Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Do You Love The Sims 2?

Comments

• lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited April 2018
    Because 2 is not just a simulation game, it's a sandbox.

As example, you want to play two different family, one who likes technologies, have the latest tv/car/computer ? You can. Then play the other as sims who hates technologies, don't have computer or tv and just garden to eat or create their own clothes ? you can.
    On 3 you can play a sims who avoid technologies but you can't create your own cloth (What for ? Every clothes are already in the cheapest closet you can afford), and same for food, even if you don't have the ingredients, you can still cook (but there is a mod for that at least).
    And 4 ... You can't avoid technologies (because every sims seems to be born with a phone in their pocket) same for food, you can't even send your sims to a grocery store just to simulate the need of ingredient to be able to cook.

And in 2, you can create 10 subhood, it won't be problematic. In 3 (and mostly) 4 i often ended up saying "Where i am going to put these sims ? There is no places left !"

For me it's :
    Sims 2: 50% simulation, 50% sandbox
    Sims 3: 70% simulation, 30% Sandbox
    Sims 4: 90% simulation, 10% Sandbox
    In 4 it's like i'm locked in EA's way of playing the game, and their way of playing is not like my playing style.

Of course, 3 and 4 are good games (the sims 4 toddlers are the best imo, same for the vampire), but i rather play a game that says "Go one, you can do what you want. Building flat ? No problem !" than "Nope, you can't do that. I'm not design for this, but hey look ! I have already have some premade flat that you can't edit, move or destroy :smiley: "
    Post edited by lulubadwolf on
  • rhubarbcustardcolarhubarbcustardcola Posts: 3 New Member
    I think a lot of what has been said already sums it up beautifully, but I'll say it again, and add more.

It's just the sheer amount of care and thought that went into TS2 that makes it stand out more than anything.

I was playing TS4 earlier, and I started a goldigger character the other day, who married for money, then divorced and took everything before moving on to the next partner. Just when I was playing earlier, I got a text from my ex-husband's ex-wife (I convinced him to leave her and caused him to cheat with me right in front of her) congratulating me on my new marriage! She didn't hate me or remotely dislike me at all. Not only that, but even though my "romance bar" with my ex husband was at full red, he still would want to hang out and he still responded positively to romantic advances - even though I had destroyed his life and cheated on him right in front of him!

I just feel like this would never happen in TS2. You could actually genuinely make real enemies in TS2, and the sims would respond to betrayals and such, instead of just going "Oh ok" like they seem to do in TS4.

Plus, I got bored of my goldigger character so, so quickly. I was able to marry into the richest family within an hour of gameplay, and the thing is, it just didn't feel any different to playing any other play style, or any other household. Every household feels the same, always. No play style ever feels truly different.

And the moodlets thing, oh man, that was so annoying. I specifically tried to make my character cold-blooded and evil, giving them the evil trait and such, but they kept insisting on crying and being sad over the divorce for a marriage that lasted less than 24 hours, and it actively hampered my gameplay because the sim didn't want to do anything other than "cry it out". It's impossible to make a truly evil or heartless character in TS4.

I could go on and on, but I think my example says it all really.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    While I love TS2 and enjoy playing it still... I don't think all the packs have as much detail added to them. Magic added to Apartment life was such a half done job and lame.
    The werewolves- what's so great? They howl, eat a lot, stay up all night- plus walk funny. Yay...
    Can't sell everything... Why not be able to sell aspiration/career rewards.

It wasn't and still isn't nearly perfect. :(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    While I love TS2 and enjoy playing it still... I don't think all the packs have as much detail added to them. Magic added to Apartment life was such a half done job and lame.
    The werewolves- what's so great? They howl, eat a lot, stay up all night- plus walk funny. Yay...

I love TS2 but you are right, it's not perfect. I so wish TS2 had TS4 vampires and all their powers and I would love to have the CAS options TS4 gave players concerning vampires can look normal then change into their dark, evil side. That was a big plus as far as playing vamps who could be immune to sun or not, and have many more powers than TS2 gave them. And they can bite without having to ask a Sim, so that was huge deal for me. lol >:) I wish someone would make a mod that could add all that TS4 vampire stuff) to TS2. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    Because, I love, love, love it. The soundtrack and game experience. Cheating destroys friendships and families. Everyone in town knows your flirting. You can go to university and your significant other's friends will slap you for cheating. It's like real life, whoever you're dating or married to will get the 411 on your business :D. Non-commital sims will fall in love on their own and never draw a cheating card. Everything is unpredictable in the game. I love the drama >:)
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Of course it's not perfect. I do agree about life state. When i see what they've done with vampire/alien in 3 or 4, i definitively think that they are better. Alien don't do much in 2, and vampire (even if i absolutely hate the disco vampire we had in 3) are ridiculously affected by sunlight (no, a vampire should not die because of sunlight in a room without windows ...) at least in 3 and 4 they have special abilities.
    i like witches in 2 (the spell are good, same for potion) but i've always hated the evil/neutral/good witch stuff, everything is not just black or white, you can be lovely with your friend and really evil with someone you don't like.
    And werewolves ... well, i had only 2 werewolves in my entire sims 2 games because i've found them boring.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    When I read all your comments, I see how I'm a beginner in TS2. There's so much things to explore.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Iodum99Iodum99 Posts: 6 New Member
    Definitely the humour it had with goofy animations/behaviour combined with interesting worlds and all Sims' connections in them!
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    When the kids run in with their report cards or to greet a parent back from work. The little 'eww' shivers when they pass someone they don't find attractive. And I love how they'll occasionally look at you like urgh why do I have to clean the toilet :lol:
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    MrJessXD wrote: »
    ...And I love how they'll occasionally look at you like urgh why do I have to clean the toilet :lol:

I LOVE that. From what's been said around here and elsewhere, a lot of people find that "creepy" though I don't know why. I think it's really endearing. I really love it when they gaze pitifully at you, and point at themselves when you force a sim to do something that is a little against their nature, like making a sloppy sim clean the toilet as you said, or force a shy sim to go and dance in front of people.
    I also love when you direct a mean sim to go and perform a mean interaction on another sim, how they look at you and give this evil laugh and rub their hands together.

Those are the little things that show how much care and love went into Sims 2. It's a shame that little things like that were dropped from TS3 onwards, in favour of meaningless materialistic object DLC's.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    I love it because it’s the first sims game I have ever played. I’d love messing around with the super natural side of things, such as the aliens, the vampires and even the other characters such as that one mean granny who I can’t remember what she was called and the social bunny. It just felt like the most unique sims out of all of them.
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I like the Sims 2 because it has a different eye to detail than the sims 3 or sims 4. That also applies to expansions. In sims 3, I have all the expansions except for into the future and I seemingly lack gameplay even though I have a bunch of expansions. Same applies to sims 4.
    With the sims 2, there are a ton of small features put into the vanilla game. The developers even cared!! Rain was supposed to be put in the base game, but didn’t and instead we got many features such as teens having the ability to get acne, impactful chance cards at work, and these pop ups that occur from time to time when your sims kid is at school.
    I got a pop up like that where my SS’s daughter Christina got the lead in a school play called “Simerella”, which I’m assuming is a parody of the fairytale Cinderella. Has anyone got a pop up like this before?
    Oh hamburgers!
  • TayraTayra Posts: 76 Member
    I love The Sims 2 for it's iconic gameplay. Without we wouldn't have The Sims 3 for all it's visual glory, and for that most memorable theme music that's in The Sims 3. Without it's counterpart, I doubt The Sims 2 would be as great as it was, expanding 7 years of nonstop gameplay memories. Though I kind of wished that The Sims 3 got that treatment as well, with better technology they could have found a way to improve the game and make it as good as The Sims 2. Thank you Sims 2 for being the inspiration of my favorite Sims game.
    unknown.png?width=841&height=473
    Happy simming, and a Happy Snowflake Day.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    What almost all of you have said, so won't repeat the well deserved accolades.

Build mode: can build anything I want, whether modern, medieval, Victorian, or whatever. Even a ship! Building is not only very varied, but in most cases it goes faster than in TS4. I can clearly see what my wall and floor patterns will look like, terrain can be modified, and can even put in my own ponds for fishing in. Automatic roofs, and normal garages even when the house is on a foundation, too.

We have driveable cars and flyable helicopters, both of which have interior detail. Five different types of crafting stations (wood, robots, flowers, sewing, pottery) whether for sale or home use. Overall, objects are very well done, even where it is ordinarily not seen. We even have the Maltese Falcon for you Bogie fans.

The screenshots are tied to the households, with ample room for story writing on each shot, and no loosing the final caption when you close the album. The albums are easily navigated and you can arrange shots to better tell your story. Being a part time writer, this feature is pure gold!

The seemingly endless variety of animations: cooking they actually open drawers and cabinets to get what they need, their expressions and noises if they burn something, the extra animations when their skill is high; when doing their diary, the different ways depending on whether they are alone or not; variety of them when fishing, especially when they slip and spin through the air... in short, they are like little people, not a collection of pixels on the screen.

The game is CC/mod friendly, encouraged, even. Have CC installed when there was an update or new pack? No worries! No broken content, no hunting down the maker of your stuff to find a fix, or any of that. Load and play.

The website was our site, not a propaganda organ of EA. Yes, they had their bit, but it was a place where we could share our creations, our stories, our videos, our ideas. Direct links to fan sites. It was like we were equal partners in the overall Sims experience, not mere sources of income for the latest DLC.

I could easily go on and on, but it's late. Is/was the game perfect? Nothing made by humans is. That said, TS2 is an outstanding game, the best of the series despite its age, and deserving of open access to any and all to play. Preferably without Origin mucking around.
  • Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I always loved the sims 2 but I haven't played it in years. I have been playing the sims 3 and I am hooked on that. I miss things about the sims 2 that I wished they would have added to the sims 3. One is the sewing machine. That was always so much fun to have a sewing room. I may have to get my sims 2 disc out again and give it a try.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Another thing is that TS2 CAS gives us 27 faces to pick from (vs 19 TS4), and at least 9 right clicks per face before that new face becomes the new one working with. And 26 faces to do that right clicking on, which gives, in theory at least, 6318 possible faces before one gets to all the details choices and sliders. TS4, just the fewer faces and push and pull. The one edge TS4 has is the greater ability to change colors and the outfit flexibility. On the other hand, TS2 has Body Shop, where you can make anything or anyone you want with just standard game resources, imagination, and some ability with a paint program, even MS Paint.
  • GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    edited August 2018
    Because of the sims themselves. It's amazing how different they are from the birth, how different things they like, how differently they act in similar situations. I notice it every time I play - some of the sims become my favorites quickly because of their behavior and personality. Memories add to this when they age up.

I'm inclined to agree with this comment. TS2 has almost everything I could ask for in a TS game. I've been enjoying TS4 but it's often the personalities of Sims often don't feel as fleshed out compared to how much more lifelike everyone seemed to be in TS2.
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Just for the cc and for decorating, this game always inspires me. It's been a long time I did not really play the game but the few I do is a very charming game when it did not crash like a crazy due to the cc.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    What's keeping going back to The Sims 2 is their Open for Business expansion pack. It's the only expansion pack that utilizes every single stuff pack created for the game. Giving you an endless rank of businesses that you can create for your game. Which I could see The Sims 3 have an expansion pack like that. Then the stuff packs would have a much more of a meaning for the game, as of right now, they are just extra content that is only needed if you want those or not. The Sims Studio, if you are reading this. Make a "Start your own Business" expansion pack for The Sims 3. You still have more of your hardcore Sims fans still playing that game. Some expansion packs from The Sims 2 should not go unnoticed.
  • SynthWarriorSynthWarrior Posts: 12 New Member
    I think I'll have started playing when the game came out, the years went by and I kept playing them, whether it was for my PC or how entertaining it was, it consumed many hours, but it was worth it, I think that up to this point, I consider it the ideal base for a future game of the saga, is part of that era in which, deliver a detailed game was normal, but with the level of detail of TS2?...the years have passed, some things have been simplified or have seemed to improve, but simply TS2 is TS2, nobody can take away the fact of the variety that had, the detail and love put into that little great game that was part of the saga, making full expansions that really expanded the horizons of the gameplay that had, a gameplay that was not slow, but not fast, an ability to control or see the reactions to events, which led you to think everything that offered and could continue to offer.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2018
    It stayed true to the origins of the franchise, while also giving us the most improvements to this franchise. Playing The Sims 2 is vastly different than playing The Sims 1, however, not in a bad way at all, as those changes stayed true to life simulation. Sims in 3D, genetics, generational gameplay, life stages, aging, CAS updates, etc; going from TS1 to TS2 was just a massive leap.

The Sims 3 recycled a lot of The Sims 2's gameplay, however, it gave us wonderful additions such as open world, CASt, and other very advanced creative tools. If it were a stabler and smoother experience, did not use rabbitholes, and did not use a microtransaction store model with its packs, I would probably call it my favorite.

The Sims 4 recycled The Sims 2's gameplay again, and gave us a different art style. Really, it did not give us enough changes to warrant a whole new base game. It sure is stable and smooth, but it lacks the incredible depth, attentiveness to detail, and life simulation innovations that made The Sims 2 great.

As one can probably see, the only title which does not have major drawbacks, if any at all, is The Sims 2. Personally, that's why I love it. There really weren't any big development controversies, I never felt as if I wasted money on a pack, and the developers were just concerned with ways they could drive the genre of life simulation forwards in the wacky, but also sensible form of The Sims.
  • SynthWarriorSynthWarrior Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Sk8rblaze said:
    > It stayed true to the origins of the franchise, while also giving us the most improvements to this franchise. Playing The Sims 2 is vastly different than playing The Sims 1, however, not in a bad way at all, as those changes stayed true to life simulation. Sims in 3D, genetics, generational gameplay, life stages, aging, CAS updates, etc; going from TS1 to TS2 was just a massive leap.
    >
    > The Sims 3 recycled a lot of The Sims 2's gameplay, however, it gave us wonderful additions such as open world, CASt, and other very advanced creative tools. If it were a stabler and smoother experience, did not use rabbitholes, and did not use a microtransaction store model with its packs, I would probably call it my favorite.
    >
    > The Sims 4 recycled The Sims 2's gameplay again, and gave us a different art style. Really, it did not give us enough changes to warrant a whole new base game. It sure is stable and smooth, but it lacks the incredible depth, attentiveness to detail, and life simulation innovations that made The Sims 2 great.
    >
    > As one can probably see, the only title which does not have major drawbacks, if any at all, is The Sims 2. Personally, that's why I love it. There really weren't any big development controversies, I never felt as if I wasted money on a pack, and the developers were just concerned with ways they could drive the genre of life simulation forwards in the wacky, but also sensible form of The Sims.

Excellent comment
    The Sims 2 was basically a huge advance, an improvement in contrast to TS, it expanded almost everything (even though it was in development, that beta phase that still had a great similarity to the first one, expanded to an unthinkable level), and that was what was used as a base for the future games of the saga, TS3 improved the theme of the neighborhoods ("worlds"), giving rise to the open world, to be able to explore without limits, the deepest CAS, the Story Progression, expansions that acted as according to the world, etc.
    The Sims 4 are not bad, the problem is that it recycles, re-uses a lot of the previous ones, and it seems in some cases not to understand the depth of the saga itself, it has some good expansions, but they are partly ruined by the Game Packs (I know they talk and complain a lot about the Game Packs, but it's in my opinion, something to complain, sell mechanics that should be in a complete expansion...I do not know, I'm not so happy), but it has given a new level with the system of emotions, emotions based on actions/events under the logic of an emotional reaction on the part of a sender and receiver, this is very good, along with how the toddlers act, part of the CAS and the build mode...but the rest is like a step towards back (sell the possibility to wash clothes...sell the possibility of opening restaurants, something that was already in Open for Business...I do not know), return to the time of loading screen, etc.
    But if others likes TS4 and they think it's better, as long as they don't be disrespectful, I think it's perfect, everyone with their tastes (?
    @Sk8rblaze I am going to be real honest with you, with an open world, the idea was new and they didn't know how the game would hold up, in fact this open world was just a test to see how it would fair well. So I can understand rabbit holes being in the game as a whole. It was the same thing for The Sims 2, they tried new things, such as being able to see the world around you. In fact that was what gave them the idea to do an open world for The Sims 3 in the first place was the entire part of being able to see the world around you. You've got to love how The Sims 2 was involved with a lot of what we have for The Sims 3 to begin with. We can fault for a lot of the missing animations that is in the game, but today it's very easy to fix those since they already know how to work with that. There's a bunch of reason to love The Sims 2 for that remark, and we've got to love it because without it, there wouldn't be The Sims 3 in the first place.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited August 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    .. I never felt as if I wasted money on a pack, and the developers were just concerned with ways they could drive the genre of life simulation forwards in the wacky, but also sensible form of The Sims.

I think these are really key points.
    I never felt like I wasted a single cent with any TS2 packs either. They had plenty of content, and what content there was often tied in with the rest of the stuff included with the game or other packs. I always felt like I got value for money, in regards to the included items and the amount of enjoyment I got from said packs in terms of playing the game.
    Though I wasn't really around on the TS2 boards back in the day ( I played more than I looked at forums ) I always felt as if the game had been developed by people who really cared about it. As if the game actually meant something to them too, rather than being just a job, or just to see what dumbest or silliest things they could put into the game ( talking toilet, animal costumes )
    The humour of Ts2, while wacky, is sophisticated, whimsical and it actually IS amusing. Unlike TS4, which is just riddled with inane, dumb toilet humour, and TS3 which doesn't quite have the same standard of amusement as TS2 does.
    I always felt as if the developers of TS2 actually sat back and seemed to think "now, how can we improve this in a way which is in keeping with the charm of the game, and the Sims overall?"
    With TS3 I do think they missed the mark a bit. They gave us wonderful improvements in the form of open world, and improved skills like gardening for instance, but they sacrificed a lot in regard to the little things, like family interactions. I feel that with TS3 it was more a case of materialism and what "stuff" we could give our sims rather than anything quality in the interactions between sims themselves, compared to its previous counterpart TS2.
    With TS4 all I get is the feeling of "now how can we charge the most money for the least amount of effort?" It's almost as if previous iterations and the love for them have gone right out the window.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding