Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A good, affordable gaming PC?!

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I can understand the preference for Nvidia cards, but the AMD RX 580 should also be fine. It's the RX 560 that I said was as low in that series as I would want to go. Afraid I'm not familiar enough with TS4 to know what's causing that issue for some players on AMD.

Some higher end AMD cards have issues running Ts4 in full screen. No idea why but OP could face that issue
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I can understand the preference for Nvidia cards, but the AMD RX 580 should also be fine. It's the RX 560 that I said was as low in that series as I would want to go. Afraid I'm not familiar enough with TS4 to know what's causing that issue for some players on AMD.

Some higher end AMD cards have issues running Ts4 in full screen. No idea why but OP could face that issue

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CYBERPOWERPC-Gamer-Xtreme-GXi10060W-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Intel-Core-i5-7400-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Home-Monitor-Included/55349074?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=24fe081f-a53f-4976-3ff7-0b4df228e689&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=24fe081f-a53f-4976-3ff7-0b4df228e689&item_id=55349074&parent_anchor_item_id=164694268&parent_item_id=164694268&placement_id=irs-2-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=ZIaIohxmAfPykBDDdpIqVg

What do you think of this one?
  • Options

Or this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-WA011i-Gaming-Desktop-PC-With-Intel-i7-7700-RX550-2GB-Graphic-1TB-Hard-Drive-8GB-DDR4-Memory-and-Window-10-Home-Monitor-Not-Included/340100538
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hope you and phoebe don't mind if I answer on these two. Their processors are fine and they both have 8 GB of RAM. But the graphics card on the first one is very old stock Nvidia and not suitable for TS3 (probably not TS4 either). The second one is AMD but the RX 550, remember I said the 560 is as low as I would go in that range? It's not as powerful a card, might be okay for sims games though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Hope you and phoebe don't mind if I answer on these two. Their processors are fine and they both have 8 GB of RAM. But the graphics card on the first one is very old stock Nvidia and not suitable for TS3 (probably not TS4 either). The second one is AMD but the RX 550, remember I said the 560 is as low as I would go in that range? It's not as powerful a card, might be okay for sims games though.

What’s a good card for Nvidia? Like what’s the lowest I should go

• Options

And yes, thank you. All of this is just a lot to remember seeing as how I knew NOTHING about game specs until less than a week ago haha

• Options

In the 900 series, that would be a GTX 950 or (better) 960.
    In the 1000 series, that would be a GTX 1050 or (better) 1050Ti or 1060.

That first one had a GT 730. In the much older 700 series, more rarely seen on newer systems being sold today, that really misses the mark. It's not for gaming no matter how they market it. The first digit indicates the age/generation of the card, the second digit indicates its strength within the series.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

In the 900 series, that would be a GTX 950 or (better) 960.
    In the 1000 series, that would be a GTX 1050 or (better) 1050Ti or 1060.

That first one had a GT 730. In the much older 700 series, more rarely seen on newer systems being sold today, that really misses the mark. It's not for gaming no matter how they market it. The first digit indicates the age/generation of the card, the second digit indicates its strength within the series.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759916.p?skuId=5759916

How’s this? And thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I’m learning a lot lol
  • Options
    Getting better, and that's a good sale price for the HP Omen but not sure it wins any awards for reliability. I feel like there is an issue with that line that @phoebebebe13 has mentioned before (cooling?) so she should probably comment on that one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Getting better, and that's a good sale price for the HP Omen but not sure it wins any awards for reliability. I feel like there is an issue with that line that @phoebebebe13 has mentioned before (cooling?) so she should probably comment on that one.

What do you mean about the reliability?
  • Options

You may have heat issues. That case does not have good cooling . Computers off the shelf like Hp, Dell, lenovo are very hard to upgrade or switch out hardware if something goes bad. the case and the cooling is just as important as the hardware inside. You want a computer with a good case, room for switching out or upgrading hardware
  • Options

You may have heat issues. That case does not have good cooling . Computers off the shelf like Hp, Dell, lenovo are very hard to upgrade or switch out hardware if something goes bad. the case and the cooling is just as important as the hardware inside. You want a computer with a good case, room for switching out or upgrading hardware

That makes sense!! How about this?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-vr-desktop-intel-core-i5-7400-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/5712949.p?skuId=5712949
  • Options

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-vr-desktop-intel-core-i5-7400-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/5712949.p?skuId=5712949

It will run all your games on ultra. When you said $800 I thought that was your max so I was looking at things cheaper. Does best Buy charge tax on top of the list price? If your good on the $799 price this computer will be fine.
  • Options

It will run all your games on ultra. When you said $800 I thought that was your max so I was looking at things cheaper. Does best Buy charge tax on top of the list price? If your good on the $799 price this computer will be fine.

Cheaper would be better, id just like to stay around 1000 for the comp. + monitor
  • Options

Tax will be about $50. Same with the Walmart one (the 714 one) which is overall better? Cause this one wouldn’t be available til the 29th so I might just hold out for the Walmart one anyways

• Options

Tax will be about $50. Same with the Walmart one (the 714 one) which is overall better? Cause this one wouldn’t be available til the 29th so I might just hold out for the Walmart one anyways

Overall the one at best buy is better with a very slightly better video card. Either computer will run the game on ultra. Both computers meet recommended requirements. It all depends if you want to save a little money and wait on walmart or not. If your going to play heavier games than the sims in the future i would invest in the bestbuy that has the slightly better video card
  • Options

Overall the one at best buy is better with a very slightly better video card. Either computer will run the game on ultra. Both computers meet recommended requirements. It all depends if you want to save a little money and wait on walmart or not. If your going to play heavier games than the sims in the future i would invest in the bestbuy that has the slightly better video card

I was reading it doesn’t come with an wireless network card. What does that mean?
  • Options

I was reading it doesn’t come with an wireless network card. What does that mean?

allot of desktops do not come with wifi. you would have to get a usb wifi adapter ( they may run around $30) if you wanted your desktop to go wireless if your not using ethernet
  • Options

allot of desktops do not come with wifi. you would have to get a usb wifi adapter ( they may run around $30) if you wanted your desktop to go wireless if your not using ethernet

I never got one for my all-in-one PC, and that thing was like 299. What’s an Ethernet cord?

• Options

I never got one for my all-in-one PC, and that thing was like 299. What’s an Ethernet cord?

All in one PC is like a laptop and it has wifi installed in it. Desktop is different.

Are you plugging into a phone or cable line or do you want your tower to be wireless where it will run off your wifi?
  • Options

All in one PC is like a laptop and it has wifi installed in it. Desktop is different.

Are you plugging into a phone or cable line or do you want your tower to be wireless where it will run off your wifi?

I want it to run off my WiFi. Where can I find this part?
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2018
    Like phoebe said, some computers don't include an internal wireless adapter. This connects you to your internet cordless/wireless. You can either get a USB wireless adapter (no hassle - plug in) or install an internal wireless adapter which you would have to pay someone to do... so USB would be the way to go.

If you're ok being directly connected to the modem or router, you buy an ethernet cord (cat5 or cat6) instead of a wireless adapter. The problem is most people have the modem/router located in a different room and the cables may not reach without buying a long cord to stretch across the house. Hope this makes sense.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Like phoebe said, some computers don't include an internal wireless adapter. This connects you to your internet cordless/wireless. You can either get a USB wireless adapter (no hassle - plug in) or install an internal wireless adapter which you would have to pay someone to do... so USB would be the way to go.

If you're ok being directly connected to the modem or router, you buy an ethernet cord (cat5 or cat6) instead of a wireless adapter. The problem is most people have the modem/router located in a different room and the cables may not reach without buying a long cord to stretch across the house. Hope this makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense. Will any wireless adapter do? Or does it need to be a specific one?
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2018

Yes, that makes sense. Will any wireless adapter do? Or does it need to be a specific one?
    There are different strengths. You also want to make sure it's capable of putting out the speeds you're paying for. This is measured in Mbps... Example, if you're paying for 600 Mbps DL speed (download) then you need to make sure the wireless adapter can put out 600 Mbps or more. More would be future proofing if you ever up your internet plan but defiantly don't go lower than what you're paying for because you will be cutting yourself short. 600 was an example... check your personal internet plan or ask a household member who knows.

It helps me to look at reviews when I'm purchasing something. I would follow this guide to see what fits in your budget and meets your needs: https://www.lifewire.com/top-wi-fi-usb-adapters-2377825 One of a few up to date purchasing guides out there so feel free to Google.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options

There are different strengths. You also want to make sure it's capable of putting out the speeds you're paying for. This is measured in Mbps... Example, if you're paying for 600 Mbps DL speed (download) then you need to make sure the wireless adapter can put out 600 Mbps or more. More would be future proofing if you ever up your internet plan but defiantly don't go lower than what you're paying for because you will be cutting yourself short. 600 was an example... check your personal internet plan or ask a household member who knows.

It helps me to look at reviews when I'm purchasing something. I would follow this guide to see what fits in your budget and meets your needs: https://www.lifewire.com/top-wi-fi-usb-adapters-2377825 One of a few up to date purchasing guides out there so feel free to Google.
    Awesome! Thank you! Also, if one doesn’t come with a disk drive built in what does that mean? I can’t put games/ CDS in?