Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions about how @mentions works

Hello, I was wondering how the whole @mentions system works, because I seem to get confused over if it's working correctly or not. So, the only way it will mention users is if the username will come up blue correct? It won't work actually mention the user if it's not highlighted in blue? As for mentioning users and notification settings, does mentioning a user supercede all notification settings for their account? Does mentioning users also go past blocks too? What about @mentioning forum staff and SimGurus? One more question, if I edit a post (far) later with a mention of a user, will that mention be notified to the user since I edited the mention into a post much later than when I posted it? Thank you.
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    When a new member @mentions another member, that member will still get notified even if it's not highlighted in blue.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    When a new member @mentions another member, that member will still get notified even if it's not highlighted in blue.

Oh? What about regular forum members? Does that @mention have to be in blue to be properly mentioned?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Hello
    For full members, the tag has to be highlighted in blue.
    If you go back and edit in a name later on, the simmer will not get the notification
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi @paradiseplanet ,

I'll do my best to answer the questions :smiley:
    So, the only way it will mention users is if the username will come up blue correct? It won't work actually mention the user if it's not highlighted in blue?
    As @lisasc360 and @rosemow said - New Member @mentions may not be highlighted in blue, but can still work. Full memebers @mention needs to be in blue to work.
    As for mentioning users and notification settings, does mentioning a user supercede all notification settings for their account?
    @mention notification is governed by "Notify me when people mention me." setting, if that notification is disabled you would not get notifications when some one tags you.
    Does mentioning users also go past blocks too?
    If someone you have on the Ignore List tags you, you will still get a notification, but the post will still behave as a posts from ignored people do - content is hidden.
    What about @mentioning forum staff and SimGurus?
    Notifications on @tags work the same for EA staff or SimGurus as for normal users.
    One more question, if I edit a post (far) later with a mention of a user, will that mention be notified to the user since I edited the mention into a post much later than when I posted it?
    Adding an @tag in an Edit will not trigger a notification to the user that was tagged.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    -Mage
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Okay, I took a bit to soak the info in, and thank you for the replies on how it all works! I think I've been mentioning some people wrong now lol.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    @EA_Mage are @mentions suppose to work when in a quote? I know in a few conversations I'll have been mentioned once and the get like 6 or 7 tags in a row regarding comments that aren't directed at me but the person quoted instead. It's a little annoying, so I was wondering the other day if it was suppose to happen.
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    @EA_Mage are @mentions suppose to work when in a quote? I know in a few conversations I'll have been mentioned once and the get like 6 or 7 tags in a row regarding comments that aren't directed at me but the person quoted instead. It's a little annoying, so I was wondering the other day if it was suppose to happen.

If someone quotes a post where you have been tagged (even if the @tag is a few quotes in) you will get a notification.

I do agree that can get a little annoying, so it is on my list :smiley:

Thanks,
    -Mage