtual tour of a house you built and interacted with some things. Doors and windows, sinks toilets, sitting g in chairs. But no real gameplay stuff.

Now that sounds interesting. Imagine VR and being able to build our own worlds again and going down to their level to check out every thing. Now that would be amazing - well for most - unfortunately me and VR do not get along. I'd still enjoys seeing pics of such things though. Maybe if VR was just in Build mode it'd not affect our gameplay.

Having it available in Build Mode could help identify possible bottlenecks that would affect routing, as well.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    I'll like the sims on VR very much if it came as its own game version.. like we have the sims on console..so that the VR lovers can play their Sims game on VR, while I still get to play my Sims on PC (Un VRd) peacefully and without interruptions. But to know that the option is available would be cool as long as it won't affect my pc experience in any way.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited May 2018
    @IceyJ wrote: »

VR makes sick a lot of people and the most of players prefer the "classic" way to play, in particular when they play with friends.
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member

I wouldn’t say that’s true. I think it’s just beginning, really. It’s very possible it could eventually improve enough to become useable by more gamers. I agree there are a lot of barriers to VR gaming being successful right now though. But I think gaming has to go SOMEWHERE, and VR makes sense as a next step. At the very least, game companies need to start innovating more instead of recreating variations on formulae for games that have been successful in the past. I know I crave something truly innovative and unique and there have been a few games like that but... I need more.

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I don't think we'll see Sims 4 on VR for the simple reason there isn't a lot of people with VR right now. I had VR when I had the Note 7 before it's firey recall. I didn't want to buy another VR for my Note 8. With phones you have to continually upgrade to another VR thingie because of their size.

Stand alone VR probably wouldn't be able to handle a TS4 game and VR on Sony is way too expensive right now. Same on the PC. If the Sims team was to make a VR Sims game I'd hope they'd go with Stand Alone VR were you don't need a phone to use the VR Thingie. Stand alone VR is cheaper to buy right now and you don't have to worry when you upgrade your phone and it's larger it won't fit into a phone VR.
    edited May 2018

VR makes sick a lot of people and the most of players prefer the "classic" way to play, in particular when they play with friends.

None of that means that VR is dead. I had motion sickness when I first got VR, too. It took me less than a week to overcome it. It was worth it.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

This does not mean that the technology is 'dead'. While I do not think it will be come the definitive way to play, it is clear that VR will be an option going forward. I don't think that The Sims lends itself well to VR, but other titles will continue to be available.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member

I am not one of those people. :)
    I am dabbling with it now, and I am waiting for the HTC or Oculus to make a wireless headset with better resolution.
    I have the Windows Mix Reality Odyssey headset by Samsung and also the Oculus Go.

All the games right now feel more like tech demos, but I am impressed with the feeling of immersion from what I have experienced.
    The Lab, by Valve was a nice taste. I wish these were full games. They were a lot of fun.
    https://youtu.be/ASVku-48N8Q

I do have Skyrim VR, but I am currently playing my modded Skyrim.
    I will finish this play-through and wait a while before I try Skyrim VR.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a regular computer game, but it does make use of Ansel by Nvidia.
    This allows you take 360 degree images within the game that you can play on your VR headset.
    Mass%20Effect%20Andromeda%20360-Stereo%202017.11.12%20-%2021.43.42.29.jpg

Mass%20Effect%20Andromeda%20360-Stereo%202017.11.12%20-%2012.03.28.50.jpg

Viewing the game this way makes you realize how much you are not in the game.
    Even though it's a static image, the immersion is amazing. You are in it instead of playing on the other side of a window.
    I wish the Sims made use of Ansel. I would be snapping pictures all the time and looking at them in VR.
    https://youtu.be/qknHKgk-3gA
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    edited May 2018
    graventhe wrote: »
    vikixc wrote: »

Me too
    EA thinks they're trying to impress us with new things but in fact they're doing excatly the opposite, most of us just want improved and details packs like seasons, university and new GAMEPLAY
    Sometimes, just because something is new doesn't mean it's better
    Sadly this is what EA now they see anything that is new and trending now and apply it to the Sims
    THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS!

I have been thinking about this and I have come up with the following:

A lot of people will be left out if it is a VR announcement. That kinda goes against everything they said about why TS4 is the way it is. Apparently they optimised it so even low end PC's could run it. If they introduce VR I would estimate 90% of the player base would be up the creek without a paddle, unless they release it as another game without EP's, GP's and SP's. If they do not, they will have an even higher work load and I'd expect to see this reflected in the quality of releases for the PC and console version. AFAIK, they haven't hired additional staff. IMO, not a clever move.

I don't know, there's so much speculation going on and nobody knows anything :/
    2UFyFUV.png

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    VR is for the future and the Sims games sure aren’t the first of EA’s games to get it. Just read https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/302663/EA_CEO_We_can_and_will_do_VR_but_AR_is_more_interesting.php
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well The Sims done that back in 2000:

150px-Simsvr.JPG
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't care for VR in a Sims game. First, because I have epilepsy, and I don't know how my brain would react to VR. Secondly, it would probably be in first person perspective, and you'd be unable to control multiple sims or families. The whole management aspect of the game would be ruined. And part of why I love the Sims is because of the management aspect and being able to play god. I don't want to BE a Sim, I want to control them lol. Hopefully, if they did make a VR version, they'd make it in third-person and make first-person optional.
    But, I wouldn't be surprised if the next iteration of the Sims is VR compatible, since EA seems very dedicated to making their games accessible from ALL platforms. I predict that the Sims 5 will probably be playable for console, PC, mobile and VR. Whether or not this makes the game better is to be seen, it may make the game even shallower since they will have to make sacrifices for all the different platforms the game will run on.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I wonder by the way, because it’s often used as an argument when it comes to art style (“not too realistic because that would feel off when you drown them or kill them in a fire”), wouldn’t that be a big problem when the game would become VR too? And how about quirkiness? Would it be fun if you can’t see your own character? Isn’t seeing your active character one of Sims’ main charms?
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I wonder by the way, because it’s often used as an argument when it comes to art style (“not too realistic because that would feel off when you drown them or kill them in a fire”), wouldn’t that be a big problem when the game would become VR too? And how about quirkiness? Would it be fun if you can’t see your own character? Isn’t seeing your active character one of Sims’ main charms?

There are many different art styles in VR, including cartoony, so the art style can stay the same. Bringing the Sims to VR would obviously up the realism because it puts us in the game, but that's the whole point. :smile: I guess anyone who doesn't want realism should avoid VR altogether.

As for seeing your own character, I've played VR games that are not first person, but 3rd person. First person is more immersive and fun, but they could always take the other route. Or even make it an option to switch between the two. They could also make us an 'extra' sim in our sim's worlds. That way it's still first person, but we can see and interact with all of our characters.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    VR for the Sims would feel like a gimmick to me. It's not the kind of game that I would want to play first person for any length of time. I'm not trying to be my Sims. I'm their guardian and benefactor, nothing more. ;)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • alexa426alexa426 Posts: 54 Member
    YESS PLEASE!!!
    edited May 2018
    IceyJ wrote: »

There are many different art styles in VR, including cartoony, so the art style can stay the same. Bringing the Sims to VR would obviously up the realism because it puts us in the game, but that's the whole point. :smile: I guess anyone who doesn't want realism should avoid VR altogether.

As for seeing your own character, I've played VR games that are not first person, but 3rd person. First person is more immersive and fun, but they could always take the other route. Or even make it an option to switch between the two. They could also make us an 'extra' sim in our sim's worlds. That way it's still first person, but we can see and interact with all of our characters.
    It’s just... when I think of what we do with our sims..., there are quite a few actions that would feel awkward to me in first person. It’s just not comparable to other VR games. Because Sims is so much more personal in a way than other games. Let’s put it like this, the ‘more immersive’ part would be the problem for me, because sims basically do ordinary stuff. The sim God role many people love to play in this game would disappear, the player would become the sim. I just feel that doesn’t really suit the kind of game it is. I think the game in fact benefits from the distance there is between sim and player. Not even sure if the player being the sim‘s got something to do with immersion.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2018

It’s just... when I think of what we do with our sims..., there are quite a few actions that would feel awkward to me in first person. It’s just not comparable to other VR games. Because Sims is so much more personal in a way than other games. Let’s put it like this, the ‘more immersive’ part would be the problem for me, because sims basically do ordinary stuff. The sim God role many people love to play in this game would disappear, the player would become the sim. I just feel that doesn’t really suit the kind of game it is. I think the game in fact benefits from the distance there is between sim and player. Not even sure if the player being the sim‘s got something to do with immersion.

Then The Sims VR wouldn't be for you. It would be for a different audience that enjoys that type of thing. The same way some simmers want/enjoy a multiplayer experience in The Sims while others feel that it destroys the game.
    edited May 2018

Then The Sims VR wouldn't be for you. It would be for a different audience that enjoys that type of thing. The same way some simmers want/enjoy a multiplayer experience in The Sims while others feel that it destroys the game.
    My point is rather that I think VR isn’t for Sims. I can see it working in other games, watching my son playing them, though I often can’t help wondering why he asked me to help him creating the character in question to detail when you can’t even see him :mrgreen: (and I think that aspect is more important to simmers than it is for him)
    The sim god aspect, an essential part of the game, would completely vanish. You’d always play from a ‘me’ perspective and many simmers love playing someone else’s life. And how about personality. How would you see your sim’s personality when he’s basically you? Facial expressions of your sim, highly important to players, would become invisible for the sim you’re controlling. I think that’s less important in other games that have different goals. It’s just things like that which I’m wondering and ‘then it’s just not for you’ doesn’t answer that question, even when that’s the case. I just don’t see VR fitting a Sims game’s gameplay.

Of course it could be a simple matter of a toggle, but I’m a bit anxious about that. It would take time and money I’d see them rather spend on other things.

Yes, I see the same problem with multiplayer and playing Animal Crossing I can assure you I have nothing against playing a game with others. I like that aspect in that game. In a Sims game it would just encourage certain behaviour I witnessed once when I briefly played Habbo Hotel to check it out (because my kids played it). I just feel EA seriously has to consider these kind of aspects first before they’d go down that route. People mustn’t forget Sims is a one of a kind game with its own vibe, approach and gameplay that can’t be compared to other games.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Well a VR Observer mode would be a really nice thing for the sims. Just snap down into first person mode and walk around your sims house and watch what they are doing and what you have created.
    A complete VR Mode where you play the game in VR would be a total nightmare and cut alot of features.

And VR in general is a thing than does not belong in sims 4 and needs a sims 5 that is designed for it from the ground. Sims 4 world is too lacking for vr, there are no real ceilings and roofs so you dont stare into the sky when you look up, and textures and details are too low to go up close all around, also the ai would need an big improvement to act on its own without frequently needing a babysitter.