Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could EA have done something other than coming out with My First Pet?

13...Next

Comments

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2018
    This content should have been in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to begin with for no additional charge. (If so, how/budget/why?)
    Cats and dogs feels like half an EP anyway. And now they want to milk it more?!

Not to mention they've jacked up the price of packs in Canada. Not paying more than ever before for less than ever before. Any prior game this would have been included in the EP. Maybe odds and ends in a small store pack. But this... puts the Sims 3 store to shame for gouging customers. 66 bucks for what cost 40 in previous games. Maybe, thats probably still being generous to EA.

Just done with it all after this announcement honestly.

Post edited by dreamerz13 on
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Other (If so, why?)
    I would of preferred a pet store game pack that offered everything from birds hamsters turtles rabbits and fish tanks you can interact with. The only ties I want to see to Cats and Dogs would be a option to sell them in the pet store sure not more ugly pet clothing and more pet themed recolored furniture the only thing I wanted to see is a dog house and of course it did not come in this useless pack.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    They should have hamsters in a separate stuff or game pack, preferably with other caged pets (such as birds, lizards, rabbits, etc.)
    This pet pack has a very specific audience - people who bought Cats&Dogs and want more pet things and are willing to pay for expansions to expansions. If you're not part of this audience, just don't buy it.

EA wants to know how many of them there are who want more pet stuff, then it'll decide how much pet stuff to put in other packs. Which is fine for owners of Cats&Dogs since they'll still be able to use the whole pack. Not so much for those who don't own it. It's in no way forcing anybody to buy C&D but it makes the packs less value for those without it.

So if you want to get mad, do so with the right reasons. It's NOT the Devs being lazy. It's EA being greedy.

To be honest, there's not many ways we could have gotten more pet stuff without putting it in packs and you'll never have a use for pet stuff without C&D whether it's free or patched. As for patching it all in, yeah, right. EA is reluctant to reskin a T-Shirt for free.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    This content should have been in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack to begin with for no additional charge. (If so, how/budget/why?)
    I expect to see zero Cat/Dog content in future packs. EA had an expansion dedicated entirely to those two animals, if they didn’t see something as important enough for that pack it shouldn’t be created later on and sold in a separate pack. They aren’t going to change course with this SP, but hopefully this outrage stops them from creating DLC for DLC in the future. It’s bad business.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    They should have hamsters in a separate stuff or game pack, preferably with other caged pets (such as birds, lizards, rabbits, etc.)
    I expect to see zero Cat/Dog content in future packs. EA had an expansion dedicated entirely to those two animals, if they didn’t see something as important enough for that pack it shouldn’t be created later on and sold in a separate pack. They aren’t going to change course with this SP, but hopefully this outrage stops them from creating DLC for DLC in the future. It’s bad business.

It's not bad business at all. Not if you don't mind grinding somebody else's franchise down into a fine powder to sell it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    Other (If so, why?)
    They can make thousands of Pets packs, none of them will be purchased by me.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    They should have two versions of Cats & Dogs, the basic EP, and then the deluxe version for $10 more that includes the My First Pet content.
    I would have rather paid $5 more for Cats & Dogs than see an EP Stuff Pack
    well thats a lie, cuz im never buying anything from EA ever again, but if i did i would have chosen this option. :p
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I like the idea of Expansion Pack Stuff Packs
    I'm curious about the option to basically pay the same amount extra onto the C&D? Isn't that ultimately the same thing, only you're denying folks the option to just have small pets, or just have C&D?

If the EP pack is $50 but now you don't have the small pets pack seperate... what good does that help anybody in the end? lol I'm trying really hard to understand this reasoning. You're literally only denying a pack choice for some players then. Because whether it's one or two packs, you'd get it all anyway.

(And to be honest, if the small pets pack were in C&D, I'd doubt we'd get half the pets we're getting, the 'secret lives' they're living, or the new pet illness. We'd get maybe a couple different hampster types and that's probably it.)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I'm curious about the option to basically pay the same amount extra onto the C&D? Isn't that ultimately the same thing, only you're denying folks the option to just have small pets, or just have C&D?

If the EP pack is $50 but now you don't have the small pets pack seperate... what good does that help anybody in the end? lol I'm trying really hard to understand this reasoning. You're literally only denying a pack choice for some players then. Because whether it's one or two packs, you'd get it all anyway.

(And to be honest, if the small pets pack were in C&D, I'd doubt we'd get half the pets we're getting, the 'secret lives' they're living, or the new pet illness. We'd get maybe a couple different hampster types and that's probably it.)

Believe me they could add this SP into that EP and it would still be $40. They could have released C&D without small pets, or the Vet clinic, and it would still be $40. These digital packs aren’t like lunchmeat, they don’t throw them on a scale and determine their price based on their mass.

The only real work that had to be done for this SP was the hamster. It’s area of movement is limited to the width of 2 tiles. Seeing how they blast off in a rocket ship and send you post cards these “secret lives” are off screen events. They have the complexity of babies in this game. I’m assuming the illnesses are made using the system from GTW, with some variation in the effects. Dunno if there’s a new animation for the death, but it seems plausible enough that they could have stuck that in the expansion pack too.
    I doubt mass isn't a factor (because I have a feeling packs can only be a certain size in total gigs or whatever, not infinitely huge), but even if it's not, time certainly is. They have deadlines to meet, budgets to deal with, etc etc. Otherwise you could say "well we could just go 4 years with no dlc until they put everything into one single 400 GB package" or something.

Whether you care to admit it or not, there are limitations. This isn't a fantasy world where everything can be done on a whim, and where wishes are granted by genies and if you want 40 different zoo animals in 4 hours, you get them. :|

Much like with films, shows, books, etc, games are developed, outlined, trimmed, and edited before the first new object is even drawn out. We saw this on a small level with the community SP. They most likely brainstormed from Pets EP, to Cats-Dogs-Hamsters EP, to C&D EP, based on what was feasible to make, and all that. Did you learn nothing from the voting? Everything from theme to icon and name was trimmed down from crazy amounts of options to what eventually works/fits.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I doubt mass isn't a factor (because I have a feeling packs can only be a certain size in total gigs or whatever, not infinitely huge), but even if it's not, time certainly is. They have deadlines to meet, budgets to deal with, etc etc. Otherwise you could say "well we could just go 4 years with no dlc until they put everything into one single 400 GB package" or something.

Whether you care to admit it or not, there are limitations. This isn't a fantasy world where everything can be done on a whim, and where wishes are granted by genies and if you want 40 different zoo animals in 4 hours, you get them. :|

Much like with films, shows, books, etc, games are developed, outlined, trimmed, and edited before the first new object is even drawn out. We saw this on a small level with the community SP. They most likely brainstormed from Pets EP, to Cats-Dogs-Hamsters EP, to C&D EP, based on what was feasible to make, and all that. Did you learn nothing from the voting? Everything from theme to icon and name was trimmed down from crazy amounts of options to what eventually works/fits.

That's not true at all ahaha TS4 EP's aren't even that big compared to TS3 packs size wise. And ME:A is 50 GB's.

So....no they don't really have size limit.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited March 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

That's not true at all ahaha TS4 EP's aren't even that big compared to TS3 packs size wise. And ME:A is 50 GB's.

So....no they don't really have size limit.

Care to share proof about, oh I dunno, their server requirements, whatever Origin might limit them with, limitations that might be on any discs they still produce (I know most of the world goes digital now but there may still be countries that use physical copies), the Xbox ports having size limits now, etc etc?

Also, why are you comparing a full game download with dlc? Of course dlc is smaller. It's DLC. :|
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'm not entirely too sure what to vote, but I'm pretty excited. The hamsters seem really cool, and I like the furniture. Would I have liked a small pets GP? Yeah I guess, but not so soon after JA.
  • softrosa37softrosa37 Posts: 2 New Member
    Other (If so, why?)
    Other... There is no excuse for the obvious greed they are clearly showing. People have every freaking right to complain. I don't expect anything for free...I expect to get my money's worth. They are clearly showing how greedy they are...and guess everyone just lets them get away with it. Heck Electronic Art threatened their own clients right from the start; claiming they won't make sims 5 if everyone complains.....how much crap is everyone gonna take. Sims 4 could have been 20 x better then it is and they know it. It is suppose to have an artificial intelligent (robot) system in the game...I don't see anything intelligent about it. I bet you all in the next month a Critter Game Pack will be released...
  • WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
    I never heard of requiring an expansion for a stuff pack. Wow, very lame. We should be getting new content, not adds on to an add on. Can't expect much from EA, though. Hopefully, they realize how stupid this is and just make it a free game like the holiday stuff. Knowing them, I doubt that will even happen.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    It does worry me that this will be the way packs work from now on.
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think it was originally intended to be included in cats and dogs, then I think it was planned to be a free update for those who purchased cats and dogs then the higher ups decided they could make money from it. They knew there would be a negative reaction to it, why else would they leave it out of the quarterly teaser? I'm only guessing though. The clothing for cats and dogs should have been in the EP for sure, especially as many of them are mimicking clothing from the base game. Also the buy items from the SP that complete sets from cats and dogs should have been in the EP - obviously and I don't think I even need to explain why. If it is to be paid content then people who don't have cats and dogs (I do) should have got it for half price since they only have access to half the content, they could unlock the rest of the pack after installing Cats and Dogs if they pay the other half.

I also think Toddlers were probably initially intended to be paid content, but they realised there would be uproar.

We haven't had a huge free update in a while, the build update in November was good but the last huge one was Toddlers over a year ago. I'm still waiting for some of the old characters to come back, particularly the burglar and firemen and women. They were getting added one by one - Ghosts got patched in, then repair man, then gardeners, tragic clown and finally nannies in July of 2016. Since then we have been lacking on that front. Oh and spiral stairs!

I don't know how TS4 got away with the skeleton they released in 2014, I played it for 2 hours then didn't touch it again until Dine Out. Nobody expected a full game but it was even missing basic things. If there is ever a Sims 5 i'm going to buy it some years after release.

Edit: I didn't intend for this post to come across as a big rant, but when I get typing I find it hard to stop!
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I am unenthused.

It should have been a chickens and bunnies stuff pack.
    Chickens and bunnies make fantastic pets.
    Chickens also provide eggs.
    It could have included egg cups for children and toddlers, chicken and bunny themed home wares, and clothing.

Chickens and bunnies can live in similar hutch/coops, and be let out in the back yard. Bunnies would eat your veggie patch, while chickens would eat any bugs in it.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I think the stuff pack contents should have been included in Cats and Dogs and maybe have added the small pets in their own separate stuff or game pack rather than in an expansion for and expansion. It's actually a disappointing pack.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Krista_18Krista_18 Posts: 7 New Member
    Nothing. I'm excited for My First Pet Stuff Pack the way it is.
    Probably shouldn't have had stuff in it for another expansion but I am bad always wanting more stuff lol.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I don't mind that it was added in a stuff pack, so people don't have to have C&D to enjoy small pets. My issue is that they should have added more than just one type of pet - should have been reptiles and birds too.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Hamsters couldve worked for a small pets GP. Much of the CAS or furniture could've been split between the two packs, future packs, or just promotional freebies.