Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cars In The Sims 4?

Imaginativ3Imaginativ3 Posts: 51 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I posted this on another forum and thought I'd add it here as well. :):)

So I was sleeping one day and I just started thinking about cars in the Sims 4 and coming up with ideas about how they would work (while half asleep I should mention). Anyway, I decided to share my thoughts. Let me know what you think and also any ideas you have. Just a warning, this is quite long.

Cars would work very similarly to how they work in the Sims 2. You would need a driveway to be able to place the cars (obviously) and a sim would get in the car which would then back into the street or teleport into the street & drive away.

Travelling
When you want to go somewhere, you can either use the phone like you do normally, or you can click on your car and the same options would come up as you have when you use the phone. However, there would be some extra options with the car such as:
  • Go for a drive - sims would disappear off the lot for a few hours and come back in a good mood with their needs maxed.
  • Drive to work - sims would get in the car and drive off the lot to go to work.
  • Take to school - sims can drive their kids to school (sims get an increase in relationships)
  • Woohoo - pretty self explanatory ;);)
  • Work on - sims with handiness skills can work on their cars (e.g. check tires, check oil, customize etc) although lower handiness skills result in terrible consequences that may need to be fixed by a real professional.
  • Service - alternatively, sims can take their cars to be serviced/fixed at a garage.
  • Wash - cars will get dirty over time and will need to be washed. There are two options with this:
Sims can wash their cars at a car wash (they get in the car and disappear for a while, returning with a clean car - and fewer simoleons).

Sims can wash the car themselves (or get their kids to do it as punishment) Friends/household members could join in and it will give an increase in relationships.

Gameplay Options
Having cars in the game could also be a chance to bring back a much needed aspect from the Sims 3 - grocery shopping. Not everyone wants or likes to forage for ingredients.There could be an option to go grocery shopping when you click on the car.

The sim gets in the car and disappears for a while. As in the Sims 3, a menu will appear listing all the food/houshold items available to purchase from the grocery store. You sim then returns with these in their inventory and an option to put away groceries will become available.

Having cars in the game could also be a way to bring back the danger aspect. Cars like in the Sims 2 will need alarms or they can be stolen by robbers. Cars could also catch fire or explode if someone with no handiness skill tries to fix or customize them - resulting in the need for firefighters to come and put the blaze out - and also issue your sims a large fine for public endangerment.

Events/Venues
  • Lot venues such as a drive in movie theater could be added.
  • Also, sims could host tailgate parties to celebrate sporting events (this would be really fun for when University comes along).
Logistics - How it would work in-game
  • Sims require a driveway before they can place a car. For obvious reasons sims living in San Myshuno cannot have cars.
  • When a sim uses the car, they arrive at their destination the same way they would if they had used the phone. However, there will be a notification stating that money has been deducted from their funds for parking (nothing much maybe 10 or 20 simoleons).
  • Unlike the Sims 3, the car won't be in the sim's inventory. Instead, there will be a set of car keys in the sim's inventory which you can click on and it will give the option to drive home/drive home with... or travel someplace else.
  • Cars will also have their own inventories where you can place objects.
  • Having a car will also unfortunately mean higher bills (insurance, gas/petrol etc.)
Pets
  • Pets could take a drive with their owners (and the relationship is increased)
  • Cats could curl up and sleep/nap on the hood or roof of cars
  • Pets could play in the suds while their owners wash the car
Seasons
When we do get Seasons, the weather would also affect your car (e.g. after heavy snow, you would have to shovel your driveway in order to use your car or again, get your kids to do it).

Careers
Along with cars, there would be a few careers to go with them such as:
  • Mechanic (active career)
  • Driving Instructor (rabbit hole career)
  • Automotive Designer (rabbit hole/work from home)
  • Car Salesman (rabbit hole)
  • Dealership Owner (business)
Kids/Teens
  • Kids could get in the cars and pretend to drive
  • They could help their parents wash the cars
  • Toddlers will need car seats. You can simply buy a car seat in buy mode then place it in the car's inventory. Of course parents can ignore this but doing so creates an opportunity for a random chance card where the parents will be stopped by the police and issued a hefty fine.
  • Sims (both parents & toddlers) will get a positive moodlet (safe driving) from having a car seat. Also, if you have Parenthood - a car seat will boost a toddler & child's responsibility, as children often imitate their parents' behaviour both good and bad.
Teenagers need to be taught to drive. Like in the Sims 3, an adult could teach a teen to drive. They would both get in the car and disappear for a few hours. There would also be chance cards that would affect whether the experience is a negative or a positive one. Negative experience would affect the relationship as well as the teenager's driving skill progression.

Teens without a permit could also sneak behind their parents' backs and go for a joy ride. They could do it alone or invite a friend or friends along. Again, they would get in the car and drive off the lot and disappear for a few hours. However, there would be chance cards that would affect whether it is sucessful or not (e.g. one negative outcome would be that they get pulled over by the police and get brought home in a police car).

Last but not least - The Fixer Upper Car would return and sims could work on it either alone or they could do it with friends/kids ect. Also, the fixer upper car would come in a few different models like:
  • a muscle car
  • a cadillac
  • a classic car
  • a sloppy jalopy - which a teen could fix up and use as their first car once they get their license
Post edited by Imaginativ3 on

Comments

• Options
    kappowankappowan Posts: 2 New Member
    I love this idea. I have really missed cars. They could also ad bicycles for the environment friendly and motorbikes for anyone feeling a bit reckless
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I like your points goodness I really miss cars and include woohoo in cars lol.
  • Options
    rafaeljonasrafaeljonas Posts: 227 Member
    I loved that idea. Mostly the solution for sun myshuno!
  • Options
    kappowan wrote: »
    I love this idea. I have really missed cars. They could also ad bicycles for the environment friendly and motorbikes for anyone feeling a bit reckless

Agreed, I would love bicycles & motorbikes. Can imagine one of my sims having a midlife crisis and buying a sportsbike or a motorcycle. Also, hybrid or electric cars would be nice too.
  • Options
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    I like your points goodness I really miss cars and include woohoo in cars lol.

Can't believe I forgot that. *smacks face with palm* Yes definitely!!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I posted this on another forum and thought I'd add it here as well. :):)

So I was sleeping one day and I just started thinking about cars in the Sims 4 and coming up with ideas about how they would work (while half asleep I should mention). Anyway, I decided to share my thoughts. Let me know what you think and also any ideas you have. Just a warning, this is quite long.

Cars would work very similarly to how they work in the Sims 2. You would need a driveway to be able to place the cars (obviously) and a sim would get in the car which would then back into the street or teleport into the street & drive away.

Travelling
    When you want to go somewhere, you can either use the phone like you do normally, or you can click on your car and the same options would come up as you have when you use the phone. However, there would be some extra options with the car such as:
    • Go for a drive - sims would disappear off the lot for a few hours and come back in a good mood with their needs maxed.
    • Drive to work - sims would get in the car and drive off the lot to go to work.
    • Take to school - sims can drive their kids to school (sims get an increase in relationships)
    • Woohoo - pretty self explanatory ;);)
    • Work on - sims with handiness skills can work on their cars (e.g. check tires, check oil, customize etc) although lower handiness skills result in terrible consequences that may need to be fixed by a real professional.
    • Service - alternatively, sims can take their cars to be serviced/fixed at a garage.
    • Wash - cars will get dirty over time and will need to be washed. There are two options with this:
    Sims can wash their cars at a car wash (they get in the car and disappear for a while, returning with a clean car - and fewer simoleons).

Sims can wash the car themselves (or get their kids to do it as punishment) Friends/household members could join in and it will give an increase in relationships.

Gameplay Options
    Having cars in the game could also be a chance to bring back a much needed aspect from the Sims 3 - grocery shopping. Not everyone wants or likes to forage for ingredients.There could be an option to go grocery shopping when you click on the car.

The sim gets in the car and disappears for a while. As in the Sims 3, a menu will appear listing all the food/houshold items available to purchase from the grocery store. You sim then returns with these in their inventory and an option to put away groceries will become available.

Having cars in the game could also be a way to bring back the danger aspect. Cars like in the Sims 2 will need alarms or they can be stolen by robbers. Cars could also catch fire or explode if someone with no handiness skill tries to fix or customize them - resulting in the need for firefighters to come and put the blaze out - and also issue your sims a large fine for public endangerment.

Events/Venues
    • Lot venues such as a drive in movie theater could be added.
    • Also, sims could host tailgate parties to celebrate sporting events (this would be really fun for when University comes along).
    Logistics - How it would work in-game
    • Sims require a driveway before they can place a car. For obvious reasons sims living in San Myshuno cannot have cars.
    • When a sim uses the car, they arrive at their destination the same way they would if they had used the phone. However, there will be a notification stating that money has been deducted from their funds for parking (nothing much maybe 10 or 20 simoleons).
    • Unlike the Sims 3, the car won't be in the sim's inventory. Instead, there will be a set of car keys in the sim's inventory which you can click on and it will give the option to drive home/drive home with... or travel someplace else.
    • Cars will also have their own inventories where you can place objects.
    • Having a car will also unfortunately mean higher bills (insurance etc.)
    Pets
    • Pets could take a drive with their owners (and the relationship is increased)
    • Cats could curl up and sleep/nap on the hood or roof of cars
    • Pets could play in the suds while their owners wash the car
    Seasons
    When we do get Seasons, the weather would also affect your car (e.g. after heavy snow, you would have to shovel your driveway in order to use your car or again, get your kids to do it).

Careers
    Along with cars, there would be a few careers to go with them such as:
    • Mechanic (active career)
    • Driving Instructor (rabbit hole career)
    • Automotive Designer (rabbit hole/work from home)
    • Car Salesman (rabbit hole)
    • Dealership Owner (business)
    Kids/Teens
    • Kids could get in the cars and pretend to drive
    • They could help their parents wash the cars
    • Toddlers will need car seats. You can simply buy a car seat in buy mode then place it in the car's inventory. Of course parents can ignore this but doing so creates an opportunity for a random chance card where the parents will be stopped by the police and issued a hefty fine.
    • Sims (both parents & toddlers) will get a positive moodlet (safe driving) from having a car seat. Also, if you have Parenthood - a car seat will boost a toddler & child's responsibility, as children often imitate their parents' behaviour both good and bad.
    Teenagers need to be taught to drive. Like in the Sims 3, an adult could teach a teen to drive. They would both get in the car and disappear for a few hours. There would also be chance cards that would affect whether the experience is a negative or a positive one. Negative experience would affect the relationship as well as the teenager's driving skill progression.

Teens without a permit could also sneak behind their parents' backs and go for a joy ride. They could do it alone or invite a friend or friends along. Again, they would get in the car and drive off the lot and disappear for a few hours. However, there would be chance cards that would affect whether it is sucessful or not (e.g. one negative outcome would be that they get pulled over by the police and get brought home in a police car).

Last but not least - The Fixer Upper Car would return and sims could work on it either alone or they could do it with friends/kids ect. Also, the fixer upper car would come in a few different models like:
    • a muscle car
    • a cadillac
    • a classic car
    • a sloppy jalopy - which a teen could fix up and use as their first car once they get their license

All good but also sims should be able to cuddle and makeout in cars and a car types should also include sports cars like convertables and normal everyday cars like sedans eg something like a small Ford Focus.
  • Options
    Also drive in movie theaters our sims could go to and watch a movie from their car and even order popcorn and beverages. Imagine your two sims cuddling together in the car while watching the movie.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Looks good to me I really wish they had just took the extra time to have cars in the game from the get go.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Yasss we need this. I kind hope this is the BIG free update of 2018, well if we do get one hopefully. One thing I don't see happening for every world, because of the lack of road, is them backing up. I kind of just see them getting in the car then loading screen, but hopefully they could make backing up work in some worlds.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited April 2018
    Many of your ideas are good. I think the most reasonable way to store a car when visiting community/friend's lots is how it was implemented in Sims 2. Have them simply park in the street. San Myshuno could be a little difficult, and the car can be placed in the street or a parking garage. I would not want to pay for parking... that would drive me nuts.

But other than that, you have some great ideas on cars. It would be neat to bring back grocery shopping.
  • Options
    Many of your ideas are good. I think the most reasonable way to store a car when visiting community/friend's lots is how it was implemented in Sims 2. Have them simply park in the street. San Myshuno could be a little difficult, and the car can be placed in the street or a parking garage. I would not want to pay for parking... that would drive me nuts.

But other than that, you have some great ideas on cars. It would be neat to bring back grocery shopping.

Actually, I really disliked the parking system from Sims 2 & thats why I came up with this idea for parking. I always thought my Sims cars looked weird just parked up on the side of the road. Also, with the way the neighbourhood surroundings are set up in Sims 4, parking on the street doesn't seem feasible.

In regards to paying for parking, its not such an annoyance. If you remember in the Sims 2, taxis cost money. Every time you wanted to go to a community lot, you had to pay money for a taxi if you didn't have a car.

A lot of people think the game needs to be more challenging. Some complaints are that - the game is too easy & players run out of stuff to do. I remember in the Sims 1, it was very hard for your sims to become rich - like really hard. Having cars cost money would help make it harder to accumulate money thus making the game a little bit more difficult.
  • Options
    Just an FYI parking spaces were recently added to one of the packs. Yes their décor now but the could probably be coded for when cars comes.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't see them adding "working" roads to old worlds any more than them adding swimming to old worlds oceans. They don't backup.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    In regards to paying for parking, its not such an annoyance. If you remember in the Sims 2, taxis cost money. Every time you wanted to go to a community lot, you had to pay money for a taxi if you didn't have a car.

I never knew you had to pay for taxis. I'll have to take a look at that in the game.
  • Options
    I remember calling for a taxi, but I don't remember paying for one.
  • Options

I never knew you had to pay for taxis. I'll have to take a look at that in the game.

Oops, sorry. It was the Sims 1 you had to pay not the sims 2.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Your ideas are pretty good but most of the worlds we have don't support space for any vehicles (or are even near a road or street) and since updating the environments of worlds already made would be something the devs wouldn't want to do (barring adding in seasons), adding in cars that makes sense are up in the air.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    CocoapugsCocoapugs Posts: 70 Member
    Great idea OP
  • Options
    WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    I think EA uses the marketing strategy in which they do not include car in the base pack so that they might sell another pack that includes car for like $19.99. Nice try!
  • Options
    If we got cars as a skill object (not a transportation object), we could create a drive-in movie theater and fast food drive-in like Sonic.
  • Options
    Your ideas are pretty good but most of the worlds we have don't support space for any vehicles (or are even near a road or street) and since updating the environments of worlds already made would be something the devs wouldn't want to do (barring adding in seasons), adding in cars that makes sense are up in the air.

While it would be nice for the cars to be able to back into the street, having them just simply disappear off the driveway would be fine too. With the exception of things like tailgate parties & drive in movies, I tried to come up with ideas that seemed feasible for the game ee currently have.

Cars are basically the same as any other object that can be interacted with. There doesn't really seem to be anything major you need to do with a car that would require a massive overhaul or complete update of the environment.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I like the idea and it could possibly open the door to other forms of transportation like an L-line, subway, or bus? Especially, in San Myshuno.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options

Cars can still happen. The game could use the teleport system however I would want an option for the in car animations.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If we got cars as a skill object (not a transportation object), we could create a drive-in movie theater and fast food drive-in like Sonic.

I've suggested to EA they also add actual drive ins when or if we get cars.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited April 2018

Cars can still happen. The game could use the teleport system however I would want an option for the in car animations.

But the teleport system is a cop-out, as can be seen in the CL elevators and C&D boats. We might as well continue to keep everything as is if all cars do is teleport Sims from A to B. If we get real functioning car-objects, I'd like to see the notion of driving them too. Just some places could never work with a vehicle regardless.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png