Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Whim Challenge, for the lols

I've complained a lot about how annoying a lot of whims are in their current state. I know a lot of people just ignore them, but I actually LIKE playing with whim IN THEORY, but there's definitely a lot that's nonsensical and silly about them lol. So, I had a thought: what if I played a game where I at least attempted to play every whim, and ONLY whims? I know there's a whim challenge out there already, but this would be a bit more extreme. I'd start on an empty lot, and I would ONLY build/buy stuff that I got a whim for, or until I was absolutely forced to or die (I've noticed there are whims like "buy a toilet" when you don't have one, and I'm curious what would happen if you really went with that, lol).

Idk, just a thought I had, lol.

Comments

• SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,225 Member
    Sounds like that could be a lot of fun, or a lot of frustration. Go for it!
    image.png
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I play mainly with whims and autonomy but I don't go to that extreme with the whims...lol I have played like that with TS2 while doing the legacy challenge and it was both fun and frustrating all at the same time...LOL (c:

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I wonder how many tvs or other things I would end up with "from not owning it already"......

I imagine lots of dishwashers. Do they get whims for more counters if they don't have any counters left to put a dishwasher in?
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Come to think of it, this is a challenge I am up for! ( in a different save, of course)
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Can you imagine all the pool lights and 1x1 pool whims they'd get because they don't have that luxury? LOL
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Cement wrote: »
    Can you imagine all the pool lights and 1x1 pool whims they'd get because they don't have that luxury? LOL

Right here makes me want to try this at some point!!! Love your profile pic by the way.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    There's a challenge in TS3 called a Wishacy which is a legacy where you have to fulfill the wishes of your founder/heir (and the other members of the family but not as much) which was pretty fun.

Now in TS4, whims are kinda weird and random and most are not that deep or interesting so I don't know how that would work but I am interested to see that...
  • LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I just tried this and played the game for a few sim days. My sim currently has a stove (but no counters or fridge so she can't cook), a toilet, an easel, a toy (because she's childish), a frog, a bunch of fossils, a basketball hoop, a pool, pool ladder, pool light, and a hot tub. She keeps getting whims to research vampire lore, but she has no computer. And she has no where to sleep, so she has to nap on benches. And she uses the hot tub to raise her hygiene since she doesn't have a shower.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Louise_WordsworthLouise_Wordsworth Posts: 33 Member
    Hahah I love this idea! I normally ignore whims but I need to train myself to pay attention to them because I always need more aspiration points!

The whim to research vampires, could she do that at the library? Or do you not travel without whims either? Do you have walls/rooms, or just a grassy lot? I need screenshots!

Right here makes me want to try this at some point!!! Love your profile pic by the way.

My sims always get the whim for 1x1 pools or pool lights :sob: Also, thank you <3 I see Shinya is still active in his love life :joy:
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    My sim wished for a dryer, but she already has one. and they are always wishing for a pool. They hardly every get one. and if they wish to use a computer for research I take them to the library.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Okay, so I started this, lol (so cool to see other people doing it too omg!) I was kinda feeling it out, what exactly the "rules" were gonna be--like, I still need to get needs filled somehow. So, basically, I let myself direct action to feel needs, but only when it's run down enough to actually be uncomfortable or whatever. Also, I've been trying to only leave the lot when I get the whim to, or when invited out, but it's kinda fuzzy in some places--like, if I get whim to do something that I don't have the equipment for yet, should the procedure be to buy the thing necessary (assuming I can afford it) or leave the lot, even if I haven't gotten the whim or been invited? I've been playing it by ear, but I might try this again after the current "beta test" run, lol.

Anyway, I started off with an unfurnished house, and after about a day this is what it looked like, lol.
    9cd2OzS.png

And this after abut a week
    I6Fa2La.png
    Ooh, what are your sim's traits? I assume dependent on them they'd actually trigger more or less weird whims.

I see she wanted not one, but two chess tables. :joy:
    Ooh, what are your sim's traits? I assume dependent on them they'd actually trigger more or less weird whims.

Ah yes, totally! I also was wondering how it would different with apartment living. I'm playing with a Princess Leia sim I downloaded from the gallery, with only minimal tweaks. The only change I made was to switch her aspiration fro Renaissance Sim to Nerd Brain. the mental aspiration i think is how she ended up with a bookshelf, microscope, chess set and card table lol. Anyway, the traits she came with were Good, Self Assured, and Geek, and I definitely wonder how things would play differently with, say, a hotheaded or loner sim, lol. I'm feeling like this challenge might actually have a lot of replay value, so i'm definitely thinking of trying it again once I've worked out the kinks :-P
    FanPhoria wrote: »

Ah yes, totally! I also was wondering how it would different with apartment living. I'm playing with a Princess Leia sim I downloaded from the gallery, with only minimal tweaks. The only change I made was to switch her aspiration fro Renaissance Sim to Nerd Brain. the mental aspiration i think is how she ended up with a bookshelf, microscope, chess set and card table lol. Anyway, the traits she came with were Good, Self Assured, and Geek, and I definitely wonder how things would play differently with, say, a hotheaded or loner sim, lol. I'm feeling like this challenge might actually have a lot of replay value, so i'm definitely thinking of trying it again once I've worked out the kinks :-P

Ooh, I see! Yep, definitely the aspiration there :joy: I'd love to see your second run in apartment living!

Loner doesn't impact much unless they're around a lot of people, hot-headed whims mostly consist of "Be mean to [sim]" or "try to calm down using mirror"/ punching bag/etc, whatever's on the lot I think. Then again, that's probably if they already have all they need. Maybe it's different when they have nothing :joy:
    FanPhoria wrote: »

Ooh, I see! Yep, definitely the aspiration there :joy: I'd love to see your second run in apartment living!

Loner doesn't impact much unless they're around a lot of people, hot-headed whims mostly consist of "Be mean to [sim]" or "try to calm down using mirror"/ punching bag/etc, whatever's on the lot I think. Then again, that's probably if they already have all they need. Maybe it's different when they have nothing :joy:

Well, with loner what I was thinking about was that darn "meet someone new" whim that comes up whenever a sim is happy or confidant, lol. Like, as it is, I'm already kinda running out of new people, but with a loner sim that means they're gonna want to meet someone new and then always IMMEDIATELY GET TENSE ABOUT IT. Like, usually with loner sims I ignore those whims cause it doesn't really fit them, but with this, well...
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    One of my sims got the whim for a 1x1 pool and I get so tired of seeing it that I finally gave this sim just that - a 1x1 pool! They can actually jump in and go around in a circle to swim laps - hahaha! Of course - the pool light whim came right after! Good luck with your whim challenge! If you want to get the house filled up quickly - use the materialistic trait - they always want more stuff.
  • erintheplumboberintheplumbob Posts: 8 New Member
    Haha, bookmarked! This is such a good idea, I'm gonna do this right now xD
    It's been 10 sim days, and my sim Oriana now has a job, and I've built her a house. She still doesn't have a bed, a shower, or a fridge, but now she has 2 hot tubs
    w5Jl6DP.png

And here she is swimming in her tiny pool
    2J7Nm6B.png
    Am I too lost?
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Ok I want to try this too. I usually try to play with whims for important stuff like adopt a pet or ask... To be girlfriend.

Do sims get a whim to have a job? I don't think I've ever seen that.
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Ok I want to try this too. I usually try to play with whims for important stuff like adopt a pet or ask... To be girlfriend.

My sim had a whim to start a new career when she was feeling confident
    Am I too lost?
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I tried this for a while. My sim just wanted to obsessively do laundry and start hoops challenges lol.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

My non-committal sim gets whims to start a career
  • erintheplumboberintheplumbob Posts: 8 New Member
    This was really difficult because I tried doing it but she wanted to pet a dog so I had to travel to a place to see one since none were in that neighbourhood.. I don't know if this is cheating or not. I had to wait for like, a legit five minutes before she changed emotions and actually got whims and all of those she couldn't do at her home lot. Is travelling allowed? Plus, she wanted to adopt the dog and I'm not sure if you're supposed to get to know the dog a bit better first because it wasn't letting me adopt it, but that seems like cheating too. :(
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    If you're playing a sim who hates children and want to play a 'Whimacy', you've got to pray for a whim to woohoo cause that's the only loophole you're going to get for them to have a child. :wink: