Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something to think about (regarding My First Pet Stuff)

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I just want to say before I start that I do not agree with this stuff pack and I will not be paying money for it.

That said, I do feel like EA think they can get away with this, simply because they did it 10x worse before, and it seems no one kicked up a stink about it, at all.

Just after Pets was released in 2011, EA released a compilation of the store sets in November. It came with a new self-feeding Pet bowl, and a new Aquarian, as well as some other items. The self-feeding Pet Bowl was the main attraction of the set.

EA asked $30 (yes, that's $10 more than a Sims 4 Game Pack) for this set if you wanted all 54 items.
There was a cheaper option for just 21 items and that was $14 (yes, $4 more expensive than a Sims 4 stuff pack, with one-third of the items).

On top of that, they charged $3.50 for 3 items. That's more than a $1 each for 3 Pet items.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with The Sims 4 MFP stuff, or that I'm saying "it's okay, because TS3 did it worse".

The point I'm making is, where was the outrage? All TS3 threads have people all excited and not complaining about how expensive it all is. No one was complaining that you needed TS3 Pets for this.

People should have spoken up. People shouldn't have accepted this.

Because, no wonder EA think it's okay to add DLC for DLC, because they did it before and no one cared.

And now they're doing the same thing, but offering 4x the content (SimGuruGraham even said the Pet outfits are in addition to the normal amount of CAS items we usually get) and no wonder EA think they can get away with it, because they've done so much worse.

The point of this thread is, if you don't agree with this practice, DON'T BUY IT ANYWAY. Because history will repeat itself, and EA will keep doing this over and over.

It's so frustrating to see people say "I don't agree with it but I'll buy it anyway". At least wait for a sale if you're keen. But please, don't get angry the next time EA do this, if you're one of the people who buy as soon as they can.

Let EA know you don't agree. Buying this at full price tells EA you agree. So don't.

(If you are happy, that's fine, buy as you wish. Obviously, LOL).

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2018
    This isn't a TS3 vs TS4 thread btw.

This is just showing that EA will keep thinking this is okay, if people keep buying.

(eg. The Sims 5 Pets comes around and EA do the exact same thing because people bought My First Pet regardless).
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    EA did this all the time with TS3. If you wanted a glass bowl for your fortune teller from Supernatural you had to buy it in the store. If you wanted your acrobats and magicians from Showtime to perform in a decent circus surrounding you could buy zillions of Cirque de Soleil with giant tents and crazy hair sets for approx. 68 billion dollars ;) . If you didn't buy Ambitions with its self-employed career feature, half of the content of most packs was worthless.
    EA did this all the time with TS3. If you wanted a glass bowl for your fortune teller from Supernatural you had to buy it in the store. If you wanted your acrobats and magicians from Showtime to perform in a decent circus surrounding you could buy zillions of Cirque de Soleil with giant tents and crazy hair sets for approx. 68 billion dollars ;) . If you didn't buy Ambitions with its self-employed career feature, half of the content of most packs was worthless.

Very true (it was very blatant), but I only included instances where you can't actually use content without the Expansion pack (Sims 3 Pets).
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I absolutely hated the store and the prices it charged for added content. And I dont agree with this direction of stuff packs that are adding content that should have been in EPs.

They fooled me once ( sims 3) but they won't fool me again. Besides, this content is only good for family players and simkids. Not one of my YA sims would have a doggy desk, or anything from this pack. It does not appeal to me in the least so the last 2 stuff packs are a no-go for me.

I know how I play this game now and I know I can pick and choose what suits me.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I absolutely hated the store and the prices it charged for added content. And I dont agree with this direction of stuff packs that are adding content that should have been in EPs.

They fooled me once ( sims 3) but they won't fool me again. Besides, this content is only good for family players and simkids. Not one of my YA sims would have a doggy desk, or anything from this pack. It does not appeal to me in the least so the last 2 stuff packs are a no-go for me.

Today I built a house for the hamster and used all the things from Laundry Stuff - and I must say it's the most beautiful clutter that has ever been in the game. So even if you are not into family play you should give it a chance.
    edited March 2018
    fullspiral wrote: »

I agree with both of these points.

Also, so far, all of the Sims 4 content (minus the digital deluxe DLC) has been worth it to me. But i waited until the Digital Deluxe content was free before I got it, and I will do this with Pet Stuff too. Even if that means waiting for The Sims 4 to end.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    OMG yes, the Seeing Stars set came out the same week as Showtime and it looked straight out of it. And the surf station came out not long after Island Paradise.
    edited March 2018
    @Simanite wrote: »
    OMG yes, the Seeing Stars set came out the same week as Showtime and it looked straight out of it. And the surf station came out not long after Island Paradise.

When I brought it up, people said I was "reaching" lmao.

It doesn't help the point being made if people are angry at this Stuff Pack, but then not angry at The Sims 3 sets.

People seem to think that Stuff Packs aren't optional, as they always say the store was "optional".

A lot of the time, as @alanmichael1 pointed out, the EPs for The Sims 3 would cover the ground work for a lot of different content, but the store would offer the complete experience.

The Sims 3 & 4 EPs work very differently in a lot of ways, but that's another topic.

Case in point; You can't pick and choose when you get angry about it, because that sends mixed messages back to EA.

You either are happy with the idea, or you're not.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2018
    Social media wasn’t as popping back in 2011 as it is now. I think this is a main factor of the outrage today simply because more people have been made aware. And group think is a thing ya know.

That being said, I am in full support of the outrage. When I played TS3, I only bought 1 thing from that store and that was a pack that included the basketball goal. Dassit
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Showtime itself was thought to be the missing half of Late Night... Wasn't a big fan of Showtime...
  • TimelordSnowyTimelordSnowy Posts: 41 Member
    hyuh..I never knew this..I only ever got two things for the store. The art gallery set with the glass blowing(So much regret now...coulda probably got something more worth whiel with that twenty bucks..) and the nursery set(Not as much regret because I love family in that game and the toddler stuff in game,,wasnt enough for me) I mean I knew a set had the auto pet feeder(I rememebr seeing it in a video and thinking it cme wiht the pack but it didnt) But I never knew anything beyond that 0-0 wow
    Please Ping if responding to something I say. I wont see otherwise thank you :)
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Showtime itself was thought to be the missing half of Late Night... Wasn't a big fan of Showtime...

Aw I liked ST even though it had a lot of hate. The careers were fun and it had pool tables and karaoke!
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited March 2018
    Dirty Sims 3 secret -- the game runs so much better if you don't have a lot of store content.

One thing I do remember is the outrage over the Sims 3 store when they sold store items that seemed to be yanked from an EP. The store didn't bother me so much, because, as I said earlier, it was difficult to pay full price for anything with sim points unless you tried. I do own the pet stuff, but I probably got it as part of that compilation which I probably got for very little $$ due to ads, buying large bundles of Simpoints (twice -- that's it), and buying stuff during the daily deal to make CYS (Complete your set) give even better deals.

Sims 3 Store was almost like a game in and of itself. How to get the most stuff for the least amount of money. But it did take time to do that. Now I have almost none in my game because, really, aside from premium content, the EPs have enough stuff that combined with CASt, there really isn't a need.
    Post edited by Felicity on
    @Chazzzy wrote: »
    Social media wasn’t as popping back in 2011 as it is now. I think this is a main factor of the outrage today simply because more people have been made aware. And group think is a thing ya know.

That being said, I am in full support of the outrage. When I played TS3, I only bought 1 thing and that was a pack that included the basketball goal. Dassit

idk about that, Twitter has recently been doing worse than it has before. And the amount of teens on Facebook is also at an all time low. So there is that.

I think people just seem to excuse the store for some reason, because EA used words like "premium content" or "Gold Set" which in marketing terms, seems to make people okay with paying more.

Like "Premium editions" or "Deluxe Editions" etc. even though the extra content is never worth the extra price *looks at Sims 4 Deluxe Edition*
  • TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    I also hated the store. I don't agree with taking content out and paying extras for them. But tbh I probably will buy this. (I love hamsters for my sims) but I'll wait for a sale.
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »

Aw I liked ST even though it had a lot of hate. The careers were fun and it had pool tables and karaoke!
    It added some nice stuff but it's main focus in performing was implemented pretty badly... (Ugh Simport...)
    @Felicity wrote: »
    Dirty Sims 3 secret -- the game runs so much better if you don't have a lot of store content.

One thing I do remember is the outrage over the Sims 3 store when they sold store items that seemed to be yanked from an EP. The store didn't bother me so much, because, as I said earlier, it was difficult to pay full price for anything with sim points unless you tried. I do own the pet stuff, but I probably got it as part of that compilation which I probably got for very little $$ due to ads, buying large bundles of Simpoints (twice -- that's it), and ads and buying stuff during the daily deal to make CYS (Complete your set) give even better deals.

Sims 3 Store was almost like a game in and of itself. How to get the most stuff for the least amount of money. But it did take time to do that. Now I have almost none in my game because, really, aside from premium content, the EPs have enough stuff that combined with CASt, there really isn't a need.

I think the store content is good, but considering how expensive it is, they should have implemented it better.
    I remember getting Aurora Skies (which is still stunning to this day, ugh, beauty) but my game being much slower.

I love how EA have warnings for having too many packs installed may cause slowness, but then have no warnings for store content, which in my opinion, makes it much worse.

The whole store concept was so out of wack, but packs like My First Pet Stuff aren't the answer either.
    edited March 2018
    @TiaDog wrote: »
    I also hated the store. I don't agree with taking content out and paying extras for them. But tbh I probably will buy this. (I love hamsters for my sims) but I'll wait for a sale.

I think if people can at least wait for a sale (wait for the ones that take like 25% off the entire store, not just 10% or something), that will show EA that we won't pay full price, which if you see how often Stuff packs are on sale (basically never) is what EA want us to do.

a $2.50 difference to us isn't a lot, but to EA, those losses add up and will at least make them against doing this in the future.

If they can make that extra $2.50 a pack, they will. It's EA :p
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I didn't mind the store. At the time, I had the disposable income since I had paid off my car loan and student loans at the time. But with TS4 I love how we're getting more for our money.

As for the outrage on the forums, what I don't understand is where was the outrage when Toddler Stuff came out? There was so much of it here when they weren't in the game in the first place. Then, we got toddlers. After that, we got the Parenthood GP. But what happened when Toddler Stuff came out? Crickets.

That's why I'm NOT in support of this current outrage.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
    I didn't mind the store. At the time, I had the disposable income since I had paid off my car loan and student loans at the time. But with TS4 I love how we're getting more for our money.

As for the outrage on the forums, what I don't understand is where was the outrage when Toddler Stuff came out? There was so much of it here when they weren't in the game in the first place. Then, we got toddlers. After that, we got the Parenthood GP. But what happened when Toddler Stuff came out? Crickets.

See, Toddler Stuff is tricky to me. Because Toddler Stuff is for Toddlers to play outside on playgrounds etc. Parenthood only had activities for Toddlers/Kids that adults could "parent" as such. So bad behavior or good behavior.

Toddler Stuff is just straight up fun. I do think it's borderline, but had Parenthood been a Generations EP/GP, I would have reacted differently.

I think Parenthood didn't really focus on toys or playtime, it focused on parents being able to "parent" their children.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »

Actually, I was upset with their decision to create the Toddlers Stuff Pack. My sister and I both agreed that the content in that stuff pack should've been included with Parenthood. So, there were disagreements.

However, like OP said, the Parenthood pack was about parenting. The theme itself wasn't necessarily about adding content for toddlers. That's the difference.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
    The point is, The Sims 3 store was indeed a terrible idea. I won't disagree with you on that. However, it was also a 100% optional feature for a game that was already filled with a lot of content. You didn't need anything from the store to make the game itself enjoyable. The Sims 4 simply isn't the same. It gets boring and repetitive way too quickly. The new content is what makes the game re-playable for most people. Packs are basically a must have for this specific game. Otherwise, it wouldn't have any replay value. Especially when it's possible to do almost everything in one generation of a family. That's how lacking the game is (even after almost 4 years of being released).

On that token though, if The Sims 4 didn't have Stuff Packs, do you feel like it would be a huge loss?

I feel like people say that Stuff Packs add meaningful game play, but I always feel they add these extra pieces where the fun wears off a few days of playing.

Don't get me wrong, there's stuff that I do use, but it's mostly house filler. I don't feel like anything a SP has added has been a huge gain. The only thing is probably the Butler.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Except the crystal ball was created before supernaturel