Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If The Sims is only going to be a mobile game in the future then I am gone

Comments

• zellybeaniezellybeanie Posts: 51 Member
    Played The Sims Mobile for maybe three days straight when it was first released, then promptly lost interest. It just doesn't do it for me, and I'm really not into micro-transactions. I'd rather just pay for the game.

If they somehow paired it with The Sims 4 –a companion app of sorts, I'd be into it. Perhaps as a way to work on your sims' skills and/or relationships while you're away from your PC.
    My gameplay blog: http://zeedunsim.tumblr.com
  • kellzakellza Posts: 197 Member
    Same here. I've never had any interest in mobile or online only games :/
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    I play mobile games mostly ones from Japan, and I play online games now looking at the Sims mobile I will say this I won't play it it don't feel like a Sims game that I love to play on my PC so if they are going to push it all in Sims mobile I'll stay with Sims 3 and Sims 4.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I don't see mobile being a long term monetary win for EA. This seems bad decision making like SimCity 2013 and no toddlers at launch. I'm going to sit back and watch how this unfolds
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting that there are 57 replies to this thread so far including a couple of my own and not one player has said that they want to see a mobile game take over as the main game of the series.

I know that not everyone who plays The Sims comes to the forums or has even seen this thread but it is certainly clear that a mobile game is not exactly what players are asking for. What we are asking for is a decent PC game that is done properly, free from bugs and errors and actually provides enough enjoyment to keep us coming back and buying EPs for it every year. Not too much to ask for hopefully! :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am gone too. I have been mentally preparing myself ever since the announcement of Sims Mobile. I felt like we were not going to see a Sims 5 anytime soon and if so it would definitely be online. EA has been moving their company towards online microtranscations for a while now. The CEO even spoke about all EA games will have an online option. As we all know Sims 4 started down that road and was changed last minute because of the outrage. I expected them to make a second attempt.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited April 2018
    The good news is that if EA is too much silly to give up this Franchise, another company will make a better Sims game and correctly.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Aotearoa14Aotearoa14 Posts: 155 Member
    Won't play mobile. But anyway, Sims now is too . . . I dunno, kind of like going to school. All school-marmy and nudgy about how to live. Always rapping your knuckles and pretending it's still fun.
  • MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2018
    The sims Franchise lost me at Sims 4. I've been a hardcore simmer since the very beginning. there used to be this feeling where i couldnt wait to get home from my day to play previous releases of the sims. not just at a time when i bought a new DLC pack but even after some time when that DLC was released. the games were just genuine fun that never got boring, and you just couldnt wait to get back to them. Sorry, but there is nothing like that here for me in the Sims 4. i have spent time every single day online since the sims 4 release til now, just hoping for a new update, a new DLC, A new mod would vastly improve what the sims 4 is capable of and make me want to play it.

so i'm not someone who's completely gave up, i've always hoped that someone somewhere could make something happen with the sims 4 that would give me that old "i need to play this" feeling back. sadly, it's just not there. and now with the current news, it's likely that it never will be. but i'm still here hoping just as i was yesterday that something will change though i barely ever play the stupid game and would do anything to see a sims 3 revival with better art, better optimization and some added features from the sims 4 such as sims 4 style toddlers, sims 4 style vampires, some additions such as those that were made in parenthood. those and sims 4 Create-a-sim were the best parts of sims 4 for me, though sadly they just werent enough to make me wanna to endlessly play the game like the days long gone.

it's funny, i never cared about not having toddlers. vampires though i wanted them, weren't something i ever expected to really impress me. and parenthood was never even on my radar. im not much for the childhood stuff in my gameplay, and here i sit saying those were the best parts of the game. but they just weren't enough. the game still feels empty, but though i seek everyday to find redemption for the sims 4, it's just never there. and i'm really sick of all the stuff packs. we have enough c/c creators out there. i dont need your lower quality 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that you want us to pay for that add no dimension to the game.

so my thoughts on the actual topic of this thread...

I still have hopes for a future sims game to give me back what i long for though i doubt it will ever happen with sims 4.

Competition for the sims franchise is long overdue and perhaps it's time for some other devs to step up, since EA or maxis seems to have lost their touch. though i appreciate everything they have given me over the past umm... 18 years? maybe competition could do it better, or maybe competition could make them actually step up and try to better themselves. i always felt that though the sims franchise never has competition, the competition was actually with themselves. trying to compete with their previous games. that no longer seems the case, now it feels like rather than competiting with themselves to out do what they've done, they are more just cashing in on customer loyalty. people have always thought of the sims as a game that gets better with time, so we keep spending waiting for time to pass cause we know things will get better.
    it's now obvious that it hasnt and it wont.

I've had plenty of sims games on the mobile platform in the past and never found any of them satisfying. "The Sims Mobile" itself i had on my phone for awhile now but never really played it. the fact that i had it on my phone i suppose counts as a success. well after the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 storm that started yesterday, i have now uninstalled it and finally decided to rate the sims mobile. my rating was 1 star with the comment goodbye EA.

I always did whatever i could to help the franchise in the past, even if i didnt like something, i bought it anyway in hopes of a future sims 3, sims 4, sims 5 or whatever. not anymore. you took away my satisfaction, now your on your own.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'm with you, if it goes strictly mobile I'm done with the game which will be so sad because I've been playing Sims since 2001
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I am gone too. I have been mentally preparing myself ever since the announcement of Sims Mobile. I felt like we were not going to see a Sims 5 anytime soon and if so it would definitely be online. EA has been moving their company towards online microtranscations for a while now. The CEO even spoke about all EA games will have an online option. As we all know Sims 4 started down that road and was changed last minute because of the outrage. I expected them to make a second attempt.

And once again there is an outrage :disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I’ve worked on casual games before and I can tell you that to have a game actually make money on mobile platform is EXTREMELY hard and having a big IP such as the sims behind you is no guarantee at all. It’s true you can make a lot of money but that happens once in a million times lol EA is totally delusional if they think that’s how they’re gonna make money.

From a player’s point of view why would I spend 100 times more money on a game app that is far more limited than it’s counterpart on PC? Paying real cash to have my sim poop faster is simply not rewarding at all. It’s boring.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    @Jprp83 I agree with you that the Sims Mobile isn’t a game that EA can be sure ever will be as rewarding as the Sims Freeplay has been since it was released almost 7 years ago. The reason is that the Sims Mobile is too targeted at very young simmers and way too repetitive. “Just do as we tell you in the daily todo lists” isn’t interesting for long. So I won’t be surprised if EA after maybe only one year decides to not support the Sims Mobile anymore.

I play several free mobile games though and what wonders me most is that the game companies don’t make watching the adds more tempting. We need to be much more rewarded in the games for watching them - or we won’t very often do it. Some game companies seem to understand this. But most of them (including even EA) don’t seem to realize it.

The competition is very hard with about 10,000 games in each app store . So I agree that this isn’t easy. Therefore soft launching such games also has become more and more common.

But the idea to transfer mobile F2P games to PCs too has almost never been successful and the reason clearly seems to be that mobile F2P games only are meant to be played in very short sessions when we are on the go. The platforms are just too different and big paid games also don’t sell well for mobile devices because they can’t be played in short sessions anyway when we only have a few minutes.

EA will also realize this if EA hasn’t already.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I'm not going to play The Sims on mobile, ever.

I'm just sitting here thinking, where the days have gone when companies actually had passion for making games while making money was the secondary perk? If you make a game with no passion and do so exclusively to milk it for money and nothing more, then you shouldn't make games at all.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m only interested in this franchise when I can play it on my PC, in a bubble where nobody can reach me.

Sorry let me just say, I love this (wish I could react awesome to this 1000 times)
    Sims is ruined when it's played on any platform besides PC
  • ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    No mobile for me either. I am kinda tired of always being forced into mobile/online activities. From the closing of numerous brick and mortar storefronts, forcing people to shop more and more online, to digital downloads and mobile apps, I feel like we are headed for complete online life soon. While there are certainly advantages to this, there are a lot of people out there who cannot access the Internet/fancy mobile devices for numerous reasons.

I never downloaded my games digitally until sims 4. While I admit that it does make life a lot easier, if given the opportunity, I would prefer to just load a cd like I did for sims 1-3. Toggling between online and offline modes is kind of annoying.

As many said above, perhaps there is a chance that a competitor will step in and buy out the sims franchise...or start a whole new concept of their own. I was an avid Roller Coaster Tycoon player since day 1, and I can honestly say, the emergence of Planet Coaster from a competing game developer really breathed a new life into the game. RCT 1 through 3 were all pretty awesome, but, after 3, their products began to slide. I never even ended up buying RCT World because the reviews were horrific. Meanwhile, along came Planet Coaster, and it is amazing! I put far more time into that game than any of the others now, and it has definitely taken over some of my sims time too.

I have enjoyed Sims 4, and I am pleased with most of the content. While there are many features and gameplay that I think the game still lacks, the game has held my interest and I've had a lot of fun with it. But I do know that I am not quite as excited about new content being released as I was back in the days of sims 2 and sims 3. Back in those days, I sometimes even took a vacation day from work on release day to go buy the product. It was so exciting and it always took several days to really experience all the features that the new expansion had to offer. I am not quite feeling that with the sims 4. I usually wait til the weekend following release to download, and I feel like I can review most of the content fairly quickly, because so much is concentrated in a small amount of features/interactions. Even still, I enjoy the game and hope that we still have many more expansions to come.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hellu Simmers,

I've done a wee clean-up of this discussion :) I'll add here that I know the temptation is there for some to derail this thread (and other threads) but I'd ask you to be considerate of others and the thread topic. It's clear the derailment is not done with any malice but nonetheless it's disrespectful to the OP and others who are looking to converse about the potential of the next Sims game being mobile and how they may feel about that.

Top tip: If you find you want to discuss a topic and it's not relevant to the topic/conversation taking place, take a quick glance over the forum sections for threads that may already being hosting a topic you'd like to discuss and if not, create that thread and this should not only curb any derailment but create a space to have a conversation surrounding your unique discussion points.

Cheers

Lanna
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I will be devastated if Sims goes completely mobile. Sims just cannot be played that way. It will lose the depth and ability to storytell that keeps me going with the game.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I gave up on this game a while ago without even looking back and I'm glad I did. In light of recent news I'm more than happy to come back just so I can walk away... again.

They ruined this franchise just like most predicted they would. I hope some other company now steps up to the plate. It's needs it.

--T
  • Sanriel85Sanriel85 Posts: 362 Member
    Me to, but not just with The Sims but with ea in general.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I don’t play mobile games, I’ve tried the Sims Mobile and played it for a few days straight until I got bored of it, it really is just a repetitive, linear goal oriented mobile game, no real freedom to it. One thing I’m keeping in mind is that all of this is just rumours, there’s nothing confirmed about these rumours, and I really hope that that’s all this is, rumours.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I also don't play mobile games and won't, they have always been way to simple for me to enjoy. My brain doesn't like them.

I know seeing the franchise end/go to a place you don't enjoy isn't fun for long time fans. In fact it can be extremely frustrating and sad, but we will always have our older games that we do love. Maybe some people here can take some hope from that.
    I know that was what let me accept the direction of many other game franchises I've played and seen shift in a direction I didn't appreciate.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2018
    This was my biggest fear of the Sims' future is to follow in SimCity's footsteps and why I joined forums because of what was implied, "There will be no Sims 5 if the Sims 4 does not sell well." I do agree at this point of time there is no reassurance that the Sims is going to continue the PC route and Sims 5 on PC may not be an option anymore. So at this point, why did I bother joining forums then and why bother supporting the Sims 4 even further or even the Sims Mobile if this is going to happen anyways. I mean I knew that the Sims 4 was not being worked on as much anymore and neither was the console version. I'm ok with there being console and mobile options for Simmers, but not at the expense of the PC market. At this point, I think it is a waste of time talking about the Sims anymore. Its future doesn't seem hopeful and might be a good opportunity for competition to come in if this is going to be the fate of the PC market for the game. Sure it won't be easy, but it wasn't for SimCity either. There is a high enough demand for the PC market for a life simulation game though that it would be foolish for any company not to miss that opportunity to fill it in the gaming industry in that genre. I do think the Sims Mobile does offer more mature gameplay, which is what Simmers have been begging for from the Sims 4 for years. So not sure if it was intentional to make the PC game lack and give what was lacking in the PC game into the mobile version. All I know is for now, there are rumors and until Gurus clarify it, we really don't know what the future of the Sims holds both for the game and the company.

But not like the Sims 4 isn't profitable right now. From EA investors, "Live services net bookings were up 39% year on year, to $787 million. The increase was driven by Ultimate Team and The Sims 4. This was a record for the third quarter."

White the mobile division says, "Mobile delivered net bookings of $183 million, up 5% year on year, also a record for the
    third quarter. Year-on-year growth was driven by FIFA Mobile. "

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/6215479766x0x970023/5E677778-A269-455F-A592-40A45B0D59C7/Q3_FY18_Prepared_Remarks.pdf

I did experience a similar thing like this with Gaiaonline and when people said competition would never happen, it did. It was one of the best things to happen to that site and it is taken back by the original founders of the site now and doing much better. What they are having to do with that site is making the site more modern with updating coding, with communication, and looking at another engine besides Flash for their newer games. Seems like most games on PC now are using Unreal and Unity engines, so they are going to adapt to that. As far as VR being the future of the PC market with gaming, I don't think it is quite affordable for the average gamer now. I know Indie games are becoming popular, Steam is used a lot with games now, and both 2D and 3D games are equally loved now. Seems like graphics aren't the main focus for games, but the average game does have more modern graphics than what the Sims games offer, but options in gameplay seem to be what players are looking for in games. It's been really interesting seeing a lot of games get into psychological backstories with their games which has been providing gamers with a much more deeper understanding about life when playing the games and even brings some heart and relatability with some players. Thanks to Twitch though, there are a lot of gaming options and I can relate to others in that I'm finding things I like about the Sims in other games whether it is building, farming, fishing, watching a family of humans or animals grow, or destroying the surroundings in a game. Sims was just unique in bringing this all together, but if the PC game is to end, there are game options out there. There just may not all come together in one game.

For now, the future is uncertain, but if the Sims goes the MMO route, VR, or Mobile only route, I'm not interested and will seek business elsewhere. Until then, I will enjoy playing as a pirate, getting invisible piranhas spawned on me, knocking out enemies with a shield, and real life adventures. I'm done waiting for the Sims only to come back to disappointment and speculations of things endings. For all I know this could be a prank like the Sims 5 joke which I admit was funny and I knew about it being a joke, so when it comes to Sims news, I don't trust all sources of it. I am curious though if Gaiaonline could provide a life simulation game like the Sims. I guess it is something for me to ask since I do know they have a housing system, a fishing system, marriage system, and a creation system already in place. Well I just asked the CEO, so I shall see, no promises. I mean it is still 2D, but if the Sims doesn't exist on PC anymore, Gaiaonline may experience an increase in membership. Anyway, I know if there ever is a gap in this genre, Simmers will make sure to fill it somehow whether it is reaching to other companies or coming together to make their own game. The game may be killed off, but the community will somehow survive even if it means migrating elsewhere together.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited April 2018
    Where is the proof that there will never be another PC game in the Sims series? I read the two Sims VIP articles that seem to be on this topic, and they are very fishy to me. They just say "our sources" without ever saying who that is.
    We’ve just received information from sources familiar with current events at Maxis that multiple Sims 4 Gurus have been laid off from EA, and others have joined The Sims Mobile.

According to one source, EA has stated that budget cuts and other financial structuring is to blame, and others have stated that EA is shifting towards a mobile gaming structure for The Sims since mobile games are currently a money maker for EA.

We have also been shown evidence of a fractured EA-Maxis relationship which has caused development problems within the studio recently. There’s no telling where this leaves The Sims 4 in the long run, but these events are obviously not great news for the series.

I've bolded the part of this quote from Sims VIP which is relevant to this thread. (The staff-related sections are off topic but I have included them here simply to show that most of the claims in this article are also hearsay.) I'm sorry, but a website saying "others have stated" is just engaging in a game of telephone. Now all I have to say is "Sims VIP stated" and my claim sounds verified, but where does the buck stop?

ETA: I know that there is someone claiming to be a former SimGuru posting on reddit, but they're not saying anything a pessimistic Simmer wouldn't easily be able to fabricate. That line about Will Wright is especially fishy to me - that's a line often trotted out by Simmers who didn't like TS3 or TS4.