Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

School/University Ep

BiggieCheeseBiggieCheese Posts: 435 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I had this idea a while back, and I starting writing it in a text file because it's quite long. I then completely forgot about it and while searching for my bts photos file, I found it and decided to post it here. It's not finished, because I literally forgot everything I had thought of, but if I think of something I'll update this little discussion. I'll just post it now: (I did not realize how long this actually was :D) Also, feel free to add any judgements or other ideas relating to this topic. :)

Hello everyone.

Toddler/young child education

Playschool, Preschool and Kindergarten

Playschool would be a place to send your toddler off to when you need a little break. You would send your toddler there at 9 am and then you can pick them up anytime before 8 pm, if you don't collect them before that time they'll automatically return. You can sign your toddler up for playschool immediately after they age up. They won't require any skills for playschool. It'll increase all of their needs, especially fun, and works as a daycare. They'll also be able to meet other toddlers and get a little taste of how to make friends.

Preschool would only be available for toddlers with a certain level in certain skills, like level 2 in potty and perhaps thinking. It'll begin at 9 or 10 am and end 3 hours later. It would also be optional, just like playschool. Toddlers would also increase their skills at school, skills like thinking, imagination and communication. It will also increase some of their needs, like fun, attention, hunger and sometimes energy.

Kindergarten would be where the 'young child' life stage would come in. Kindergarten would be mandatory for young children. It would begin at 9 am and end at 1:30 pm. Their skills would increase and they would no longer take naps at school. They would also get homework, which would occasionally require older sims to help them. They could also sometimes get scripts for school plays, which would also require older sims to help them memorize their lines. You'll get a notification saying that your sim will be performing x role in a school play. Example: 'Emily will be playing a bunny in the school play, 'Freezer bunny adventures'. The play will take place on Thursday at 7:30 pm.' You could also be able to pick your child's costume for the play and other sims in the household could go and watch your sim perform. They could also occasionally bring home art they made at school.

How would the young child life stage differ from the toddler or child life stage?
Young children would be taller and more mature than toddlers, but shorter and less mature than children. Young children would be able to eat in a chair and wouldn't need to use a potty chair. They would no longer wear diapers either. Young children will be more likely to be energetic or playful. They are also a lot more independent, intelligent and social than toddlers. I found a website with some of the developmental milestones of younger children, which you can find here: "http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/preschool/Pages/Developmental-Milestones-4-to-5-Year-Olds.aspx" Also, occasionally they might need help from adults to put on their clothes, eat their food or just do a lot of things. So if they fail on putting their clothing on they might not be wearing a top, and then older sims will have the option to help them out. The more they practice putting on clothing and eating by themselves, the better they'll get at it. I also found a post made by adventfear about a few ideas for young children and preteens which you can find here: "http://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/675926/i-think-two-new-ages-should-be-added-for-sims-4-young-child-and-preteen"

School Selection

Children and teenagers would be able to choose their own schools. There would be multiple public, private and boarding schools to choose from. You would need to get an adult to sign the child or teenager up for the school on the computer after they age up. You could also have the option to be home-schooled.

Public school choices would include:

1 community school (without uniforms)
1-2 different schools (with different uniforms)
Girl's school (with or without uniforms)
Boy's school (with or without uniforms)

These different types of schools could most likely be easily added, due to the fact that you don't actually follow your sim to school. The only actual difference between the schools would be the uniforms. For example: One school could have a red uniform and another could have a grey uniform. The girl's schools and boy's schools are just there because personally, I go to a girl's school and I think that it could be fun to have the option. Each elementary school would have a middle school and high school equivalent of the same or similar name or uniform, and preteens and teenagers would automatically be enrolled into that school if they haven't selected a school after the day they age up.

To get into a private school, you would need a scholarship from a kindergarten for children, elementary school for preteens, or middle school for teenagers. Different ways to get a scholarship could include:

Being in class on time
Behaving well at school
Having high grades in each class (or just certain classes)
Having high skills
Completing assignments or school projects on time

Or you could just pay for a scholarship if you've got the big bucks.

Private schools choices would be extremely similar to the public school choices, with all of the schools having school uniforms and a subject they focus on the most, like one school could focus on art and another on science.

On the topic of school uniforms, you wouldn't be able to change most parts of the uniforms, but you would be able to pick:

Between a skirt, trousers or shorts
Socks and other small accessories
Shoes
Hair

Boarding schools would work the same way as they did in the Sims 3, you'd be able to choose from a couple of schools:

Military School (Increases logic, athletic and handiness. Can also help graduates concentrate more on some activities or homework, make them less likely to get fatigued after working out or tense after cleaning, and make them more likely to be focused and less likely to be playful. Your sim could also gain a new trait, the serious trait)

Arts school (Increases comedy, cooking, guitar, piano, violin and painting; and singing, dancing and baking if you have City Living, Get Together and Get to Work, and the new skill, drama. Can help graduates enjoy activities that increase the previous skills more, make higher quality food, songs or paintings and make them more likely to be inspired. Your sim could also earn the music lover, creative or the new trait, drama queen/king)

Prep school (Increases logic, charisma and writing skill. Can help graduates get higher grades in university, study more efficiently and make them more likely to be focused or confident. Your sim could also get genius, bookworm, snob, perfectionist, ambitious or the new trait, show-off)

Science school (Increases logic, programming, rocket science, fishing and gardening skills. Can help graduates concentrate more on science related activities, get higher grades in the Science and Medicine major at university, and make them more likely to be focused. Your sim could also earn the genius, perfectionist or geek)

Sports school (Increases fitness skill and its 'sub-skills', as I like to call them (I'll get to that later). Can help graduates enjoy doing sports activities more, make them less likely to get fatigued or dirty after working out, perform better in the athletic career and make them more likely to be energized or confident. Your sim could also gain the active trait.)

Sub-skills

A 'sub-skill' would be a skill within a skill. For example, the logic skill would have sub-skills like maths, language, geography, history etc. Doing certain activities like studying a map would increase the logic skill and the geography sub-skill. The fitness skill would have sub-skills like basketball, football, tennis etc. The sub-skills would be found by clicking on the skill in the skill bar. You'd then be able to see how high your sim's sub-skills are. Sub-skills, sub-skills, sub-skills. Skill doesn't even look like a word anymore.

Child education

Elementary/primary school

Elementary school would be practically the same as it is now, but you'd have more involvement in the child's education. After you select which school your sim is going to, they'd go to school as normal. The first visible difference is that their skills (and sub-skills!) will increase while at school. Only certain skills will increase at a time. All child skills will increase at school. Children also get this new dandy thing called a 'class panel'. When you get to the school panel, there will be a little thing in the corner you can press which will bring you to the new class panel. In there, it will show you a little box for each subject. One for maths, simlish, history etc. Each little box will have a grade and a grade bar. Hovering over one will tell you which skills or activities will improve that grade. You'll also be able to check if you have any homework, school projects or assignments you need to complete. You'll also be able to choose what you want to do in each class, like sleeping through maths, chatting through history or studying hard for science. Children, just like their previous life stage, would also be able to partake in school plays. Once again they would get a little notification and their lines for the play. You can also choose for your child to audition for a bigger role in the play. They'll be more likely to get the part if their social skill is high and they've studied their lines. If they do get the part, they might get a singing part too, which means they'll need to study the song as well. Once again you can choose their costume and other sims in the household can go with them. Other things they might get from school are assignments. Assignments would be given to children a bit like extra homework. They might need to write a story or book report for school, write and essay, or complete a maths worksheet. They'll have a couple of days to finish and when they do their grades will increase. Talent shows will also now be a thing. Children can group up or perform alone. They'll prepare a singing or drama routine and then you'll get their result when they come home. Parents might also have to come in for parent-teacher meetings on some days.

Preteen Education

Preteens would go to middle school instead of elementary or high school. Preteens, just like children, would also have a class panel that works in the same way as they do for children. They'll get more assignments and might get more homework on certain days. Preteens can also take part in talent shows. Once again, parent-teacher meetings are a thing. At the end of the week preteens will get reports from school showing how their grades are. They will need to get them signed by parents.
~Keep on chit-chatting, saying this and that
Talkin talkin talkin
I do what I do, so you do you
Dirty dirty
You can’t stop me lovin’ myself
~
Post edited by BiggieCheese on

Comments

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have been saying we need something like this forever. I love your ideas! I would love to see some kind of education/university type ep that would focus on more education options in general for all age groups. Building off of your ideas i'd also like to see them add an education career that was like the active careers from GTW. They could be preschool, elementary, middle, or high school teachers. They could also be college professors, principals, or deans. This ep would also add different universities, community colleges, and trade schools for YA and older. I know its a lot to add in one ep but I would love to see something like this.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • BiggieCheeseBiggieCheese Posts: 435 Member
    @fruitsbasket101 I can't believe I missed the whole education as a job aspect of this! It's a great idea and should honestly have been an option since the beginning. Another idea could be to run a school kind of like a business. As in you can build your own school, control what students enroll in your school, specify what type of school it, hire teachers etc.
    Talkin talkin talkin
    Dirty dirty
    ~
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    @BiggieCheese Ikr. I don't know why the education career is never in the base game. It seem like such an obvious career choice to have. I would honestly be so happy if we were able to build and run my own schools. I've tried to make my own boarding schools in ts3 but its not the same as actually getting to run your own with teachers, schedules, and have the kids and such actually attend with out you having them in your household.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I would love more activities with schooling because again what does kids and teens life evolve around education I would want field trips back for the kids the kids hands parents a permission slip the parents sign or dont and whoever signs gets to go whoever don't well they don't and get a moodlet about stuck in school.

Teens homework should be do research on computer, study group, take notes in class to help homework. Work in midterm paper and study for test finals also like college have them in a grade and we will also now what age they are like Freshmen, Sophomore etc. Above their name.
    @Briana2425 Teens should definitely have more homework and homework-related activities. Basically making the education system in the Sims alot more realistic would do wonders to add imersion to the game, and field trips are a no-brainer. Field trips should honestly be in the base game along with after-school activites.
    Talkin talkin talkin
    Dirty dirty
    ~
  • jessthesimmerjessthesimmer Posts: 15 Member
    I really want University Life for TS4. I know there is a mod for it, and the person who created the mod did a great job, but I cannot get it to work for me for some reason, and I really just want University Life for TS4 exactly like it is for TS3.
    @jessthesimmer UL is a really important aspect of alot of people's games, including mine. The mod doesn't work for me either, and it's quite a shame. I hope we get a pack which includes UL in the near future. But in the mean time, I found a different university mod. It is a rabbit hole career, but I just thought I'd mention it incase anyone wants to try it: http://modthesims.info/d/608528
    Talkin talkin talkin
    Dirty dirty
    ~
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018
    I want a school EP awfully much! :)
  • jessthesimmerjessthesimmer Posts: 15 Member
    @BiggieCheese Thank you so much! I will definitely try this out.
    No problem :)
    Talkin talkin talkin
    Dirty dirty
    ~
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Has anyone tried making a club of teens and club of kids with an adult as the leader and either meeting in a public spot or creating a room in your sims home to teach. Sort of like teaching a group of your friends kids at home. You could make the rules doing homework, reading, science experiments and drawing/coloring. It would have to happen after sim school but it would give you the idea of a home school pack.
    thats a neat idea! thanks for sharing @Dannydanbo
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making a club of teens and club of kids with an adult as the leader and either meeting in a public spot or creating a room in your sims home to teach. Sort of like teaching a group of your friends kids at home. You could make the rules doing homework, reading, science experiments and drawing/coloring. It would have to happen after sim school but it would give you the idea of a home school pack.

I do this to pretend my sim kids are in an actual school.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• JadeLJadeL Posts: 3 New Member
    I like the thought of it being the various stages of schooling, unlike sims 2 that just had University. The idea of detention could even be introduced.
    yeah i mean why just university? why stop there? whats the point of realism in one aspect and not another similar area. University and elementary/high school are a big important step in most kids life. So why not implement that?
    You can't get to university without making it through primary, elementary and high school first. So...I just really hope we get a realistic education system. One where theres good and bad outcomes also. Not just "everyone" passes and graduates in the end. Oh and graduations too.
  • stelliestellie Posts: 30 Member
    I love your ideas- and this is one of the best yet!! <3
    I really really like this! Its so unique and special and I would love to have it in the game! Plus, as you said, it seems possible to implement mainly because you don't follow them to school! Well done, dude! Really hope to see more ideas like this <3
    So, this thread isnt focused on active school, but just another form of "pretend" school? I really think you have some great ideas there, but I really want the option to follow my kids to school :)
    @flowerkitten67 In my opinion, school should remain a rabbithole kind of an experience, but you can visit during special events. (School plays, first day, graduation etc.) In a perfect world, all the schools would be playable, but that's a little unrealistic. Perhaps certain schools, colleges and universities could be active, while others are not, so that people could have the choice. :)
    Talkin talkin talkin
    Dirty dirty
    ~
    Why should high school be an rabbit hole and not university? Why not make university a rabbit hole too then? If its so great?

I dont like rabbit hole schools at all. So Im gonna exit thread. Jumping from rabbit hole to university is jarring and silly in my opinion.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited April 2018
    @BiggieCheese I like the rabbit hole as a school effect because that's to many Sims to follow and quite possibly might crash into get to work when someone is trying to go to work. All those ideas including a middle school for Preteens are great I mean we need levels like kids/grade school can be easy they have the notebooks, the projects from Parenthood, study the hamster, and add field trips and see what they learned from that field trips and yeah.
    Preteens/Middle school should have more homework to do including research a topic the teacher gives writing essays or paragraph and have field trips but not as often as kids.
    Teens/highschool more homework, write essays, and term paper, research whatever topic, study for college, also a test to get into college. Teens can have prom, homecoming, learn to drive.
    Post edited by Briana2425 on
  • prachisarodeprachisarode Posts: 1 New Member
    Great post regarding play school. It is necessary for child. Playing is the best method to learn a child. This is attractive method for kids. :)
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    I liked everything up to the pre teen idea.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif