Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Rating Would You Give The Sims 4 at Launch?

This thread is inspired by @simgirl1010 thread that asks active players of the Sims 4 what rating they would give the game. Link to that thread can be found right here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/938382/for-those-actively-playing-the-sims-4#latest

This thread is asking those who voted in that pole (basically asking active players of The Sims 4 again) what rating would you give the game at its launch?

What Rating Would You Give The Sims 4 at Launch? 119 votes

1/10
16%
nickibitswardBluefairy286Colorist40overonWritin_RegEvil_Onekeekee53Bagoas77trashbinsouvenirgamekittenAnthonydyertaydevMezinkaFinvolacatitude5cactusjuiceprincess_kaguyaSihuPeanutButterSims2002TheIntrovertSimmer 20 votes
2/10
22%
CK213GoldmoldarErpeJessa_Dakkardespina53WillowG145elanorbretonGoldenBuffyAnmirlaJessabeansmortiaChelleJogeoffreypacece15624AlbaWaterhousecheifeagleeyesof2106MidnightAuraBreazonakeylimepiesims 27 votes
3/10
10%
Omri147bbeatifulboyKatiardguezBMSOlucyshawjames64468StrawberryYogurttinacolada00Simsfan99111agustdPninaSimmerhotrodmum57historynerd 13 votes
4/10
21%
shellbemeElokaLustianiciaSk8rblazePegasysemperorq52lulubadwolfbixtersdoogeriexitneverendssFrancl27Internal_ChaosshnailehSteve StormLisablazeloutredorMort_OpalLilMsMystic160OxanaPihlajamaafilipomel 25 votes
5/10
13%
PlayLomelindi7SimQueenie9SeraphicPinkfruitsbasket101zagboorulesDragonCat159Neechan1PiinkbunnieSo_Moneycrazycat_135BooDaBoo5Evilyn_1007ItsJanierAmylsimsJessicthulhu 16 votes
6/10
5%
Sim2SporeCassandra52182Sanriel85cale2003CoteDAzurBrindletonAmandèle 7 votes
7/10
4%
alan650111simgirl1010sillyangel0906EnkiSchmidtjohnvincent0021 5 votes
8/10
2%
JennyggBlueSeaWavesfiercephoenix91 3 votes
9/10
0%
elelunicy 1 vote
10/10
1%
HermitgirlTheGoodOldGamer 2 votes

Comments

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    4/10
    Today I would give the game about an 8.5, but at launch I despised the game, hence why I voted for such a low score. I believe they really fixed the game through its updates but also through its packs. Packs like Parenthood, City Living, and Cats and Dogs I just can't play without at this point because it adds certain aspects to the game that I completely adore.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    2/10
    It has to be a low score, it was so, so terrible at launch. It was like they had released an unfinished game, I get chills whenever I see those white world maps.

Now I would vote around a 6 or 7, it’s certainly improved since then!
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    4/10
    I stopped playing after a week, lol.
  • Mort_OpalMort_Opal Posts: 55 Member
    4/10
    When it came out, I was sorely disappointed. So many things were just gone. It felt like we went back to 2000 with the number of features taken away (even though when the original sims debuted in 2000, it had pools).

Now I feel like it is around a 7 or an 8 out of 10. Hopefully, they keep improving it!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    5/10
    I think I should have voted for 4/10, because although it keeps the formula of what primary makes a life simulator a life simulator (hence why I rated half of the max scale), the -1 goes for the overwhelming amount of content that was omitted that existed within the sims franchise before TS4 appearance. So ignore the fact that I voted for "5", when I meant to click the choice "4".
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Do you only want currently active sims 4 players to answer or anyone?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    4/10
    I'd say it deserved this score. I wouldn't rate it much more today, either.

It just didn't add enough to the franchise, and what it did add has been disappointing or lackluster. They often come up with good ideas, such as Jungle Adventure, but execution is just terrible. For instance, Salvadorada only features a few temple variations (unlike being procedurally generated like we were led on to believe), and in each temple, you're watching your Sim take notes and engage in a system that has been recycled over three times since Get to Work. Terribly boring and horribly designed. To make matters worse, the world looks absolutely gorgeous, but the functionality extends no further than gates you cut down for a chance card pop-up and piles of dirt on the ground.

Looks pretty, functions miserably. That's The Sims 4.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    It was really a very disappointing and painfully limited, empty game in the beginning. It did improve, but at what cost? A lot of money and it clearly still isn't there, according to all the comments when someone dares to mention a Sims 5 ("They still have so much to add to Sims 4 for it to be complete!"). Comparing, a few months from now in 2013 they announced Sims 4. That made perfect sense back then, Sims 3 felt complete (even when 2 more EP's would follow after the announcement).

(not voting obviously)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    1/10
    I remember opening it and being shocked at how much it looked like SimCity 2013 crossed with a Facebook game
  • SihuSihu Posts: 73 Member
    1/10
    Even though I was a big fan of the sims it took me months before I buy it because it seemed to weird and empty, and lacking of so many important features. I started to play when get together came out.
    So before I would have give it 1/10 but today with all the updates and packs I find it much better even though still not perfect. (7/10)
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    4/10
    Wow I didn't realise a few others had the same rating in mind of 4
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2018
    I don’t even remember launch. Pretty sure I bought it after a year and a half.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    4/10
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Well this is the internet, anyone can voice their opinion.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    9/10
    I’m someone who likes The Sims for its simulation aspect, not the creation aspect. I also much prefer watching Sims doing their own things, instead of controlling them. What I care the most is how the game simulates Sims on a fundamental level (from their expressions/postures/movements to awareness of their surroundings and how they interact with the objects and the Sims around them, without control from my part) and how the game simulates the situations they are in (the game needs to be able utilize the Sims and create believable situations such as a party, a gym, a nightclub, or even just a sidewalk of a neighborhood). For me TS4 was truly a generational leap over the older games like TS2/TS3 and their much more basic simulation. I liked TS4 for this reason when it launched, and I still like the game for the same reason. None of the packs or updates changed my opinion of TS4 by much at all as the core simulation remained largely the same.

I’m taking one point off as TS4 launched with only 32-bit version, which was absolutely disastrous. I nearly quit the game as my games crashed like hundreds of times prior to the arrival of the 64-bit version.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    (for me the simulation aspect is just as important as the creation aspect but it fell short in that respect as well; and sims that just talk all the time isn’t my idea of sims doing their own things, also in that respect the former games did a better job)
    filipomel wrote: »
    True, but it would be kind of interesting to compare the outcome of this poll and the other poll (where I can understand why only players that actively play are allowed to participate)(which is why I didn’t do the poll)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited April 2018
    2/10
    In the present and in that other pole the OP linked to, I scored it a 5/10. But when the game launched, it was a massive let down for me. It had nothing, only aesthetics. Plus the gurus didn't help with their misleading comments and actively avoided confrontation as much as possible and not acknowledging the fact that the game was utterly INCOMPLETE/UNFINISHED. They also kind of put the blame on the players and the whole thing was a humongous mess. I have very bitter memories of those months.

No pools, no ghosts, no toddlers, not many interactions, no family play, babies as objects, teens as adults, tiny neighbourhoods, no NPCs, loading screens, no colour wheel, no cars or any other method of transportation, sims being plummer than ever, everything being so silly, very few careers. I won't continue because it is depressing to think about it.

I gave it a 2 and not a 1 because of... honestly I don't know, I guess a general love of The Sims games?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    2/10
    I don’t know what rating I would give it today because I haven’t played it in a couple of years. But I bought it at launch and it looked like a way too simplified game targeted only at new simmers and not like a continuation of the series.

I didn’t give up easily though and bought both the first GP and the first EP too to get a better feeling about the game. But then it only became more clear that this wasn’t a game for me. EA later tried to repair it a little by adding toddlers. But this didn’t fix the fact that the game was too simplified and with way too much focus on happy partying, multitasking and collecting items instead of being a life simulation about raising a family and creating interesting stories about relationships between different sims and between different families. So I just had to give up anyway.

If I started playing it again I likely would buy Jungle Adventures. But likely not anything else because this game isn’t my type of Sims game at all.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    7/10
    I deducted 3 points for no toddlers, no pools, and no color wheel.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    5/10
    Yesterday or that day before, out all simming videos could have pop, LGR's Two Years of Meh pop up and the nail it hits in that video is still relevant to the present date.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    3/10
    At launch it was missing a lot of key features and still is today. As an active simmer I'm giving it's launch a 3/10 because the only thing it had going for it at the time was CAS. It's still kind of watered down in my opinion but not as lacking as it was on launch day. I didn't buy it until GTW was released with it.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    7/10
    Back then I gave it a seven. I didn't vote in the other poll, because I cannot judge what an unmodded Sims 4 would be like.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    filipomel wrote: »

I was just trying to be respectful to the polls intention :)
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    4/10
    I'd say 4/10 because of the lack of content at launch. The game was very bare bones content wise, and the gameplay was a downgrade from the Sims 3, and the new emotions system was underwhelming. It was probably the worst base game in the Sims series. In 2018, The Sims 4 is a solid 6/10, not amazing, but better than it was at launch.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited April 2018
    2/10
    There were some cool new features in build mode and CAS is really nice. But besides all that the game was incredibly lacking in the beginning. They added some nice things which would up my rating a few points, but I still wouldn't give it more than 5/10 now. While I really enjoy building (even though we do lack a lot in that part) as a whole game with everything that is included I don't find it enough. I detest going into Live Mode. Too much recycled basegame stuff, too many bugs, not enough to do, etc.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    2/10
    bixters wrote: »
    I'd say 4/10 because of the lack of content at launch. The game was very bare bones content wise, and the gameplay was a downgrade from the Sims 3, and the new emotions system was underwhelming. It was probably the worst base game in the Sims series. In 2018, The Sims 4 is a solid 6/10, not amazing, but better than it was at launch.
    I agree I could not play more than 30 minutes w/o getting bored for a lot of features was missing and I know for SIms 3 some features showed up later but I had more fun in Sims 3 base game than Sims 4. I gave it an 2 because like you said it was bare bones and not exiting. Right now for me it is 5 or 6 and no higher and with the contrversy with MFSP it does not make things any better for me for it is the first pack I have not brought and will not buy any others that continues the controversy.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen