Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Other than Tjstreak, Who knows how to convert FSX meshes to Sims3

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
I'm trying to track down an accurate 3D mesh to mesh an F-14 Tomcat (with recolorable channels) for my Sims Story

Anybody know anything about mesh conversions?
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    First, you'll need to find a program that can extract the meshes from SFX. For many games, NinjaRipper will work, but I can't be certain it will work for SFX. But it is worth a try.

Now, it will extract them into .rip files, so you'll also need to find a plugin for whatever 3D program you are using so that you can start searching the ripped files for the plane you want. The down side of ninja ripper is that they aren't named anything identifiable, so you'll have to just search through the ripped models to find the one you're looking for.

Personally, for my conversion efforts I have been using Blender. It's free and a fantastic software. And I would recommend watching BlenderGuru videos on Youtube to familiarize yourself with it enough to work in it.

Here's a link to NinjaRipper: https://gamebanana.com/tools/5638

Here's a Blender Plugin: https://github.com/Akaito/blender-ninjaripper-importer

I'm sure there are plugins that support other 3D programs as well. I'm pretty sure I have one for 3DS Max, but I don't use that program as much.

Now, there are a few things to note:
    -When you find the mesh, you'll notice as a .rip file that is has all these very distracting purple lines coming from it in Blender's edit mode. To fix this, I export the mesh as .obj, then start a new scene in Blender, clear it of all the starting objects, and then import the now obj version of the model.

Otherwise, you'll need to look up tutorials on how to UV map objects if you don't already know how. The SFX textures probably won't transfer well to The Sims 3, so you kind of have to re-do the UV mapping and texture mapping yourself.

The biggest thing, though, is that the plane will probably have a huge poly count. This isn't a huge problem if you have a PC that can handle it, but even then The Sims 3 can't really handle it very well either. :lol:

So you might want to look into getting the program Milkshape. Well, you'll need Milkshape anyway because it is the only program that has a plugin to where you can convert your .objs into .tsrw files to work in TSR Workshop.

I recommend looking around Mod The Sims's CC tutorials for the various links to all the plugins and stuff you'll need. Milkshape costs money. Just a one time cost of about $30.

Let me know if you need any more help. Especially with Blender as I have had about 80 hours of experience in it. Not great at it, but of a higher level of understanding than someone just getting into it, at least. :lol: