Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't people like laundry?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I don't like doing laundry, therefor my sims should also have to do laundry, so they can not like doing it too. :#
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    -boring
    -not a meaningful addition to gameplay
    -pointless

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I like laundry, it's a small chore to schedule since there are no beds to make and you can only clean stuff when it's dirty. The sims 4 is either clean now or clean never, but I like having that to do on slow gameplay days.

I thought I wouldn't like it but with a few mods it's a fun little addition.
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I don't hate the content of the laundry pack itself, but I think it should have been included in parenthood rather than being a standalone stuff pack. Also it was selected as part of the community vote, and in my opinion the other potential themes were a far more interesting addition than laundry. "Dangerous Stuff" would have added new elements of challenge to the game, expanded upon the Grim reaper and added funeral experiences (although I can see why this might be too morbid for some). "Starter Home Stuff" would have given us some much needed low cost and space saving furniture options, which is fantastic for builders.

The winning theme of Eco living did have some promise in terms of the potential solar energy aspect, but somehow that ended up whittled down to a pack solely comprised of one of laundry. I feel it was a missed opportunity for the community to have steered the game in a different direction, honestly.

Extremely well put and my thoughts exactly, laundry is fine but out of everything that was there? It's just disappointing.

• TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018
    If our sims clothes , you know, the ones they wear around , got soiled and dirty and stunk, while our sims are in them, then washing laundry would make more sense. Like for example if their clothes could become soiled, forcing them to go do their laundry. Or else they would have had to walk around stinking and dirty in visibly soiled clothing.

Combine that with having to actually go shop for clothes , like in sims 2 and THEN laundry would be a useful mechanism :) Probably still not FUN though o:)<3
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    For me, the Sims is a "life simulation" in the same way a soap opera is and you don't see mundane activities like doing the laundry being depicted there for a reason.
  • xosummerloverxoxosummerloverxo Posts: 245 Member
    I like the pack overall but something that really gets on my nerves is the frequency of which the machines break. Like, the machines break every 1 in 3 times that they do laundry. It's usually the dryer which then makes the clothes dirty again and my Sim has to rewash them. It gets REALLY tiring especially when you have to have a Sim with high handiness to upgrade them. There should have been more washers/dryers included with different perks depending on price. I'd give the pack a 7/10 :)
    tumblr_opy59iHeFc1vnq1cro1_400.gif
    I do not own the above gif.

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't hate it... I would have hated it if it had been forced on us.
    But nobody is complaining about doing dishes existing a feature. Interesting and quite amusing. Hard for me to understand the dislike for me.

That's true but dishes aren't very time consuming. My sims basically do that immediately after they finish a meal.. with training from me. This .. because you would need to wash, dry and put away (even if it disappears) is time consuming. I also would want to chose when the sims do laundry verses have them automatically start doing a process that might take awhile.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited March 2018
    I love my laundry basement. It reminds me of the that 70 show set where my kids will later hang in as teens while their mom pops in from time to time to do the laundry :p

s31nqv.png

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    That reminds me I have some to put in the dryer.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    But nobody is complaining about doing dishes existing a feature. Interesting and quite amusing. Hard for me to understand the dislike for me.

That's true but dishes aren't very time consuming. My sims basically do that immediately after they finish a meal.. with training from me. This .. because you would need to wash, dry and put away (even if it disappears) is time consuming. I also would want to chose when the sims do laundry verses have them automatically start doing a process that might take awhile.

Also, dishes weren't added later as DLC "feature", which is a key point of difference.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I don't play sims to play white picket fence and suburban life. I don't play for 2.4 kids and a dog and wifey cooking up a good meal for hubby when he comes home from work and playing mommy and daddy.

Lived it. No need to relive it in a game because I can do that in the real world. And it's freaking BORING.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Your Sims don't have to do the dishes. You can drag them to the sink yourself, lol. Or just leave them lying around, for that matter.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    Because I play Sims the way I watch movies or follow the hero in a book. There has to be some basic ‘this is how I live my life’ in there but not when it is taking over and becomes dictating. “Cleo was in a very complicated love affair and got an invitation by one of her love interests but alas alas, a pile of laundry was waiting so she had to decline”. That’s just really not why I play and how I want to play. Also: it’s very repetitive gameplay that comes with no surprises.
    (most my sims have a dish washer by the way)(and I’d hate that feature too if it would take hours)(and I love my genies in large households who take care of that in a flash)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I like laundry and use it all the time. Furniture and clothes are also great.
  • mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I think the ones that hate are the ones that didn't buy the pack. Some people don't like real life functions in their games. I pick and choose when to use the Laundry Pack. This pack is one of the few that you get to control whether laundry piles up on the floor. In my Vampire game save there's no laundry baskets placed in any of the houses. The basket and washing machines have to be placed for laundry to be a problem. I have another save where the sim is a slob and having a washing machine, but no laundry baskets in the house creates heaping piles of laundry.

I have found the game is more enjoyable when you play more than one save with different objectives. I sometimes feel about vampires like other people do about laundry. In my regular sims game I eliminated every vampire and keep a garlic plant in the yard to keep game created ones off the property. Then I have another game save filled with vampires, ghost and evil vampires that kill off their blood donors. I learned a long time ago, to make the game be what I want otherwise the game creators will drive me crazy with ideas that an SP needs another EP to play it. (but that is another issue, and I shrug myself off to the corner for a time-out).
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'm just too poor right now to have time for laundry. I'll totally do it once I've got my money and stats up a bit.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

I like our Sims 4 Laundry it's just like all the other needful things in a home. Stoves, fridges, and showers. I love to make the cute laundry room. and now it's more for our lazy maids to do.I love all the different colors. everything in the pack is cute.I love the stackables, I have that in my home, but in boring white.
    Now if your of a mindset that you do not like to use electricity you can use that laundry tub for your outdoors, and hang them on the lines. that would be great for Sims medieval games.

I was wondering if we could make a laundromat in our sims worlds.? That would be great.

Once as a child maybe 6 or 7 my parents took us to a laundromat, we kids were in awe, of the rows of machines, so many and dryers a big as the wall. :o My parents were so busy we had total freedom to run about and even was given change for junk from the vending machines. Somehow our adventure led us to the back room where a double door was left open, It was dark out. We ran out and around the lot like that kid on HomeAlone Lost In New York. So this is why one of my fondest memories as a child was about laundry. :)

When I became an adult, I decided to go to the laundromat again to get all my laundry done at once, It was just not as much fun as when my mother did the wash and we just played lol. :D
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    I like laundry in the game. My gameplay is very domesticated and focused on raising a family. I like that the kids can learn responsibility from doing laundry. I love the look of clothes drying on the clothesline. I like that i finally have a functional laundry room vs a make believe cc one. I would love to see vacuums and lawnmowers added to the game.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member

Your Sims don't have to do the dishes. You can drag them to the sink yourself, lol. Or just leave them lying around, for that matter.

Or drag into the trash can. Out with Grandma's fine China! :lol:

I've got too much planned for my Sims to do and too little time to do it in! Sim time goes by so fast (and some Sim actions take forever) that I can't be staying around waiting for the washer to finish, so I can put the stuff into the dryer.

If you enjoy doing laundry, that's fine. Let your Sims do laundry. But it's going to become a hassle when they're only doing chores (plus work and/or school) all day, every day, and have no time to go out for fun. It'll get old real quick. Trust me.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    I typically play a two parent household with only one parent actually working outside the home. One parent is always home to take care of running the household, cooking, gardening, etc. Aging is off so I have plenty of time to get things done. I've just recently reinstalled my game and started over with a new family but in my previous save I was still playing two kids that were born shortly after the game first released and one toddler who was born right after toddlers were added to the game. I'm never concerned with time restraints and trying to get things done within a certain time frame or before a sim ages up. Just adds unnecesary stress to what for me is a leisurely playing experience. In other words, I have plenty of time to do laundry in my game. :)
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    i didn't get the laundry pack. mainly because in my perfect sims world, my sims have a lot more interesting things to do.

also, with the amount of time it takes to do what should be simple things, the last thing i need is some boring task to take precious time away from an already busy day.

for those of you who enjoy doing laundry, i'm glad you have it in your game for something else to do. it's just not my thing.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm not really opposed to it, it's more so I desperately need content that is new (another chore and mess type doesn't feel new to me) and I don't really care about more busy work for my sims. So when asked, I would prefer almost anything else to be added into the game at this point in time.

Edit: weird wording issues
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    To clarify, I’m never following a time frame either (if time goes too fast I always disable aging for a while). I just rather fill my simming time with stuff that I find fun to do and that’s not doing laundry. Just once might be fun, but not on a regular basis. So I think it really comes down to what you find fun to do in the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    I don't have the pack because I was upset that we got the ole bait and switch with no eco living stuff. Chances are I'll get it whenever it's on a five dollar sale simply because I like the clothes and a few of the build stuff. I also do like the wash tub and the clothes line since my main Sim is a cowboy (at heart for now until we get something other than stupid city junk in the game)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top