Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm very worried about the future of The Sims

SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
With all of this talk of the focus moving to mobile gaming, I feel very worried about the future of my favourite video game franchise. The Sims for me (and I assume it is for many other fans) is more than a game to me, and is ingrained into my being. I have been a fan of it for over a decade now and even though I go through fits and starts of playing, I always check in on news. I SERIOUSLY hope that they aren't going to kill it.

Comments

• rafaeljonasrafaeljonas Posts: 227 Member
    I do not think we'll see a death of the game this year. I think we still have some expansions to the end, but I do not believe in the sims 5.
    The sims mobile did well in its release and has everything to last as long as the sims freeplay, but the PC version brings a depth that still can not be seen in a mobile game.
    Let's wait. The Sims 4 PC team is great and I think we'll still have good news by the end of the month.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    As long as it makes money, I doubt they'd kill it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I would rage quit if the PC iterations were killed off to become mobile apps. Especially after experiencing what I feel to be a flunk of The Sims Mobile. :s But I'm hopeful that they'll continue on.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    You're right to be worried. They should have started Sims 5 ages ago, and since it's confirmed they haven't, I doubt we'll see another Sims pc game in this decade. Unless another company makes a competitor game.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    The Sims Mobile is fairly enjoyable to play but it can NEVER, EVER be compared to the PC/Console version because its a mobile quest game. The PC game allows us to play any stories, to create anyone, to control everything. I have uninstalled the mobile version so I don't add to the active users.
    Aine wrote: »
    You're right to be worried. They should have started Sims 5 ages ago, and since it's confirmed they haven't, I doubt we'll see another Sims pc game in this decade. Unless another company makes a competitor game.

UGH I wish I was rich and I would but Maxis. Please Will Wright do something! Please another company buy TS! It would be a goldmine in the right hands.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Who has confirmed that TS5 is not in development?
  • CarolinaCanCarolinaCan Posts: 116 Member
    im just trying to enjoy the descent
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Aine wrote: »

This.

But I just don't see a competitor happening. I'm shocked and saddened by EA's money grabbing. I will never support another one of their games again. They don't care about fanbase. They really don't care about video games. All they care about is money. I'm out if mobile is the only choice.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member

The gurus, a number of times. They have also stated 4 is going to run longer than previous iterations, which quite frankly is a good thing, given how underwhelming the game currently is. Lack of them starting work on 5 doesn't confirm anything.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • storminmaystorminmay Posts: 137 Member
    I'm shocked and saddened by EA's money grabbing. I will never support another one of their games again. They don't care about fanbase. They really don't care about video games. All they care about is money. I'm out if mobile is the only choice.

Same. I'd be sorely disappointed if they switched to mobile-only, not to mention I think many companies are overestimating the mobile game market. Mobile devices can replace the need for a computer in many aspects...but gaming is not one of them.
    Origin/Gallery ID: storminmay

The Venegas-Chan Family Tree

The gurus, a number of times. They have also stated 4 is going to run longer than previous iterations, which quite frankly is a good thing, given how underwhelming the game currently is. Lack of them starting work on 5 doesn't confirm anything.

Thanks! But if you search Google for Sims 5 development you find several articles about rumors that it's coming soon.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

Thanks! But if you search Google for Sims 5 development you find several articles about rumors that it's coming soon.

Sure, but if you search Google for aliens you find several articles about rumours that they are coming soon.
    My favourite headline "Police arrest drunk 'time traveller' from 2048 warning of coming alien invasion".
    Not trying to burst your bubble, or anything, it's just that you can find rumours about pretty much everything on the internet.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...

Sure, but if you search Google for aliens you find several articles about rumours that they are coming soon.
    My favourite headline "Police arrest drunk 'time traveller' from 2048 warning of coming alien invasion".
    Not trying to burst your bubble, or anything, it's just that you can find rumours about pretty much everything on the internet.

You are completely right! But I still doubt that anything is "confirmed" about TS5 and I don't believe that the rather unpopular TS4 is going to last longer than previous iterations.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    The publisher seems to be fixated on their live service model and that is what makes EA the most profit. If they can somehow turn every single one of their games towards that, they eventually will be moving on in the future of their version of what gaming should be. The consumers gave them that idea from their continuous support because it is EA's most valuable asset. And they want to capitalize on it.

Anyway, The Sims will most likely never be the same again. During TS/TS2/TS3, for the most part, they cared about catering to everyone in the most broad but in-depth way possible and was passionate about the game they were creating. With TS4 it's always been in your face expensive for little-to-nothing overall meaningless content. The way I see it, a pure money grab with minimal to no effort to improve and advance the game and the genre it represents. But some of the consumers love TS so much they don't care and will continue to show EA that they are willing to be taken advantage of.

I would rather have no Sims game at all than a so-called wannabe Sims game that thrives on the less is more model and doesn't cater to everyone as was the case with TS/TS2/TS3. But if people enjoy paying so much extra for bits and pieces of content that still doesn't add up to TS2/TS3 gameplay, oh well. They turned a gold mine into a hoard of greed but that wouldn't be possible without the consumers so...no point complaining when one is a part of the problem, not the solution. Because EA most certainly doesn't hear you, they hear $$$.

I don't care about TS5 given the state how TS4 turned out. What an absolute waste of a such an unique game franchise. :s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member

LOL...this made me laugh. It is true! :lol:
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I tried The Sims Mobile, but didn’t like it. There was he annoying hot tub thing that took forever and I was disappointed to see that you can only do friendship OR romance with a sim, which is weird.
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    The Sims franchise hasn't been The Sims I first fell in love with some 18 years ago for a while now. Nothing that EA does surprises me because I'm a hardened cynic when it comes to the franchise (frankly, I have been since Katy Perry's endorsement in 3) by this point.

All that being said, let's say that they are planning on making The Sims a mobile only franchise. Okay, then what? Overwhelming uproar by consumers. The franchise's potential future as a mobile only game isn't a bright one. Mobile gaming isn't inherently bad, but one thing it isn't is deep and The Sims has always been about depth. Nobody can effectively storytell on a mobile and creativity is undeniably limited by the constraints of a mobile device. What I'm getting at is that even if they do make the jump to mobile only, it can't and won't last; there'll be an even bigger renaissance for Sims on PC.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member

It has not been confirmed as far as I know. But it is possible.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
    The Sims franchise hasn't been The Sims I first fell in love with some 18 years ago for a while now. Nothing that EA does surprises me because I'm a hardened cynic when it comes to the franchise (frankly, I have been since Katy Perry's endorsement in 3) by this point.

All that being said, let's say that they are planning on making The Sims a mobile only franchise. Okay, then what? Overwhelming uproar by consumers. The franchise's potential future as a mobile only game isn't a bright one. Mobile gaming isn't inherently bad, but one thing it isn't is deep and The Sims has always been about depth. Nobody can effectively storytell on a mobile and creativity is undeniably limited by the constraints of a mobile device. What I'm getting at is that even if they do make the jump to mobile only, it can't and won't last; there'll be an even bigger renaissance for Sims on PC.

I really hope you're right!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I do not think we'll see a death of the game this year. I think we still have some expansions to the end, but I do not believe in the sims 5.
    The sims mobile did well in its release and has everything to last as long as the sims freeplay, but the PC version brings a depth that still can not be seen in a mobile game.
    Let's wait. The Sims 4 PC team is great and I think we'll still have good news by the end of the month.

How many of The Sims 4 PC team are left though? Nobody knows.