Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

question for everyone about city living

2...Next

Comments

• JulieJLynnJulieJLynn Posts: 39 Member
    I love City Living! I think it is a cool pack and the backdrops are pretty but that's what they are, backdrops. I do wish it was larger and there was more to explore but I do enjoy the world and the things that came with it.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I just want to know why there are mountains so close in the background. I thought it was the city? But yeah I really would like to do more in San Myshuno. Also, what kind of a name is SAN MYSHUNO...

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Bingo
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • FrooskFroosk Posts: 3 New Member
    CL is an average pack. I do agree with you though. The backdrop is amazing but the lack of interaction with it is sad.
  • lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    I was always having save issues with Sims 3, unlike any of the others. TS1, TS2 and TS4 all worked well for me with almost no crashing. I'm not sure it was the open world that caused the issues or not, but I never really got to play it that long and what's the point in playing for any length of time only to find out I can't save my game?! At least we aren't stuck on just our home lot like TS1 and TS2 any more. Even if we can't play in the backdrop, it is visually appealing.

There are things I miss in Sims 3, but open world really isn't one of them. What is lack luster in my opinion is the content of each pack we are offered. Only Vampires and not the other supernaturals, only Cats & Dogs and no other animals, some EPs not even giving new aspirations.

I recently started a new game to try and focus on skills and activities that don't have an aspiration. I've never really tried running a retail store or restaurant or completed the wellness or photography skills, for example.
  • FireclawFireclaw Posts: 10 New Member
    I don't like how small sims 4 worlds are in general.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I don’t play in SM. I would love a good city world, but it’s not a good city world. It’s too small, and there is not enough lots there. I hate how the apartments are set up, but there’s not enough of those either. I just don’t think Sims 4 worlds are very good.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I don’t play in SM. I would love a good city world, but it’s not a good city world. It’s too small, and there is not enough lots there. I hate how the apartments are set up, but there’s not enough of those either. I just don’t think Sims 4 worlds are very good.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I just want to know why there are mountains so close in the background. I thought it was the city? But yeah I really would like to do more in San Myshuno. Also, what kind of a name is SAN MYSHUNO...

There are cities with mountains around them. My daughter lives in one. She had a great mountain view from her apartment last year. (Her new apartment not so much.)

Myshuno is a game in Sims 2. The city name is a tribute to that. Plus it gives that feeling of part-San Francisco, part-Japan that the design does.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I personally love City Living. I use it a lot in my gameplay.
  • ZaraZara Posts: 115 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I absolutely hate CL. Wish I never bought it. The worst part is it causes my game to overflood the worlds with Asian-named sims.

What's wrong with Asian names? Also, I personally loved City Living. I enjoyed the views of the city, the awesome new townies, the festivals, the new careers (politician, social media, etc.). I was quite disappointed at the lack of public lots that you could visit/create but it was worth it for me! :)
    I make profile pics and signatures for free. hmu if interested.
    kky9DsT.gif
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Zara wrote: »
    I absolutely hate CL. Wish I never bought it. The worst part is it causes my game to overflood the worlds with Asian-named sims.

What's wrong with Asian names? Also, I personally loved City Living. I enjoyed the views of the city, the awesome new townies, the festivals, the new careers (politician, social media, etc.). I was quite disappointed at the lack of public lots that you could visit/create but it was worth it for me! :)

I was wondering the same thing. What's wrong with Asian names? I've seen people complaining about this before as well. I know that it can be annoying if there is many sims that have similar names but I feel like people wouldn't have as big problem with it if those were "black or white names". But when it comes to showing Asian culture/names/people etc somewhere I feel like there are always some western people quietly not liking about it.
    I personally love seeing the variery of different cultures and Sims in TS4. I actually wish that we would get more traditional Asian world for TS4 because City Living only gave us some modern Asian vibes/stuff. I would also like to have Australia and Africa inspired worlds.
    I wish more people would celebrate equal diversity.
  • AbyArashiAbyArashi Posts: 386 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    i am just curious but does anyone ever feel kind of sad that the whole city of myshuso is just a backdrop and a place you actually cant walk around in or do you actually enjoy just being able to look but not vist anything in the city( yes i am aware you can go vist other lots) but again alot of the buildings are just fake backgrounds you cant interact with and i am really curious if everyone is okay with this.

I love CL and San Myshuno! (Big cities in general!) Even if I can't visit the whole city I enjoy the beautiful backdrop, I wish I could walk all the city tho, that would be amazing!
    My Origin ID is AbyArashi
  • AbyArashiAbyArashi Posts: 386 Member

I think they tried to create a name that had a mix of american-japanese feeling... Also I can't remember from what or where but San Myshuno comes from one of the first games I think!
    My Origin ID is AbyArashi
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018
    ItsJanier wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing. What's wrong with Asian names? I've seen people complaining about this before as well. I know that it can be annoying if there is many sims that have similar names but I feel like people wouldn't have as big problem with it if those were "black or white names". But when it comes to showing Asian culture/names/people etc somewhere I feel like there are always some western people quietly not liking about it.
    I personally love seeing the variery of different cultures and Sims in TS4. I actually wish that we would get more traditional Asian world for TS4 because City Living only gave us some modern Asian vibes/stuff. I would also like to have Australia and Africa inspired worlds.

The problem was that only the Asian names were the only npc produced if you installed city living. There were no more names of other cultures. The npc also stopped looking Asian, even with asian names. I had to start renaming all npc to fit their appearances. Also to help introduce a better balance, I started renaming anyone living outside San Myshuno with Norwegian, German, French, English, and Scandinavian based names.
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member

The problem was that only the Asian names were the only npc produced if you installed city living. There were no more names of other cultures. The npc also stopped looking Asian, even with asian names. I had to start renaming all npc to fit their appearances. Also to help introduce a better balance, I started renaming anyone living outside San Myshuno with Norwegian, German, French, English, and Scandinavian based names.

I understand that. That's why I said that I know it can be annoying when many people have similar names. I've renamed and restyles many NPC sims in my game too. They should fix that issue.

I just wanted to question the thing that I said in my previous comment to see why it happens and hear other opinions about it.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2018

I understand that. That's why I said that I know it can be annoying when many people have similar names. I've renamed and restyles many NPC sims in my game too. They should fix that issue.

I just wanted to question the thing that I said in my previous comment to see why it happens and hear other opinions about it.

I think the player needs to make the cultural variety. It should not be a forced mechanic in the game. Sure, my variety would primarily be only European based cultures (even as an American), but I may also enter in Sioux based culture too. The program generating the npc should be able to not be stuck in a rut on the names it produces. For this reason, I never start my games in San Myshuno. I start my family in Willow Creek or Windenberg and after a few sim days I move them to the city. I have found that is one way I can help in making it less likely certain cultural names are the primary focus. I also think the devs are aware their the npc generating mechanic may be a bit broken as it stopped just introducing culture and started to oversaturate with only one culture.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I love the vivid backdrops in all of the worlds. When I play my game it feels like.. well almost like they are in a movie. When they are doing anything outside it feels very full and immersive to me.
    When I played Sims 2 I really rarely played in a way that I could see the neighbors homes. I guess my computer couldn't handle it at that time. I It would stutter and run slow. I remember seeing houses sometimes with windows or doors missing... and of course you couldn't walk past your lot... or jog in the scenery.. or visit the community garden/fishing holes. Also just beyond the hood the world just looked flat and dull (well in comparison now) at that time I didn't think about it much to be honest. It was what it was. I only played 3 for a short time but the graphics did not appeal to me, or the travel time to get from point A to point B. I usually watched them run to get somewhere from above also.. so I didn't feel immersed at all. I'm pretty sure with a lot of work, building it up myself the area would have been more immersive and pretty to me. But I don't play that way. I like to start a new save and have it looking good right now and the vivid, lively backdrops serve to make that happen. Even when an area has empty lots the backdrops in the Sims 4 give me a good feeling.. like you are moving into an area with some open space that construction will soon come too.
    I think the only thing that bothers me is that if I want to build a certain style of neighborhood, say a run down trailer park. It doesn't come off well in many areas because lots of areas have super rich looking houses in the distance. So I'm limited when I'm making a neighborhood like that to putting it in a place like the least expensive area in Oasis Springs. I'm sure though as we get more worlds I'll be satisfied with the availability in that sense.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2018

There are cities with mountains around them. My daughter lives in one. She had a great mountain view from her apartment last year. (Her new apartment not so much.)

Myshuno is a game in Sims 2. The city name is a tribute to that. Plus it gives that feeling of part-San Francisco, part-Japan that the design does.

Luth is right, Seattle WA & Vancouver BC are two that spring immediately to mind. In my head canon those are the other side of the mountains that are seen in Windenberg which are the same mountains seen in Forgotten hollow, which I see as laying on the far side of a forest from WB, up in these mountains is Granite Falls National Park, and at the base of these same mountains lies Oasis Springs which is connected to Willow Creek by the highway that runs by the OS park. Magnolia Promenade is the shopping district that connects WC to Newcrest and Newcrest is a suburb of San Myshuno the island seen in Myshuno Bay is the same lighthouse island in Brindleton Bay as the two bays flow seamlessly together with the island being the dividing market between the two and both of these bays connect to Windenburg Bay. The town of Brindleton Bay can be reached from San Myshuno either by ferry or by a scenic drive up the coastline. The farmland seen in BB eventually leads just outside of Newcrest. Selvadorada however to me stands alone as separate country.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I don't see the issue with back drops, it looks nice and serves its purpose to look nice. So no I'm not upset at it at all really.

yes but you cant interact with it?

Would you rather have no back drop?

i would rather the world a place we can interact with like in the sims 3 :)

This is just my opinion, but I believe the worlds in the Sims 4 have a lot more interactivity than the worlds in the Sims 3 did. The only things the worlds in the Sims 3 were good for was traveling through it and living in it, there was no actual interactivity with the world itself, nothing that the world offered in terms of gameplay, or at least not much of it, while in Sims 4, specifically San Myshuno, there's always something to do in the world, whether that be join a protest, spray graffiti, attend the festivals, get a quick coffee at the food stall before going to work, watching buskers on the street, watching the living statue, becoming the living statue, using the sales tables to start a street sale to sell some goods, etc. most 'world interactivity' in Sims 3 took place on a lot venue, nothing that really emphasizes world interactivity, the one EP in Sims 3 that delivered great world interactivity (in my opinion) I would say is World Adventures, because the gameplay is focused on the new vacation worlds that can't be done elsewhere.

I could not agree more. CL may have its share of problems, but on the whole, I prefer TS4 to TS3 for so many reasons. Mainly because I can actually run TS4 without crashing unlike TS3. This game's open world concept is exactly what is necessary for gamers who can't afford insane PC setups to run things the way TS3 was designed.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Backdrops are a big part of Sims 4. Unless you want EP's to cost hundreds of dollars and take forever to load, this is the reality.
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I absolutely adore the backdrop we get in CL and I also enjoy the social options that packs gives us. I use WB and SM as social worlds more than anything and they both give a variety of social activities to do. I have to say out of three expansion packs i've bought (GTW, GT and CL) the one that has disappointed me is GTW.

I do understand the asian names bothering some people. I do think the game overuses them now but it doesn't put me off the pack all together.

So yeah, in summary I really like San Myshuno and being in the city in general.