Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I can never stick to a single family for too long. I get itchy and antsy.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I love playing rotationally because for most of the families walking around the neighbourhood I've impacted them in some way or another. It's interesting to see what they get up to while I'm not playing them and thinking of ways I can intertwined their stories with the current family/sim I'm playing. With this save I have to have aging off.

Though towards the end of last year I started another save with a legacy family and I've enjoyed playing with that family, pursuing certain goals before each generation dies.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I dont play with careers. I like money cheats so its not needed. But I do like to build their skills and relationships. Relationships mostly because I want to throw parties and have guests to attend them .

• Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Does anyone else dislike it?

It doesnt suit me at all. When I try to focus on having all of those other families and stories going, it removes a lot of the immersion for me and I lose focus on building any sort of connection with the sims. I waste so much effort on creating sims to add into that rotational style and less on getting to know the family.

I have found that I like to focus on one family, usually, a married couple with one child and watch them raise them. Theoretically, I would focus on the one family as a whole, until the parents die and then their child becomes my main Sim. And I create someone for them to marry and the whole process begins over :)<3

Definitely why I use MCCC. I got tired of playing vanilla and having to hitch everyone when I was trying to focus on one story. It's so crazy because I loved rotational play in the sims 2 but then once I started playing 3 I got spoiled and couldn't go back to rotational play in 4. I mean it's nice that they age but I do wish you had the option of cutting on story progression for them if you want to use it. ( As far as other sims having their own lives etc)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I've never attempted rotational gameplay in The Sims... it's just too frustrating. I always like to focus on one specific family and then choose one of their children (usually the youngest) to play afterwards. I still create other families for the sake of making sure the Sims in the family I play have neighbors, friends, etc... but I mainly focus on one family at a time.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I haven's played rationally the traditional way since TS1. My heirs have always been the first male born into wedlock, so I would pop in the others here and there. Make sure they had good grades or gaining skills. I'll pop in on few households here and there but I always kept coming back to my main family being such a mess and drama going on that I have no clue as to how it started. So now I keep the game paused to see if there is any drama I can nudge along. If Shinya happens to have kids that he knows about, they just come over on the weekends and I have my sim do activities that will increase their skills and grades. Every now and then I'll move in the kids for the weekends just to double check how they all are getting along. I don't want stuff going on in my main save that I'm not there when it happens. Last time I popped in on a family and kind of camped there, I came to catch the eldest daughter making out with Eric Lewis and her fiance crying it out in my Sims bed. I haven't done anything but check in all in pause mode unless I an spend a minute or two nudging some drama.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I do keep starting again with a new sim and a fresh new game. sometimes I forget who I have played and where I left them. and what my goals for them were. old age. lol But at the moment I'm playing just one sim, again I had to start again as I was getting too many bugs and glitches. I had about 8 different saves over five house holds. so for a while I'm just going to play my Adventure girl sim. then I'll move on to a premade I haven't played before. and maybe just keep it to three families.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Personally - and this is entirely a personal opinion - I can't see the point in rotational play. If the point of the game is to give your character a perfect life then it's easier to do this by focusing on one.

The closest I come to Rotational play is by bringing other people's houses up to date.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    HopeyStarr wrote: »
    I love playing rotationally because for most of the families walking around the neighbourhood I've impacted them in some way or another. It's interesting to see what they get up to while I'm not playing them and thinking of ways I can intertwined their stories with the current family/sim I'm playing. With this save I have to have aging off.

Though towards the end of last year I started another save with a legacy family and I've enjoyed playing with that family, pursuing certain goals before each generation dies.

That's the main reason why I play rotationally.
    It enriches the story scenarios I play out.
    I would also get bored just playing one household.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • NalithielNalithiel Posts: 2 New Member
    I love having multiple families in one save file and switching it up between them. I enjoy creating stories with them and seeing where it leads. I do tend to have a main family that I play most, and then switch if I need to do something from a sim's perspective that isn't in that household. I take a lot of screenshots and post them online. I definitely feel like this isn't for everyone, though, so I get some may hate it. but it really makes it more engaging for me personally.
  • CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    I normally only play my main family. But sometimes I switch to other families for a short time while stopping aging the others. This is because my parents all have 2 or more kids. I choose my favorite child which will stay in my main family. The others move out into the neighborhood. But I want them to have partners and children too (the game doesn't do this for me), so I switch into their family, choose a nice Partner make a baby and then switch back to the main family.
  • dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    It seems really overwhelming to set up a whole world and plan out stories with all those households too. Maybe I could try playing rotationally with just the premades, to get me into that playing style. That way I won't feel bad about my Sims moving on with their lives without me either, since I'm used to the premades doing that anyway.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
    Loanet wrote: »
    Personally - and this is entirely a personal opinion - I can't see the point in rotational play. If the point of the game is to give your character a perfect life then it's easier to do this by focusing on one.

The closest I come to Rotational play is by bringing other people's houses up to date.

I was a habitual restarter. Probably because I was focused on too many things at once. I think for me, the way this game is going to be fulfilling, is if I pour all of my energy into one story, one family <3 I have and will continue to place other sims in the world to be friends with mine and do things together. But I wont play those other families. They are just a part of the larger story @Loanet Beyond that, I would have to play on a much longer life span to do rotational play justice and I dont want to do that. I want to play in normal mode @Loanet
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    I don't hate rotational play, I just don't think it's necessarily for me. I've done it, a few times. I still have a couple saves that are dedicated to rotational play, but I just prefer my one family, one household saves most. I never played rotationally in sims 2. I didn't even know that was a thing. When I played Sims 2, I wasn't even aware there was an online community, cheats, or cc. I bought my games from the store, installed them, and played. It wasn't until Sims 3 that I learned of sims communities, sims store, cc, and all the likes. And rotational play wasn't a huge thing with Sims 3, besides, I'd been playing one household since sims 1, so I didn't really see any sense in trying rotational. I finally tried it in Sims 4, and while it is cool, it's just not really my play style. I like focusing my attention on one sim or one sim family. And when I move them out, I want them to make their own life choices (MCCC for Sims 4).
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I like playing rotationally, but I have to be in the mood for it. I have a save where I play with all the premades that I go to when the mood strikes. Otherwise, I'm likely playing a challenge save or building.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I've never tried rotational play in the same save but I have multiple saves I play from. I just load whatever one I'm in the mood for.

This is basically what I do as well.
  • tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    In this version rotational play while aging wasn't much fun for me. It just got frustrating to the point I just picked one house to play in until I grew bored and went back to my main ageless save. I feel I enjoy rotational play more when I have aging off. In the current copy of my main save that does age, I turn off aging when everyone jumps to the next life state. Just so that I feel like I have time to get to know everyone (the sims I create and grow) and build their connections to each other before letting them all age up to the next stage. The neighborhood feels more cohesive too. It is similar to The Sims 2 when I do it that way and I LOVED rotational play in that game.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    In TS4 it's all but impossible, unless you do 1 household per game save and your rotation is from game to game. In TS1 & TS2 that is my standard way of playing and highly satisfying. Not only can one develop each household, but it is easy to weave interactive stories involving several households. No can do in TS4.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    In TS4 it's all but impossible, unless you do 1 household per game save and your rotation is from game to game. In TS1 & TS2 that is my standard way of playing and highly satisfying. Not only can one develop each household, but it is easy to weave interactive stories involving several households. No can do in TS4.

Not impossible at all. Why do you say that? I've played rotationally for a long time. There are some caveats, but they are minor. Be careful the time of day rotating to the next household; and pregnant sims will deliver their babies during rotation unless you use mods. Other than that, it works in my game, anyway.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I can't stick with one household. I want to control all those friend and neighbors too. Plus, sometimes the game makes an interesting sim I want to play too. My current game started as an orphanage. As each orphan was adopted, I started playing the adoptive families, now they are all married and having kids and I rotate from one to another.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I love it, but it does have its drawbacks. It can get repetitive & take too long to get through a generation. I have so many families now that it's taking over a month to get through them all, even with daily rotation. Every now & then I do step back & play a single household, but I get bored with that too quickly, even though I feel like I accomplish more with a single sim. But I love seeing all of my sims out & about around town & watching their lives intertwine. I like to have them marry each other instead of trying to find some decent looking townie or create a mate for them in CAS.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
    I always thought there were more single family players than rotational :) I dont know , I might give rotational another try. I just set my family to long life span , once I realized my toddler was about to age up in 1 dang day.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    I do both - I'm currently trying to play a scored legacy, which I haven't done in a long time. I've never actually finished a legacy although I did get to gen 7 once (then lost the save - I'm still sad). I find it hard to play long term with a single family that doesn't have some type of goal, but I also do not enjoy challenges that are highly specific: ie, gen 2 all dresses in a specific color and the heir must be a dogwalker and must fulfill skills x, y and z.

I didn't think I'd like rotational play but I set up a file using random parameters to establish the starting families. I started with four and now I'm up to 25 or so, I think. I love that around 75% of the town is involved with or impacted by one of my families. I set up some mini goals or random challenges for different households if I feel like it, or sometimes I just let things happen on their own. I almost always roll for random traits and aspirations so that throws in an element of unpredictability. I don't really think of it in terms of "generational play" but the grandchildren and great grandchildren of the four original families are hitting their late teens and young adulthoods, so the whole world is progressing (except the vampire population, of course, heh).

I think the hardest part about switching back and forth between a legacy style and a rotation style is going back to the legacy and feeling antsy when it gets to be Sunday morning and then remembering I don't need to change households, hehe.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I used to play that way in Sims 2 - started 8 Sims at University, married them off, and played each household a day at a time...

I actually haven't bothered in Sims 4 yet, partly I guess because it would be more work to get all my families to meet, while it was easy in uni. Honestly right now I just really don't want to start from the bottom again, I'm spoiled with my ultra rich never hungry/tired/dirty Generation Sims.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    Everybody has their way of playing that works best for them for me there were some glitches that I would avoid rotating now it's not too bad usually when I do it it starts with just one family then I start to play the siblings as they move out then I add families so they have love interests. I spend a little time as I see fit one I like it like that. Sometimes I keep one family for play time and rotate just when I first open the save. Though it's good to just have a main family in a save too.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png