Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CONFIRMED: Guinea Pig Disease in new Stuff Pack!!

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Is the hamster suit available to wear at parties or out for lunch?

Hamster Night at bars? Ugh.

That's it. I'm making a kleptomaniac hamster club. And they are going to annoy the plum out of my town.

It could be like those rodents in those car adds that like loud music.

Ya'll are giving me ideas. I'm thinking my hamster club is going to hand out hamster cages to the families in town. The parents/teens who don't make sure the hamsters are taken care of will fall ill...and worse. Then the hamster club comes to collect the children like the pied piper. Annnnd I just managed to disturb myself. Okay, maybe no hamster club.

Kind of like an evil takeover of giant alien hamsters by giving out what appears to harmless pet hamsters in habitats (that's why, at night, they can rocket off to the mothership in the atmosphere above the worlds to report in) and eventually, cause all adult humans to die. Thus, WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!

OK, the hamster club is back on. They may end up being aliens, whose alien form is Hamster. Or vampires, because snarling Hamster dark form. Wait, are we even sure this is available as a costume yet? :D

I've asked, but seeing the sim dance in it makes me think it can be a costume. But let's try again.

@SimGuruGraham Is the hamster suit a costume that can be worn for fun or profit? (Let's see how long it takes to get an answer, but don't hold your breath).

How about a save with different animals (sims in costume) living in different neighborhoods. Maybe the brown, Panda and polar bears all get along but hate the fruit bears and snub them in public.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Without treatment, after 72 hours of Rabid Rodent Fever, your Sim will die. Should they come back in the afterlife, you'll find that they've transformed into an oversized ghostly hamster that's foaming at the mouth. A fearsome sight indeed!

Oh man someone is gonna die just so I can see this! >:):D
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Sort of a related question as such, did you know you were going to bring back the disease and that’s what made you choose which small pet to bring back? Or was it the other way around?

Also, was this more of a case that you knew you wanted to bring back the Guinea Pig from Livin Large, and had to find a way to incorporate it? Or was it simply because C&D didn’t come with small Pets?

Also, one last thing, was the Guinea Pig the only thing that’s recently inspired you from TS1, or has there been more of look into TS1 in general and what quirks that game had that could find its way back?

*cough* Genie *cough* Servo *cough* Scuba Tank

Sorry, I seem to be coughing up a storm here.

:p

It’s just I do think The Sims 1 has a lot of gameplay items that would feel rather odd or out of place in modern GPs and EPs but could work within the scope of a Stuff Pack.

Ah, the old chicken and the egg question... So, we decided to create rodents first, and then thought further about fun things we could do with the rodents to have then be more than just a little critter in a cage. My mind immediately jumped to the guinea pig disease, because it's one of those fun deaths from the series that's always brought up when people chat about the crazy things that happened in past Sims games. Some of the more devious deaths from past games always delighted me, so stories of a contagious disease that could unwittingly spread and wipe out Sim neighborhoods had an immediate appeal ;) (Side note, I'm also a big fan of the Corrupted Blood Plague incident that hit the population in World of Warcraft.)

As to why we picked rodents specifically... I think there's always appeal in having an animal to care for, and one that doesn't require the same level of attention that a cat or dog needs may fit some player's stories better. Nothing against reptiles or birds, but rodents were the most common little critter of the ones that we could have added. With the expansion team choosing to focus on different features in Cats & Dogs, smaller pets still seemed like something that had a history in The Sims, and something that players would appreciate having.

As for other quirky/fun things from past titles finding there way back into the game... It's always a possibility. There's lots of people in the Maxis studio who have been here for many years and many iterations of The Sims, so there's plenty of fond memories and nostalgia.

Anything else you want to know about Rabid Rodent Fever? Ask away!
    If your rabid hamster ghost was to eat ambrosia would they just be a rabid hamster Sim then? Also, if they take the inoculation serum as a cure for being a rabid hamster ghost, does this make you then immune to future outbreaks or only get rid of the current situation? I don't think I want my Sims to be immune :D LOL I think it will be quite hilarious.

Hah no, eating ambrosia and coming back to life will also remove the giant hamster form they find themselves cursed with as a ghost. They'd return to life as a normal Sim.

And actually, yes... drinking the inoculation to remove their giant hamster form as a ghost would also protect them from ever catching the curse again, should they be brought back to life. As an aside, ghosts are also immune from catching Rabid Rodent Fever (but would typically become vulnerable again once brought back to life.) Interesting point there, I'll jot down a note to consider adjusting that.

tobumon wrote: »
    Pets are immune to the disease?

That's correct, pets can't catch Rabid Rodent Fever.

Is the hamster suit available to wear at parties or out for lunch?

Sure, you can select it in CAS for your Sims. Other Sims around town will not randomly wear it.

So, if I understand the "rules" of this new Rodent flu, a child can get bitten and pass the disease on to their family, who could all die leaving just the kid and the hamster to live happily ever after?

No, to catch Rabid Rodent Fever, a Sim must be a teen or older. They have to catch the disease to progress to stage 3, at which point it becomes contagious for other Sims (also teen or older) to then catch from being in close proximity to the sick Sim.

• PopcornHotsaucePopcornHotsauce Posts: 143 Member

Some of the more devious deaths from past games always delighted me, so stories of a contagious disease that could unwittingly spread and wipe out Sim neighborhoods had an immediate appeal ;) (Side note, I'm also a big fan of the Corrupted Blood Plague incident that hit the population in World of Warcraft.)
    I like your style. I also fondly remember the Blood Plague! I'm starting to get excited about these creative little rodents and their secret workshop :) Thank you for bringing back the quirkiness and deviousness! It's always a highlight of any pack for me.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hey everyone, I'm sure some of you have been following along as I've been busy replying to questions on twitter all day. I thought this would be a good spot to share more about that infamous disease that's making a return though, as I can get a bit more in-depth here :)

First off, yes... there's a dangerous, deadly, and quite contagious disease coming. This time, it's called Rabid Rodent Fever. If your Sim suffers through until - I must say - a somewhat gruesome death, there's even a fun twist to discover in the afterlife. Not to worry though, there's steps you can take to protect, or to cure your Sim. Here's how it works...

For the initial outbreak of the disease to occur, a Sim must be bitten by a rodent that's inside a dirty habitat. Once this happens, it's only a matter of time until the Sim begins to feel the effects...

Day 1
    - Your Sim may develop a bit of a nagging cough, or perhaps a headache. Surely it will blow over... *evil cackle* (It won't.) >:)

Day 2
    - The symptoms can't simply be brushed aside any longer. In addition to clearly showing signs of a nasty fever, your Sim's bladder and hygiene motives will decrease much faster than normal.

Day 3
    - In addition to the disease having fully set in, your Sim has now become dangerously contagious. Simply standing in the vicinity of a Sim in stage 3 of Rabid Rodent Fever is enough for other Sims to contract the sickness. The sick Sim will continue to show their symptoms, their bladder and hygiene will continue to be difficult to control, and in addition they'll need to run to the toilet to throw up from time to time. It's quite unpleasant for them.

Without treatment, after 72 hours of Rabid Rodent Fever, your Sim will die. Should they come back in the afterlife, you'll find that they've transformed into an oversized ghostly hamster that's foaming at the mouth. A fearsome sight indeed!

As grim as this all may sound, don't let it be a cause for concern. Sims who are afflicted with Rabid Rodent Fever must first research the disease on a computer, or visit a veterinarian to find out more about it. Armed with information, they can then order a serum from the computer, which will immediately cure them when drank. If this disease is something you want to avoid in your game completely, you can also order an inoculation for the disease from the computer, which will permanently safeguard your Sim from contracting the disease.

