Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Do You Want More Death in Your Game?

Comments

• NimieNimie Posts: 206 Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes and I want it to be instantaneous. None of this wait 3 days plum because then you know its going to happen if you don't cure it. If there's cures, they need to be harder to obtain. For example if you get poisoned in JA, you can either order a cure from the computer, or if you have bone dust, you can get a cure from the merchant. To me, the latter should be the only option because if you don't have the bone dust, then you have 3 days to find some. It just adds a little more drama and intensity that TS4 is missing.

But you always can play like that, I didn´t know I could buy the cure from the computer hahaha I only read the parte that said talk to selvadorians and see what they say. I understand your point that should be programmed to be more difficult but you can make it like that and never buy the cure
  • NimieNimie Posts: 206 Member
    sunblond wrote: »
    AbyArashi wrote: »
    It's a matter of how you manage yout storytelling. Sometimes I want to create stories where I have to kill my sims, not wait for them to die from being old, and the most death types there are the most interesting it is!

But there are cheats to kill sims, so picking a sim to kill for your story is not the same as having more deaths in the game that could affect a sim you are playing.

Yes, but the unexpected things are better. When your story has to change because of an unexpected death is good for me and makes things more enjoyable than having an script for everything
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Bearflex wrote: »
    One thing that boggles my mind is why people are always asking for more ways to kill their Sims? Personally I don't want my Sims to die horrible deaths.

Neither do I. We are of the same mind. I have had plenty of terrible things happen in real life, and have no need for it in a game, I am supposed to enjoy and relax with. The craving for death and injury is in my opinion just sickening. Nothing fun about it, it's deeply sad.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    I like having death in the Sims, especially if it's a death that's not random and only happens as a result of your actions, such as not feeling your sim, not taking care of your sim when sick, allowing your sim to walk into the fire, getting your sim to fix the TV when they have low mechanical skill etc. It makes the game more challenging and keeps you engaged. I don't like how a lot of the deaths we do get in the Sims 4 are random (ie emotional deaths), it just takes away control from the player and I don't like how silly and childish some of them are. And the general lack of death just makes it dull and less engaging, because there's less to motivate you to do certain things or look after your sims. Even with pets, I don't like how nothing bad happens if you don't look after them. Even if they get sick nothing happens and therefore there's little incentive to take them to the vet. In the Sims 1, your pet could actually die if you didn't feed them, so that meant you made sure you kept an eye on them.

Also, and nobody can deny this happens, but many people enjoy killing their sims for the hell of it. I mean who DIDN'T remove the pool ladder on purpose while all of your sims were in there in the Sims 1, or make a fire death trap house and take the door away? Loads of people did it, it was almost a rite of passage for playing that game when I was a kid. Of course nobody would think to do this in real life or it made them an evil person, it was just a bit of fun and it was people experimenting, trying to see what they extent they could get the game to do crazy things.
  • TheSkyNomadTheSkyNomad Posts: 28 Member
    Yes. Unexpected death and misfortune adds new possibilities to gameplay. I still remember my main household in The Sims 3. The founder's alien son died while trying to fix a computer (or was it a TV? I am not sure). However, I had plans for him, so I started a long quest to get the ingredients for ambrosia and the opportunity to bring his ghost back. It was worth it, though: not only I had fun bringing the son back, but I also got to build a deathfish pond in my backyard for my troubles.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I guess the bottom line for me is that one of the reasons I like The Sims, is that it is non-violent. I'm unable to enjoy other PC games because I don't find murder or violence "fun" and death is certainly not "fun" even in a game.

With this last dlc, more deaths were added. It seems like threads like this are giving credence to adding in more violence to the game.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I guess the bottom line for me is that one of the reasons I like The Sims, is that it is non-violent. I'm unable to enjoy other PC games because I don't find murder or violence "fun" and death is certainly not "fun" even in a game.

With this last dlc, more deaths were added. It seems like threads like this are giving credence to adding in more violence to the game.

The sims is not non-violent. Sims can argue and get into fights. Sure, it's nothing but a cloud, but it's still fighting. Funny deaths have always been a hallmark of the Sims games. The Guinea pig flu is proof of that. It was added in the very first version without any notice to the fans as a surprise.

If you don't want your sims to die, there are ways to keep it from happening. Just don't put them in any dangerous situations. And don't forget to clean out your lint trap! :D
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Because my Sims grin so hard their lips are clipping through their eyeballs and it makes me want to murder them.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • PopcornHotsaucePopcornHotsauce Posts: 143 Member
    Like some others here, it's more for the challenge/incentive to improve skills, and the element of danger and surprise (even bad surprise) than simple sadism. It does also add to the story telling element greatly, and part of the fun of the sims for me is a bit of drama. I never liked locking sims in a room and starving them, or taking away the pool ladder. Even though I know they're just pixels, I still don't like to see them suffer, unless it's part of the story and they want to escape or be rescued. However, I confess I do laugh when a low level sim attempts something they shouldn't be (like repairing a tv with low mechanic skill) and meets an untimely end. I recently had a sim and her best friend become vampires. The friend sim came over to my played sim's house all excited to tell her (in my story), but since I had such a long walkway to the front door, she caught on fire in the sun on they way and died at the door. I laughed precisely because I didn't want or expect it. I was like AW MAN, darn vampire noob.

Yes, there have been times where I've had a sim kill other sims (via mod) because they were annoying or as part of the story. I had a Dexter type serial killer in the Sims 3, and it turned into one of my favorite story lines ever. So, I'm not sure if this answers why, but I can tell you it doesn't come in my case from a place of cruelty, but of needing a little true risk, excitement, and additional storytelling in game. In the same way I like to see a thriller movie instead of a movie watching someone cook and smile for 2 hours.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    We have so many ways to resurrect Sims, and it never feels as if we have to use them because our Sims are practically immortal.

Adding challenge and risk to the game would also help with fixing the game feeling predictable as it is too.
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    We have so many ways to resurrect Sims, and it never feels as if we have to use them because our Sims are practically immortal.

I have my own rule that I can never resurrect sims or quit the game without saving. It makes you be a bit more careful if you care for your sims.

• AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I protect my sims like the precious babies they are and almost never let one die. That said it's not all that fun if there isn't anything to protect them /from/.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Because the game is not exciting otherwise.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Nimie wrote: »
    Yes and I want it to be instantaneous. None of this wait 3 days plum because then you know its going to happen if you don't cure it. If there's cures, they need to be harder to obtain. For example if you get poisoned in JA, you can either order a cure from the computer, or if you have bone dust, you can get a cure from the merchant. To me, the latter should be the only option because if you don't have the bone dust, then you have 3 days to find some. It just adds a little more drama and intensity that TS4 is missing.

But you always can play like that, I didn´t know I could buy the cure from the computer hahaha I only read the parte that said talk to selvadorians and see what they say. I understand your point that should be programmed to be more difficult but you can make it like that and never buy the cure

Pretty much this. If there's a way to kill a Sim, there should be a way around it. If I can manage to prevent/avoid dangers/deaths, I don't see why others can't manage to prevent/avoid cures/upgrading laundry machines, etc. Seems rather selfish to limit options, especially when the whole point of advocating more deaths and dangers is to increase them.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Death in itself is not appealing. It’s the gameplay that surrounds it that is. From complete surprise to evil planning, from colourful ghosts to graveyards, from ambrosia to a genie wish, from curing them in time to letting them die.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2018
    Life simulation should have ups and downs in my in my opinion. As somebody said it here, it's fun to learn from the risky behavior that inevitably of the last seconds leads your sim into his/her demise and from there you know how to avoid the tragedy and be more cautious of your actions. I haven't experience the meteor strike from TS3:A, but from what I heard you cannot cancel the interaction and direct your sim to seek the cover while the event is happening and the sim is cluelessly staring at that event. I'd say that's kind of a problem. It's absolutely inevitable to cheat of being crushed and it unless your lucky and the meteor itself miss-hits the sim. Though I would enjoy seeing a few non-playable sims that get frozen in fear and get killed like that while othesr panic but seek to get off it's landing wake or head for cover.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Because my Sims grin so hard their lips are clipping through their eyeballs and it makes me want to murder them.

LOL!!

I don't want more death per se, I want more unexpected things. Death sometimes is part of that. In the sims 4 there are lots of ways to bring sims and pets back so its not the worst thing to happen if they die. Sometimes an unexplained death gives a story a different direction, it may take your mind to places where originally it wasn't planning on going. Sometimes it just breaks up the day in sims 4 land.

But I've been playing since the sims 1 where devs and the guide books encouraged you to kill sims for means to an end. I get that not everyone likes death, not everyone likes violent computer games. No one is right and no one is wrong for liking one or the other.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2018
    Variety is the spice of life~ :p

I don't ever personally kill my sims, but always nice to have a nice variety of deaths, especially of silly and exaggerated nature. Next on my list of deaths to want is being 'scared to death' and maybe death by satellite or taunting death AKA Grim. More so the things for me leading up to their death to cause it.

Put the 'creepy crawlies' lot traits on my sims apartment and apparently it spawns bees, spiders, and plasma bats. I didn't realize the bee's can also poison you. Sim had little money, but decided to send them off to Salvadorada to ask about the antidote. He was kinda running out of time to go looking for 'bone dust' but the local mentioned I can do it online.

Dang, 228 simoleons wasted, whatever we're off back home to use the computer. And went to order it and it's like a 1,000 simoleons my sim didn't have, so he ended up dying. :#
    5vJrxmT.png
  • AbyArashiAbyArashi Posts: 386 Member
    edited March 2018
    AbyArashi wrote: »
    It's a matter of how you manage yout storytelling. Sometimes I want to create stories where I have to kill my sims, not wait for them to die from being old, and the most death types there are the most interesting it is!

But there are cheats to kill sims, so picking a sim to kill for your story is not the same as having more deaths in the game that could affect a sim you are playing.

Without those deaths you can't... use them? I can't kill a sim with poison if there is no death by poison, not even cheating. I don't want to just kill a sim, I want to kill a sim in a way that suits the story I want to tell. I don't want to cheat those deaths... I want to play the game. Sometimes cheating is good for stories but whats the point of playing if I'm going to cheat everything?

Also if there is an accident you can always bring your sim back to life. I've never had a sim die without me wanting it to happen honestly I don't think it is THAT easy to kill a sim (not even with a cowplant, which I have in the main couple I play). You just need to be a little bit careful, but I don't think it's that bothering :)
    My Origin ID is AbyArashi
  • KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Because The Sims is fundamentally supposed to be a sandbox life simulator. What the player chooses to do with that basic premise is up to them. No one is suggesting that people have to play their game in a "violent" way as some have suggested, you can play how you want, that's the entire point. If you want your sims to live in a world where it's all sunshine and no deaths, then you can. Me? I like something more macabre.

I like a variety of deaths in my game because it spices things up a bit. I use it for storytelling, when I'm bored with particular sims... it's good to have that option. I'm in the process of crafting a graveyard in one of my custom hoods on The Sims 2, for that, I need a wide variety of deaths which the game provides. If I just allowed everybody to die of old age, that would take a long time and the ghosts would all be the same colour.

The Sims 4 in general is a bit light for my liking. I crave the days of the original sims where you'd get ominous prank calls in the middle of the night or where a burglar would come with the most sinister, heart attack inducing music. So if I can't have those things, I want more death in my game.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Simply the game is too in peace and happy right now, yeah it changed a lot from the beginning but we need more challenging gameplay.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    edited March 2018
    Because what value is life without the risk of death? And for gameplay purposes, surprise, risk, consequences, and challenge.

Also, I tend to play with aging off, so my sims have to die somehow. ;)
    #Team Occult
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Why do many of us read, write and enjoy thrillers, horror and even Sci-fi?. Why did they build the Colosseum and Pit man against man or beast in them for fun and sport? Why do we watch football or other sports where people can be maimed or hurt?
    For me it's to tell stories sometimes gruesome, sometimes funny with a dark comedic twist.
    It's a way to control and process fear or anxiety or to experience things in a safe environment.. or get a rush. It is what it is.
    Maybe one day we won't need it but I think we gotta evolve a long way for that. Sounds sterile.
    egTcBMc.png
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    edited March 2018
    I need to tell you something that happened in my game, i made a sim that married with Caleb, then they had a daugther, when their daughter got married she and her future husband wanted to make a big party, so i used a community lot for that, it was a cathedral, with kitchen, bathroom, and a buffet outside (my big mistake). The wedding was in day time (another mistake), so imagine, Caleb, the bride father was a vampire, so he have lots of vampire friends that came to the party. In the wedding everything was ok, the fun part started when all of the vampires started to go outside to eat, in daytime, with sun, i was like omg, i couldn't even control Caleb anymore ahahahaha........... I was a fun and weird wedding party. So this type of thing spice up the game a bit, it was something that i didn't expect to happen, because i didn't remember that will be vampires in the party, even the brides dad.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    edited March 2018
    sorry posted two times

Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd