Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the most interesting mystery?

CarolinaCanCarolinaCan Posts: 116 Member
if Charles Darwin was so smart then why is he dead? You know like why couldn't he evolve to not die?

I still don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Um, you're kidding, right?
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I know, right? I've always wondered why there aren't any new John Wayne movies. I know he's dead in real life, but movies aren't real.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Cororon wrote: »
    I know, right? I've always wondered why there aren't any new John Wayne movies. I know he's dead in real life, but movies aren't real.

i know right!
  • Options

no, one time i met a guy who mathematically proved that Charles Darwin didn't exist
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member

no, one time i met a guy who mathematically proved that Charles Darwin didn't exist

Math can't do that. It could certainly prove that a specific event didn't happen, or at least didn't happen the way the story has been told, but numbers aren't going to prove that an entire person is a total fiction. Besides, math and statistics are almost completely on Darwin's side.

As for your initial post:

Individuals don't evolve; their DNA profiles stay the same (minus some errors that don't usually spread) their whole lives.

The next generation receives a handful of new mutations at conception, and whether any of those are helpful is completely random.

A randomly good mutation helps its host survive, so that animal may have more offspring than average, passing along the mutation to some of the children, who in turn also have a survival advantage over others in their population.

Thus a beneficial mutation can spread throughout a population, although it normally takes a long period of time. The process can be sped up if there's unusual pressure from the environment, like disease or drought, that kills off a large number of individuals.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly to your initial post, nobody can control evolution. Each mutation is a random event, and no amount of insight into the process can speed it up, let alone target a particular gene for enhancement. Science may get there soon, but it isn't now, and certainly Darwin would have had no way of changing anything about his genetics, no matter how well-developed his theory was.
  • Options
    But the mathematical odds for any particular person to exist are extremely low. That's probably why people die. The math catches up with reality.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Math can't do that. It could certainly prove that a specific event didn't happen, or at least didn't happen the way the story has been told, but numbers aren't going to prove that an entire person is a total fiction. Besides, math and statistics are almost completely on Darwin's side.

As for your initial post:

Individuals don't evolve; their DNA profiles stay the same (minus some errors that don't usually spread) their whole lives.

The next generation receives a handful of new mutations at conception, and whether any of those are helpful is completely random.

A randomly good mutation helps its host survive, so that animal may have more offspring than average, passing along the mutation to some of the children, who in turn also have a survival advantage over others in their population.

Thus a beneficial mutation can spread throughout a population, although it normally takes a long period of time. The process can be sped up if there's unusual pressure from the environment, like disease or drought, that kills off a large number of individuals.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly to your initial post, nobody can control evolution. Each mutation is a random event, and no amount of insight into the process can speed it up, let alone target a particular gene for enhancement. Science may get there soon, but it isn't now, and certainly Darwin would have had no way of changing anything about his genetics, no matter how well-developed his theory was.

well darn there goes my plan. My life's work has been to mathematically prove that Charlemagne also did not exist, but I only got up to 4+8=12 so far and still haven't figured the next step out.
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    But the mathematical odds for any particular person to exist are extremely low. That's probably why people die. The math catches up with reality.

psh! more like the reality catches up with the math. numbers are always one step ahead!
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018

psh! more like the reality catches up with the math. numbers are always one step ahead!

I'm bad at math, but they say there is an infinite amount of numbers, but not a single person has counted that high yet, so no one really knows for sure. :)
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options

I'm bad at math, but they say there is an infinite amount of numbers, but not a single person has counted that high yet, so no one really knows for sure. :)

i once counted to infinity but then i took an arrow to the knee