March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't people like laundry?

Touching more about all sims series, just wondering why people oppose such feature/mechanic in the sims series? Just curious to know. I personally find it to be the same as washing dishes and knowing (some) people do ask for there to be more challenges in the game. Yeah, this thread may seem redundant, but I'm just curious to know.
NNpYlHF.jpg

Comments

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    To put it plainly, because it came in a SEPARATE stuff pack. When really it should have been part of the base game form the start or as a side feature in a different pack altogether, like I dunno, maybe Seasons?
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Perhaps it is how it is implemented in-game. I tried it once for 2 sim weeks. I found it to be more of a negative impact on gameplay than fun. I use everything but those gameplay objects of that pack. To me it did not fit the eco-living theme we were promised, so it is seen even more negatively. It only was introduced in Sims 3, so it was a fairly new gameplay idea.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    What If it came and was integrated to be force feature? It's essentially as washing dishes in the sink/dishwasher.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    To me, it's not a feature that I care to play out. I don't like chores, I don't even like having my sims eat or use the toilet. Those things just get in the way of having my sims do more interesting and fun things. I also don't care much about the details of raising children. I do have some families but I don't tend to detail my family play. I'd still rather have them go out and do more interesting things and keep family life low maintenance.

Yes, the Sims is a life simulator and I do understand that there are many people who play it for those details and enjoy having every nuance of real life represented. But I would rather be simulating adventures or life obstacles or risk and danger or living amongst monsters and magic or engaging in activities or experiments or an Apocalypse...etc. I want to simulate things that I'm not likely to experience in real life, to see how they play out. I want challenges and surprises, as opposed to static predictability. I want to be able to play out a fantasy world or treasure hunt with pirates or build a crime-ridden town and have Sims imbued with superpowers who run across rooftops and jump down to protect citizens.

To me, a life simulation game should expand to allow the player to simulate whatever kind of life or environment or world they want to create. A base game should begin as a more fleshed out mimic of reality with parodies and some exaggerations, but add on packs should extend the possibilities in a variety of directions and the world should be malleable enough to allow the player to change and create the settings that they want. So that if someone wants to play the details of generations of families who live in a close, bustling, surburban neighborhood, they can, but if the next player wants a Tim Burton-esque town with twisted houses and curled trees and have their citizens be a variety of mythical beings, they should be able to as well.

I guess my point is, realistic play isn't the standard for everyone, so something like laundry feels like a disappointing waste of resources, especially when it seems like something that should be an optional base game feature to begin with.
    #Team Occult
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    ^ I was very keen for eco. I really wanted solar panels or wind turbines. Something that would cut down electricity bill by half or remove it all together. The open discussion was pointless. They say they wanted our input this time but I felt the reality was just a ruse to seem we had any involvement at all in the end by-product. That was my only gripe about the pack.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    It’s unnecessary and just provides more work for your sims. You literally pay $10 for an optional chore. In The Sims 3, I hardly ever used the laundry from Ambitions anyways. When I did, it was a pain, with laundry piles on the floor and constantly taking time out of the day to do laundry. We already do that irl, so why do it again in Sims?
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I like the laundry stuff, especially for the added furnitures and the ability to have a laundry room. What I don't like is the over use of the emotion playful. I love clean laundry as much as the next woman but I don't get a euphoric playful feeling for hours.

I especially hate it when my Sims go take an inspired shower to get that 4 hour of inspired (to up their skills more faster) and then have that feeling OVERWRITTEN by 4 hours of playful just because they put on clothes.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    It's not a feature I wanted to see added in it's own pack. It could have been added in an expansion or a game pack.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    Most of the time I don't mind it... One thing bothered me though... I was sending one of my Sims on space expeditions so I could get a U.F.O plant and the whole yard was literally filled with laundry and I had to manually sell all of it because they couldn't be washed or dried or anything for that matter...
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Because they tend to overdo everything, it would be more of a pain in the neck than fun.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I just never understood the appeal to it I guess. I have no gripe with it, I'm happy for all the laundry fanatics who got what they wanted. I just hope they don't include the community again in any future packs or perhaps we'll end up with lawn mowers next
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't hate it... I would have hated it if it had been forced on us. Sometimes I use it for the possible fire/death senerios or forced labor stories so it's a win/win there. Some families actually use it for day to day play but it's few and far between because it's another chore. I can make it barely seem there and that's good for the few families I use it normally with. The rest of the pack though I love.. the clothes and decor especially.
    egTcBMc.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I actually like laundry a lot. Not a huge difference between 3 and 4, but they are both nice to have. I think adding clothes to the washing machine is a little tedious in 4. I have to click each hamper and select “add to washing machine”. They don’t automatically collect all of the hampers and there’s no universal “collect laundry” option on the washing machine. Kind of annoying but not a huge deal for me.
  • anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    edited March 2018
    I don't hate the content of the laundry pack itself, but I think it should have been included in parenthood rather than being a standalone stuff pack. Also it was selected as part of the community vote, and in my opinion the other potential themes were a far more interesting addition than laundry. "Dangerous Stuff" would have added new elements of challenge to the game, expanded upon the Grim reaper and added funeral experiences (although I can see why this might be too morbid for some). "Starter Home Stuff" would have given us some much needed low cost and space saving furniture options, which is fantastic for builders.

The winning theme of Eco living did have some promise in terms of the potential solar energy aspect, but somehow that ended up whittled down to a pack solely comprised of laundry. I feel it was a missed opportunity for the community to have steered the game in a different direction, honestly.
    Post edited by anonmystery on
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I like the idea of doing different chores. I think it could certainly add in a good amount of potential for challenge or random events.

However, I am definitely not paying 10 dollars to watch my Sims to each chore. That's crazy.
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    It should have been added to a grand expansion pack or attached to a bigger SP. The content was quite derisory and on its own is very risible.
  • SimSaraSimSara Posts: 534 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like realism and I like having laundry in the game but I do wish the community pack would've went in another direction. I feel like it was kind of a missed opportunity, like there was a lot of potential for us to create something new and fun- but instead everyone was like "whoooo laundry!" lol. I wasn't surprised with the outcome of the pack either, I think laundry is just one of those essential features that players want because it adds to the realism and for this reason the other idea's didn't really stand a chance. I also think it's a feature that should've been added either in the base game, as an update, or as a secondary feature in a GP or EP. I do like the pack overall though, a lot of the content is very nice so there's that. I also got a chuckle out of the satirical promotional videos trying to make laundry out to be this awesome thing- esp since it's my least favorite chore in RL. I would like to see another community pack at some point.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Personally it's because I do enough laundry in real life. It's not fun. I can tolerate it in the sims 3 as I didn't pay for it. I like sims of the furniture that came with the pack but not enough to justify the cost when I would never use laundry. I wouldn't pay for chores. But that's just me.
  • edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    I liked this pack but I believe they ran short of build/buy items. Only ONE type washer/dryer, only two sinks, both very bland... Not enough decor items for the shelves (like detergents, softener, etc). I know that all those items you can get via CC, but still.

My biggest problem with Laundry Day is that its appliances were not properly categorized in build mode. Instead of adding a washing machine icon, they just threw it inside "indoor activities" and not all items are there. And the machines should have had some animation (like the one with the dishwasher). Other than that...
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't hate it... I would have hated it if it had been forced on us.
    But nobody is complaining about doing dishes existing a feature. Interesting and quite amusing. Hard for me to understand the dislike for me.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    I really like the laundry pack - that's not my problem. My problem = like many others have expressed, the other vote options were more interesting. I was into all the ideas and I was so excited about an actual eco-living pack with stuff for green and off-the-grid living but we ended up with the most basic option that barely has anything to do with eco-living. Also I do believe, like @Savage_Patch_Kidd, that the situation was disingenuous on their part.
  • VriyankaVriyanka Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm not understanding the comparison you're trying to make between laundry and dishes.

For one thing, we didnt have to pay extra to do the dishes. Also, doing the dishes is more of an everyday task for most people than laundry is. It would be much more missed than laundry would be if it werent included.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I don't think players necessarily hate laundry in The Sims... I think the main reason many people are criticizing the idea is because it was a stuff pack all by itself... unlike Sims 3, where it was simply a new feature that just happened to come along with an expansion pack. It's the same reason people are criticizing the 'My First Pet' stuff pack. It's not the actual content we hate... it's the fact that we're literally having to pay money just for that alone. For example, if the content from 'My First Pet' came with 'Cats & Dogs' or was simply a free DLC, I wouldn't mind it... but that's not the case. The same applies to the laundry stuff pack. A lot of people just feel it's unnecessary to have as a stuff pack alone. I mean, let's be honest, spending $10 on content that was easily included as a very minor feature in a $40 expansion pack from a previous game is pretty ridiculous. The same goes for spending an extra $10 on content that should've already been included in a previous pack.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't hate it... I would have hated it if it had been forced on us.
    But nobody is complaining about doing dishes existing a feature. Interesting and quite amusing. Hard for me to understand the dislike for me.

Nobody is complaining about dishes because it's mandatory and it doesn't take long at all, You won't be able to play the game without dishes being washed since they pile up, well you'd still be able to play it you'd just end up with a very messy house and a very sad sim. The problem with Laundry is it isn't mandatory I'd still be playing my game completely fine without laundry, heck I'm still playing it fine since I don't own the pack, Don't get me wrong i hate having to wash the dishes everytime my active family has a meal, laundry for me is just another annoying chore, I hated it within the sims 3, having to constantly run around picking up clothes and washing them, before I knew it I was spending most of my time doing laundry than actually playing the game, it was constant. Dishes, on the other hand, don't annoy me as much since my sims most of the time clean them without me having to tell them so I can actually play the game. Laundry is a big no, no in my book.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top