Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Heir Dilemma

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Both and play and overstuff household
    I love playing overstuffed households, at least for a while, although it's often a relief when I finally move out one branch of the family and the house becomes much more quiet and calm. But if you keep them both, you'll get to see how the kids of your boys and their husbands turn out. And you might just want to move on from one of the families before the other. I find sometimes that once some sims of mine have accomplished whatever goals I'd initially set for them, I'm a bit disconnected and ready to watch them from afar. Or, you could just say that playing with an overstuffed household, at least temporarily, lets you postpone your decision until you have all the necessary information, like, say, which grandchild is your favorite.

For the record, if I had to pick one, I'd go with Euan. I like his look better, and his name as well. Not that there's anything wrong with "Fife," but the name just doesn't seem to match the sim (no criticism intended, it's just all in my head). "Euan" evokes what I imagine that sim would be like if he were reading in his house's library as the daylight slowly faded. But like I said, it's all in my mind.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @puzzlezaddict I think as simmers we all have little stories for our sims going through our heads ;)
    I never feel disconnected from my sims no matter how much I accomplish with them and will play them until their death. I do like the idea of playing both for a while so I can make an informed decision down the track. It would also prevent me from giving in to their wishes for extra children as I am likely to do if there is room in the house ;)
    Thanks for voting :)
    But of course chose a ginger because fun facts time

The place on earth with the most redheads is Scotland at 13% of the population

Most redheads are left handed

Redheads cannot get grey hair when aging

Redheads have less hair than any other person

The rarest combo in the world is a blue eyed redhead,true fact only one percent of redheads have blue eyes and only 1.7 percent of the worlds population has red hair.So you are more likely to get struck by lightning than to meet a blue eyed redhead in real life.

@CravenLestat Not to go all stats nerd on you, but red hair and blue eyes aren't completely independent of each other. Though not technically linked (they're on different chromosomes), they obviously exist at greater frequencies in some populations than others. (When was the last time you met a ginger East Asian?) I'm not sure what stats say that only one percent of redheads have blue eyes, as there's a high correlation between red hair and light eye colors, mostly due to overall population genetics, as in, the populations that produce redheads in any significant quantities also tend to have relatively few brown-eyed people. For example, some numbers I found [disclaimer: with 5 minutes of googling] say that 63% of the population in Scotland has blue eyes, and 11% has red hair, so even if there were no further correlation (i.e. certain communities with higher percentages of both), 7% of Scots would have both traits.

I don't know about being struck by lightning, but I have five (!) true gingers on one side of my family. They all have (had) bright orange hair, light to medium blue eyes, lots of freckles, and a complete inability to tan in the sun. None of them are lefties, though.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited March 2018
    Euan (ginger)
    @puzzlezaddict Before posting for the record this fella here typing, meaning me is a blue eyed left handed ginger.My father is ginger my fathers sister,my grandmother, 3 out of 5 of my brothers children are ginger, my fathers mother..................... My family is Irish not Scottish but Ireland has I believe the 2nd highest redhead percent.

Anyway

https://www.simplemost.com/rarest-hair-eye-color-combination/

In this article you will see

To put it in perspective, you’re more likely to get struck by lightning—.03 percent chance—than you are to meet a person with red hair and blue eyes (coming in at .017 percent).

https://www.rd.com/health/beauty/hair-eye-color-combination-rare/

Redhead facts which you can google anywhere you will get same results

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/05/redhead-day-9-fun-facts-red-hair/93341504/

And yes please go nerd stat on a nerd,it is what we do. :smirk:

Of course had to "Google" what a blue eyed redhead looked like and found this rather dashing Goldberg looking dude he could kill somebody.

JLMa3fF.png

Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    @CravenLestat , Clicked on the first link, that little kid in number 2 is about the cutest thing ever (even though he is a boy ;) ).
    Euan (ginger)
    @Charlottesmom Wish I could post my 3rd grade pics etc my blaze red hair and bright eyes with my funny kid teef :D Ohhh the pics I could share.

DfydFiZ.gif
    @CravenLestat My grey hair/hazel eye combination is probably common as muck! I'm going out tomorrow and getting me some red hair dye and blue contact lenses ;)
    edited March 2018
    @Charlottesmom Wish I could post my 3rd grade pics etc my blaze red hair and bright eyes with my funny kid teef :D Ohhh the pics I could share.

LOL!! I love going through all the school pictures and looking at the missing teeth, the way too short hair (my mother was under the impression I was a boy until I hit 4th grade :s ) and the interesting wardrobe choices.

Edited: what site did you get that dude from he does look like a psycho killer!! :D;)
    Euan (ginger)
    @Mikezumi :D I double dog dare you.And I posted a ginger Asian sim yesterday modeling clothing unlocks.Normally would say the exact ethnicity since hate saying Asian but she is a bit of everything.PS: That was Kitty :o did you even know??

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited March 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @igazor I can't play Elspet or she might meet an early demise.
    Ah well, you know what they say. "Heir today, gone tomorrow!" :p

That pun actually made me chuckle: "Heir de Heir Heir! ~snort~"... :D

I know I voted for playing overstuffed, but if you have to pick one, I'd probably go with Euan. It's probably turned into an actual "hair-dilemma". :D - ginger takes it.

PS: Of course, I may be biased...since my wife was born a ginger with blue eyes. :D She still has the blue eyes...her hair has darkened to a natural brown with some red tint to the brown.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • blazerntqblazerntq Posts: 2,409 Member
    I voted for both because both boys have such diverse looks to them that it would be interesting to see what their offspring would look like.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Fife (black hair)

I think it is time for a dark haired heir for a change since Elspet (love her!) is not a candidate. lol I like both as an idea too, but would be worried about the save having issues with overstuffing. Your puter might be stronger than mine though.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Fife (black hair)
    I didn't want to be too nice and say "both", so I chose Fife. He has the coolest heir hair. :sunglasses:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    Fife (black hair)
    I like them both, but I like Fife better.

And it's a cool name.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    @Mikezumi , Looks like Fife is making a comeback!
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Fife (black hair)
    Ginger is my favourite hair colour, but I voted for Fife because his green eyes/black hair combination looks really striking.

(But, @Mikezumi , you shouldn't listen to me because I'm your simming opposite! My gameplay is usually all about making female sims happy, and male sims are just there for them; and I like male sims with really big, aquiline noses.)
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Fife (black hair)
    LOL!! I love going through all the school pictures and looking at the missing teeth.

The time when the canine teef are missing is the best, I think, because then the threatening fangs are gone. Just ask the teachers in Transylvania. :sunglasses:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Why pick just one? Play them both! That's what I would do if I managed to make it that far. Usually, my sims only have 1-2 kids though, but when they have 2, they live together still. I've never had both find love though; usually just 1 and sometimes even none! If they both have husbands "lined up", go for both!
    edited March 2018
    Before posting for the record this fella here typing, meaning me is a blue eyed left handed ginger.My father is ginger my fathers sister,my grandmother, 3 out of 5 of my brothers children are ginger, my fathers mother..................... My family is Irish not Scottish but Ireland has I believe the 2nd highest redhead percent.

Anyway

https://www.simplemost.com/rarest-hair-eye-color-combination/

In this article you will see

To put it in perspective, you’re more likely to get struck by lightning—.03 percent chance—than you are to meet a person with red hair and blue eyes (coming in at .017 percent).

https://www.rd.com/health/beauty/hair-eye-color-combination-rare/

Redhead facts which you can google anywhere you will get same results

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/05/redhead-day-9-fun-facts-red-hair/93341504/

And yes please go nerd stat on a nerd,it is what we do. :smirk:

@CravenLestat Well, if you insist...

Article #1 is a total crock. First of all, the article has some terrible math, multiplying 17 percent and 1 percent together to get .017 percent.
    .17 x .01 = .0017, or .17 percent, meaning the rate cited in the article is off by a factor of 10.

But more importantly, the various articles just multiply the percentage frequencies together, which would only work if one of the traits were precisely evenly distributed throughout the entire world. In that case, any person with blue eyes would have exactly the same statistical chance of being a redhead as any person with brown eyes, but this is clearly not the case, as billions of people in South and East Asia have brown eyes and an effectively zero chance of red hair. (People of Sub-Saharan African ancestry have a slight chance of red hair due to a condition called rufous albinism, but that's a whole different discussion.) On the other hand, populations in Ireland and Scotland have high frequencies of both traits, making their co-occurrence much more likely. This drives up the total number of red haired, blue eyed people considerably compared to what you would see if the traits had no relationship with each other.

To put it another way, if I could play god the way I do with my sims, and I created the traits of green hair and white eyes in a very small number of people, I could say, look, the chances of them occurring together are almost zero. If the traits each occurred in only one person per million, there would be a less than 1% chance that even one human on the planet would have both. But what if I imposed those two traits on the same 7,000 people? Then there would be 7,000 with both in generation one. And what if I put them all together somewhere relatively isolated, so that they often married each other? A few generations in, even with a good amount of mixing with other populations, there would likely still be several hundred people in the world with both traits, even if the overall rate of each trait was still one-in-a-million.

As far as handedness is concerned, I didn't find the stats I was looking for, but its genetic basis has yet to be completely described, so neither can its biological relationships (if any) with the various ginger genes. (Yes, there are several, although the melanocortin 1 receptor gene on chromosome 16q24.3 is the most commonly described.) From the way the third article was phrased, "Having red hair isn't the only thing that makes some redheads unique. They are also more likely to be left handed. Both characteristics come from recessive genes, which like to come in pairs," I think it means more likely then the general population, as in, more than 10% of gingers are also lefties, but not necessarily more than 50%. Also, from what I remember reading many years ago, Scotland has a higher rate (maybe 15%? and even up to 25% in certain villages?) than normal of lefthandedness, so again, if the traits all exist together at greater frequency in one population, that will skew the overall rate of co-occurrence. In the end, though, the fact that this article said that recessive genes like to come in pairs should be a giant red flag warning us off taking anything else it says at face value.

Sorry @Mikezumi for getting carried away. But I like population genetics in general, and one of my favorite things about TS3 is seeing sim traits get passed down through the generations. (That's maybe why I slightly prefer Euan, as his red hair is more rare, so it feels like he's wearing a badge of his inheritance.) I always give my founding sim(s) a unique trait, just so I can watch it crop up again and again throughout the town as the family branches out.
    Post edited by puzzlezaddict on
    I am leaning more and more towards Both since @igazor's suggestion that I should play all three and peel off families (or individual sims down the track).

@blazerntq Thanks :) They do look very different since, although they are not clones of either dad, they got different features from each :)

@bekkasan You know me and know that Elspet could never be an option! LOL
    I think my laptop should be strong enough to handle a few extra sims in the household until I decide who to keep.

@Cororon Thank you :) I don't use that hair as often as I used to but I agree that it is cool :)

@Idontrcll Thanks :) I love picking names for my sims and Fife jumped out me from the list :)

@Charlottesmom It does look like Fife is gaining favour! Is it any wonder I couldn't decide for myself this time? ;)

@PalmArrow I have to admit I love the black hair/green eyes combo. I always make my female sims happy and treat them equally - until it's time to kick them out ;)

@Simtown15 I am starting to lean towards playing both since I am keeping the families small in this save :)
    I saw you left a message on my wall asking about how I complete LTWs on this short lifespan. In the case of the founders, I chose LTWs that were skill based as I don't like my sims to work outside the home. Jordan only needed to master MA and Athletics and John had to master Guitar and Painting. They had personalities that meant mastering their skills would be done without much intervention from me. Although I am controlling my sims more on the short lifespan to ensure that wishes get met, I still let my sims do their own thing for long stretches of each sim day and they naturally gravitate towards their interests :) I also gave the second generation couple skill based LTWs. As for the kids I get rid of, I generally give them a LTW that they can complete on aging up to YA, such as Surrounded by Friends or Bottomless Nectar Cellar (the house came with nectar valued over §100,000 because it is a house I use often).

@puzzleaddict Knock yourself out! It's been an interesting read :)
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Fife (black hair)
    @Mikezumi hehe, yes, I would fear for her life. :wink: I'm happy knowing she will have a nice house, hubby and at least 2 kids to raise. :)
    @bekkasan She will definitely be safer when she leaves home ;) Martin moved in already and they will be moving out when I play after catching up on the chat thread :)
    40695658222_b9ae18b694_o.jpg
    @Nikkei_Simmer I didn't see that you had edited your post. It has, indeed, turned into a "hair dilemma" ;)
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Mikezumi Thanks for the advice. I tried a little earlier using that tactic, but I ended up rage quitting before the first day was even over. I'm bad at this.
    @Simtown15 I can't say I have rage quit since I have mellowed a lot in my old age ;) but I have been known to quit without saving when things didn't quite go to plan. This is never really much of an issue as I have been playing so long that I am able to keep track of most of what's going on and keep it within my comfort zone.