Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IF you bought My First Pet Stuff...

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Every Sims iteration has provided something quirky that I absolutely loved. In TS1 it was the ability to turn your Sim's pet into a Sim. In 2, it was the alien abduction. TS3 had the gnomes and the private detective's stake-out. I think with TS4 it's going to be the strange things your pet rodents can do. This pack got off to a bad start, but I think the hamsters have staying power.

yes I feel like the hamsters will win peoples hearts
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    I love it! I've been on discord with friends who play and we're all enjoying it. My cats and fox love to watch the void critter and they have been on the fish tank table. I am very happy with the game!

you really do not think its a bit of a slap to the face to people who dont own cats and dogs and or people who do own cats and dogs as it just feels like cut content that should have been put into cats and dogs in the first place.

To me that is like saying Kids Stuff and toddler stuff is a slap in the face to kids and toddlers. I LOVE the fact they expand content of other packs as well as base game. Who has not asked for playground stuff or more hands on careers or expanding beaches in some ep towns for swimming.? Would any of those things if they happened, be a slap in the face to people who bought the first pack? Not every thing that expands the game could possibly be free regardless of how many people think otherwise - so getting additional content for previous packs in my veiw is not a slap in the face but it is a plus when it expands on a good idea.

I think the only ones getting a slap in the face is people who appreciate getting more stuff for pets that wanted more stuff - and who might not get more stuff in future packs because of the outrage. To me I will feel sad if that happens and wonder if they will ever revisit more pets in the future because of this. I was hoping for a farm pack in the future and maybe even witches having familiars. Well I worry if the outsage from this stuff pack may result in us getting neither - as EA may tell Maxis not to let this happen again.

Then it will be us that wanted more that gets the slap in the face.

don't worry I hear the pack is doing well and in the end thats what counts
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Every Sims iteration has provided something quirky that I absolutely loved. In TS1 it was the ability to turn your Sim's pet into a Sim. In 2, it was the alien abduction. TS3 had the gnomes and the private detective's stake-out. I think with TS4 it's going to be the strange things your pet rodents can do. This pack got off to a bad start, but I think the hamsters have staying power.

That is where you are wrong. The pack says it is "my first pet" which is deceptive. Rodents, birds, and reptiles are first pets. They are all small caged pets. In fact my first irl pet was a fancy parakeet. When I saw it was just rodents, that was the first nail in the coffin, the recolors were the second, and the cat and dog stuff was the third nail.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

My little hedgehog has already won my heart. <3
  • robyngravesrobyngraves Posts: 248 Member
    That is where you are wrong. The pack says it is "my first pet" which is deceptive. Rodents, birds, and reptiles are first pets. They are all small caged pets. In fact my first irl pet was a fancy parakeet. When I saw it was just rodents, that was the first nail in the coffin, the recolors were the second, and the cat and dog stuff was the third nail.

As much as I am enjoying this pack, I will agree with you that birds and reptiles deserved a spot in this pack. I don't really mind the recolors and the cat and dog stuff, but the limitations that we got with the small, caged pets was somewhat disappointing.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    My first pet was a calf. My bro's was a baby deer. I don't expect to see those under 'My First Pet'. *shrugs*
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited March 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Yes.. The family I'm playing now won't make much use of the pack.. because most of it very cutesy and it doesn't fit with them. I do have a rat and I'm really enjoying the interactions. I've just got a young adult male sim and a cat in the household otherwise. It's given my play a sweet little boost. I'm enjoying the interactions between all of them. I haven't gone into the disease/death aspect yet though. I'm playing .. nice.. and enjoying it. I want to see the poor guy get ahead. He might have to call forth evil rat death powers though if he get's cornered though.

I did look through CAS and build buy and yes I will use it for the right families. I love the female hairstyle... I had to make a sim for it. I haven't played her yet... she's got a sweet elven face. I'm not usually big on the two tone hairs but really liking how it looks that way. The male hairstyle I can see working but didn't float my boat with many male face shapes yet.. looks great on girls though. I can see using a bunch of the "stuff" with the right families.. honorable mentions to the kids activity table and bookcase.. much cuter than base game. The pet beds for variety, who doesn't want an egg or lemon bed seriously? The new rug .. I love that and can see it in bathrooms and kids rooms ect. The hamster habitat wall decals and the chow down litter box.

It's been a fun glowing game play day. I know these blow over a bit after the newness wears off but hey, I woulda spent more going to the movies. Besides I haven't even played with it all the ways I'm imagining I can.
    I don’t know what movies you go to, but I love spending my money on that. Spending money on a good movie is as valuable as spending money on a good game. And spending money on a bad movie is a shame, a waste of money, like spending money on a bad game is.

(regardless how people judge this pack, this comparison makes absolutely no sense to an enthousiastic moviegoer like me; I also like spending money on books and many of them I’ve carried with me for decades)

I can understand her comparison. I rarely go to the movies. I prefer to wait a couple months and get it on blue ray or purchase from Netflix. I also no longer buy books. Reserve at the library. I'm just now reading Origin by Dan Brown and that was published last year. So people differ on what they're willing to spend their money on.
    Sure, but “I woulda spent more going to the movies” as a general argument doesn’t make much sense to me is what I meant. Like, I wouldn’t spend a dime for a football match. Still there are plenty of people who do. So if I say: “Yeah, I bought this ridiculously overpriced scarf but hey, a football match would have cost me more”, that wouldn’t mean much to people who rather see a football match than buy an expensive scarf. “This pack is totally worth it because if I’d spent it on something that’s not worth it for me it wouldn’t be in my pocket anymore either” just doesn’t really make sense does it? Bottom line is you can only spend your money once. If it was worth it, it was. If it wasn’t, it wasn’t. But it’s not worth it just because it means you didn’t spend it on something else.

Guess what I’m saying is..., it strikes me people constantly seem to try and find excuses for buying this pack?
    I bought the pack it fun for the pets and the fish tank coffee table the rest I could have not paid ten dollars and been happy. But that is me and I'm glad lots of people like it but for me it ranks with the stupid laundry pack we got and the cats & dogs I will never use. I can be a little more free to try packs because the money I'm using was for sims 4.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited March 2018
    The hamster didn't win my heart, as it looks like a hampig and not real hamsters. I got it for the (chubby) rat. I am sure most people's first pets are either fish or birds though. For me it was fish.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

As much as I am enjoying this pack, I will agree with you that birds and reptiles deserved a spot in this pack. I don't really mind the recolors and the cat and dog stuff, but the limitations that we got with the small, caged pets was somewhat disappointing.

See I want those pets to have at least as many interactions and things to do as the rodents do. I'm sure they only animate so much per stuff pack and per gameplay object.. so yeah I don't want snakes that end up like our frogs now. I'm good with all of them having a pack. I'm worried though that birds won't get enough coverage in an SP.
    egTcBMc.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    My First Pet has not won my heart and it definitely did not get my money even it has rodents in it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited March 2018
    My first pet was a calf. My bro's was a baby deer. I don't expect to see those under 'My First Pet'. *shrugs*

I had a deer when I was a kid too. But, no I would not have expected all of the different kinds of animals in a SP. It would have been much better if this was a GP. Then more critters would have stood a better chance of being represented in the game. It could have been divided into a small animal pack and a farm animal pack and faired much better. SP's are limited.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I love it! I've been on discord with friends who play and we're all enjoying it. My cats and fox love to watch the void critter and they have been on the fish tank table. I am very happy with the game!

you really do not think its a bit of a slap to the face to people who dont own cats and dogs and or people who do own cats and dogs as it just feels like cut content that should have been put into cats and dogs in the first place.

I've been on the forums and read most of the comments against the pack but I disagree with them. I never felt C&D felt lacking or incomplete. I love the vet career! The cats and dogs are very well done. I love the build and buy as well and was satisfied with the pack.

I hope they continue to offer us more content for previous packs! That is me. I respect those who feel different and have not posted my thoughts in those threads because I feel everything that needed to be said was being said. I was asked if I thought the pack was worth it and why. I answered.

*Edited because I forgot what thread I was in ;)

Nicely said, I agree!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I've been on the forums and read most of the comments against the pack but I disagree with them. I never felt C&D felt lacking or incomplete. I love the vet career! The cats and dogs are very well done. I love the build and buy as well and was satisfied with the pack.

I hope they continue to offer us more content for previous packs! That is me. I respect those who feel different and have not posted my thoughts in those threads because I feel everything that needed to be said was being said. I was asked if I thought the pack was worth it and why. I answered.

*Edited because I forgot what thread I was in ;)

Nicely said, I agree!

Also agree with this very much.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I really wasn't going to buy it, but I was making a house and thought the fish table would look very nice just there. so I folded and bought it. I like all the new stuff but I haven't bought any of the rodents, except for the science lab. I thought it would give the staff something to play with. I'll be playing more there today. can sims actually add fish to the table?? and can the rodents actually crawl through the pipes on the wall??
    I really wasn't going to buy it, but I was making a house and thought the fish table would look very nice just there. so I folded and bought it. I like all the new stuff but I haven't bought any of the rodents, except for the science lab. I thought it would give the staff something to play with. I'll be playing more there today. can sims actually add fish to the table?? and can the rodents actually crawl through the pipes on the wall??

no to both sorry @feetinstockings the new pets are fun though
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2018
    I decided to put the new round coffee table with fish inside it into a new build i'm doing, it is nice to look at and whoever came up with it has a cool imagination. But I must admit I am a little disappointed at the lack of interactivity, especially since that interactivity is there for other fish tank items so it would have taken little time to code in. With all the other fish tanks you fill them with fish yourself and have the option to 'view' the fish. Nothing like that here, it is just an object. I can't believe it took this long to get a round coffee table too, please do more of these (also please do more diagonal floor patterns and introduce spiral staircases).

The rodent is okay, I usually don't realise they are going on an adventure until it is too late, but I did see the nuclear explosion one and the rodent rave animation. My sim also caught the new disease but I decided to cure him of it. I'm always happy to see a new death introduced

Not the best stuff pack by any stretch of the imagination
    I finally explored most of the hamster disease in last nights play through... well not the death yet. The deviant in me is happy with it. It lasts a very long time... going through multiple phases. I mean I saw some let's plays describe it but actively playing it on slow is way different then kind of watching someone else play it. When my sim became contagious he invited his group over and locked the doors. They all started coughing eventually and showing other symptoms and I scooted my sim away, took the cure and went to a safe part of the house. To me this disease is good enough.. to use for plague center stories and themes. I still don't know if those guys and gals will die in there in my sims home but the club gathering is still going on, they have food, water, entertainment and the facilities.. and they are miserable lol. If they don't die I'll follow them home to see what happens, but I gotta take a break so that's for my overnight game play session.
    It's funny I've actually had more fun with this stuff pack than any others.. well within a short time frame anyway. It might be because I was determined to use it more thoroughly. Most the packs just sit there until I can think of how to incorporate them into a story.. but as a deviant player the story is right there saying howdy.
    So yeah 5? game play days in still enjoying :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    We would have been better served by a small pets game pack.
    Yeah people would have still complained that it should have been part of Cats and Dogs, but it would have been better for the customer than this stuff pack.

I paid $10 basically for a hamster.
    The rest of this stuff really wasn't needed if you already have Cats and Dogs. You could get by without it.
    It really feels like they just cut it from Cats and Dogs.

However, if it's a money thing, why sell Cats and Dogs for half price so soon?
    It seems like it would be a pack that they wouldn't need an incentive to sell, especially if My First Pet was a part of Cats and Dogs.
    Someone made a bad decision, or were forced to make a bad decision. It all just confuses me. So it comes down to me being punished for buying the game early. With this kind of practice it makes no sense to buy anything early. Just wait.

Since EA failed at ripping off players with Loot Boxes for Star Wars Battlefront II, I wonder if they are forcing their other games to milk their customers to make up that lost dream money.

Anyway, my sim is in her apartment dancing to Latin Pop after authenticating a relic.
    She started chatting with her hedgehog as she danced. It made me smile, so I don't feel all that bad about my purchase.
    03-18-18_7-32-00nbspAM.png

03-18-18_7-33-22nbspAM.png

03-18-18_7-33-43nbspAM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello all,

I have removed a number of replies from this thread as we derailed from the original thread topic and wandered into marketing discussions.

Please do keep this on topic going forward.

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Would you say its an excellent edition to your gameplay? Has it enhanced your playing?
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    edited March 2018
    Didn't change anything really. Only one of my families actually uses the stuff from that pack so far, even tho I've played with few different families after that pack came out.
    I like the hairstyles and the items but the SP is nothing special.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I mean, it's a stuff pack and as such it's incredibly niche, but it does all it advertised it would do! Which is clothe thy pets in quirky new ways, add bizarre new assets, and my personal favorite, bestows upon thee plague ridden rodents of doom! Not going to lie, I could care less about the cute fuzzy pet outfits and assets, I wanted the crazy vacationing rodents and their death plague. Lol

I got them, and they are everything they were advertised that they would be, so I am one content and happy simmer. Now that today's patch fixed the apartment furniture bug, the real fun can begin! Lol

Honestly, the biggest thing with any game dlc is to always research the content and make sure YOU like what YOU see. Everyone else be smuzzled. If you don't think you will enjoy it, pass on it, if you think you do, get it! For me, $10 was worth having my own personal "Brain" rodent and a disease that actually kills sim's and can spread. I enjoy the failure states in the game far more than the success states. That will not even remotely appeal to other simmers, though. Everyone is different.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    Didn't change anything really. Only one of my families actually uses the stuff from that pack so far, even tho I've played with few different families after that pack came out.
    I like the hairstyles and the items but the SP is nothing special.

Thanks for your honesty. I thought it looked like nothing special also :/
    Absolutely. Took me awhile to get to it but I'm most happy for the extended disease process, contagion, and cure or death. Morbid I know but I can see using it in a number of stories and ways moving forward. I'll be happy to see what modders do with this also.
    I like the cute little rodents too otherwise even without the deviant play parts .. they make a good, fairly easy to take care of pet.. adding social and fun without needing too much in return. I see using them with the types of sims I normally play. The sideshows with explosions, raves ect.. are all amusing too.
    Love the hairs, Love the new pet beds and rugs. The furniture.. I can see using when it fits to do so, didn't blow me away. Probably won't use the pet outfits that much but who knows I might... it's there if needed.
    It's enhanced my playing since it came out because it brought ideas to me. That's more than I can hope for.
    They spoiled me with deviant play on this one. I might expect this every time now...
    egTcBMc.png
    We all play our own different ways <3