With all of that said, let me share a few additional details so that speculation doesn't run rampant. Here's some specifics about how it all works...
    • Every Sim has the potential to catch Rabid Rodent Fever, be they a member of your household, a played family for rotational players, or a NPC Sim.
    • Only Sims in the active household that you're currently playing will be able to die from Rabid Rodent Fever. Sims that you've played previously, or NPC Sims, will eventually cure themselves of the sickness.
    • Only Sims in your currently active household can spread the disease to other Sims.
    • While your Sims have 72 hours to live once they've caught Rabid Rodent Fever, this time will be paused when they're not actively loaded. For example, if you've left your Sim's mom sick at home with Rabid Rodent Fever while you're off gallivanting in the jungles of Selvadorada, you won't return to find that she's passed away while you were gone. Some may notice that this is a nod to how the disease worked in The Sims: Livin' Large. ;)
    • Rabid Rodent Fever can only be caught by Sims who are teens and older. Those darn kids with their strong immune systems... :#
    • Despite death resulting in a cursed ghost that returns to walk the earth as an over sized rabid hamster, there's still hope for these lost souls. Drinking the inoculation serum as this ghost will transform them back to looking like their normal (yet still ghostly) Sim selves again.

thank you I look foreword to this I'm counting the days >:)>:)<3@SimGuruGraham I think you might be my favorite guru
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Puncky99Puncky99 Posts: 338 Member
    @SimGuruGraham: when reading your answer to @Dannydanbo I think his thought is right or I don't understand your explanation.
    For example: I have a family with a child, a teen and mom and dad and the teen catches the Rodent Fever. Mom and dad catch the Rodent Fever from the teen and (when no cure is taken) they will all die. :o Then the child becomes an orphan! Or not? ;)
    Onderschrift_Luna_1_met_Logo_zpsbwcad4il.jpg

EA ID: Simmie99
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MoonshineSim
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MoonshineSim/
    Please visit my website for more of my creations.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited March 2018
    Puncky99 wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham: when reading your answer to @Dannydanbo I think his thought is right or I don't understand your explanation.
    For example: I have a family with a child, a teen and mom and dad and the teen catches the Rodent Fever. Mom and dad catch the Rodent Fever from the teen and (when no cure is taken) they will all die. :o Then the child becomes an orphan! Or not? ;)

The hamster will care for the child. :D
    You know, he's living this secret life where he trained to be a good parent
    a256aFi.gif
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

The hamster will care for the child. :D
    You know, he's living this secret life where he trained to be a good parent

:D will he instruct the child in the ways of the hamster?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • TheNUBaliciousTheNUBalicious Posts: 113 Member
    Hah no, eating ambrosia and coming back to life will also remove the giant hamster form they find themselves cursed with as a ghost. They'd return to life as a normal Sim.

And actually, yes... drinking the inoculation to remove their giant hamster form as a ghost would also protect them from ever catching the curse again, should they be brought back to life. As an aside, ghosts are also immune from catching Rabid Rodent Fever (but would typically become vulnerable again once brought back to life.) Interesting point there, I'll jot down a note to consider adjusting that.
    Couldn't there be a cure like the medicine in GTW that only lifts the illness that is separate from the inoculation which makes you immune? I know I personally don't want my Sims to be immune, it's too funny LOL
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood the question. Yes, if all of the teen or older Sims in the household were to die from Rabid Rodent Fever, it'd be the same as if they died in any other way in the game. The child would be orphaned, and you'd get the Game Over message since there'd be nobody left to care for the child.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    @SimGuruGraham (From the sourced info thread, a question):
    Ack! "Brain numbing treat" sounds so barbaric. I'm going to think of it as ice cream (brain freeze?) instead. Can the "ice cream" (ahem) be reversed for those who want to start their little guys as normal rodents and have them turn into creative geniuses?

Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I started thinking about killing off all the adults in one save.. but yeah gotta keep a few caregivers around for my little sociopaths darlings.
    egTcBMc.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I started thinking about killing off all the adults in one save.. but yeah gotta keep a few caregivers around for my little sociopaths darlings.

Save some teens for that, maybe?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited March 2018
    So the rat becomes Splinter from TMNT? You could move in a new sim in the hamster costume to BE Splinter as a mutant adult to care for the puny humans.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Wait a minute!

Let's just all pause and breathe.

Are we saying a Sim can turn into a huge rodent?

Yes

Or it's just a costume

It's a ghost. Sims that die from the rodent disease become a hamster ghost.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    @SimGuruGraham there is still the question of why where you updating your Twitter with bug pic if you were just hinting at rodents?
  • scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    So I take my favorite sacrificial Vampire. Get him/her a pet rodent. Then when the rodent dirties it cage get it to bite said vampire. Once the Vampire gets sick neglect treating it's "Rabid Rodent Fever" till the vampire meets the reaper and it's unlife is over. Wait tell said dead vampire wanders the earth as an "over sized rabid hamster". Invite it back into the family. Then I get a playable over sized, rabid, vampiric, hamster ghost? This is so cool!

I never new I wanted this but I want it bad! I can't think of a cooler life state! I can't wait. The sim world never thought such a horror could come out of the dark places in our mind to bit them! I am cackling evilly as we wait. I stoked! This is exciting stuff. I have to give it the evil trait. giant, evil, rabid, vampiric, hamster, ghosts now that is scary yet so cute!

So this works, right? Can I play as a giant evil vampiric hamster ghost? Undead giant rodents sucking the blood of the living will rock!
    scoed1227 wrote: »
    So I take my favorite sacrificial Vampire. Get him/her a pet rodent. Then when the rodent dirties it cage get it to bite said vampire. Once the Vampire gets sick neglect treating it's "Rabid Rodent Fever" till the vampire meets the reaper and it's unlife is over. Wait tell said dead vampire wanders the earth as an "over sized rabid hamster". Invite it back into the family. Then I get a playable over sized, rabid, vampiric, hamster ghost? This is so cool!

I never new I wanted this but I want it bad! I can't think of a cooler life state! I can't wait. The sim world never thought such a horror could come out of the dark places in our mind to bit them! I am cackling evilly as we wait. I stoked! This is exciting stuff. I have to give it the evil trait. giant, evil, rabid, vampiric, hamster, ghosts now that is scary yet so cute!

So this works, right? Can I play as a giant evil vampiric hamster ghost? Undead giant rodents sucking the blood of the living will rock!

Vampires are technically dead already so, can they die from rat flu? @SimGuruGraham
    They can die in other ways like sun, being hysterical too long, being in the sauna too long and the like, so why not? And they can be ghosts as well. In fact I have a ghost vamp in a family. So the ghost thing shouldn't be an issue. So as long as they have it that a alien or a vampire can get the fever making an giant evil vampiric hamster ghost should be possible. Heck lets make the vamp a half alien on top of that so we have a half-alien giant evil vampiric hamster ghost the most evil form of cuteness in the world! (insert squeaky evil crackle here)

Please @SIMGURUGRAHAM confirm vamps and aliens can get this fever and die so the half-alien giant evil vampiric hamster ghost can rise and sneak into the nightmares of sims everywhere! (insert squeaky evil crackle here)
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member

Ah, the old chicken and the egg question... So, we decided to create rodents first, and then thought further about fun things we could do with the rodents to have then be more than just a little critter in a cage. My mind immediately jumped to the guinea pig disease, because it's one of those fun deaths from the series that's always brought up when people chat about the crazy things that happened in past Sims games. Some of the more devious deaths from past games always delighted me, so stories of a contagious disease that could unwittingly spread and wipe out Sim neighborhoods had an immediate appeal ;)(Side note, I'm also a big fan of the Corrupted Blood Plague incident that hit the population in World of Warcraft.)

Ahhhhh :love: , World of Warcraft, second game a love, can't become addicted again though :tongue:

This idea of the hamster and rodent fever is a good one, to bad they didn't implement this idea on a game pack with more small pets, i think they did it the wrong way. Now that people was starting to trust them again and their content, they did this, wrong move.

Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Hey everyone, I'm sure some of you have been following along as I've been busy replying to questions on twitter all day. I thought this would be a good spot to share more about that infamous disease that's making a return though, as I can get a bit more in-depth here :)

First off, yes... there's a dangerous, deadly, and quite contagious disease coming. This time, it's called Rabid Rodent Fever. If your Sim suffers through until - I must say - a somewhat gruesome death, there's even a fun twist to discover in the afterlife. Not to worry though, there's steps you can take to protect, or to cure your Sim. Here's how it works...

For the initial outbreak of the disease to occur, a Sim must be bitten by a rodent that's inside a dirty habitat. Once this happens, it's only a matter of time until the Sim begins to feel the effects...

Day 1
    - Your Sim may develop a bit of a nagging cough, or perhaps a headache. Surely it will blow over... *evil cackle* (It won't.) >:)

Day 2
    - The symptoms can't simply be brushed aside any longer. In addition to clearly showing signs of a nasty fever, your Sim's bladder and hygiene motives will decrease much faster than normal.

Day 3
    - In addition to the disease having fully set in, your Sim has now become dangerously contagious. Simply standing in the vicinity of a Sim in stage 3 of Rabid Rodent Fever is enough for other Sims to contract the sickness. The sick Sim will continue to show their symptoms, their bladder and hygiene will continue to be difficult to control, and in addition they'll need to run to the toilet to throw up from time to time. It's quite unpleasant for them.

As grim as this all may sound, don't let it be a cause for concern. Sims who are afflicted with Rabid Rodent Fever must first research the disease on a computer, or visit a veterinarian to find out more about it. Armed with information, they can then order a serum from the computer, which will immediately cure them when drank. If this disease is something you want to avoid in your game completely, you can also order an inoculation for the disease from the computer, which will permanently safeguard your Sim from contracting the disease.

With all of that said, let me share a few additional details so that speculation doesn't run rampant. Here's some specifics about how it all works...
    • Every Sim has the potential to catch Rabid Rodent Fever, be they a member of your household, a played family for rotational players, or a NPC Sim.
    • Only Sims in the active household that you're currently playing will be able to die from Rabid Rodent Fever. Sims that you've played previously, or NPC Sims, will eventually cure themselves of the sickness.
    • Only Sims in your currently active household can spread the disease to other Sims.
    • While your Sims have 72 hours to live once they've caught Rabid Rodent Fever, this time will be paused when they're not actively loaded. For example, if you've left your Sim's mom sick at home with Rabid Rodent Fever while you're off gallivanting in the jungles of Selvadorada, you won't return to find that she's passed away while you were gone. Some may notice that this is a nod to how the disease worked in The Sims: Livin' Large. ;)
    • Rabid Rodent Fever can only be caught by Sims who are teens and older. Those darn kids with their strong immune systems... :#
    • Despite death resulting in a cursed ghost that returns to walk the earth as an over sized rabid hamster, there's still hope for these lost souls. Drinking the inoculation serum as this ghost will transform them back to looking like their normal (yet still ghostly) Sim selves again.

thank you I look foreword to this I'm counting the days >:)>:)<3@SimGuruGraham I think you might be my favorite guru

So so so excited for this! I sometimes like playing devinaltly and this will be perfect for some evil simming. (Inset evil laughter here)

• Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I remember the guinea pig disease in Sims 1. It was all so random. You learned pretty quickly to burn the clown picture and hang the guinea pig one.
    Giant evil vampiric hamster ghosts Have been confirmed as possible in the live stream! Now I am stoked!!!!!
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Yup, the illness can kill Vampires! Woot! The embarassing hamster suit when they're ghosts is just a bonus!

I think Graham just made a miracle. He made me wanna play a Vampire! >:)>:)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • TheNUBaliciousTheNUBalicious Posts: 113 Member
    @SimGuruGraham I was missing bits and pieces of the stream and wanted to know for sure, the two rodent cures that were shown - does the first one just cure illness and not make you immune? I hope so! >:)

d0iIgcu.png?1