March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SerraNolwen's random legacy chronicles - The Aling legacy

SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 730 Member
Hello everyone!

I've started a random legacy a little while ago out of boredom, and since it has turned out to make some interesting stories, I thought I'd like to keep track of it all. Here I will list the challenge criteria I've rolled and write what happens in the game. I might sometimes stray from the exact rules in order to do something I really want to do with the current generation. I'm also not stopping if one criteria doesn't work out. I'm not treating this so much as a challenge as a way to spice up my game. I also draw inspiration from RainyDayz' Stages challenge, but am not actually doing it. Still, do check the challenge out if you want even more details and changing goals than a random legacy, it's pretty nice. :)

While I enjoy writing and will try to make something fun out of it (otherwise, why would I share?), I want to keep it easy and unstressful. As such, I'll just be writing here rather than dealing with wordpress. Also, updates will likely be sporadic and unequal, with rather few pictures.

Still, if you decide to follow along, enjoy the read and feel free to comment!

I went through the whole first generation before making that decision, so no pictures of that. Oops! I'll try to give a quick recap of what happened in the next post.

Comments

• SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 730 Member
    edited March 2018
    Agata Aling was the founder of this family. She rented a nice and large apartment in San Myshuno when she got a business job.

On her first day off, she went to the library in her hometown of Willowcreek. There, she met a few people and ended up chatting with them in the nearby park. She made a few friends that day, but one of them attracted her slightly more. When she finally got the courage to ask Salim if he'd like to go on a date sometime later, she found out he was actually her neighbor! Agata was slightly embarrassed about not having greeted her new neighbors in the first couple days, but there were no hard feelings. After dating for a while, Agata and Salim got married and moved in together. They also had their first son.

Salim managed to bring in a nice sum of money with his work as a painter, but some time after they had their second child, Emilie, he had some sort of existential crisis about the value of his art and gave up his job. He somehow got entangled with a small band of criminals, but managed to get out of there after a couple of days. Then, he decided to become an astronaut, which wasn't a great success, but at least he was safe cleaning equipment on the ground rather than heading off into space, and it was better than being a criminal. Meanwhile, Agata was climbing the ranks at work.

When Agata was nearing her fourties, she grew worried about her appearance. Salim wasn't giving her much attention since he'd got his new job. What if he was as fickle about women as he was about work? Or what if she just wasn't good enough anymore? Had she simply become the mother of his children? One day, she gave up. She encountered a man who was an acquaintance of hers, and after some flirting, brought him back home. When Salim found out she was cheating, he flew into a rage. No amount of excuses would help, and soon Agata was becoming aggravated as well and throwing back insult for insult. Good thing the kids weren't home to see this. The discussion grew so heated that Salim suddenly tensed and dropped to the floor. He had had a heart attack.

Agata mourned Salim and felt awful about all that had happened, and it was perhaps worse when she found out that one dalliance had brought a surprise with it: she was pregnant again. When she told Joaquin, he was surprisingly calm. He insisted on helping her raise the child, and while she couldn't bring herself to marry him, she did end up letting him move in. He wasn't the greatest prospect, the only work he did was some occasional freelance programming and he couldn't do anything very complex, but he did help a great deal at home and took great care of his son.

After the untimely and strange deaths of both her new boyfriend and Mattheus, her eldest son ((what can I say, I had to find a way to fulfill the Haunted House goal)), Agata decided what was left of her family needed some time in a peaceful place to mourn and to repair their broken hearts. They rented a lodge in Granite Falls for as long as they could without the kids getting held back a year at school. There, they had a quiet birthday for Emilie, who was now a young adult. At the end of the school year, she would finally get to start looking for a job of her own.
    Post edited by SerraNolwen on
    Ok, I think that sums up the very eventful first generation. Now for the criteria of second generation, as I've decided Emilie will be the heir: She is to be a single parent of five children (that won't be easy) and work as a food critic. She will be a flea market fanatic and go through a midlife crisis.
    edited March 2018
    Emilie applied for a job when they came back from camping. She'd start only as a newspaper delivery person, but she managed to prove her worth, and after the first day, her employers immediately offered her a raise and a day-job with a more regular schedule. For now she's just doing research for other people's articles, but she's sure she'll manage to get her own column someday.

Someone new also moved in next door! ((I've been randomly generating sims, giving them jobs and a few skill points by playing them in another save before putting them on the gallery and into my legacy save, just so the town gets peopled with more interesting and better-looking sims than the ones the game generates)) When she saw the name Jill Glisar on the mailbox, Emilie thought it was a strange name, and she soon found out why! When she knocked on the door of her noisy neighbor, an undisguised alien showed up! Despite the initial shock, they ended up chatting along with Emilie's guest, Shingo, her friend from high school. In fact, Jill and Emilie got along very well. Jill even flirted a little once they were alone, and Emilie didn't mind at all. She's not sure where she wants this to go, as she does want a big family some day, but for now they're just getting to know each other. Emilie invited her when they went on a family outing to the park. She couldn't help laughing when Jill started making jokes about the play structure that was supposed to look like a space ship. They even took a picture together in front of it.

28bgwpf.png
    Post edited by SerraNolwen on
    Emilie got another promotion. She is now actually writing articles. Shingo ((her high school friend whose name I got wrong yesterday)) asked her out on a date. It was fun, they talk and joked around a lot and played baby-foot. It didn't turn out so great, however, because after a while, Shingo just wouldn't let go of the baby-foot table, so Emilie had a drink and talked to other people at the bar until she got annoyed enough to leave. The next day, she decided to give him another chance and invited him to her home while everyone else was out to work or school. Again, they had a nice enough time, and they even ended up woo-hooing, but he left almost right after that.

Later, the whole family went to the park again. Emilie made a chocolate cake to surprise her mom, since it was her birthday. So after some fishing and playing chess together, they ate the cake at a picnic table. Now that she's an elder, Agata decided to retire. It's time for her to make up for the time she didn't spend with her youngest son, Sebastian.

1zf3i2e.png

Not long after, Emilie found out that she was pregnant! She had a hard time imagining Shingo living with her and taking care of children, considering his attitude the last few times they'd been together. She called him and offered they go out to a lounge in the city. That's where she decided to explain the whole thing to him, as he was trying the bubble blower. He looked rather shocked when she announced that she was pregnant, and took it very well when she explained that she would rather raise the child alone, and that she thought it was best they just stay friends. When she came back home, Emilie felt relieved that this meeting went so well and she had plenty of content to write a column about the lounge.

72vnzc.png
    Emilie is getting a little worried about her mom. Even after Sebastian became a teenager, she kept watching the children's channel on tv. She really has changed since she took her retirement. She looks like she doesn't know what to do, and instead of picking up a hobby, she's just watching those silly shows. The birth of Emilie's son, Jacob, seems to have helped a little, as taking care of the baby gave her something to do. It's not just that, though. Agata has been talking about the deceased as if they were with her, as if they had just spoken about the most recent news. Emilie has also heard her talking in the middle of the night, sometimes, and it didn't sound like the usual cooing with the baby.

Meanwhile, Emilie started to specialize at work. She is now a food critic who just also occasionally goes to the flea market and writes about it. Well, for now, in terms of food critique, she has only gone to various bars and judged their drinks, but hey, you've got to start somewhere. She's also meeting a lot of interesting people as she visits places for work, which she enjoys.

apeotf.png

Emilie also finally decided to go out with Jill, her alien neighbor. It seems they spend so much time together, and it just fits, so they are starting to date.

When Jacob grew a little older and started to walk and talk, Emilie was happy to see him grow up, but she longed for more. She told Jill about it, of course, and they talked about it for a long time. Emilie didn't want to just adopt children. She thinks there's just a special bond between a mother and her biological children. So she ended up meeting again with a friendly man she had met at the flea market and spent quite a lot of time with. They were friends, no more, but she managed to convince him to give her what she wants. They will try to have children, and she will have full custody of them. He seemed fine with that.

As for Sebastian, well, he keeps mostly to himself, not so interested in what his mother and sister do. He has developed a love of sports and spends most of his time running outside, playing basketball or training at the gym. He's doing just the minimum required for school.
    Agata passed away recently. Everyone mourned. Jacob was just old enough not to be sad without really understanding what was going on. Not long after, Emilie decided to get all those urns that her mother had kept to the cemetery, along with her mom's. It was getting a little creepy, what with the weird noises disturbing her sleep and the memories of her mother's late ramblings about the after-life.

Emilie did get pregnant. To show her support about the whole situation, Jill invited her to Chez Llama during her last trimester. That was good both for their relation and Emilie's job. She really enjoyed the food and wrote a great critique which was published as soon as she went back to work after the birth of Niklas.

hteo43.png

Emilie was also asked to go to the spice festival and write a review. That went quite well, but it was a lot of food to try, and some of it was far too spicy for Emilie. When Sebastian suggested they go to the gym the next Saturday morning, Emilie agreed. With the pregnancy and all the food she had to eat for work, she was a little worried about what might happen to her body shape someday. They called a babysitter and went for the day. Since Emilie was tired long before Sebastian had had enough, she spent some time talking to the people who were hanging out there. She enjoyed this day quite a bit. And came back ready for some tasty gourmet food.
    Oops, haven't updated this in a while! A lot of time has passed since the last update, but very little drama happened, which gives Emilie a nice break. She's had enough drama for a lifetime.

As soon as Sebastian was old enough to live on his own, he told his sister he was getting an apartment in another district. He got a job in an intelligence agency, but that he didn't tell her about. She did wonder how he would manage to afford the apartment he picked, but didn't think about it too much. They close enough to trust that if something goes wrong, they can count on each other.

Niklas' father has been constantly showing up at the apartment. It's sometimes a little annoying because he tends to stick around for quite some time and eat whatever Emilie has cooked up, but at least he does help take care of Niklas a little. Emilie decided to try having yet more children, and she has found yet another father for them. She's had two kids with him so far, and is expecting another. She'll have her hands quite full, but she's happy with that. She loves being surrounded by the whole family, and she has the means to hire a nanny when she goes to work.

What about the kids? Well, Jacob is now a teenager and helps out quite a lot in the house with chores and taking care of the youngest, Rudolf. People who meet him outside the house would probably think he is somewhat plain. With school and all the stuff at home, he has little time to go out or develop particular interests or skills. To relax, he mostly watches movies.

Niklas is doing ok in school. There are some classes he can't get himself to care about, so he doesn't do his homework quite as often as he should, but he loves science and he always wants to try experiments.

Finally there is Rebecka, the only girl so far. She didn't speak much as a toddler, but she is a happy child nonetheless and will be starting school very soon.
    More updates! I played a little more today after I posted the last one, which was mostly a recap of the last couple days of game.

This week-end, Emilie realized she had been kind of neglecting her relationship with Jill. They went to Chez Llama again and had a wonderful meal, although the tea Emilie ordered along with dessert was bad.

The children are growing up fast. Only Amanda is left at home, the others are all in school. Niklas made lots of friends when he was in elementary, but now he's moved on to high school and has to meet new people again. Rebecka tends to keep to herself a little more, always day-dreaming, reading and playing with her dolls.

By the way, now that all children are born, I've picked the heir: it will be Niklas.
    The Aling family has decided to adopt a dog. There are plenty of people to take care of little Horchata (I've downloaded him off the gallery, can't remember the creator's name :S), but Jacob and Niklas are the ones taking care of him for the most part. Here's a picture of the dog. It's not the best picture, but Horchata is a lazy dog who spends a lot of time lounging under the kitchen table, where pictures are harder to take:

2vja7g5.png

Rebecka and Rudolf tend to spend their evenings after school wandering about the district. Rudolf has started a collection of snow globes which he's been picking up from who-know's where, while Rebecka tends to just wander around and look at the sky more than at who she might be bumping into.

Emilie hasn't been progressing much at work. She has a very good job, but she can't seem to find much time write outside of working hours, not even for more in-depth reviews. With dates, outings with friends, helping the children with their homework and projects and catching up with Sebastian when she gets the chance to, she's got her hands very full.

Speaking of her brother, I set aging off for a little while so I can play him. That way, the extended family does have some kind of story and progression. Sebastian is doing fine at work, but has yet to really progress as he would like in his career. Sebastian is still as obsessed with sports and health as he was when he was a teenager, so he bought an exercise machine in order to work out at home. However, he is also an early bird, and his morning routine tends to anger his neighbors (also downloaded on the gallery), especially when he manages to wake up at 4 am.

1060mf5.png
    Still working on Sebastian's life. On Wednesday after work, he got a call from his nephew, (Jacob, more precisely) ton invite him over. Sebastian was in great need of some fresh air, however, so he suggested they meet at the park instead. They spent some time chatting about all kinds of things and even fished a little in the pond. It was a nice, relaxing evening that gave Sebastian the energy to tackle the second half of the week.

By the end of the week, Sebastian finally was promoted to field agent. Rather than celebrating with family or friends (he can't really tell them, anyway), he decided to volunteer at the soup kitchen and share is happiness, if not the reason for it. Perhaps he'd meet some interesting people there, too. Contacts among other groups? Friendly faces? Who knows. No one in particular really struck Sebastian in the end, but it was still worth it.
    A couple more days in Sebastian's life. He spent Saturday at the park jogging and playing chess with strangers. Then, on Sunday, he decided to visit Brindleton Bay. He spent some time and the bar after going for a jog on the docks. There, he kept stopping what he was doing to look at stray cats. He couldn't stop himself and kept trying to talk to them, lure them towards him, feed them treats and, when he got the chance, pet them. After that, it was back to his usual routine of work and working out.
    I'm now back with the main family. There have been a lot of birthdays in a short amount of time. First, Emilie became forty years old. She made a cake as usual and blew her candles so the kids wouldn't worry, but that really hit her. To cheer herself up, she got a new haircut and bought a whole lot of new clothes, as well as a big, comfy bed to replace the old one she had. Then, she came back home and realized a bed was probably the least "young" thing she could have bought to convince herself that she was still young and cool. She locked herself in her room and decided to focus on her writing. At some point, she thought a cat would be a nice companion in those moments, and so she adopted one as well. Tartine loves sneaking up to unattended plates of food - especially fish tacos - while everyone is eating in the dining room.

68lc.png

122f8fc.png

While Emilie is focusing on her career once again and trying to write even better reviews, the kids are growing up. Jacob became an adult and announced that he would be leaving the house and trying to make it as a social media personality. Living in his own apartment, rather than being surrounded by children, would do him good, so that's exactly what he decided to do. Rebecka started high school. Niklas presented her to his friends, so the transition wasn't too difficult. In fact, she quickly became friends with Mariko. Amanda is now old enough to start school as well. We will see how this goes.
    Rather little has happened, but I figured I'd put an update on here. Over the week-end, the family has taken it rather easy. Rebecka hung out with Mariko again and spent some time getting to know the dog better by taking it for a walk. Jacob was out there selling stuff, so she stopped by to talk to him, and soon Rudolf was joining them too. His eyesight must be amazing to spot his older brother down on the plazza from the apartment windows. They spent some time chatting. Jacob was writing a piece on the hardships of selling things on the street, or something. Niklas also tried to prank his uncle on the phone, but Sebastian must have recognized his voice: it didn't work.
    It's been so long since I last played!

Niklas is now a young adult. For now, he is sticking with his mother and siblings and trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life. His mom suggested he follow her to the spice festival to meet some new people and discover new things. She did have to try out some more interesting foods for her column about food around the world. Niklas didn't really meet anyone interesting, though, and wound up just having fun at the nearby karaoke bar.
    On Saturday, poor Tartine, the family cat, got very sick. She complained about painful paws, her nose was red and she looked really cold. So Emilie took her to the vet clinic right after breakfast. She had to drive all the way to Brindleton Bay because there is no vet clinic in the city. There, she was told Tartine could get a simple treatment. Tartine wasn't very happy about getting messed with by a stranger and being stuck in a cone, but Emilie was relieved.

2ugksk9.png

Later that day, Niklas asked Mariko, his friend from highschool, if she wanted to go with him to the rooftop bar downtown. They had a lovely chat. As they were joking around at the bubble blower, Mariko encouraged him to try the open-mic comedy. His jokes, though he had not been prepared, had some success. He really enjoyed it, and as soon as he was done, he went back to Mariko to share his happiness. They celebrated with a drink and kept chatting quite late into the night. Niklas found out that, like him, Mariko cares a lot about family. They got along so well, Niklas slipped up and jokingly flirted with Mariko. He was surprised to find that she responded positively to that. Maybe he should ask her on a date sometime soon?