Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Do You Want More Death in Your Game?

BearflexBearflex Posts: 139 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
One thing that boggles my mind is why people are always asking for more ways to kill their Sims? Personally I don't want my Sims to die horrible deaths. Back in the Sims 1 I think the only way to remove a character from a household was if they died--I could understand that more if the character was just not working out. At any rate, I don't play with ghosts, and I don't want to kill off my sims, and I play with aging off because I'm not playing multi-generational games myself. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Post edited by Bearflex on

Comments

• CrueltivityCrueltivity Posts: 161 Member
    edited March 2018
    It’s supposed to be a life simulation game. People die in real life and not only from old age, it happens. It’s nice to have that element of surprise in the game too.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Cuz it's more fun and more drama or unexpected stuff goes on. Plus, it lets me do something that I wasn't expecting to do like finding ways to bring back the sim to life.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Strawburry3Strawburry3 Posts: 329 Member
    What fun is there to be had if there's no danger? Old age, fire, starving, electrocution, drowning. Boring. Give me something to fear and ways to prevent if I want to avoid it. Honestly, I just want something to keep me on my toes. Something spontaneous.
    tumblr_mxol5mE3eQ1qdczlgo1_500.gif
    Hey, Nana..
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    Well I like happy rainbows as much as I like drama filled misery, even more deaths to objects that may be silly in real life but work in sims, broken knob on the dryer electrocutes to instant death. Death by food more common for slobs that don't chew properly...allergies that can be deadly...I don't know I mean it's only somewhat a life simulator most things aren't how they are in real life but games are an escape from that and we already have some deaths more variety is just part of the..darker fun I guess.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Well there is only one real answer for that. It's to let imagination take us on journey for weirder stories of course!!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited March 2018
    Personally, I'd love a higher chance in random deaths including the ones we already have. But I also welcome other deaths. I prefer it since, well perhaps because, opposite from you OP, I'm a legacy/generational player and death really balances population for the next generation.

Okay logical "circle of life" aside, I think death at least to me gives a sense of cherished memories, especially for stories. Ever watch "This Is Us"? I think the beauty of the show is how regardless of the father's tragic end and affected the children's lives forever, his "life" and the memories they shared with him practically keep them on the right track. His influence through his love, memories, and even life lessons are continued well after he's gone through his children's memories of him.

Oops sorry about that emotional rollercoaster example (i'm a pretty big "this is us" fan :blush: ), but I think in the end death is apart of living, as my grandma used to say "There's no life without death, without death, you're just there.."

As a child, I never understood that. I thought living forever was such a awesome thought. But thinking about it now as an adult.. in the sims, the sims that died are the ones that I actually remembered compared to the ones who didn't.

Like for example: I can remember the first sims I saw who died tragically in my game. I was very very young playing the original sims game, the two sims were a couple entertaining friends. However since they didn't know how to cook and at that age I didn't understand that most houses needed smoke alarms, a fire broke out. I was a little frantic about it, seeing them all on fire, i'll admit it did obviously get to me a little bit. But what really got to me was when the sim kids got off the bus and saw that. Luckily (in every iteration it seems), one of the children was able to call the firefighter..but it was too late, their parents were gone and It was game over. But It prompted me to create a new version of the children with an adopted parent in a new story.

Now if you were to ask me about the first sim I had ever ever created. Or what was their name? the color of their hair? etc...ironically I can't remember that. It's odd the way of memory I suppose.

Another thing about death is, they're in a way like milestones or bigtime events (like getting robbed, graduating college, or getting married). Positive or negative, they're moments that you never forget. They define a family or friends, and also for story purposes, it can change a sim's "whim",or if your controlling the surviving sims, perhaps it'll change them for better or for worse. It could really change the narrative and surprise one which brings things out of the usual time stopped world.

Oh gosh I didn't think I'd write that much! But yeah that's how random deaths are to me, or just "death" in general I guess. :smile:
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I like causing misery to sims sometimes. They are, after all, just pixels.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    In TS1 you could also make a household member leave by making them hate you. They would leave and never return. I just recalled my first TS1 death. My sim married Michael Bachelor and he died in a fire the same day. I was like "What just happened there?" and after the initial shock of it I started to laugh.

As to why I'd like more death in TS4, it's because I have a dark sense of humor. Sometimes I like drama and chaos, sometimes a sim just annoys me and simply deleting them isn't enough to appease me. Sometimes I get bored and feel like bumping somebody off for the heck of it. A constant state of happiness gets to be too much. I don't like everything to be perfect and happy all the time. Just some of the time. Same as death (apart from old age). Not all the time, just sometimes. Having the option would be nice.
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    Bearflex wrote: »
    One thing that boggles my mind is why people are always asking for more ways to kill their Sims? Personally I don't want my Sims to die horrible deaths. Back in the Sims 1 I think the only way to remove a character from a household was if they died--I could understand that more if the character was just not working out. At any rate, I don't play with ghosts, and I don't want to kill off my sims, and I play with aging off because I'm not playing multi-generational games myself. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I want more deaths not to be evil to my sims or something like that, i want more deaths to make the game a little more challenging, the element of surprise i always talk and that is missing in the sims 4, in this game things are too easy, only rainbows and unicorns, nothing bad can happen to your sims besides getting fired :tongue: , so deaths are a way to keep things not similar to barbie dolls. But i would be very happy with something like, burglars for example, for me could be a game changing aswell.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Yes and I want it to be instantaneous. None of this wait 3 days BS because then you know its going to happen if you don't cure it. If there's cures, they need to be harder to obtain. For example if you get poisoned in JA, you can either order a cure from the computer, or if you have bone dust, you can get a cure from the merchant. To me, the latter should be the only option because if you don't have the bone dust, then you have 3 days to find some. It just adds a little more drama and intensity that TS4 is missing.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    Yes and I want it to be instantaneous. None of this wait 3 days plum because then you know its going to happen if you don't cure it. If there's cures, they need to be harder to obtain. For example if you get poisoned in JA, you can either order a cure from the computer, or if you have bone dust, you can get a cure from the merchant. To me, the latter should be the only option because if you don't have the bone dust, then you have 3 days to find some. It just adds a little more drama and intensity that TS4 is missing.

Like for the new rodent fever, the cure for this disease should be expensive. Or you need to have some kind of high ability to do the medicine to cure this disease.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Honestly, I could see how more random deaths could be great for storytelling, on the other hand, if I have a sim household I am playing that I've grown attached to, the last thing I want is for one of them to suddenly die.

So, I'm going to say no to having more random deaths in the game.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Bearflex wrote: »

Well that's just it. The deaths aren't horrible, they're funny. It's funny to see a sim get electrocuted or die from puffer fish. If sim deaths were realistic, no one would want them in the game, but they're not real, they're comedic. And, lest we forget, they're cartoon people. It's like watching the Coyote run off a cliff, hang in mid air, hold up an "OOPS" sign and drop to his demise. If these little cartoon people are so precious that I could never, ever allow anything BAD to happen to them, this game would get boring pretty quick for me. A sim can die doing laundry? C'mon, that's funny.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I play with aging on and can say it is nice for storytelling purposes to have more than just old age. Death is a part of life and some of the deaths are comical, such as the emotional deaths. Some can happen purely on accident too, you know like a cooking fire that got out of control or the an electronic shock from fixing electronics.
  • AbyArashiAbyArashi Posts: 386 Member
    It's a matter of how you manage yout storytelling. Sometimes I want to create stories where I have to kill my sims, not wait for them to die from being old, and the most death types there are the most interesting it is!
    My Origin ID is AbyArashi
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2018
    The moment when my sim lit the dessert crepes suzette and set on fire and died, at her graduation party. Is a moment I will never forget. :'(
    Nobody was able to put out the fire, so all I could do was watch the sim who I'd raised from a baby die.

The fact that it was so unexpected and it couldn't have happened at a worse time, just made that moment really shocking but memorable.
    AbyArashi wrote: »
    It's a matter of how you manage yout storytelling. Sometimes I want to create stories where I have to kill my sims, not wait for them to die from being old, and the most death types there are the most interesting it is!

But there are cheats to kill sims, so picking a sim to kill for your story is not the same as having more deaths in the game that could affect a sim you are playing.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Reasons. :#
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I don't necessarily want more ways for my sims to die (although death by disease should definitely become a thing, right now disease is just a useless, annoying moodlet that comes up every now and then for no apparent reason), but a higher chance of it happening, just for more drama and more interesting gameplay. I have an entire library full of books of life in case someone bites the dust unexpectedly, and I can think of at least two other ways to revive dead sims, but those will never be used if no one ever dies! And even if you don't have a book of life, a wishing well, or ambrosia, your sims can still "live" on as ghosts, so even if you don't like death, it really isn't such a big thing in this game.
    I don't necessarily want more ways for my sims to die (although death by disease should definitely become a thing, right now disease is just a useless, annoying moodlet that comes up every now and then for no apparent reason), but a higher chance of it happening, just for more drama and more interesting gameplay. I have an entire library full of books of life in case someone bites the dust unexpectedly, and I can think of at least two other ways to revive dead sims, but those will never be used if no one ever dies! And even if you don't have a book of life, a wishing well, or ambrosia, your sims can still "live" on as ghosts, so even if you don't like death, it really isn't such a big thing in this game.

What's the point of more deaths, if you just revive them? When my sims die, they stay dead.I release them to the netherworld. Besides, if you just want game play with ghosts or resurrection, then you can just cheat and kill them.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    The only time I intentionally killed a sim was back in Sims 1 when kids would be born with glasses. Idk why but I hated that. And we couldn’t change their appearance so I would intentionally kill them and have the parents make a new child hopefully with no glasses.

Nowadays any deaths that occur in my game are all accidents. Either I forgot to clean the lint in a dryer or my Sims became too emotional or they were electrocuted trying to repair a dishwasher or burned up in a fire trying to make some tofu tacos. All random things not intentional by me at all.
  • AphrodidyAphrodidy Posts: 18 Member
    I kill mine off because I'm working toward the generations achievement but I tend to go easy on them. Nothing to brutal!
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    sunblond wrote: »

What's the point of more deaths, if you just revive them? When my sims die, they stay dead.I release them to the netherworld. Besides, if you just want game play with ghosts or resurrection, then you can just cheat and kill them.

I actually answered that question in the same post you're quoting. And if the answer to every other question is cheating, then what's the point of the game anymore?