Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reasons there will not be a Sims 5

LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
edited March 2018 in Off Topic Chat
Okay, maybe there will be future Sims-based games. But a Sims 5, a real sequel?

1: It's not about what WE want.
What? How can our demandss go unnoticed?! I'll tell you - it's EA. They are not listening to us, they will make it if THEY want to. And that depends on whether the profit will be worth the time.

2: New games are expensive, DLC is cheap
Yup, why would EA spend all the time and money developing a new engine and the risk of pushing a new game when they can make easier money from DLC?

3: THere are better things for EA to work on
By which I mean, SIms isn't their flagship. They make more money from FIFA and Star Wars. Why spend money on Sims 5 when they're getting so much money through lootboxes?

4: New games take a long time to make
It takes about three years to make a game. Sims 3 was being worked on almost as soon as Sims 2 was out. Maxis keeps saying that Sims 5 isn't in the works now - it will be created if Sims 4 is a success and that's a pretty weird statement, because if Sims 4 still has plenty of money to make, why would they stop? It could be a lie, of course. But they're outright SAYING it. No "We have ideas". No "Maybe, we'll see." Nothing leaked or clued in on. At best it's "Don't hold your breath." Every time they say that, we can presume it tacks another three years on.

5: Consoles have just gotten Sims 4
And they have a backlog of expansions that needs to be released, which could take over a year. With the lack of news of a Sims 5, this is EA saying "This could be your last chance to play The Sims." Information along the lines of "Well, next year we'll be turning out Sims 5 which will be better" will put console players off.

6: There's so far to go.
Everybody's said that Sims 4 is missing a lot of stuff. Indeed. Which means there's a lot more packs yet to come. Three sizes of packs, which means when they run out of EPs then they can kick that team and keep going with GP and SP. Or they might just pretend that some GPs are EPs.

7: What would they do new? And how?
Yeah, yeah, I've heard people saying they want open worlds and vehicles. That's not new. What would a Sims 5 do that hadn't been done before? Most likely some kind of Online Play. They'd probably bring back the Shop. Micro-transactions. Ultimately not a ton of new stuff that benefits the player. Would they have more realistic Sims? EA specifically stated that they chose this cartoony style because it stands the test of time. That way people are less inclined to say "Sims 4's graphics have really aged".

8: Could your computer run it?
If your computer can't run it, you won't buy it. And the deeper the game the more powerful your computer needs to be. That's why there was lag in Sims 3 - the required specs weren't high enough to prevent lag. Are the people who play Sims 4 using fast enough computers?

9: Rumours, rumours and more rumours
Look up "Sims 5". All you ever see is "I heard this" and "Fans want that." Nothing concrete. I refuse to consider rumours to be any kind of fact.

All these reasons - based on money and programming - are why I don't see EA hiring a team for a Sims 5 any time soon. Never say Never. But I think it's further off than 2020. VR? Maybe - but would that be what we would call "Sims 5"? I'm not getting an Oculous. I'd look like an idiot!
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

Comments

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    It's probably a case of how much content can you plug into an engine before it starts to creak.

Sims 4 has many logistical shortcomings that facilitate extra content.

Technically, TS4 can be milked like a mother.

However, if there is to be a TS5, then it would have to move into parallel development.

The cow is fat though.
  • Options
    I can quote this from 2016:

"EA has further announced to reassure fans that Maxis is working on the support and development of the Sims by focusing on expansion packages for the game across all gaming platforms."

Playing The Sims on all gaming platforms doesn't equate to a Sims 5. Sims 4 came out to Consoles, and there's a version on Mobile - but these are not new games. Another good thing about the cartoony style of the game is that it translates well across all the platforms, while highly realistic graphics wouldn't translate so well to less powerful systems - like Sims Mobile.

What EA is focusing on personally, is getting Sims 4 to as many players as possible, which is why I doubt there will be an a Sims 5. The more packs, the more they can sell to these other consoles.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m not sure there will be a sims 5.

But that said I don’t think the sims 4 having fort game packs and 10 expansions is realistic. The engine will not be able to handle it.
  • Options
    I just found this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-As1XUCgdh4

Yes, I was sitting there for a minute going "ARGH! All that money I spent WASTED!!!"

Then I noticed the comments and thought, "YAY! I'm a total gimboid! Also, I was right!"

See, Sims 5 is NOT coming out 2019. It's not even being made. EA knows about the... uh... people who keep saying it'll be out soon. "No, we're not 90% of the way through Sims 4. Be quiet and enjoy Sims 4."
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

To be honest I am not expecting a Sims 5 based on comments that were made in the past. If there is it will be their game again, not what I want. I will continue to enjoy my game on disk and not be tied to the internet to play. AND even more important will spend my gaming money on other companies that make games their fans want. :) Witcher 4 anyone?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Most of those aren't even actual reasons.

I'm sure TS5 will come up eventually either next or the following year.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    I just found this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-As1XUCgdh4

Yes, I was sitting there for a minute going "ARGH! All that money I spent WASTED!!!"

Then I noticed the comments and thought, "YAY! I'm a total gimboid! Also, I was right!"

See, Sims 5 is NOT coming out 2019. It's not even being made. EA knows about the... uh... people who keep saying it'll be out soon. "No, we're not 90% of the way through Sims 4. Be quiet and enjoy Sims 4."

It's probably being made considering timelines of previous games and game development in general.

People's comments don't mean a thing. That doesn't even make any sense. And the same comments floated with TS3 and TS2. TS4 players though seem to be the most scared and threatened by a TS5 though. Probably because they know TS4 isn't that good and spent cash on it, waiting for it to go good when it never does.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1